PDA

View Full Version : Bittorent Question

Capitao70s
11-07-2003, 05:49 PM
What's the best Bittorrent version to download?
Once I close bittorrent or turn the computer off do the downloads resume from where they were or will they start from zero?

Looked for those questions in this forum and didn't find them!!

ultimatejester
11-07-2003, 06:06 PM
The best version out there is the Shad0ws Version (http://bt.degreez.net/) and yes you can resume the downloads. Here the Faq (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html)

TheChief
11-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Just wondering. What makes that version the best in your opinion? I have another version that I have been thinking is kind of sketchy. For some reason I seem to have a lot more Spyware ever since I downloaded it. I think I might try this version that you have recommended.

ultimatejester
11-07-2003, 06:20 PM
The download status lights is my favourite feature and shad0ws client inculdes all the enhancements from the latest offical client). It also has other features like super seeding(The only people who should be using super-seed are those doing initial seeding or re-seeding), seeding.

muchspl2
11-07-2003, 10:02 PM
it also cuts off people that use bad clients like bt ++, they send out bad data in the swarm, I don't have to worry about them with shadow's client

Capitao70s
11-08-2003, 08:18 AM
O.k i downloaded this version, but my status light is always yellow because of my firewall, how do i solve this problem?

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Capitao70s@8 November 2003 - 09:18
O.k i downloaded this version, but my status light is always yellow because of my firewall, how do i solve this problem?
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html

Rocktron
11-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Capitao70s@8 November 2003 - 09:18
How about "Turning it off" ? :D

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron@8 November 2003 - 09:48
How about "Turning it off" ? :D
thats like turning off your AV, bad advice if you ask me, just configer it correctly

Rocktron
11-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@8 November 2003 - 09:49
thats like turning off your AV, bad advice if you ask me, just configer it correctly
lol

I have none of both.. No Firewall no AV. Never used them. Just a online virus checker.
Works for me.

Capitao70s
11-08-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm NOT turning it off!!! I have no idea what firewall i have since it was installed at the computer store, how do i open it to bitorrent?

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron@8 November 2003 - 09:51
I have none of both.. No Firewall no AV. Never used them. Just a online virus checker.
Works for me.
http://members.cox.net/dodger1954/pics/nono.gif just a matter of time before you got fucked with no vaseline

alpha
11-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2+8 November 2003 - 09:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 8 November 2003 - 09:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Capitao70s@8 November 2003 - 09:18
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html [/b][/quote]
very general link. I cant figure out how to config my firewall from that.

Capitao70s
11-08-2003, 09:08 AM
O.K.... from what i get i just need to know the bittorrent Port then I add it to the firewall entries. how do i check the bittorrent PORT number?

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 09:16 AM
@alpha
what kind of firewall do you have

@Capitao70s
ports are 6881-6889 for ittorrent

Capitao70s
11-08-2003, 09:23 AM
In the client window when i click on "Prefs" it says that the port range is 6881 to 6999 (not 6889). is that wrong? I didn&#39;t chage anything. So does it means that i can just add any Port number between these numbers and it&#39;s gone work fine? or do i need a specific number?

RealitY
11-08-2003, 09:40 AM
I&#39;ve come to relize that those behind routers may be better of using Shareaza BT client, it clearly seems to have less issues and IS faster since it dosen&#39;t, though I&#39;m still not sure why...

alpha
11-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Capitao70s@8 November 2003 - 09:55
I have no idea what firewall i have since it was installed at the computer store, how do i open it to bitorrent?
same problem here, i dont know firewall i have either. but since i get the yellow light and not so good speeds i guess i must have some sort of firewall.
any ideas on how to figure out ones firewalls?

RealitY
11-08-2003, 10:55 AM
I tweaked away and have yet to get that yllow light to fk off, thats why I use Shareaza now...

junkyardking
11-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@8 November 2003 - 10:55
I tweaked away and have yet to get that yllow light to fk off, thats why I use Shareaza now...
Put your router in half bridge mode (bypass the router) and use a software firewall that what i did and now get the green light.

