PDA

View Full Version : Does Al Gore know about this?

12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.kpho.com/news/25969259/detail.html

"GENEVA -- Heavy snow and subzero temperatures swept across Europe, killing at least eight homeless people in Poland, closing major airports in Britain and Switzerland and causing hundreds of highway accidents.

Gatwick, London's second largest airport, and Geneva, a major hub for low-cost carrier Easyjet, were forced to shut down Wednesday as staff struggled to clear runways of snow. Edinburgh airport in Scotland, Leeds airport in northern England, and Chambery and Grenoble in southeastern France also were closed.

Eurocontrol, the central air control agency, reported severe flight delays in Brussels, Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, Prague and Paris Orly.

In Poland, police said eight men died Tuesday night after a bitter cold front roared in, with temperatures falling to around -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). Police spokesman Mariusz Sokolowski said the men, from different parts of the country, had been drinking. The eastern Polish city of Bialystok hit -26 Celsius (-15 Fahrenheit) on Tuesday night.

Winter weather caused some 2,000 accidents on German roads Tuesday, officials said.

In northern Austria, police said a 69-year-old retiree froze to death overnight when he slipped on a snow-covered bridge on his way home from a funeral and lost consciousness.

France's DGAC civil aviation authority asked airlines to cancel 25 percent of scheduled flights out of Charles de Gaulle airport and 10 percent of flights out of Orly airport in Paris on Thursday. The authority on Wednesday urged passengers flying out of the airports to check with their airlines.

Officials at Gatwick, south of London, said the airport would remain closed until early Thursday, stranding about 600 flights that were expected to leave Wednesday. Extra staff were working "around the clock" to clear the runways, and passengers were advised to check with their airline or Gatwick's website for updates.

Gatwick was under five to six inches of snow Wednesday morning and has seen continuous snowfall throughout the day, said spokeswoman Andrea Hopkins, adding that she was unable to provide a current estimate.

Geneva's airport will be closed until at least 6 p.m. (1700 GMT) Wednesday, a spokesman said. The city has seen 10 inches (25 centimeters) of fresh snow in the past 24 hours and many travelers unable to find a room spent the night in civil protection shelters.

Zurich, Switzerland's biggest airport, reported delays and cancelations on the day many VIPs, including former President Bill Clinton and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, were traveling to FIFA's headquarters to push their countries' bids to host the 2018 and 2022 football World Cups.

Airport spokeswoman Sonja Zoechling said the presence of so many private jets and charter planes in Zurich meant the airport had to turn down requests Wednesday for diverted landings.

Swiss weather agency Meteosuisse forecast more snow throughout the day as a low-pressure front centered over western Europe moves slowly eastward.

"We've got unusually cold air over large parts of the eastern Atlantic, and where that meets warm air coming for example from the Mediterranean you have a lot of snow," said meteorologist Heinz Maurer.

He predicted that snowfall would ease in central Europe by Thursday, but nights will remain extremely cold.

La Brevine, in northwestern Switzerland, recorded temperatures of -31 degrees Celsius (-24 Fahrenheit) overnight, Maurer said.

Even the undersea Channel Tunnel was hit with travel delays due to the snow. Six Eurostar trains to and from London were canceled and delays on other services were expected.

In Ireland, flights from Dublin airport were temporarily suspended early Wednesday while thick snow and ice was cleared from a main runway. With many schools closed and minor roads impassable due to snow, authorities urged drivers to stay home unless absolutely necessary. Grocery chain Tesco said the cold snap had seen a rise in sales of whiskey - often served warm in winter - and hot chocolate.

Nine regions in northwest and southeast France were put on a weather alert, warning of snow and ice until Thursday morning. SNCF, France's national railway, said traffic on the main southeast routes had been affected by heavy snow, but 80 percent of its high-speed trains were still running.

In Poland, police were carrying out patrols to find homeless people and get them into shelters. The bad weather was also blamed for a collision between a tram and a car that killed one person in Szczecin.

