PDA

View Full Version : BT vs Usenet

megabyteme
12-17-2010, 01:27 AM
What are the current strength/weaknesses of each? If all BT got shut down tomorrow, would Usenet be able to replace it completely? Where would we go for community/drama? Are there sufficient "rare files" available? Which has better security? Do private communities mean anything anymore with all of the selling/trading/for profit trackers?

Where do you stand on these issues? Have you tried Usenet? Have you already (happily) jumped the BT ship?

anon
12-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Have you tried Usenet? Have you already (happily) jumped the BT ship?

Yep. I landed on the one-click hosters one. :happy:

I can't really comment on the rest, given I have very little Usenet experience, so consider this just another spam post by me. One thing is for sure, though - if you look at the BT section here, it's pretty hard to think of another filesharing medium that can match it on the drama regard. :P

mrnobody
12-17-2010, 01:33 AM
BT wins easily b/c of packs, community, pretime,...and the 4th thing that i can't remember atm.

pakito
12-17-2010, 02:42 AM
I found a New$ free server at China (Pekin Univeristy, I think so) some year ago and I tested it..Its a good invention, but i prefer utorrent low cost..

Funkin'
12-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Have you tried Usenet? Have you already (happily) jumped the BT ship?

Yep. I've been using newsgroups for quite sometime now(along with DDL), and yes I've pretty much left BT behind. For the most part I only use a couple music trackers anymore and that's about it. And even then, just like here, I rarely participate in the forums nowadays.

And for me, Usenet wouldn't be a complete replacement if BT shutdown. But the majority of it would be. And what wasn't replaced, I would get used to not having very quickly.

The so-called "communities"/drama/and annoying people? These were some of the reasons I decided to further myself from BT.

For your other questions I'm sure someone else(probably Cabalo or one of the other newsgroup users) will come by and give you answers so I won't bother with it.

Tokeman
12-17-2010, 03:47 AM
I used newsgroups for a while, and was quite satisfied with them. In terms of 0 day, yes, it could replace BT right now without any question. In terms of content (niche sites) no, it couldn't IMO, at least not right now. Maybe it would get better with time though, more requests, more unique uploads etc.
Biggest downer is its not free, but you are paying for the downspeeds you get from servers, instead of relying on peers to donate it to you (seeders) for free. And its not like its a fortune either, less then 10 bucks a month aint bad!

whatcdfan
12-17-2010, 04:21 AM
usenet definitely has more rare music then BT, i found some albums there which i cudent find on what & waffles

Cabalo
12-17-2010, 04:53 AM
After using usenet intermittently for the past 11 years and bittorrent since the suprnova days, here are my thoughts:

Comfort: Newsgroups win, without discussion. You add the .NZB (usenet "equivalent" to the .torrent file), files get downloaded, unrar'd, the ISO moved to the chosen destination on the HDD to the category you set, and then the RAR's are deleted (of course all this is customizable). You can shutdown the computer and go sleep. What you save on the power bill by not having the PC on 24/7 is almost enough to pay for a monthly subscription, I would dare say.

Speed: Newsgroups win. You always max out your connection speed, no matter the age of the file. Old torrents are usually extremely slow, as they are seeded by home connections.

Contents: You can't compare the usenet to a single tracker, but to the cloud. There's no clear winner, if you compare usenet to sites like TPB or demonoid for example. You can't compare it to any private tracker, as they all get squashed. I'll get to the "niche" trackers later.

Searching the contents: There are several automatic and manual indexers (FST is one of them). Also, there are several bt trackers. The difference is you would need quite a lot of memberships on sites to even close to what a NZB indexer can find. It's a clear win for Newsgroups too. Automated indexing sites like NZBIndex.nl or even Newsleecher's integrated SuperSearch blow away any competition. If you got used to the manual indexing, like you see on any tracker, then you'll find FST's NZB section very lookalike.

Cost-effectiveness: I have already mentioned that you don't have to keep your PC turned on 24/7 seeding 365 days per year. You can shut it down any time you want and still get the files when you wish without ratio worries.
Additionally, many people resort to seedboxes to keep their ratios up and build a "buffer". Once you start using newsgroups, and if you ever paid for a seedbox before, you will shake your head in disbelief when you think of the wasted money. The cost of a decent seedbox is enough to let you pay for newsgroups for one entire year. Add to this the power saving, the hassle saving, and do your math. So, saying bittorrent is free and usenet is not, is a false statement. Obviously, BT is populated with kids who live with their parents who cough up the cash for the bills, so they will always argue this point. :rolleyes:

Community: What is a community? FST surely is one, xtremesystems is another, etc. In the end of the day, if you are a guy with too much free time, you will see you won't have to participate in some communities you otherwise wouldn't bother to, unless you are expecting some kind of reconnaissance to get you invited to other places. This saves you a lot of time you can spend on other tasks, like banging your wife / girlfriend. Newsgroups is about getting your files and few technical related discussions. Bittorrent is about the drama. So, BT wins on entertainment value, to the day you get bored.