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 11:54 AM
if you got xp, you might have the ICF on, to disable start ->run ->services.msc -> enter then find and disable the Internet connection firewall

get a software firewall like zonealarm then if you put it on medium and allow bittorrent access to the Internet, you will be good

as far as ports, you only need to open as many ports as you expect to have torrents open, so when people say use 6881 to 6889 that could be 9 different torrents open, now you could open 6881 to 6999 but thats just not necessary

RealitY
11-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by junkyardking+8 November 2003 - 03:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (junkyardking @ 8 November 2003 - 03:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-REALITY@8 November 2003 - 10:55
Put your router in half bridge mode (bypass the router) and use a software firewall that what i did and now get the green light. [/b][/quote]
I guess that would work, though on SZ I have no probs, besides I don&#39;t want to pass the router, dont it leave u a little more open...

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 12:11 PM
if hes talking about dmz&#39;ing then yes wide open ESP with no software firewall, but if he just open the correct ports(6881 to 6889 as stated) he will still have the hardware firewall (router) and I recommend a good software firewall (configured correctly also)

RealitY
11-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I have both, though even with ports open, no GREEN fkin light...

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 12:54 PM
got to remember the light is not absolute or by any means a ALWAYS correct, but if you do open the ports and do configure firewalls you will notice speeds at or better than kazaa but..BUT, if its always yellow and never ever turns green, you didn&#39;t do something correctly

alpha
11-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@8 November 2003 - 13:54
got to remember the light is not absolute or by any means a ALWAYS correct, but if you do open the ports and do configure firewalls you will notice speeds at or better than kazaa but..BUT, if its always yellow and never ever turns green, you didn&#39;t do something correctly
Im running win ME not XP. So if i get this software firewall will it stop the actions of other firewalls? and where do i get this firewall and how do i then config. it? And how do i find out if my internet service provider has a firewall and how do i poke a hole in that?
How does shareaza do away with firewall problems? Wouldnt the speed in shareaza be decreased too?

muchspl2
11-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by alpha@8 November 2003 - 14:23
Im running win ME not XP. So if i get this software firewall will it stop the actions of other firewalls? and where do i get this firewall and how do i then config. it? And how do i find out if my internet service provider has a firewall and how do i poke a hole in that?
How does shareaza do away with firewall problems? Wouldnt the speed in shareaza be decreased too?
no xp means you don;t have a built in firewall, do you have a software firewall? anything icons by your clock say anything about a firewall, think norton has one bundled in some AV&#39;s not real sure witch one,

about your isp, think it rare to have them block it, I guess they could

alpha
11-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2+8 November 2003 - 14:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 8 November 2003 - 14:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-alpha@8 November 2003 - 14:23
no xp means you don;t have a built in firewall, do you have a software firewall? anything icons by your clock say anything about a firewall, think norton has one bundled in some AV&#39;s not real sure witch one,

about your isp, think it rare to have them block it, I guess they could [/b][/quote]
Like i said, i dont know if i have a firewall. I have norton but when i did a search (firewall) in help it didnt say anything about norton having firewalls. none of the norton options say anything about firewalls.

junkyardking
11-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@8 November 2003 - 12:11
if hes talking about dmz&#39;ing then yes wide open ESP with no software firewall, but if he just open the correct ports(6881 to 6889 as stated) he will still have the hardware firewall (router) and I recommend a good software firewall (configured correctly also).

As far as i am aware it&#39;s not dmz, half bridge mode is where it bypasses the router the modem still does the login and it passes the ip address to the computer thou without the the router you will have no nat but you can easily protect your computer with a software firewall like kerio anyway.

It up to you anyway but i found this the easist way no need to forward ports or tweak programs.

alpha Posted on 8 November 2003 - 14:26
&nbsp; QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 8 November 2003 - 14:56)
QUOTE (alpha @ 8 November 2003 - 14:23)
How does shareaza do away with firewall problems? Wouldnt the speed in shareaza be decreased too?&nbsp;

about your isp, think it rare to have them block it, I guess they could&nbsp;

Like i said, i dont know if i have a firewall. I have norton but when i did a search (firewall) in help it didnt say anything about norton having firewalls. none of the norton options say anything about firewalls.&nbsp;

Usally with most of the popular software firewalls it will ask you permission when a program wants to access the internet, your sounds more like a router issue what is the modem/router your computer connects with e.g. brand, model number