PDA

View Full Version : Change tracker in a BitTorrent file

iUp
12-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm currently facing a little problem, hope you can help me :)

I downloaded a torrent on a private tracker, and I'd like to share it on another.
The problem is I don't have SSH access to my seedbox, so I cannot create a fresh new torrent from the files I've got.
Would it be possible to edit this torrent, change the tracker and upload it to the other tracker ?
I tested some online tools such as http://torrenteditor.com , seems to work but I'd like to be sure if possible :)

Thank you all !

Waddafocky
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Wait, so if you're not going to download the files to your box, why get them in the first place?

anon
12-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Would it be possible to edit this torrent, change the tracker and upload it to the other tracker ?

Yes. That will cause both .torrent files to have the same info_hash though, so you may cause other users problems (their clients will refuse to load the second one if they're already running the one you edited, and that uTorrent auto-loading issue that I don't know if it's solved).

pakito
12-15-2010, 01:22 PM
That seems complex..You dont need edit any torrent, really You can do this:
1)
Create the new torrent with a different piece size
Create a new .torrent file as you normally would, filling in the correct announce URL for the second tracker. The only difference is you will change the piece size from the default of "auto-detect" to whatever is the next-closest to, but different from, the existing torrent.
2)Run +1 utorrent instances (there is a tutorial at Fsf)

cinephilia
12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Yes. That will cause both .torrent files to have the same info_hash though, so you may cause other users problems (their clients will refuse to load the second one if they're already running the one you edited, and that uTorrent auto-loading issue that I don't know if it's solved).
both ? i think he was talking about a single torrent. if i'm not mistaken, he wants to stop a torrent downloaded from tracker A, change the tracker announce for tracker B and then, upload it to tracker B (same exact files and hash).

kukushka
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
if you're able to manually point in the client where your torrent contents should be located, it's better to change in torrenteditor the base directory name of the torrent to a smth similar, but yet different, and then just point your torrent client to a new location. this way you'll have a different hash and will be able to cross seed safely at the same time and will also keep other potential cross seeders in safety..

1)
Create the new torrent with a different piece size
Create a new .torrent file as you normally would, filling in the correct announce URL for the second tracker. The only difference is you will change the piece size from the default of "auto-detect" to whatever is the next-closest to, but different from, the existing torrent.
2)Run +1 utorrent instances (there is a tutorial at Fsf)
did he said that he can't create a new torrent? i guess he did. also i assume that there's a minimal chances that there's utorrent at his box and he can manage it to run the 2nd instance

anon
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
both ? i think he was talking about a single torrent. if i'm not mistaken, he wants to stop a torrent downloaded from tracker A, change the tracker announce for tracker B and then, upload it to tracker B (same exact files and hash).

From this part of his post, I got the idea he wants to seed both torrents at the same time:

I downloaded a torrent on a private tracker, and I'd like to share it on another.
The problem is I don't have SSH access to my seedbox, so I cannot create a fresh new torrent from the files I've got.

Maybe I'm wrong, of course. Let's wait for him to clarify.

1)Create the new torrent with a different piece size

I think that's not a possibility in this particular case...

Waddafocky
12-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I think nobody knows what the OP wanted.

1000possibleclaws
12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Can you download the data onto your home computer as well, upload the torrent from there, then delete it from your home client and download the torrent from the tracker onto your box. Since you already have the data on your box, it's a matter of pointing the download location to the appropriate folder. Then you have do all the seeding from your box.

cinephilia
12-16-2010, 12:31 AM
I think nobody knows what the OP wanted.
he simply wanted to know if he could download a torrent from tracker A on his seedbox and then, upload (not cross-seed, reseed etc) it on tracker B by just editing the tracker announce since he's not able to create a new torrent.