PDA

View Full Version : Quick Torrent Client Question

Slickerey
11-13-2010, 03:14 AM
I know this might sound a bit noobish, but will having the same torrent seeding to two different trackers get you banned?

I remember reading about this somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.

I have a torrent seeding on two different trackers. Would it be considered cheating? Would my client send and report data correctly to both trackers?

:wacko:

Champo101
11-13-2010, 03:47 AM
from BCG's FAQ:

# Can I use two torrent clients on the same torrent to increase my upload speed?
No, and it is considered cheating because it messes with the announces, expect a ban if you do this.

So about the same thing, I would never do it.

EDIT: Oops just noticed that last line, not sure about that lol might need more details

yevgeny
11-13-2010, 03:55 AM
hi. if there is one single torrent file that has been edited or whatever to seed to another tracker. - what would be the point? the client updates the tracker on all data for that torrent. so if the amount of data reported by the client doesn\'t match.. that might be a problem. im guessing though i don\'t really know why you would want to have one torrent seeding to multiple trackers unless its a bunch of public ones. wouldn\'t you just have two identical torrent files sharing the same data ie cross seeding?

Waddafocky
11-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Slickerey, you need to cross seed.

For that, you need to add the torrent files from both sites to your client - e.g. download one from IPT, the other from TL, and point them to the same files. That should be fine, unless the rules explicitly disallow cross-seeding. For that, you should ask at each tracker's forums whether cross-seeding is allowed (or check the rules)

hulabula
11-13-2010, 04:55 AM
I have a torrent seeding on two different trackers. Would it be considered cheating? Would my client send and report data correctly to both trackers?

Yes it would be considered cheating since your client would report the sum of the upload on that torrent between announces to each tracker.

The problem is both torrents have the same hash, so your client (I'm guessing utorrent) only allows you to add trackers from the second torrent to the existing one, instead of letting you run individual torrents pointed to the same download location. I have no idea how to work around that.

kukushka
11-13-2010, 06:37 AM
if your torrents have the same hashes so they just mix in one torrent in client with two announce strings = cheating. if they have diff hashes (like it happends in 90% of cases with 0day trackers) - it's ok. the only workaround with the same hashes is to use two clients

Waddafocky
11-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Basically, if your client asks you whether to merge announce strings - DON'T DO IT. Do what kukushka says. Or look up "cross tracker seeding".

whatcdfan
11-13-2010, 02:15 PM
almost all the trackers i am member of sharing torrents on other trackers is not allowed and the worst part is, on most of the trackers u wont get a warning before getting banned also before cross seeding check the FAQ's on some trackers its not allowed either

CleverMan
11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
actually i seeded from 1 torrent to about to 3-4 trackers (could you believe that? popular upload :)), never got warning or ban. Well speed wasn't too big. I understand this may kinda send false stats, but hey, it's better to seed that not, isn't it? (i don't consider running 3-4 separate uTorrents like a solution for me)

whatcdfan
11-13-2010, 02:30 PM
i don't consider running 3-4 separate uTorrents like a solution for me

or u can seed same torrent with different hash value on as many trackers as u wish to

cinephilia
11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
i've always thought you could run several torrents with the same exact hash as long as they are renamed differently. i might be wrong tho.

whatcdfan
11-13-2010, 03:04 PM
i've always thought you could run several torrents with the same exact hash as long as they are renamed differently. i might be wrong tho.

utorrent identifies torrents with the hash value and not with their names

cinephilia
11-13-2010, 03:12 PM
then i guess an error message would pop-up saying that the torrent i'm trying to add is already in the list of torrents, right ?

whatcdfan
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
well i m not sure but whenever i tried to do that a pop up appeared sayin "the torrent u r trying to add is already running are u trying to load trackers from it?"

anon
11-13-2010, 04:04 PM
if your torrents have the same hashes so they just mix in one torrent in client with two announce strings = cheating. if they have diff hashes (like it happends in 90% of cases with 0day trackers) - it's ok. the only workaround with the same hashes is to use two clients

Basically, if your client asks you whether to merge announce strings - DON'T DO IT. Do what kukushka says. Or look up "cross tracker seeding".

This.

then i guess an error message would pop-up saying that the torrent i'm trying to add is already in the list of torrents, right ?

Correct, and you'd be asked to "load the trackers from it", which you shouldn't do. The only solution would then be running separate instances.

If the hashes are different, just follow this tutorial:
http://**************.com/2008/10/24/seed-the-same-files-to-multiple-trackers-in-utorrent/