PDA

View Full Version : Seeding tips for Comcast Users?

byrnesc1
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm trying to get my ratio up on a few trackers but I'm not sure if it's comcasts sandvining or just the amount of seeders available. I've done a few tutorials for utorrent users to encrypt them and open them to unencrypted users etc but still no improvement. Anyone else in the same boat or have any tips?

anon
11-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm trying to get my ratio up on a few trackers but I'm not sure if it's comcasts sandvining or just the amount of seeders available.

You can tell if you pay some attention. If you begin uploading to someone and the transfer rate increases and then suddenly drops to zero, you're sandvined. I've heard Comcast mostly stopped doing that, though - which tracker are you having seeding problems on?

Anyway, you can try this (http://wakarimasu.googlepages.com/windows), buy a VPN service, or rent a seedbox and have it do your torrenting for you.

byrnesc1
11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm having trouble on waffles. I'm not sure if I'm just not picking up seeds or whats up. Anyways does that fix work on windows 7 or xp/vista only?

A
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Also ty this:http://lifehacker.com/5691489/how-can-i-find-out-if-my-isp-is-limiting-my-download-speed

anon
11-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm having trouble on waffles. I'm not sure if I'm just not picking up seeds or whats up.

Do you mean "not picking up leechers"?

Waffles is known to be hard to seed on. You'll have to upload your own albums and permanently seed anything to keep a good ratio there.

byrnesc1
11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm having trouble on waffles. I'm not sure if I'm just not picking up seeds or whats up.

Do you mean "not picking up leechers"?

Waffles is known to be hard to seed on. You'll have to upload your own albums and permanently seed anything to keep a good ratio there.

haha yeah I meant leechers, I realized that right after I posted it but had to run. Would you say waffles is harder to seed than say, what.cd? I've been uploading some albums but even then it's still hard to get people to leech, especially because I'm only uploading what's not on there, which isn't exactly the most popular or sought after albums. Appreciate the help though

anon
11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
haha yeah I meant leechers, I realized that right after I posted it but had to run. Would you say waffles is harder to seed than say, what.cd?

What.cd may be slightly easier, because they have much more users than Waffles. They also have many seedboxers autodownloading new torrents that meet certain conditions (being released this year is one of them).

byrnesc1
11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Hmph, I tried for a while to get a what.cd invite and I was all but set to try the IRC interview when a waffles invite fell into my lap. At this point now, I'm just trying to contribute to the site in other ways (posting on the forums, uploading what I can, filling requests, etc)

Tokeman
11-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Just a note, I have comcast, and they have not been messing with my uploading for some time now, and only really did mess with it for like a month when they did.
For me though, music specific sites have always been harder to seed at. I had both what and waffles, and found waffles very hard to seed at compared to what, and ended up with just what as my music tracker as a result.

Results may vary though :)

Waddafocky
11-18-2010, 12:04 PM
+1 what is easier to seed at than waffles.

byrnesc1
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Just a note, I have comcast, and they have not been messing with my uploading for some time now, and only really did mess with it for like a month when they did.
For me though, music specific sites have always been harder to seed at. I had both what and waffles, and found waffles very hard to seed at compared to what, and ended up with just what as my music tracker as a result.

Results may vary though :)
Where are you located, if I may ask?

Tokeman
11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
USA - Midwest

hotshot6473
11-19-2010, 05:41 PM
If you have Comcast and use torrents you are forced to get business class which has no restrictions but costs a little bit more

Tokeman
11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
If you have Comcast and use torrents you are forced to get business class which has no restrictions but costs a little bit more

Why do you say that? I know there's a traffic cap for regular users, but its quite high (for me anyway), and I have no trouble on the normal class...

byrnesc1
11-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Hmmm, well I'm in philly, perhaps Comcast being headquartered just a few miles down the street from my house might have to do with why theyre still practicing this. Unfortunately, I'm broke and in college and can barely afford regular class from comcast.

Tokeman
11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Are you certain they are still messing with your uploads? Have you tried downloading and seeding to larger sites like TL to see if its a peer problem and not a comcast one?

optimgr
11-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I have a very similar problem. I have comcast and use Utorrent 1.8.2 and my ratio sux on some private trackers. I am not sure if it's utorrent or comcast thats causing the problem. I've been thinking of switching to another client to see if that helps. Any ideas?

anon
11-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I have a very similar problem. I have comcast and use Utorrent 1.8.2 and my ratio sux on some private trackers.

Could you tell us exactly why your ratio "sucks" and what those trackers are?