PDA

View Full Version : How do I download from specific peers only- on utorrent?

hulabula
11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey all. I can share at good down/up speeds (more than 20x my normal bandwidth) with peers on my WAN. Is there way to kick all other peers except the ones on my WAN on a single torrent? I want to keep my normal bandwidth channels free for browsing and other online activities.

anon
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey all. I can share at good down/up speeds (more than 20x my normal bandwidth) with peers on my WAN. Is there way to kick all other peers except the ones on my WAN on a single torrent?

Use the ipfilter.dat to block all IP ranges except the ones those peers are on. Other than that, uTorrent won't let you hand-pick who you want to connect to (as far as I know).

ca_aok
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
You could write an IP filter to block every IP except for the range for your internal WAN. This would be utterly pointless though and defeats the entire purpose of torrenting. What if you're trying to download something that a peer on your WAN doesn't have a copy?

If you're concerned about other online activities, consider throttling your speeds, max number of peers, or perhaps setting up some QoS rules on your router.

Cabalo
11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey all. I can share at good down/up speeds (more than 20x my normal bandwidth) with peers on my WAN. Is there way to kick all other peers except the ones on my WAN on a single torrent?

Use the ipfilter.dat to block all IP ranges except the ones those peers are on. Other than that, uTorrent won't let you hand-pick who you want to connect to (as far as I know).
This works. We used to do the same back on ed2k times, when we had limited international traffic. I remember you had to change the ipfilter.dat loading parameter to accept only and then insert the allowed ip ranges on a ipfilter.dat.
Do you know which are the ranges you want to allow ?

anon
11-05-2010, 05:21 PM
This works. We used to do the same back on ed2k times, when we had limited international traffic.

Some Portuguese guy/team coded a mod called eMule Bowlfish, which as far as I know is the same as the official program, except that it has the "connect to Portugal IPs only" feature built-in. :)

Just in case anyone's reading this and interested, here's a site that will give you all known IP ranges for one or more countries:
http://ip.ludost.net/

Cabalo
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
That's exactly the bowlfish I was talking about. I know personally one of the coders, and at some point I was involved on the beta testing and feature development.
I'll check my stuff, I probably have the how-to filter IP ranges somewhere.

hulabula
11-05-2010, 06:19 PM
This works. We used to do the same back on ed2k times, when we had limited international traffic. I remember you had to change the ipfilter.dat loading parameter to accept only and then insert the allowed ip ranges on a ipfilter.dat.
Do you know which are the ranges you want to allow ?

The thing is I don't want to globally ban ip ranges of peers outside my WAN. I want to get rid of non-local peers only on just a handful of torrents and temporarily too. Temporarily because often we split the bandwidth load when downloading large packs, so at one time or another I have to connect to non-local peers on the respective torrents. But thanks for the advice about ipfilter. I hadn't thought of that. I can simply use two clients- one with ipfilter enabled and the other without.

What if you're trying to download something that a peer on your WAN doesn't have a copy?

Yeah, that's the case most of the times. But we collaborate when we want local peer transfers.

anon
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
But thanks for the advice about ipfilter. I hadn't thought of that. I can simply use two clients- one with ipfilter enabled and the other without.

And you can disable or swap the ipfilter.dat file for another one, and then reload it in your second instance, when you no longer want to block non-WAN peers. It's a pretty good workaround.

ca_aok
11-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Also beware that some private trackers will assume you're cheating if they see your speeds jump several times above the reasonable speed for an ISP in your area. This happens pretty often in those situations. Personally I have local peer discovery turned off, we shared stuff across our university's WAN via DC++ anyway.

hulabula
11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Also beware that some private trackers will assume you're cheating if they see your speeds jump several times above the reasonable speed for an ISP in your area. This happens pretty often in those situations. Personally I have local peer discovery turned off, we shared stuff across our university's WAN via DC++ anyway.

We have been doing it on IPT for nearly 2 years and haven't run into any issues so far. I don't think speed jumps shouldn't raise any flags unless there are cheaters in the swarm, since up/down traffic should match after compensating for bad data. Besides I'm sure there is very little data available on reasonable speeds in Bangladesh (where I'm at) considering the sparse internet usage here. I don't understand why you turned LPD off, btw. It's a great feature unless you think it's an invasion of privacy or your chances of stumbling on a torrent with local peers is nil. I used to share over apps like DC++ too earlier, but now I'd rather do it over trackers since it helps in building buffers. Lucky for me that all people I transfer files to are on almost all the trackers I'm on and on the same WAN too. :D

anon
11-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't think speed jumps shouldn't raise any flags

That's more or less ca_aok's point. :lol:

I don't understand why you turned LPD off, btw. It's a great feature unless you think it's an invasion of privacy or your chances of stumbling on a torrent with local peers is nil.

Edit: did some searching, supposedly it should find peers from your same ISP also, though it never worked for me.

hulabula
11-05-2010, 09:58 PM
That's more or less ca_aok's point. :lol:

lol, I meant to write should

Edit: did some searching, supposedly it should find peers from your same ISP also

Yeah, in fact the WAN I'm on covers 3 different ISPs (with a combined userbase of at least 10000).

zot
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
You can also try using a torrent client that allows temp-banning other peers. That was one feature I liked about BitComet. It allowed me to ban leeches with just 2 mouseclicks.

Another tool could be bandwidth shaping programs like Netlimiter which allow you to manage traffic.

anon
11-05-2010, 11:35 PM
You can also try using a torrent client that allows temp-banning other peers. That was one feature I liked about BitComet. It allowed me to ban leeches with just 2 mouseclicks.

Unfortunately, many private trackers don't allow BitComet due to its "bad reputation". The same applies to Vuze (which has manual kicking features, also), on a lesser scale.