PDA

View Full Version : DHT Indexer

WindWalkerX
10-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I've got a number of torrents in my queue that I reactivate from time to time. Several of them no longer feature a working tracker at all. And are no longer available from where I originally downloaded them. Yet, they still have peers. Though I'm often the only seed, I doubt theses are peers still kicking around from late 2009.
They're being added to the pool somehow and I'm wondering if it's not some sort of DHT indexer. Something like this exist?

anon
10-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Yet, they still have peers. Though I'm often the only seed, I doubt theses are peers still kicking around from late 2009.
They're being added to the pool somehow and I'm wondering if it's not some sort of DHT indexer.

Well, if you have DHT enabled for that torrent, then I don't see why not...

Raban
10-21-2010, 01:49 PM
why the hell would you have DHT enabled... do you consider yourself a professional in the torrent comunity ?? I DONT THINK SO with DHT enabled...

are you only belonging to like the pirate bay or something... that is like noob mistake 101 i mean i can't believe they even let you signup to FST with that kinda malarchy

anon
10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
why the hell would you have DHT enabled... do you consider yourself a professional in the torrent comunity ?? I DONT THINK SO with DHT enabled...

Please provide evidence of that having DHT enabled disrupts correct stats updating on private trackers. DHT does not apply for private torrents, so you have nothing to worry about.

Raban
10-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Please provide evidence of that having DHT enabled disrupts correct stats updating on private trackers. DHT does not apply for private torrents, so you have nothing to worry about.

uhmm excuse me ? ? ? is this a court of law i don't need evidence ! ! ! ! ! !

anon
10-21-2010, 02:27 PM
uhmm excuse me ? ? ? is this a court of law i don't need evidence ! ! ! ! ! !

:lol:

OK, provide proof of what you're saying, if that term suits you better. :happy:

Tokeman
10-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Nobody said these were from a private tracker. In any case, DHT essentially turns every peer into a tracker, for lack of a better term. Each peer then gives other peers information on who else is in the pool.
Thats my understanding anyway.

anon
10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Nobody said these were from a private tracker.

True, and your understanding of DHT is correct. :)

It's just that it kind of annoys me to see people say "turn DHT off, otherwise your private tracker stats will be incorrect, and you'll get banned for cheating" when DHT and PEX don't come into effect at all for private torrents. :sleep:

pro267
10-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Please provide evidence of that having DHT enabled disrupts correct stats updating on private trackers. DHT does not apply for private torrents, so you have nothing to worry about. It does if you're a cunt with poor morals and slightly more technical knowledge than a stool.

Oh, and as for the original question, the peers could've come from peer exchange, local peer discovery or DHT.

anon
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
It does if you're a cunt with poor morals and slightly more technical knowledge than a stool.

:unsure:

Sonnentier
10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
There are many torrent sites out there and also community boards that attach torrents at their place. It may be the peers are from sources like that, I also wondered about it already.

Having more than 1 peer in the DHT basically means that more than 1 torrent client asked about the torrent in the last hours or so (I don't know the timeouts of this DHT).

What you can do is to stop the torrent for a few days, then start it again and see if it still has peers - this would lower the impact leading to incorrect stats by your own footprints, so to say.