In my personal opinion, for a perfect downloading experience you would use usenet for nearly everything, a couple of niche trackers (BCG, what.cd and a few elearning sites) and places like warez-bb or even emule for very rare contents.

PS: Oh, did I say you don't have to deal with kids who masturbate each other because they "staff" at some site? And who behave like heroes because they can ban you and even tell their buttbuddies to ban you too? Expecting it makes any difference because all summed up you can get the same content at a dozen other places.

yevgeny
12-17-2010, 05:04 AM
I joined Astraweb a couple of months ago, speed on old (150-200 days) files is the main thing I like. You can use a vpn, proxy etc; and you cant be disabled for silly things such as being a member of FST. The indexers (layout and content) are one part of usenet that I think could be much better.

anon
12-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Stuff

Man, we need a Thanks button for this section. Very detailed and informative post. :)

Specially liked the postdata.

deadalive1
12-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Cabalo is pretty much on point with everything he posted. Usenet, by far, crushes BT. Hell, if you search around you can find out how to get Usenet axx for free with a little IPv6 tunneling and a free node, so the cost argument people always seem to bring up then becomes meaningless...

bijoy
12-17-2010, 05:50 AM
PS: Oh, did I say you don't have to deal with kids who masturbate each other because they "staff" at some site? And who behave like heroes because they can ban you and even tell their buttbuddies to ban you too? Expecting it makes any difference because all summed up you can get the same content at a dozen other places.

Nice point. But this problem was not even there in bittorrent say, 3-4 years ago, I want to say about the time like: in 2006-2007..

And as you said bt is no match for usenet, except for one thing, that people can get stuffs from bt free of cost where as I don't think they can get the same free of cost from usenet.
As I've a very little knowledge about usenet, pardon me if I do any mistake here, in this post.

anon
12-17-2010, 05:56 AM
And as you said bt is no match for usenet, except for one thing, that people can get stuffs from bt free of cost where as I don't think they can get the same free of cost from usenet.
As I've a very little knowledge about usenet, pardon me if I do any mistake here, in this post.

He addressed that point in the "cost-effectiveness" section. As deadalive1 also said, it's possible to get free Usenet access playing around with IPv6, and there are a few IPv4 free servers as well.

Cabalo
12-17-2010, 05:57 AM
You have at this very board very detailed tutorials how to download from newsgroups without a paid subscription.

Arrghh. Anon-sbi beat me again.

ca_aok
12-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Music trackers. Nuff said.

But yes, if you're just looking for 0-day stuff and want to skip a ton of drama and the hassle of a seedbox, Usenet would be a good choice.

Funkin'
12-17-2010, 06:50 AM
i found some albums there which i cudent find on what & waffles

Of course you did. On the flip side, I'm sure that has got to be some files on the W's that can't be found through other methods. But What & Waffles are definitely not the end-all music library that so many people make them out to be.

Xbox_360
12-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Yup if BT died today DDL or Usenet would have no problem replacing BT, people will always want to have free content so they will move where they can find it. DDL and Usenet are a lot better for the reasons Cabalo pointed out and may in fact be cheaper for some people that buy a seedbox. I have to buy a seedbox because my upload speed is just plain slow, I also live with many other people that use the internet or game online and I can't be using the internet 24/7 all the time.

CleverMan
12-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Never used usenet, but out of curiosity and since everyone praise it I wanna ask question: is it possible to find content there like provided on some trackers mentioned in this thread http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/426504-Trackers-that-produce-the-most-original-content (for instanse KG, cinematik, CG, sdbits, x264, pedro's, underground-gamer) - and I mean with similar quality too. I practically don't care about countless 0day trackers to which usenet seems to be compared here, but I really like those trackers :)

whatcdfan
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
On the flip side, I'm sure that has got to be some files on the W's that can't be found through other methods

man i am talking about very rare files indeed very hard to find by if those can be spoted at usenext i am sure everything else which is not so rare can also be

bijoy
12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
You have at this very board very detailed tutorials how to download from newsgroups without a paid subscription.

Well, I'll look at those. Have plans to move out of this present shitty bittorrent world.. Have 2 options now in fornt of me.
1. one click hosters &
2. usenet.

He seems to be online 24x7 :P

antrax34130
12-17-2010, 11:27 AM
pretimes are better on private trackers like scc. Newsgroups are for 0day stuff only, some virus and fake...

bijoy
12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
pretimes are better on private trackers like scc. Newsgroups are for 0day stuff only, some virus and fake...

really stupid points..
I don't need to say anything more.

Tokeman
12-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't konw that point #1 is that stupid. Sometimes it takes days for new stuff to show up on newsgroups, at least complete enough to download it all. It was another reason I went back to torrents exclusivly. A few hours is one thing, but days?

IdolEyes787
12-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't konw that point #1 is that stupid. Sometimes it takes days for new stuff to show up on newsgroups, at least complete enough to download it all. It was another reason I went back to torrents exclusivly. A few hours is one thing, but days?

