PDA

View Full Version : utorrent vs deluge @ windows

kukushka
10-29-2010, 11:35 AM
so, i found out that in deluge it's a piece of cake to move torrent content between folders... could be very comfortable when rearranging stuff at pc where i seed a lot of torrents from what.cd, waffles etc...
in utorrent it's a nightmare to move selected torrents between folders while keeping it seeded, the easiest variant that had come to my mind is to delete it to recycle bin, then restore to a new folder and then rehash... in deluge it's a one-click operation. so.
what are possible flows of moving to deluge?
i don't need utp in particular case, all i want is labels, auto torrents adding from directory, folders moving... don't know, maybe smth else will come to mind... utorrent don't alert when auto adding new torrents with same hash, rtorrent does that, not sure if deluge will do. what's your deluge vs utorrent experience if any?

bijoy
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll still go for utorrent as it is older than deluge.

Cabalo
10-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I've never used it, but I have a couple of questions for you: does it support RSS feeds and has a webui ?

zonta
10-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I've never used it, but I have a couple of questions for you: does it support RSS feeds and has a webui ?

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=deluge+faq

whatcdfan
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM

i dont know abt RSS but certainly has webui, but in anycase i wud stick to utorrent prom my viewpoint its best

The_Martinator
10-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I moved to linux recently, so no utorrent (at least for the time being) for me. I've been using Deluge and it's good and all, I just have problems with my external HDD. First I had to reformat it so I could set permissions on it. Now it works, but it has to recheck all the files that I'm seeding from there each time I reboot my computer. The files from the internal HDD that I'm seeing don't have to be rechecked on reboot, they just start seeding. Maybe there's a trick that I don't know...

As for Wins, stick with utorrent, afaik it isn't that hard to move stuff there.

kukushka
10-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I moved to linux recently, so no utorrent (at least for the time being) for me. I've been using Deluge and it's good and all, I just have problems with my external HDD. First I had to reformat it so I could set permissions on it. Now it works, but it has to recheck all the files that I'm seeding from there each time I reboot my computer. The files from the internal HDD that I'm seeing don't have to be rechecked on reboot, they just start seeding. Maybe there's a trick that I don't know...

let's say you have a directory with a thousand of torrents and you need to split it to 20 directories. in utorrent there's no standart procedure for this. the only reasonable way is through recycle bin (and not on win xp with its trashcan limited to 4gb). so it's a pita to reorganise stuff.

2 cabalo - rss is done through some plugin but personally i'm not particularly interested, i have other pc with utorrent to do rss tricks

...i'm not looking for a total switch, there's no need for it, utorrent does his job with leeching stuff, i just don't feel comfortable with this folder moving thing.
ps huh, even reallocation of stuff within .torrent is realised much better in deluge, in utorrent it's right click/relocate... for every file.. in deluge it can be done right within files tab

b3owulf
10-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Noone knows when it's gonna exactly happen (maybe in v2.2) but uTorrent developers mentioned (http://torrentfreak.com/eight-cool-new-utorrent-features-coming-soon-100818/) that one of the main features they are working on is making an adequate system for moving downloaded stuff. Stay tuned!

cinephilia
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
http://f*lesharefreak.com/2008/11/02/utorrent-move-all-your-downloaded-files-keep-seeding/ (http://**************.com/2008/11/02/utorrent-move-all-your-downloaded-files-keep-seeding/)

kukushka
10-29-2010, 02:15 PM
http://f*lesharefreak.com/2008/11/02/utorrent-move-all-your-downloaded-files-keep-seeding/ (http://**************.com/2008/11/02/utorrent-move-all-your-downloaded-files-keep-seeding/)
it's for moving all shit from some folder to other location, for moving a part of it it's almost useless

Waddafocky
10-29-2010, 03:03 PM
I've tried both - I liked utorrent because it uses the WinAPI for drawing - for some reason, GTK bindings just don't cut it with me.

Stabber
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Deluge is nice , but it's too bloated compared to utorrent

kukushka
10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
hmm.. testing deluge. labels are working a bit differently, i have to write down the new label and then assign torrents to it..
there's no stop mode for torrents, only pause, so after rehashing it automatically goes active, kinda sucks...
stupid thing can't auto add unicode named torrents, but through included autoadd plugin it works just fine.
i think i'll run them side by side and see whichever will annoy me less.

Stabber
10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I really like that torrents are separated into each tracker

cinephilia
10-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I really like that torrents are separated into each tracker
same here, so i can stop and remove the TL and IPT ones right after downloading them :O

anon
10-29-2010, 08:21 PM
same here, so i can stop and remove the TL and IPT ones right after downloading them :O

Leecher. :dry:

uTorrent has built-in automated hit & running, anyway...

cap87
10-30-2010, 12:54 PM

i'm also having this exact problem as well with a slave internal hdd (which i use for my downloads in both windows and linux), i think it has something with mounting the drive on boot (since i have deluge also set to run on startup) but i might be wrong. I haven't gave a deep look into it though.

kukushka
10-30-2010, 12:55 PM
hmm... very high cpu usage & it can't properly leech torrents with unicode named content, so i'll have to pass for the moment. too bad

hijump
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
i think Utorrent is better

cinephilia
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
for the record, the question is: what's your deluge vs utorrent experience if any?

Il_Professore
11-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for useless post,keep them coming!

herbsgalore
11-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I like utorrent, so i'm sticking with it

anon
11-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Great, this just turned into a 1-word postcount spam thread. :dabs:

bijoy
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Great, this just turned into a 1-word postcount spam thread. :dabs:

And specially useful for those who wanna post 20 posts so that they can access the invite thread.. :P

cinephilia
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
lately i saw many users being able to request trackers in the invite section with less than 20 posts. how come ?

anon
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
lately i saw many users being able to request trackers in the invite section with less than 20 posts. how come ?

Either the posts were deleted after they gained access to that section (they aren't demoted automatically), or they had access from back when the requirement was a mere two posts.

cinephilia
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
that must be it. i didn't think about that.

kukushka
11-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Noone knows when it's gonna exactly happen (maybe in v2.2) but uTorrent developers mentioned (http://torrentfreak.com/eight-cool-new-utorrent-features-coming-soon-100818/) that one of the main features they are working on is making an adequate system for moving downloaded stuff. Stay tuned!
adequate? who said adequate? in this link it's not mentioned. so the 2.2 is out and they f.cked as much as they could comparing to deluge. reallocation is only possible by one torrent at a time and if your .torrent content is a directory, you can't point to the root directory of your new location, only to its base folder, so if you want to reallocate some blu-ray, you have to create a new folder before moving, like video\avatar or all the stuff will go directly to video folder.

anon
11-12-2010, 03:10 PM
so the 2.2 is out and they f.cked as much as they could comparing to deluge.

Personally, I don't like 2.2's new UI too much (even after toggling the apps and search bars off), but nowadays I only use uTorrent to sed what I've snatched back in my torrenting days, so it doesn't really matter.

kukushka, did you try suggesting those changes on the uTorrent forums?

kukushka
11-12-2010, 03:40 PM
i've heard that there is a 2.0.4 skin for the new utorrent, i'm yet to try it. as for suggestions, there are thousands of them at their forums so hardly it will be noticed. if programmers don't try to use their brains to make things logical and simple to use, hardly some random suggestions can teach them how to do their obvious job.
i actually have a strong suspicion that the new ugly skin is made so people will start to look for add-ons at their site, then they'll try to use some apps which will lead one way or another to earning a bit of money by bt. inc etc etc

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=539732

anon
11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
i've heard that there is a 2.0.4 skin for the new utorrent, i'm yet to try it.

The skin isn't an issue for me, I've already found some good toolbar and torrent icons.

To be honest, after playing a bit with the settings you can make it more or less usable, though look at this, for example:

http://imgur.com/1Hcxo.gif

kukushka
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
another new feature - unused free space
http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=88204