PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Friendly VPS

executioner
10-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey I am currently looking for a VPS provider that you know dont mind having torrent clients installed.

I have found hostfolks but I am unsure if they are a strictly NO or a Don't Ask Don't Tell provider.

Any help on this would be great.

andra
10-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Try knowinservers they are great and you can install torrentclients from their vpscontroll panel.

executioner
10-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah thanks I got one from them earlier, just waiting for it to be setup now:-)

Shinzen
11-01-2010, 07:12 AM
as in the case of knowinservers

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=977539

Thelen
11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I think you mean knowinservers?

Anyway, I've talked to the owner a bit and he doesn't seem like a scammer, as always you will get some customers that have a bad experience.

Having said that, obviously some of those ticket responses are really quite terrible and not warranted.

As always, you get what you pay for. Budget DC, budget network, budget hardware, budget IT support (knowin outsource) = budget VPS :)

andra
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
i did get about 30MB/s up and down with their vps and the setup time was about 5 min.

But things might have change.

Shinzen
11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Yupe i mean knowinservers i jus want make that aware of whats goin on there which will help him face the music better

"As always, you get what you pay for" i agree

Thelen
11-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Apparently the complainer is a smart ass kid who is a friend of the owner, but yea he didn't really give me a good response for why the staff posted that except for blaming the customer... not very good lol.

lmn8r
11-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Anyone got any test ips for knowinservers? I'm curious what datacenters they use.

Thelen
11-02-2010, 01:23 PM
They use netdirekt and 100tb.com and possibly leaseweb shortly.

Shinzen
11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
lol shit happens.......he could have sorted that out easily if he is friend of the owner guess v cant make assumptions by some complaints of some random kid then.anyways thanks for clearing this one

CevapsizSorular
11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Other users on servers Winraring, uploading on RS, HF, mediafire etc. You won't get good speeds. And if you get speeds you won't see that is stable. Speed will be so foggy; meaning vavy. Now you get 12 Mb/s 3 seconds later it goes 3 KB/s and it goes. It is about other users. And %99 people on KnowinServers are using their VPS for warezing, https. You could check it on Wjunction.

I used their VPS for torrenting. It is not for torrent. But if you want warezing it is good.

KnowinServers
11-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Yupe i mean knowinservers i jus want make that aware of whats goin on there which will help him face the music better

"As always, you get what you pay for" i agree

Well, thanks for pointing it out .
Users always read the title but fail to read the entire thread.
I admit, that at a point we were having issues with our services, but that was limited to the windows vps only.
And there is only one bad review from this guy, who spammed the whole net with his posts, and unfortunately he was one of my old customers and my friend too.
And TBH, the reason he posted these unwanted things , he was calling me on my phone and i failed to answer his call as i had left my phone in my car,
but i did call him and cleared his issues :)
He wanted to clean those threads, but he couldnt as WHT didnt allow him to edit his posts after 24 hours i guess,
and thats the story of a Friend becoming your customer, then your enemy and then back as a friend. :P
Things happen, and after all he is a school kid, what else can we expect :)

Anyways, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7029062&postcount=17
You should read the conclusion of this thread and if you have any further questions, do let me know :)

raj1402
11-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi,

its me the topic creator,
actually i was bit ***** then

All issues are now solved , KnowinServers is still the best for me
i still continue their sevice for past few months no issues what so ever
its just one bad day happens to everyone!!!

i can recommend knowin severs for their best customer care, speed and great plans

Regards
Raj1402

Shinzen
11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
ok thanks for clearing this one out

executioner
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM

From my VPS, not bad, best I have had it, and it was stable around that for a while.

CevapsizSorular
11-05-2010, 10:22 PM

From my VPS, not bad, best I have had it, and it was stable around that for a while.

Other users on servers Winraring, uploading on RS, HF, mediafire etc. You won't get good speeds. And if you get speeds you won't see that is stable. Speed will be so foggy; meaning vavy. Now you get 12 Mb/s 3 seconds later it goes 3 KB/s and it goes. It is about other users. And %99 people on KnowinServers are using their VPS for warezing, https. You could check it on Wjunction.

I used their VPS for torrenting. It is not for torrent. But if you want warezing it is good.

Yea

executioner
11-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Yea

I thought the part that said "and it was stable" covered that. My speeds are stable all the time so far, the only thing that is effecting me is lack of memory, if I had more the speed would be better.

unoriginal
11-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Are you on one of the Gigabit speed plans? or the 100?

executioner
11-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Are you on one of the Gigabit speed plans? or the 100?

100 german plan

lmn8r
11-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been with 2host.com for a short while doing heavy torrenting, so far they haven't put up a stink. I found them cuz I saw a tracker running from their ip block so I figured hey, why not. Their datacenter is Netriplex, ashville NC. Their hard drives are heavily oversold, so I would recommend going with the more expensive SAS hard disk vps plans. I have an SATA plan and I do anywhere from 1-6mb/sec depending on disk load. Bandwidth isn't a problem though, they give you 10tb on 1gbps, but i've only maxed out at 8mb/sec due to the hard drive.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2834/2host.png

A typical day torrenting =) As you can see i'm running utorrent on wine in vnc. CPU load is always very low, so other then the overworked hard drives, they're running decent hardware specs. After this month ends i'll probably try out their SAS plan. They have a nice Centos 5.5 with gnome + vnc os image you can install, do browsing and stuff.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3105/2host2.png

Thelen
11-08-2010, 11:03 PM
What plan are you using?

Seem to be decent prices, though there is obviously a tonne of overselling going on as you say.

I lol @ the $2.95 plan with 10TB traffic, even if you could actually DO that much traffic, it would cost then over $10 for that LOL.

Also:

Most of our competitors use low to midrange servers, ranging from single socket servers, to cheap dual socket servers, with oversold memory up to 16GB RAM, and utilizing cheaper SATA drives that are only 7,200RPM, not designed for 24/7 server use, and prone to failures and performance issues.

Looks like it is industry standard to badmouth after all ;) And what makes it even worse, I can't find any VPS providers out there at all that use low/midrange servers. Even Santrex budget VPS use dual quad core with more than 16GB. lol...

Thelen
11-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I am trying the cheapo plan, 5GB space etc, lol it seems ok. I've done 110GB traffic over night on 3 public TV torrents, and its still doing about 1MB/s from 2.5MB/s peak :D

lmn8r
04-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Still using 2host. They are getting rid of their Asheville, NC location, which kinda sucks. No more super fast FTP speeds for me. They're moving all servers to San Jose, CA where I assume it's cheaper. The bgp mix there is highwinds/HE. I've already racked up multiple DMCA warnings so far, and still a customer, which is pretty good for USA based host. The new San Jose plans don't have 15k rpm drives, but they do run raid 1+0 so disk I/O is still fairly good.

I'm also testing a boxslots.com VPS for an eu location, Leaseweb bandwidth (rs reseller). Disc i/o is again decent, I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet. So no final verdict on them yet.