PDA

View Full Version : Obama steals Reagan's idea?

j2k4
11-27-2010, 01:38 AM
I always knew he was a huge fan, but I heard he re-proposed the Star Wars idea.

How about that?

MagicNakor
11-27-2010, 03:14 AM
The same idea re-proposed by Bush, Clinton and Bush Jr. with only noteworthy change being the cooperation with frenemy Russia. Does it still count as Star Wars if the target is not the Empire but instead the rebels?

:shuriken:

j2k4
11-27-2010, 03:59 PM
The same idea re-proposed by Bush, Clinton and Bush Jr. with only noteworthy change being the cooperation with frenemy Russia. Does it still count as Star Wars if the target is not the Empire but instead the rebels?

:shuriken:

These days I'm not sure.

Everything is different; I mean, he's the Messiah.

devilsadvocate
11-27-2010, 04:03 PM
You "heard" it? Must be true then.

If he has proposed something along the lines of the Regan era idea, it would immediately be proclaimed an unconstitutional liberal plot and be opposed by every republican in and out of office. Talk radio will be awash with outrage over this mad idea.

Of course technology has advanced somewhat over the decades. Any idea now might be more economically and technologically viable. The ends may be achieved by a completely different means.

j2k4
11-27-2010, 05:54 PM
You "heard" it? Must be true then.

If he has proposed something along the lines of the Regan era idea, it would immediately be proclaimed an unconstitutional liberal plot and be opposed by every republican in and out of office. Talk radio will be awash with outrage over this mad idea.

Of course technology has advanced somewhat over the decades. Any idea now might be more economically and technologically viable. The ends may be achieved by a completely different means.

In other words, if it's Obama's idea, it's the cat's ass.

Tell me:

Are you still an "Independent"?

devilsadvocate
11-28-2010, 03:35 AM
In other words, if it's Obama's idea, it's the cat's ass.

I don't know what the new proposal is, if there actually IS one, because I didn't "hear it" like you did, so I don't know if it's based on new viable technology or the same sharks with frikkin lazer beams on their heads.

I think the last time a president put forward a plan to turn sciencefiction into reality successfully as a goal was Kennedy and the men on the moon. It seemed sans the cold war we became incapable of doing things "because they are hard". Now, in this political climate, we are incapable because the other side always wants to make sure their counterparts fail.

clocker
11-28-2010, 03:15 PM
It seemed sans the cold war we became incapable of doing things "because they are hard". Now, in this political climate, we are incapable because the other side always wants to make sure their counterparts fail.
I think that we fail not because of "too hard" but rather, "too expensive".
NASA has been seriously underfunded for decades while forced to perform "missions" more for publicity than advancement of the art.

It pretty much says it all that over $3 billion was spent on advertising during the last election cycle and the Hubble telescope is being phased out by budgetary concerns.

Basically, America likes to talk about technological superiority but hates actually doing the work.

j2k4
11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
It seemed sans the cold war we became incapable of doing things "because they are hard". Now, in this political climate, we are incapable because the other side always wants to make sure their counterparts fail.
I think that we fail not because of "too hard" but rather, "too expensive".
NASA has been seriously underfunded for decades while forced to perform "missions" more for publicity than advancement of the art.

It pretty much says it all that over $3 billion was spent on advertising during the last election cycle and the Hubble telescope is being phased out by budgetary concerns.

Basically, America likes to talk about technological superiority but hates actually doing the work.

^ begs a question or more about campaign finance reform.

The pols (would-be and otherwise) don't want to have to worry about funding their (re-) elections.

If a candidate or incumbent is worried sick about that - well, then, I feel real good.

devilsadvocate
11-29-2010, 12:11 AM
The questions I've been begging are where did you "hear" President Obama re-proposed the Star Wars idea? Did actually re-propose it or is this another made up story? And if he actually did re-propose it, is it the same useless technology or is it a completely different method?

A link would be handy.

j2k4
11-29-2010, 03:27 AM
The questions I've been begging are where did you "hear" President Obama re-proposed the Star Wars idea? Did actually re-propose it or is this another made up story? And if he actually did re-propose it, is it the same useless technology or is it a completely different method?

A link would be handy.

You like links, don't you?

Nothing ever happens without a link.

Try this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112909735

Stinson
11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Other critics charged the system — with a price tag estimated at $4 billion — was too expensive, faced daunting technological challenges and was aimed against a threat that is still years away from materializing.

While the interceptor missiles did destroy their targets in some tests, others failed.

Yeah! This sounds exactly like something Bush would have pushed through anyway, just because it sounds frickin' awesome to have a mega cool anti missile system. I bet half of the American population would think the same *even knowing* it might not work properly. But, like so many things, this would simply have been ignored.

devilsadvocate
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
You like links, don't you?

Nothing ever happens without a link.
You have a proclivity for posting "facts" based on unreliable hearsay and chain E.mails, so when you say something is happening I am not inclined to take your word for it.
Try this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112909735

What has that got to do with Regan's idea? It's a year old story about President Obama scrapping President Bush's plan, utilizing existing proven technology and hardware and focusing the location against a different region and type of missile.

clocker
11-29-2010, 03:01 PM
What has that got to do with Regan's idea? It's a year old story about President Obama scrapping President Bush's plan, utilizing existing proven technology and hardware and focusing the location against a different region and type of missile.
Obviously, it has nothing to do with Star Wars but why pass up an opportunity to dis Obama?

j2k4
11-30-2010, 02:41 AM
You mean to say you don't trust me? :huh:

clocker
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
If recognizing consistency counts as "trust", then, yes.