PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality - losing our access?

suz5cam
10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
I was Googling some network questions and found this article about Network Neutrality. Actually, the crazy title of the article caught my eye:

Net Neutrality = Large Telcom companies out to rape the common people and their crappy little websites – working with prostituting politicians selling out the rights of the citizen they represent so that can put money in their pockets to stay in office.

http://pusz4frog.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/net-neutrality-large-telcom-companies-out-to-rape-the-common-people-and-their-crappy-little-websites-%e2%80%93-working-with-prostituting-politicians-selling-out-the-rights-of-the-citizen-they-repre/

I didn't realize that our right to an equal Internet experience was in jeopardy. I can't believe the stupid Republicans held up the Net Neutrality act.

Yeah, it is clear that the Telco's are paying off the Republican because they will sell there souls cheep. Actually, I think all politicians will sell their souls, maybe not cheep but sell they will.

I hope the FCC will rule that broadband is a telecom service subject to common carrier rules will treat all traffic equally.

Damn Telco's, crappy wireless reception, over-priced services and now they want to rule the Internet and rip us all off. Like my cell phone bill isn't enough of a rip off!!

This is really the first time I have heard of this net neutrality issue.

How big an issue is Net Neutrality for us, the average citizen?

If the Telco's have their way, if I set-up a blog or small website then I would have to pay a lot of money to get the same traffic speed that I would today?

Why would anyone support the idea of letting these Telco's run the Internet and rip us off?

Obviously, this is a really problem for file sharing, correct?

If the FCC dosen't rule that broadband is a telecom service subject to common carrier rules, then all the telco's will throttle back torrents, right?

anon
10-31-2010, 09:10 PM
How big an issue is Net Neutrality for us, the average citizen?

It may not be much of an issue for the average user that just wants to surf and check their e-mail, but I don't think that's the kind of people that frequent this forum section.

If the Telco's have their way, if I set-up a blog or small website then I would have to pay a lot of money to get the same traffic speed that I would today?

Most likely. If they all agree on doing that, then it'd be pretty much a monopoly on that regard, and you'd be screwed. Read the link below for more.

Why would anyone support the idea of letting these Telco's run the Internet and rip us off?

Same reason as always: being on the winning side and getting money.

Obviously, this is a really problem for file sharing, correct?

Yes, it is. You've probably heard about the Comcast drama about sandvining and throttling. The very ISP I'm using myself shapes P2P traffic, and blatantly lies about it, also. Can you imagine that on a global scale? :sleep:

If the FCC dosen't rule that broadband is a telecom service subject to common carrier rules, then all the telco's will throttle back torrents, right?

Eventually, yes. It's much easier and less expensive than buying new equipment that can handle the load.

If you're interested:
http://www.lookingglassnews.org/viewstory.php?storyid=7241