Probably another stupid point but if you didn't know the precise second that something became "available" then would that really matter?
Especially since on newsgroups unlike bt you are not frequently ( passively or not) part of some competition as to how soon after a file is upped you can hop onto it to best "serve " your status.

Tokeman
12-17-2010, 03:14 PM
But since this is the golden age of information, we do know when something becomes available, even if all the BT sites just disapeared overnight.
As for serving my status, I don't get you. Unless your talking about just racers and uploaders. As an end user, I see no benefit to being on the torrent first vs 200th with ratio free sites...

IdolEyes787
12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
But since this is the golden age of information, we do know when something becomes available, even if all the BT sites just disapeared overnight.
As for serving my status, I don't get you. Unless your talking about just racers and uploaders. As an end user, I see no benefit to being on the torrent first vs 200th with ratio free sites...

I wasn't talk about you per se but referring to ratio building in general. As for knowing when something becomes available I think that legally vs bt-wise they are two completely different things so sites disappearing would more or less kill the availability that I was referring to .
More to the point , disregarding the fact that you (apparently) are getting things for free , don't you see that everything is subject to RL release dates and their associated marketing ploys and production delays which can and do frequently stretch into months so that ( apparently) worrying over a couple days of further waiting is at the very least a little silly?

I don't know maybe you are one of those people that line up two days before the box-office opens to get tickets for Star Wars but at least in that case there was a story to tell.:unsure:
Here isn't it just another example (sorry) of a generation born to (over) privilege once again demonstrating it's lack of another virtue?
Not just grateful to have it but got to have it NOW!!!!

Btw this isn't a personal attack against you ,rather it's another pointless rant against a far too increasingly prevalent attitude.

cinephilia
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
that idoleyes dude needs a lesson.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I'll be happy if this post just doesn't get deleted like most of my other recent ones.

Maybe I should stick to "bump" and not offer an honest opinion or attempt to funny or friendly or anything.

A
12-17-2010, 04:05 PM
More to the point , disregarding the fact that you (apparently) are getting things for free , don't you see that everything is subject to RL release dates and their associated marketing ploys and production delays which can and do frequently stretch into months so that ( apparently) worrying over a couple days of further waiting is at the very least a little silly?
I am pretty sure that wasn't what he was referring to.He was more likely talking about the delay in files being shared in usenet even after the same file has been shared in private trackers days before.Why wait for something when the same stuff is available for free and has already been shared elsewhere?

@CleverMan

But yes, if you're just looking for 0-day stuff and want to skip a ton of drama and the hassle of a seedbox, Usenet would be a good choice.
^^

You won't find those rips available from x264 and SDBits, nor will you find the vast collection of movies that CG and KG has, nor will you find the rips available from Pedros or Exigo.You will find some stuff shared in these trackers in usenet, but by comparison, it is very low.What you will find thou, is a comprehensive archive of scene releases (Movies,TV,Music,Games,Apps etc), which you can download with maximum speed, no matter how old it is.At least, that has been my experience when I tried Astraweb for 1 month.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I am pretty sure that wasn't what he was referring to.He was more likely talking about the delay in files being shared in usenet even after the same file has been shared in private trackers days before.Why wait for something when the same stuff is available for free and has already been shared elsewhere?

I'm sorry that my language skills aren't better because obviously I'm not making myself clear. Anyway whatever ,that's my last word on the subject.

Tokeman
12-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I think you were clear, kind of. I think you ment, if torrent sites were no longer, then I would only have the street date to compare to...
I guess I was not clear either in my post. The availability date I was speaking of was not street date or time on torrent sites, it was the time that the scene released it to their ftp (what pre times are based off of). Even if torrent sites went away, this time would still be availble through many sites and IRC if i'm not mistaken, giving you a time frame to go off of when its available on p2p or usenet or wherever comparitivly.

anon
12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
if those can be spoted at usenext

Usenet is the "network", Usenext is a crappy news provider which I've heard even logged the IPs of downloaders and handed them to the authorities in the past. Don't confuse them.

A
12-17-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm sorry that my language skills aren't better because obviously I'm not making myself clear. Anyway whatever ,that's my last word on the subject.
Your implication that since we all are getting stuff for free, it is kinda lame for complaining that you aren't getting files fast enough, would have been understandable if files were also shared in other sites around the same time.When something is obviously better than other, its only natural that people prefer the better.

whatcdfan
12-17-2010, 05:00 PM
if those can be spoted at usenext

Usenet is the "network", Usenext is a crappy news provider which I've heard even logged the IPs of downloaders and handed them to the authorities in the past. Don't confuse them.

that was a mistake i meant to say "usenet"
you are right man, we are not discussing softwares we are discussing file sharing protocols instead

CleverMan
12-17-2010, 05:24 PM
AbyBeats thanks for answer :)

IdolEyes787
12-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Your implication that since we all are getting stuff for free, it is kinda lame for complaining that you aren't getting files fast enough, would have been understandable if files were also shared in other sites around the same time.When something is obviously better than other, its only natural that people prefer the better.

Like I said missing my point.
Merry Christmas anyway heathen.

Cabalo
12-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, I'll look at those. Have plans to move out of this present shitty bittorrent world.. Have 2 options now in fornt of me.
1. one click hosters &
2. usenet.

He seems to be online 24x7 :P

Use both simultaneously. Just pop jDownloader on your PC and let him do the work.
For newsgroups, check the tutorials by rdtphd (http://filesharingtalk.com/members/211644-rdtphd).

KFlint
12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Only thing I'm finding difficult to replace is the content on bitme or other e-learning sites. Not nearly as much content on usenet.

Otherwise usenet is filling 95% of what I'm looking for I'd say.

1. one click hosters &

What is a good site to start with one-click hosters? Never looked at that.

A
12-17-2010, 06:04 PM

Oh boy, so little to understand from so little words being written, but even then, something is lost in the translation from words to words.

But you see, I (and almost everyone) am grateful for all the file sharers around the planet, irrespective of speed, pre-times, and quality.Its the spirit that counts, ain't it? Hows that for virtue :shifty:

Happy Christmas to you as well :happy:

anon
12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
What is a good site to start with one-click hosters? Never looked at that.

Site as in link forum or preferred hoster? Anyway, I'll mention my picks for both. You probably already know the best DDL forum around is Warez-BB, it's just huge, gigantic, massive. As for hosters, I like Hotfile and Fileserve, because I have Premium accounts on both, and their speeds are good for free users as well (so are Megaupload's).

KFlint
12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Thx, I was talking about forums. I heard of warez-bb but never looked at it. Will do.

edit : the site is so slow right now, my god...!

Monaco
12-17-2010, 07:37 PM
What are the current strength/weaknesses of each?
In general, usenet has better retention. Sure, HDBits and some other places offer very old files, but on the average, torrents die a lot faster.
Torrents have a wider selection of content, especially if you're into niche stuff. However, if you scan headers of more rare groups, you could probably find some real gems, although I'd bet they don't overlap directly with say the FLAC offerings of What or Pedro's.

If all BT got shut down tomorrow, would Usenet be able to replace it completely?
Some people will point to the content difference now, but this overlooks that this gap would be filled by migrating BT users to some extent. Usenet would become even more comprehensive if BT did not exist.

Where would we go for community/drama?
Pornhub

Are there sufficient "rare files" available?
Almost. As I said, I don't think they overlap, but you can find rare files on both.

Which has better security?
Usenet. I don't care how invites are handed out or fake logins. I'm still showing my IP address to other random people on the internet.

Do private communities mean anything anymore with all of the selling/trading/for profit trackers?
Not as much. The experienced traders/sellers can and are in everywhere, often never detected. But I don't think the bad eggs ruin the whole community.

Where do you stand on these issues?
I fluctuate. I browse both. Anything older than a day or two and I'll usually be searching for the nzb.

Have you tried Usenet?
I've subscribed for years.

Have you already (happily) jumped the BT ship?
Not completely. But I've never found a bt site that felt right, at least not since I was totally new and just stuck with my first.

anon
12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
edit : the site is so slow right now, my god...!

One of the disadvantages of having so many users. Once you make an account, enable LiteSurf in your options - that will remove avatars and signatures so that pages load faster.

megabyteme
12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for that thorough answer, Monaco. Your answers mirror much of what I feel or expect regarding the situation. My long-time mental model of filesharing has been of a library. I am beginning to wond4r if that model is not better suited to usenet- not BT.

I truly enjoy what BT could have been. Sadly, it has been swamped out by corruptions (selling, for-profit trackers, childish games). Perhaps, like in the real world, libraries should be silent place and not "communities".

I'm still working on this, but have grown disappointed at the (near) collapse of something I enjoy.

Quarterquack
12-17-2010, 07:56 PM

It's okay. I got it. :console:

If for anything, it wasn't your language, it's probably the fact that people aren't accustomed to standing back and reviewing their stance on matters.

Although, you did miss out on one of Tokeman's finer points, which was the fact that he didn't need to rely on trackers to supply him the news because the news is freely available elsewhere, from friends who download from newsgroups, to sites dedicated to announcing pres or rapidshare uploads, etc.

pakito
12-28-2010, 05:22 AM
News is less used that DD or BT..I dont think you can find a amazing thematic group dedicated to upload dvds with spanish audio (for instance)... Is not it :P?

stoi
12-28-2010, 05:33 AM
alt.binaries.dvd.spanish
alt.binaries.movies.spanish

there you go :)

pakito
12-28-2010, 06:09 AM
alt.binaries.dvd.spanish
alt.binaries.movies.spanish

there you go :)

alt.binaries.movies.spanish is not a dvd thematic group..I guess it is only avi/mpg
alt.binaries.dvd.spanish is an amazing active group, really??

