PDA

View Full Version : Seeds or seeders?

lol87
11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
What is the correct English term for this? I've been wondering with this issue for a long time, so hopefully some expert can clear this up for me and for others.

pone44
11-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Both,I guess.

anon
11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Both,I guess.

Seconded. Personally, I prefer "seeders", though uTorrent uses "seeds".

ElitUser
11-24-2010, 11:08 PM
When you transfer the files on p2p protocol it's known SEED.
example :- I seed this file.
When there are lots of users who seed their files on p2p protocol then those p2p users are call SEEDER.

bijoy
11-25-2010, 05:10 AM
When there are lots of users who seed their files on p2p protocol then those p2p users are call SEEDER.

You have explained this nicely.
By the way, we don't have to worry about the right word, but we have to worry about about the downloading speed (i.e. number of "seeders").. :)

kurdt
11-25-2010, 05:47 AM

Am I correct in guessing English is not your first language?

By the way, we don't have to worry about the right word, but we have to worry about about the downloading speed (i.e. number of "seeders").. :)

Speed doesn't necessarily come from number of people seeding. On some sites you connect to 1 seed and it maxes out your connection, while on others you connect to 100 seeds, it doesn't max out and messes up the router. When i was on public sites, though, i used to think the same thing. Now i only worry about the UPLOADING speed.

Quarterquack
11-25-2010, 06:44 AM

You're an idiot.

You're another idiot.

On-topic:
20 seeds are provided by 20 seeders, just as 20 recipes are provided by 20 cooks. The fact that the nomenclature of our bittorrent world uses a very limited number of roots for the nouns in use, says enough about the people that developed the protocol.

"Seeds" is used to describe the presence of a seed, as in, "There are twenty seeds" refers to the fact that twenty volumes of the file exist at your disposal. "Seeders" is used when referring to the people providing said "Seeds", as in when "There are twenty seeders" there are twenty people providing volumes of the file that you desperately need. Now, it obviously sucks that they both refer to an equal quantity in practicality, while not referring to the same entity. I'm obviously no pragmatics expert, but that seems to be the predominant way those words are used and have developed. A truly good argument would be the fact that only in bittorrent can a sentence like "Seeders provide seeds by seeding" exist have meaning, and have idiots like the two quotes above follow it without being so much as comprehensible.

ScottK
11-25-2010, 10:23 AM
You're an idiot.

You're another idiot.

On-topic:
blah blah blah..

i guess their explanation are easy to understand. not really an idiot :ermm:

anon
11-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Speed doesn't necessarily come from number of people seeding. On some sites you connect to 1 seed and it maxes out your connection, while on others you connect to 100 seeds, it doesn't max out and messes up the router.

Correct. More sources and connections doesn't necessarily equal faster speeds.

whatcdfan
11-25-2010, 02:31 PM
i want idoleyes to show up............:yup:

ca_aok
11-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I use them interchangeably, but more often I'll refer to the property of the torrent as "Seeds" (as in, that torrent has 82 seeds), and the specific person/people as "Seeders" (as in, that seeder is unconnectible).

whatcdfan
11-25-2010, 06:15 PM
seed i think is the process of transferring the data, an act (verb) whereas seeders are the one's doing this act.

CleverMan
11-25-2010, 08:12 PM
seed is also another word for semen (in the meaning sperm too), if you didn't know :lol:

afmr
11-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Both,I guess.

Seconded. Personally, I prefer "seeders", though uTorrent uses "seeds".

yep

bijoy
11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
You're an idiot.

You're another idiot.

On-topic:
blah blah blah..

i guess their explanation are easy to understand. not really an idiot :ermm:

Getting unexcepted support..
Lucky? Aren't we? ;)

ElitUser
11-26-2010, 05:15 PM
A idiot person think rest of all are an idiot and this is how an idiot person can be recognize.

Night0wl
11-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I've always thought of seeds as complete copies i.e. if there are 30 seeders and 70 leechers making 100 peers, where the 70 leechers had 10 complete copies amongst them, there would be 30 seeders but 40 seeds.

Quarterquack
11-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I've always thought of seeds as complete copies i.e. if there are 30 seeders and 70 leechers making 100 peers, where the 70 leechers had 10 complete copies amongst them, there would be 30 seeders but 40 seeds.

Except, I don't know of any clients that report a partial seeder (or a collection of) as a seeder server-side. On the client side of things, sure, it even reports 100%, but to the other people in the swarm, they appear as people who simply have a part. It's why uTorrent has two columns "Availability" and "Seeds". You may be right, I may be wrong, but from my side of things this is what it seems to be, at the very least.

A idiot person think rest of all are an idiot and this is how an idiot person can be recognize.

No, an idiot is usually identified by the fact that even when insulting a person, they create enough loopholes that the insult misses its target. In the spirit of that notion, then, allow me to elaborate on the fact that Night0wl isn't an idiot. Just you, bijoy, and (recently) ScottK in this thread.

IdolEyes787
11-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Except, I don't know of any clients that report a partial seeder (or a collection of) as a seeder server-side. On the client side of things, sure, it even reports 100%, but to the other people in the swarm, they appear as people who simply have a part. It's why uTorrent has two columns "Availability" and "Seeds". You may be right, I may be wrong, but from my side of things this is what it seems to be, at the very least.

No, an idiot is usually identified by the fact that even when insulting a person, they create enough loopholes that the insult misses its target. In the spirit of that notion, then, allow me to elaborate on the fact that Night0wl isn't an idiot. Just you, bijoy, and (recently) ScottK in this thread.
Don't be upset at someone for simply recognizing the fact that you are an idiot . Rather be upset at God for having made you one in the first place.

As for the truly engrossing thread topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2oEmPP5dTM

With that hopefully settled can we all now get back to more important issues like what's the best encode of Inception?
Thirty replies and still no definitive answer.:cry:

Night0wl
11-28-2010, 11:03 PM

In Vuze the column I refer to is called availability (#Full copies being seen)

Quarterquack
11-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Don't be upset at someone for simply recognizing the fact that you are an idiot . Rather be upset at God for having made you one in the first place.

I'm sorry, your application towards club idiot was rejected based on grounds of movie knowledge. That'll teach you to help an idiot out in the future. :yes: