PDA

View Full Version : yet another new tracker, sort of

Jack000
01-07-2011, 12:55 PM
hi guys

I'm looking for some beta testers for my new tracker-ish site. Anyone interested? here's the link: www.flashseed.com

it's a bit different from your usual tracker:
- it's a public tracker (anyone can sign up)
- uploads are stored on our servers and web-seeded
- only upload counts toward your ratio
- seeding gets you points, which you can "spend" on direct downloads (carrot instead of stick)

what do you guys think, is it a good idea? :]

anyways, the servers are wide open since there are no users. You can probably max out your pipes both ways if you upload something. Let me know if you find any bugs :lol:

ca_aok
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I think that if you're storing each upload on your server:
A) It's gonna run out of space if the site gets popular.
B) You leave the legal gray area from within which a tracker operates. Now you're knowingly hosting the actual copyrighted content and could get in serious trouble.

Bionic
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Your site shows that files are gonna be hosted on your server. Like what he mentioned above^.

1. Problems
2. We're doing torrents here, peer-peer
3. Wish you best of luck mate

Jack000
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
there's a time limit for each seed, so once they're done it gets booted off the server.

the site will be legal (no illegal files!). I will be using the same filtering techniques as rapidshare et al.

it is a torrent site, but better!

also, from my logs some people seem to be confused. You upload CONTENT files, not .torrent files! :pinch:

gamesover
01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
the site will be legal (no illegal files!).

No illegal files? So what are we talking about then.

PerMaFrOsT
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
there's a time limit for each seed, so once they're done it gets booted off the server.

the site will be legal (no illegal files!). I will be using the same filtering techniques as rapidshare et al.

also, from my logs some people seem to be confused. You upload CONTENT files, not .torrent files! :pinch:
Probably this services would get more users if you host the files in offshore servers :whistling

anon
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM

:mellow:

Bionic
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM

:mellow:

We starting? lol
We just need Scott in here

stoi
01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
So a user uploads something legal, you make a torrent and put it on your "tracker" where you seed it to whoever wants it (from your servers), if a user seeds for long enough something they have downloaded, they get bonus points, to get a direct download, off the same servers that are hosting the content in the first place, so will get fast speed either way? so whats the point of seeding.

or is it

user uploads something legal to your server, you make a torrent, the user gets credit for uploading the content, the torrents are on a 10meg server, but what he is getting bonus points for is stuff on a gbit server, which is different content albeit still legal.

Personally i cant see either working. 99% of people just want stuff, they cant be arsed to give back anything (and most of those not even bandwidth never mind new content)

and a perfect example of what a "legal" site looks like

http://www.mininova.org/

it just doesnt really work, unless you have made a program (linux is a good example) and want to get it out to the masses with very little bw usage (and it already has a huge following), but if its just a tracker with nothing to give other than what other people legaly give you, its just doomed to failiure if you ask me.

Good luck anyway , I hope you prove me wrong.

TONiC
01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Probably this services would get more users if you host the files in offshore servers :whistling

I love how people comment saying "use offshore servers", obviously being clueless as to how poor a network all offshore/tax free jurisdictions (usually one and the same) have, and in turn the high cost of bandwidth and very sh*t peering.

Trust me, if hosting companies, like LeaseWeb (NL), in Europe can't even provide decent speeds to the US, then what chance does the Cayman Islands have?

PerMaFrOsT
01-07-2011, 08:30 PM

I love how people comment saying "use offshore servers", obviously being clueless as to how poor a network all offshore/tax free jurisdictions (usually one and the same) have, and in turn the high cost of bandwidth and very sh*t peering.

Trust me, if hosting companies, like LeaseWeb (NL), in Europe can't even provide decent speeds to the US, then what chance does the Cayman Islands have?
If you donīt know Offshore servers inside USA isnīt my problem bro! You just have to know the right providers... Also is easy to find good EU DCs with decent connectivity to USA but you might need a good budget

TONiC
01-07-2011, 09:16 PM
If you donīt know Offshore servers inside USA isnīt my problem bro! You just have to know the right providers... Also is easy to find good EU DCs with decent connectivity to USA but you might need a good budget

>>Offshore servers inside USA

Unless there's a hosting company called Offshore Hosting LTD within the USA, I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of offshore.