I was not searching the info (thanks, anyway), I dont think alt.binaries.dvd.spanish group equals ALL spanish-latin trackers.

does Usenet has the same content as demonoid ?

usenet or bt

usenet FTW , you dont have to seed anything

Demonoid either lol

whatcdfan
12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
demonoid is slow ..

speed matters ..isnt it ?

especially when you are in a hurry :)

Demonoid solely does not represent BT, it has more to offer

And if you are solely talking about speeds, SCC has the ability to max out most of the connections
I have seen seedboxes going up to 100mbits, that is a lot of speed

taniquetil
12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
With Usenet, you can also make do with much slower internet connections. For example, a basic 10up/1down plan is plenty for Usenet (that's what I use right now), but that 1mb is probably not fast enough for most private torrent sites (of course, there are exceptions like BTN and Torrentday).

So yeah, Usenet costs $10 a month for subscription (astraweb unlimited plan here), but I think it would be reasonable to assume that the vast majority of people on Torrent trackers have upgraded their internet for the sole purpose of having faster seed speeds (of course, seedboxes cost even more)

That being said, there are some boutique torrent sites that have access to a lot of material that isn't on Usenet, such as what, waffles, and various eBook trackers. And I guess without preview screens Bittorrent (and Direct Download)'s access to porn is probably a lot more user-friendly.

I think Usenet's a little daunting because there are a few weaknesses:
It's more of a hassle than just utorrent -> download torrent
Search definitely isn't as user-friendly as it is on good torrent sites, public or private
Indexing sites are not as good as private, 0-day sites like Torrentday or BTN. Especially not for older material (like Walker, Texas Ranger, which isn't on Usenet)

stoi
12-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I cant speak spanish so i dont really give a fuck tbh.

alt.binaries.movies.spanish is not a dvd thematic group..I guess it is only avi/mpg
alt.binaries.dvd.spanish is an amazing active group, really??

I was not searching the info (thanks, anyway), I dont think alt.binaries.dvd.spanish group equals ALL spanish-latin trackers.

cap87
01-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Going to ask in here since most people posting in this thread use both bittorrent and usenet and might had the same questions in the past:

I just started testing usenet (since a few hours back) with ipv6 tunneling and sabnzbd. Tested it and the speeds seem great for a free service. However i still don't get how to search for content. From what i've understood there are various indexers (much like warez-bb for ddl) and i've already signed up in newzbin but i guess i have to pay to have access to more features and i didn't exactly understood how the categories (usenet raw, usenet condensed etc) worked or their purpose.

So my questions:
- How can i search for content on usenet? I've visited the newsgroups section and it seems like i can even do it on irc, don't know how though.
- What advantages do i have if i sign up for a paid provider besides speed, connections, ect? And what are the best providers? (no biased opinions please)
- I've also read about newsleecher... is it better than the client i'm using now? And can i use it with this free setup?

I could have googled it and asked around, but the amount information is just too overwhelming and there are too many different opinions. Maybe those who started in bittorrent can make it more clear.

Cabalo
01-01-2011, 04:24 PM
1. To look for content on the usenet you have 2 ways: sites like FST that manually index releases, pm me for more info, or automatic indexing sites, which are pretty much the google of the newsgroups. NzbIndex.nl and binsearch.info are the two top contenders.
2. Paid providers offer you exactly maximum speed on every file, no matter how old it is, and longer retentions. (Most are ranging from 700 to 1000 days, which is HUGE). It's very hard to chose which one is the "best", as many smaller companies are resellers from major ones, and so forth. Really, give it a go on our promotions. I might have something interesting for you.
3. I use sabnzbd because I like controlling everything from my browser. Newsleecher is the best software client around, while Sab is browser based, which I prefer, and doesn't lack any option. If you are using Chrome, try the extension sabconnect++. It will allow you to add files to the queue on a single click from most sites.

Monaco
01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Just to add a quick point about grabbing nzbs on irc. There are several channels whose communities post content, including #alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 @ efnet and a.b.teevee, a.b.dvdr and .dvds all on efnet I believe. You can search for and download the .nzbs through various irc commands. They offer points for filling requests so you can also place requests.

Definitely try a paid provider for 1 month at least. It's worth the "risk" of the minimal monthly fee and with a little effort finding your way to the nzbs, you'll probably end up a convert.

mysoogals
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
new uploads are always released via newsgroups, from here we go into irc and from IRC we go into bittorrent from bittorrent we go into file hosting companies

been using grabid for streaming for some time , been using bittorrent for streaming since forever, been using ed2k streaming since forever its all true even edonkey links can be streamed .

newsgroups are part of email system so they can't possibly ban it since every windows server has a built in nntp server

the only down side of newsgroups is cost vs bt which is free and has more people active

Solitude
01-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Talking about HD video, Usenet should be my best option, right?

PerMaFrOsT
01-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Well, as a heavy user of BluRay niche i prefer BT Nework by far over Usenet.

PreTimes -> Both are fast
Dowload Speed -> BT 30-40MB/s | Usenet 10-13MB/s (NewsDemon)
RAR/UNRAR -> BT Folders | Usenet You have to unrar all the files and could need to repair some of them (CRC Errors)
Cost -> BT Free | Usenet 10$/Monthly

Anyway my situation is a bit strange because i manage all my downloads with a gbit dedicated server and then i spread it over my house/friends network. I also try to seed well all my downloads and if i can i upload some EUR releases. So for me isnīt difficult to have a good RATIO.

worldpease
01-10-2011, 02:50 AM
You can shutdown the computer and go sleep. What you save on the power bill by not having the PC on 24/7 is almost enough to pay for a monthly subscription, I would dare say.

What do you mean by this? I'd really like to know;
how will the files download if I turn off my PC?

excellent analysis btw, I am about to start trying Usenet and posted about it in the Newsgroup section, and 'anon-sbi' pointed me to your post in relation to a question I had about advantages Usenet has over BT.

anon
01-10-2011, 02:53 AM

I think it's a reference to Usenet's speed and lack of uploading. You get the files blazing fast, and since you don't have to seed them afterwards, you can just shut your PC down if you have nothing else to do.

Rilly
01-10-2011, 03:54 AM

RAR/UNRAR -> BT Folders | Usenet You have to unrar all the files and could need to repair some of them (CRC Errors)

Many clients do that automatically for you (I use newsleecher, it repairs and unrar's them right after finishing downloading).
The one thing I hate about usenet (though I prefer it and I am an avid usenet user).. is there is lots of wasted downloading.. unless a torrent site that has staff to remove crap like some homemade DVD that has 22 episodes shrunk down to one DVD... you get CAMs converted to DVD9s and things like that. If you are searching using a standard indexing like binsearch.info, you don't know what is actually good to download or not - unless you stick to scene releases only. Using an indexing site though at least you will get comments from other users advising if its worth to download or not.

worldpease
01-10-2011, 06:51 AM

I think it's a reference to Usenet's speed and lack of uploading. You get the files blazing fast, and since you don't have to seed them afterwards, you can just shut your PC down if you have nothing else to do.
Uh! now that I read it again,
I kinda' sounded stupid with that question, lol.

BoNeHead
01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Dont use anything else except BT

anon
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Dont use anything else except BT

Thanks for the post, really constructive and relevant to the discussion. You know what? I think I'll go back to torrents just because you don't use anything except them. That must mean they're awesome, dude.

PerMaFrOsT
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Many clients do that automatically for you (I use newsleecher, it repairs and unrar's them right after finishing downloading).
The one thing I hate about usenet (though I prefer it and I am an avid usenet user).. is there is lots of wasted downloading.. unless a torrent site that has staff to remove crap like some homemade DVD that has 22 episodes shrunk down to one DVD... you get CAMs converted to DVD9s and things like that. If you are searching using a standard indexing like binsearch.info, you don't know what is actually good to download or not - unless you stick to scene releases only. Using an indexing site though at least you will get comments from other users advising if its worth to download or not.
Unrar 2-8GB Files is a very light operation but when we are talking about 400≈ files and BluRays with a weight around 35-45GB... also you have to add the common CRC problems (itīs easy to fix them with p.par2 files, but the clock is counting and you spend time :lol:)

private trackers rocks for get blurays fast :yup:

XDA
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I started out using Usenet but been using both for yrs Usenet and BT both have their pros and cons.

Funkin'
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
:)

Everyone has their own preference. I would much rather use Usenet to grab HD files instead of keeping these large files on my internal drive for who knows how long taking up space just to seed with my slow connection. For me it's better to download them at full speed, spend the few measly minutes to extract them, then move them to my external and forget about it.

SniperXX
01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I use a combination of trackers and usenet. A few times a file has popped up on usenet before its on one of my trackers so then I upload it to the tracker. Some files I've had better luck with trackers and some on usenet.

It's all down to personal preference I'd say.

bijoy
01-11-2011, 07:49 PM
after my changeover my first post in this thread..

BT: in 70% cases its like kids playground.
Usenet: no kids business. Its like a place with a poster at every entrance: "Kids are not allowed here".:naughty:
:P

I guess I hurt the feelings of some people. :01:

lightshow
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I mainly use UseNet and there are only a few things I still get from the torrent/tracker world

1) Niche sites to let me browse through their collections to see what other things I may like that I haven't considered (ie Anime trackers)
2) Trustworthy comments on torrents from private trackers (ie. BestAppEver-RoXxX -> comments let me know RoXxX is a bogus group and it's just packaged spyware with the app. In usenet I just see BestAppEver-RoXxX and I have to make the decision myself to know if its malware, etc.)

As for everything else, FST's nzb section lets me see what's out everyday and the design and usefulness is amazing. Oh, and SSL is priceless, I make fun of all the torrent runners who still get letter's from their ISP about that horrible looking cam they downloaded...

anon
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh, and SSL is priceless, I make fun of all the torrent runners who still get letter's from their ISP about that horrible looking cam they downloaded...

SSL is nice, but you're already not going to get those dreaded letters without it, since you're downloading from a single server and not uploading anything.

Rart
01-12-2011, 04:59 AM
Cabalo pretty much nailed it as to what newsgroups offer and the benefits. But although I realize that large portion of the people here (including me) have been very vocal about how great newgroups are, there is one simple thing they lack: community. Not community as in "hey lets post random bullshit in rate that ass and pretend to care about this forum" but community as in a community driven to share and archive a lot of content for a certain niche, as cliched as that may sound. While our newgroups section's (actual discussion, not index) activity pales in comparison to our BT section, when I was a Newsgroups newbie hunting for information I was surprised to find that our Newsgroups section was multiple orders of magnitudes above any other forum I could find in terms of activity. Newsgroups just feels so lifeless: it's just mindlessly upload everything from the scene, along with some uploads from usenet groups, then have user indexed sites just mindlessly post everything they find from automatic indexers or headers with no real thought involved.

Probably the most obvious example of how BT can excel where Newsgroups can't is in What.CD: While I'm not an audiophile and am plenty satisfied with Demonoid, you simply can't find that level of content and organization anywhere in Newgroups. Another site that has been invaluable to me is BCG: The amount of content dedicated to Wii (and I'm sure every other console) hacking and homebrew is simply unrivaled in the Newgroup landscape. And when even a tiny corruption in a WAD install can permanently brick my Wii, I'd rather be able to read through some comments on the file from BCG enthusiasts rather than get it from random guy x who decided to put it up on usenet. While newgroups is certainly my one stop shop for general content, I don't think it will ever come close to replicating the experience BT users have on some of the better niche sites.

Another, while probably rather obvious, but in my mind understated on this forum, point is that BT can be a GREAT alternative if used right. To defend newgroups and the cost associated with it, people claim that since [generic FST member] is already spending so much on a seedbox, donating to random sites to gain favor/whore invites to trade, why not switch to newgroups and actually save money? Another popular argument is people already spend so much time managing ratios, whoring favor from forums to "move up the ladder", trading invites, etc. that you could yourself a lot of time and headaches by simply switching over to Newgroups.

But hey, maybe you don't want to spend the money, or don't want to hand over your credit card to companies you've never heard of (and lets be honest, free Newsgroups access sucks). Great, BT is a great alternative that is truly free, if used right. This probably doesn't categorize the large majority of FST users, but if you don't ratio whore with seedboxes, don't constantly "kiss ass" and "participate" on various forums to gain favour/hunt for rare invites, don't trade invites, and only join lower stress, less "leet" trackers like TL and TVT that are just as capable quality wise but far less stressful in maintaining a ratio, Bit torrent can be a great, free means of filesharing that's far less of a time sink than it's made out to be. But that comes with a big if.

What kind of files are you talking about/where are you looking? I have never experienced wait times over a matter of minutes compared to torrent sites, let alone days. Supersearch should be even faster, although I personally haven't used it very often.

Unrar 2-8GB Files is a very light operation but when we are talking about 400≈ files and BluRays with a weight around 35-45GB... also you have to add the common CRC problems (itīs easy to fix them with p.par2 files, but the clock is counting and you spend time :lol:)

Given that you're downloading a 35-45GB file that most likely won't have a large number of seeders due to the limited interest in downloading and sustaining such a large file, you're much more likely to get consistent, faster speeds on a news server that can easily max any connection. In addition to that, you're stuck with seeding a whopping 40 gigabyte file for weeks to even have a chance of keeping your ratio (unless you're using a seedbox, which judging by your signature you are, but at that point you're already wasting far more time managing your seedbox and downloading files off the FTP, not to mention seedboxes are far more expensive than newsgroups will ever be). And with ever advancing technology, especially the recent release of Sandy Bridge, extraction times are becoming less and less noticeable every day, not to mention it's being handled in the background by a program without any effort on your part.

(And frost, in your previous post, you use cost as justification for how BT is better than usenet, but you admit to using a dedicated gigabit server? There has to be some irony in that).

Also, if any one had the endurance to read through this entire post from a batshit crazy guy like myself, you deserve a fucking prize.

OlegL
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Rart, I totally agree with you. Usenet lacks community, so bittorent trackers > usenet for me.

Cabalo
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Oddly, that same community you talk about, is the same that draws many people away from torrenting.

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Rart, I totally agree with you. Usenet lacks community, so bittorent trackers > usenet for me.

Oddly, that same community you talk about, is the same that draws many people away from torrenting.

I hear that everyone is nice at HDbits.

Cabalo
01-14-2011, 04:29 PM

I hear that everyone is nice at HDbits.

Everyone but me, then.

Green Goblin
01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
In australia usenet is offered for free as part of the service from some of the bigger ISPS, now 95% of everything comes from usenet for me, i don't miss the BT drama and the so called community, if BT rolled over tomorrow i wouldn't miss it.

anon
01-14-2011, 11:07 PM

So true. I think the guys requesting FTN would beg to differ, however...

Rart
01-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Well as I mentioned, community in a different sense. Certainly not "community" in the conventional sense that has turned so many away from BT first place.

Unless of course, you guys are purely responding to OlegL, who seems to have missed a major point of my post.

I also want to reiterate that while I certainly now use newgroups more often than Bittorrent, the fact that Cabalo has already comprehensively mentioned all the benefits of usenet and that these threads seem to skew heavily towards the newsgroup fans on these forums, I thought it'd be nice to provide a little perspective on what ways BT is still superior to newgroups and how it can still be a very viable option, despite its many shortcomings.

OlegL
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Well as I mentioned, community in a different sense. Certainly not "community" in the conventional sense that has turned so many away from BT first place.

I guess you meant a community in the sense that they care about the content they provide.

IdolEyes787
01-15-2011, 01:16 PM
I think you need to look up the definition of community in a dictionary.
Anyway without having been part of every tracker in existence , I honestly don't believe such an animal exists .

OlegL
01-15-2011, 02:33 PM

It's interesting that those HDB people who I thought of as mean in the past, seem so nice now. That's my perception of things now...
Bittorrent > usenet because there are many files that appear on a tracker first and then on usenet. And, as I said before, BT simply makes things more interesting for you.

bijoy
01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I guess you meant a community in the sense that they care about the content they provide.

in bt community = some people gathered in one place to collect same type of content (in a tracker)... To be honest, it is nothing more than that.. (if you call ass licking in irc as a good sign of community, then I don't have anything to say).. :frusty:

rhemux
01-16-2011, 01:00 AM
I must say that i find usenet quite impressive:
there's a large number of Eureka movies , framestor as well and many other from well known teams,
there's flac albums ,
and with just4today i find myself downloading recent movies (1080p) from usenet and seeding them on my HD trackerīs accounts, unfortunable i cant find on usenet some precious stuff such as Framestor Battlestar Galactica release, but i think its just a matter of time until someone dump it on usenet.

Thank God the Anti-Piracy associations put bitorrent trackers as their primary target.

iniquity1978
01-17-2011, 02:37 AM
When I started getting content online oh about 21 years ago (yeah im that old), the news groups was the only way to get anything. I really liked it and still use it today. Yes it's not as fast a some of the private trackers on release time but there is no ratio and I'm not in a huge hurry for any files in particular.

Just my two cents.

Detale
01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
There is a relevant thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/429589-Where-Has-This-Been-My-Whole-Life?p=3550216#post3550216) in the Newsgroups section here so I'll just copy and past my response from there

The way I look at it is that BT is what you do until you go Usenet. BT is kind of like pirate adolescence. We all grow up sometime.

What I am reading here about one being faster doesn't affect me though. I max out my DL speed using either so to me there's no difference there. Sure you pay a few bucks a month for it, but it's still cheaper than renting a seedbox. I have really minimal crc errors and if you just read the comments on an NZB you should be fine.

iLOVENZB
01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Your only going to get biased answers by posting it here. There are a few members like Cabolo, Detale and anon that actually have an open mind about this topic.

slocker
01-26-2011, 08:04 AM
comparing pay2leech to bt is pointless.Not to contribute to this obvious flame-bait.

bijoy
01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
The way I look at it is that BT is what you do until you go Usenet. BT is kind of like pirate adolescence. We all grow up sometime.

++ And also Usenet is here may be from 1995 (if I raed the history correctly) and compare to that lifespan, bt is really like a kid..

Disme
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Both BT and Usenet are free (for me that is) so a combo of both is ideal.

I use BT for the things I can't find on Usenet, get all the rest from the Usenet.
No hassle, I put up my RSS-filters in SABNZBD and I'm all set.

iLOVENZB
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't think anyone really knows when it went mainstream but a Duke University student established it in 1980 after he conceived the concept a year prior.

Have a read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#History

Disme
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
FYI: There are Usenet Communities out there, lot's of them. Forums/boards filled with posters and spotters and just like in BT there's e-drama all the time.

Mostly about 'stealing' each others releases, posters/spotters etc ...

Solitude
01-26-2011, 07:44 PM
FYI: There are Usenet Communities out there, lot's of them.

Would you suggest some good ones? Namely those that upload stuff rather than aggregate.
Thanks in advance.

iLOVENZB
01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
FYI: There are Usenet Communities out there, lot's of them.

Would you suggest some good ones? Namely those that upload stuff rather than aggregate.
Thanks in advance.

Check your PM's ;).

karachidude
01-27-2011, 12:03 AM
when i have less free time i wll also prolly download through usenet,hassle free

bijoy
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
you cannot live like this hassle free .. forever ..

changing nick like you everyday might just help anyone ;)