Further south, some 300 people were evacuated from their homes in the northern part of Montenegro because of heavy rains. Authorities in the town of Berane said dozens of homes and roads were flooded and more evacuations were likely.

Neighboring Albania declared a state of emergency due to widespread flooding in Shkodra district, 75 miles (120 kilometers) northwest of the capital, Tirana, along the Drini River delta.

Hydroelectric power generated from the river covers the bulk of Albania's energy needs. Prime Minister Sali Berisha says the flooding has resulted in an increase of energy output."

Take that Clocky and Lucifer!

clocker
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Sigh.

devilsadvocate
12-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Take what exactly?

clocker
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM
You know, a snowstorm proves that global warming isn't true.

Science is hard.
Too difficult for 9, apparently.

12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Earliest onset of winter in 31 years? Why is Al Gore nowhere to be found now? Why doesn't he go hold a global warming summit over there right now and see what they think of him now?

clocker
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Because he's not an idiot like you are.
It has yet to snow in Denver, which I guess proves that global warming is true here.

devilsadvocate
12-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I think it's possible you know less about climatology than you do political systems.

12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Because he's not an idiot like you are.
It has yet to snow in Denver, which I guess proves that global warming is true here.

I find that hard to believe. It has already snowed here in Eagar, and we're far south of you.

devilsadvocate
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I find that hard to believe. It has already snowed here in Eagar, and we're far south of you.

SO---

It snowed during the coldest time of the year in a place at 7000ft altitude that makes a winter living as a ski destination, and that proves climate change scientists are wrong?

12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
This has been an interesting and successful test.

In the summer, when ABC, CBS, or NBC news report on the hot weather, they just love to say how this is more evidence of Global Warming.

But if someone tries to do the opposite in the winter, that's not okay.

Your responses have been very interesting.

devilsadvocate
12-03-2010, 08:32 PM

In the summer, when ABC, CBS, or NBC news report on the hot weather, they just love to say how this is more evidence of Global Warming.

Your responses have been very interesting. I've tried my best, I've googled, I've yahoo'd and binged I've search a few climatology websites, the ones with actual climatologists, and nowhere have I found ABC, CBS, or NBC news claiming to be climatologists.

The fact that you are using news outlets and no doubt talk radio as a source of climate science information might explain why you seem to lack any grasp of what actual climatologists are saying about the effect of climate change, or even what the poorly used term "global warming" actually means.

12-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Your responses have been very interesting. I've tried my best, I've googled, I've yahoo'd and binged I've search a few climatology websites, the ones with actual climatologists, and nowhere have I found ABC, CBS, or NBC news claiming to be climatologists.

The fact that you are using news outlets and no doubt talk radio as a source of climate science information might explain why you seem to lack any grasp of what actual climatologists are saying about the effect of climate change, or even what the poorly used term "global warming" actually means.

But you have to admit that it is an interesting observation, right?

CBS, NBC, and ABC love to jump on the global warming bandwagon in the summer, but they are silent about it during a cold winter storm. Why do you think that is?

devilsadvocate
12-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Do you find "special mushrooms" growing in the cow crap out there, and if so have you been eating them?

MagicNakor
12-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Because "global warming" is an over-simplified misnomer and inane 24-hour repetition is the hallmark of American media. Be on guard during harvest time-- your spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, grapes and strawberries are lurking, waiting to KILL YOU.

Far to the north, the vast and snowy wasteland tundra of a mystical nation was blessed with the warmest and driest winter and warmest spring on record. Certain pockets had record-shattering highs and lows. Two million square kilometres (200 000 000 hectacres) of ice never returned.

:shuriken:

clocker
12-03-2010, 10:21 PM
CBS, NBC, and ABC love to jump on the global warming bandwagon in the summer, but they are silent about it during a cold winter storm. Why do you think that is?
I don't think "that is"...in fact, I believe you're just making this up and presenting it as "an observation".
Kind of like Fox makes shit up and sells it as "an alternative view".