Agreed. The more you pay, the better service you're gunna get. But you'll be paying out the wazoo to host a server on some island, simply because the majority don't have the infrastructure to provide fast and competitively priced bandwidth.

(LeaseWeb use Evoswitch's DC, supposed to be one of the fastest in Europe, and even then I still read complaints about EU<-> USA speeds.)

If FlashSeed get's big, then it's gunna be very bandwidth intensive. As companies only aim to minimise cost, I guess that'll mean OVH :/

PerMaFrOsT
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I think the problem is that they distribute the files using BitTorrent technologie but seems to be a filehosting, so yeah, they will have problems in near future if they have exit and "allow" movies, music & other stuff

Jack000
01-07-2011, 11:07 PM
yeah, the legal market may be a bit niche in the file sharing world, but I have hope! Maybe I'm just a bit naive :P

anyways, think of it as rapidshare/megaupload with torrents. It's completely within the DMCA, and I'll just pull any files when I get a notice. If it ever gets big I might have to consult a lawyer, but for now enjoy the free bandwidth!

if you're sharing a movie or show with a few friends within fair use, I say it's fair game. The system is setup to be semi-private, so only people you give the url to will be able to download the torrent.

Jack000
01-07-2011, 11:13 PM
direct downloads are really convenient for certain things, like streaming a video or if you're at work/school and can't use bittorrent. I might setup more ways to "spend" points if it proves to be not enough of an incentive.

oh, and bandwidth is really cheap nowadays. Disk space is what's expensive. That's why we don't host the files indefinitely (which would be great actually, to prevent dead torrents and situations where 100 people have 90% of the file.)

GreenTea
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure how this will work, but yeah.. Good Luck!
I just can't imagine what kind of legal files will be hosted;
it might turnout to be a site where freewares and sharewares are offered/listed.

ScottK
01-08-2011, 01:08 AM
We starting? lol
We just need Scott in here

why me? :pinch:

anon
01-08-2011, 01:31 AM
why me? :pinch:

Because you and me are teh master thread spammers here.

Waddafocky
01-08-2011, 06:15 AM
You should title this thread differently if you want more response. You need aspiration. As of now, "yet another new tracker" doesn't sound exclusive or secret or rare enough. You should at least do something like "SCT REBORN? SUPER MEGA SECRET EXCLUSIVE TRACKER FSC LOL" That will at least elicit some response.

Also, I like the idea and good luck, but make sure you have rapidshare's legal resources if you're considering expanding, or ever get to that stage. And I'm guessing you have the finance down if you're trying to pull off a project like this.

Jack000
01-08-2011, 06:56 AM
yeah, the cartman marketing strategy. I like that.

There was another site a while back that did something similar, it was called vipeers (http://torrentfreak.com/vipeers-intoduces-free-bittorrent-hosting-081103/) and they gave out "beta invites" for their upload service. I'm not sure why they quit, probably massive bandwidth bills since they were using amazon s3..

ScottK
01-08-2011, 08:07 AM
You should title this thread differently if you want more response. You need aspiration. As of now, "yet another new tracker" doesn't sound exclusive or secret or rare enough. You should at least do something like "SCT REBORN? SUPER MEGA SECRET EXCLUSIVE TRACKER FSC LOL" That will at least elicit some response.

good idea. i like :naughty:

chrisbeebops
01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
(LeaseWeb use Evoswitch's DC, supposed to be one of the fastest in Europe, and even then I still read complaints about EU<-> USA speeds.)

Evoswitch is owned by Leaseweb.

Most of the people complaining about speed from Evoswitch bought servers from resellers with oversold bandwidth. People buy unmetered servers from companies like Rapidspeeds or Evoboxes etc and wonder why they are slow. Well, there is a reason why unmetered gigabit from Leaseweb is over 1000euro when these resellers offer the same for a fraction of the price.... you aren't getting real dedicated gigabit... it is shared among many servers in the same rack.

I have a server with Leaseweb and I get great speeds to USA. :p Tried both in east and west coast. :p

Bionic
01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
loool

Use the Black Stealth skin or do something else.
Can't do him.

-Used that skin for ages and comfortable with the default one. Also, I don't wanna be tricked to login through your avatar. /lol

anon
01-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Also, I don't wanna be tricked to login through your avatar. /lol

There's no login button. :unsure: