PDA

View Full Version : False Front Tracker Logins

Enlightened
10-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Just thinking aloud here, Does it really help with "security" having a false front Page , and do the necessary Re-direction to the eventual Login ?:01:

anon
10-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Does it really help with "security" having a false front Page , and do the necessary Re-direction to the eventual Login ?

Depends on what your notion of "security" is, I suppose. For most sites, simply reading the review here on FST should tell you it's a fake page, and sometimes how to get through it. Better than nothing, I guess :idunno:

gamesover
10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Just thinking aloud here, Does it really help with "security" having a false front Page , and do the necessary Re-direction to the eventual Login ?:01:

Every little bit helps, at least it can't hurt. The important thing to remember is even though the most complicated fake login page won't fool everyone, it will fool some people and thats what matters. I remember with one tracker to even see the login page I had to type a few words into a search bar, if I didn't have my cookies set and I forgot those words I'd have to go back and check my email. That was okay since I was a member I had that email saved, if I wasn't a member just a curious onlooker it would be a little more challenging. Also a tracker review only gives away so much, not every secret can be found in a screenshot. Some of them stay pretty well between members.

Monaco
10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
They do even less than using only acronyms to refer to sites. The chances of any random stumbling upon the url homepage of one of those sites is minimal, so anyone who arrives there probably knows what they are looking for.

Enlightened
10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
If it Does Not eally help. anyone that has an account are shown how to properly Login during the confirmation stage of the registrarion, why even bother with all the added work of coding to create a Redirection, that I don't think it really HELPS, IMHO

P.s. That is why I like PrOn sites, every thing is "Nake" to the eye. No hiding of anything, No False Front.......LMAO

IdolEyes787
10-21-2010, 08:02 PM

There was a huge long thread about this a few months ago.Maybe see if you can find it .

ca_aok
10-21-2010, 08:16 PM
It's essentially useless. Assuming the anti-p2p folks troll the internet for a classic TBDev or Gazelle login page is just dumb.

bijoy
10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
These fake pages are nothing but a joke in the name of security.

pro267
10-22-2010, 01:06 AM
It's essentially useless. Assuming the anti-p2p folks troll the internet for a classic TBDev or Gazelle login page is just dumb. What's dumb is assuming that that is the reason behind fake pages.

fstemon
10-22-2010, 02:13 AM
These fake pages are nothing but a joke in the name of security.

Exactly. It's more like "security through obscurity", and this "security" is pretty much NONE.

ca_aok
10-22-2010, 02:47 AM
It's essentially useless. Assuming the anti-p2p folks troll the internet for a classic TBDev or Gazelle login page is just dumb. What's dumb is assuming that that is the reason behind fake pages.
Care to enlighten us then oh wise one?

pro267
10-22-2010, 02:49 AM
What's dumb is assuming that that is the reason behind fake pages. Care to enlighten us then oh wise one? Not really, and certainly not here.

ca_aok
10-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Damn, someone's got an inflated self-image :lol:

pro267
10-22-2010, 03:36 AM
It only gets "inflated" when I see clueless people such as yourself, Mr. Cock, who think that just because they're on tracker X or Y they know everything there is to know about trackers, and allow themselves to dismiss a feature they don't understand the reasoning of as "dumb". On a side note, I usually consider anything that the vast majority here thinks is dumb as genial.

ca_aok
10-22-2010, 05:03 AM
Edit: not worth it, really. If you have a problem with me, feel free to PM me.

1000possibleclaws
10-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Secret login pages are essential to success, you should know better Mr. Cock!

ps: I've always secretly hoped that pro267 resembles his avatar IRL. That is one crazed bad-ass and pro267 is the only convincing forum-rager I know that can base arguments on pure spite :P

Enlightened
10-22-2010, 07:07 AM
So for the sake of argument,why only a handful of Trackers are employing it, if it really "Helps" in any way........I wonder?

gamesover
10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
So for the sake of argument,why only a handful of Trackers are employing it, if it really "Helps" in any way........I wonder?

Some of the trackers that employ it are pretty successful, so it could be helping.

Fishy2
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Secret login pages are essential to success, you should know better Mr. Cock!

That did actually make me chuckle out loud

Back on topic
Do they help?

Entirely context dependant, say someone goes to a page looking for tracker and finds .. weirdstuff.com , thinks sh*t this cant be it and f**ks off, its helped! Yay

If he finds weirdstuff.com and thinks yeh right, no help at all :noes:

pro267
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
ps: I've always secretly hoped that pro267 resembles his avatar IRL. That is one crazed bad-ass and pro267 is the only convincing forum-rager I know that can base arguments on pure spite Thanks, mate, I consider that a compliment :smilie4:

In other news, that's weird Al in my avatoir. I find it strange most don't recognize him.

gamesover
10-22-2010, 07:02 PM
ps: I've always secretly hoped that pro267 resembles his avatar IRL. That is one crazed bad-ass and pro267 is the only convincing forum-rager I know that can base arguments on pure spite Thanks, mate, I consider that a compliment :smilie4:

In other news, that's weird Al in my avatoir. I find it strange most don't recognize him.

I recognized him right away, then again I've also seen UHF at least 3 or 4 times. I'm a bit of a closeted Weird Al fan LOL.

Slickerey
10-22-2010, 08:13 PM
The only tracker with a login system that I like would happen to be CN.

Every user has their own unique login URL, which is something that you don't see on every other tracker.

Funkin'
10-22-2010, 09:50 PM
A very humorous thread.

Quarterquack
10-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Pro267, is it because of server stress relief then? A viable news outlet (reference)? I honestly can't think of any decision-making reason that could lead a staff-team to have a fake page instead of the lack of one. A lot of successful trackers skip this, and a lot of new trackers tout having one as a bonus for user security. If there's something incredibly obvious and necessary for having such a page, by all means shoot me a pm calling me an idiot and telling me why and what it is. But until then, I apologize, but I'm hardly convinced that these things exist for any logical reason.

zonked
10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
for a start

*#$% --> FTN

EDIT : I will remove that.

anon
10-23-2010, 04:24 PM
for a start

feedthe.net --> FTN

I really don't know what you want to achieve by posting that. :mellow:

zonked
10-23-2010, 04:54 PM
my point is they can as well keep only the IP and not have any name in first place.

ps. many top torrent sites do that.

Enlightened
10-23-2010, 05:01 PM
So far, I can ONLY see it helps, if one Google's a search, for the Tracker, and that person, NOT a member, Does NOT know the "Right" keyword or password to to feed it in the Fake Page, to cause a Redirection to the Actual Login page of the Tracker

bijoy
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM

that may help those trackers to get to some higher 'level' (specially for the new ones), making hype, etc etc.

DeadPoet
10-23-2010, 08:15 PM
You do realize that getting higher level is the last thing tracker staff would like to get?
It's useless for them and only brings unnecessary attention from traders/collectors...

pro267
10-23-2010, 11:01 PM
You do realize that getting higher level is the last thing tracker staff would like to get?
It's useless for them and only brings unnecessary attention from traders/collectors...
Exactly. The irony here is that the people who seem to think that trackers are trying to hype up themselves are precisely the people who are taken by hype themselves. They're so preoccupied by it that they seem to think that everything revolves around trying to hype something up.

lysine
10-24-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm guessing most fake login pages are to hide the site from the provider who is hosting the site.

Quarterquack
10-24-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm guessing most fake login pages are to hide the site from the provider who is hosting the site.

That makes little to no sense. Hiding from the host is a moot point, considering the host can just root in and check what files are hosted on the server exactly, past the login front. The only exception, is when you buy out a guy at the DC, in which case, it wouldn't make much sense having a fake front, then, would it?

At the same time, there are multiple hosts that will gladly cater to a demanding site's needs without giving a damn about the material or content hosted, especially in countries that don't have laws forbidding piracy/downloading (I've heard Korea/Canada are always a good call) or as long as jurisdiction doesn't apply (right past the US border for 90% of the media people juggle across servers).

ignis
10-24-2010, 09:47 PM
fake login pages like the one ftn uses are OK, I suppose. but some really overdo it (iTS comes to mind... :D)

Cabalo
10-25-2010, 02:54 AM

Can't agree with that. You should see what are the level submissions tracker staff put when they submit a tracker to the WTAW list. Haven't seen anything below 8 so far.
So yes, many many care about their level.

1000possibleclaws
10-25-2010, 03:59 AM
Also, post-2008 community trackers most likely depend at least in part on hype in order to get any activity whatsoever. Because there have been lots these trackers and not enough people who care for them to go around.

DeadPoet
10-25-2010, 07:24 AM

Can't agree with that. You should see what are the level submissions tracker staff put when they submit a tracker to the WTAW list. Haven't seen anything below 8 so far.
So yes, many many care about their level.

Bunch of hypocrats.
What a lame way of promoting your tracker. But I guess it's the only way if tracker doesn't offer anything exclusive content wise and only thing it could offer is secret/the best community. :lol:

Malvosita
10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
I like the waffles front - it actually provides a relatively functional wiki with proper recipes. Search "glass of water" or something to that effect.

Oh and deadpoet I appreciate your sig.

KushBlow
10-26-2010, 03:30 AM
I like the waffles front - it actually provides a relatively functional wiki with proper recipes. Search "glass of water" or something to that effect.

Oh and deadpoet I appreciate your sig.

Thanks to the fake Waffles page I can now serve my dinner guests Dog Barf Burritos tonight to really get the ball rolling. :)

Waddafocky
10-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Didn't see the dog barf, but that's funny as hell anyways.

DonkeyPacker
10-26-2010, 03:45 PM
The only reason we have ours is because it's fun. We are completely aware that the page will not 'protect' us by any great extent.

anon
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

Great article. And thanks to the fake page-wiki mixture, even those that aren't members on Waffles can benefit from the site. :D