PDA

View Full Version : Status of BitMeTV.Org

EyeCandy
01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
We all know of BitMeTV, as one of the elite sites.

You know, like a legitimate elite site, not one of these new sites, that pop up, and try to have that status, by only sparingly pass out invites, and getting pissed when you mention their acronym, Seriously? :rolleyes:

But to anyone that has an account there, does anyone feel, that the site has gone down hill recently in the amount of seeds/activity/torrents being uploaded?

I know staff reads the forum, something needs to be changed....

Rart
01-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow. You're a member of an elite site. And not just any elite site. A legitimate elite site.

Maybe I should just bow down to you right now.

chrisbeebops
01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
A lot of the older top trackers are suffering from a decline in activity. The current tracker community is being flooded by dozens of new sites every month, and lots of people leave their older accounts inactive as they try out the next new big thing.

BitMeTV's greatest strength has become its greatest weakness. The site is rather hard to seed back older content for home users. This meant there was a huge incentive for home users to seed torrents for a long time (or forever), giving the site great retention on rare content. Unfortunately, with the recent rise in cheap seedboxes and ratioless trackers, many people who would normally seed for a long time have stopped doing so, since they can either buy a cheap seedbox for a month a buffer a few hundred GB for a month then leech for a long time, or they can just download most stuff from a ratioless tracker and not worry about having to seed much if anything back. The sharp rise in popularity and membership of BTN is a testament to this. The site is not even a year old and has already nearly 18k members.

IdolEyes787
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow. You're a member of an elite site. And not just any elite site. A legitimate elite site.

Maybe I should just bow down to you right now.

That comment could be seen as insulting if I didn't know you were being sincere.

Btw can someone please give me a list of the legitimate elite sites so in my ignorance I don't go joining a counterfeit and download a bunch of stuff or enjoy myself while inadvertently belonging to any .
Thanx in advance.

PS community ones preferably as I usually find a lot of worthwhile threads and intelligent dialogue on them.

whatcdfan
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
A lot of the older top trackers are suffering from a decline in activity. The current tracker community is being flooded by dozens of new sites every month, and lots of people leave their older accounts inactive as they try out the next new big thing.

BitMeTV's greatest strength has become its greatest weakness. The site is rather hard to seed back older content for home users. This meant there was a huge incentive for home users to seed torrents for a long time (or forever), giving the site great retention on rare content. Unfortunately, with the recent rise in cheap seedboxes and ratioless trackers, many people who would normally seed for a long time have stopped doing so, since they can either buy a cheap seedbox for a month a buffer a few hundred GB for a month then leech for a long time, or they can just download most stuff from a ratioless tracker and not worry about having to seed much if anything back. The sharp rise in popularity and membership of BTN is a testament to this. The site is not even a year old and has already nearly 18k members.

Good point made bro, isnt there anything that these hard to seed on trackers could do make it otherwise?

EDIT: If there is then why dont they?

EyeCandy
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Yea, open registration, or do what TL does and give away a million invites...

You know speaking of which, as big as TL is, I'm surprised they haven't caught any heat...

IdolEyes787
01-12-2011, 04:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCkLEo-DT1Q

whatcdfan
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Yea, open registration, or do what TL does and give away a million invites...

You know speaking of which, as big as TL is, I'm surprised they haven't caught any heat...

Increasing the no of members will increase the peer activity on the tracker making it easy to seed on...............agreed but it will demotivate the members to upload their own stuff on the tracker therefore defying a trackers ambition to have the big/bigger library of content.

One more measure to sort the problem could be "freeleech" but then again it will arise the problem of demotivating the members to upload torrents, for the trackers which are dependent on their members to upload torrents like what/waffles ETC

I once read on what.cd FAQ's "If we put freeleech once a week or twice a month it will defy our purpose if being here", the only thing i could make out of it is that they want to remain as "hard to seed on" tracker which will motivate people to upload as many torrents as they can.

EyeCandy
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
The only wrong with that theory is that BitMeTV has a Donate for Ratio policy....

Daniel_30
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
If you're elite in ShitMETV why you bother yourself about down hill, just brag among your n00bs.

Tokeman
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't use the site daily, so I cant speak to activity on new releases too much, but when I do grab a new show, its usually seeded back within a day or two, and I don't jump on the stuff right away either.
I jumped on an old show pack added early 2009 to the site, and in the past 8 days, i've uploaded 3GB back from it. I'd say the activity is fine from my point of view.

Hard to seed? I don't think so. Does it take longer then a few days sometimes on old stuff? Well yea, you only upload when people decide they want that old show. Thats just how it goes on sites like this, it takes time, but its not hard in any way shape or form to just let something seed.

Edit: to the comment below. I'm a home connection user. Never donated, never had a seedbox. My ratio is very healthy at bitmetv.

Rart
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Good point made bro, isnt there anything that these hard to seed on trackers could do make it otherwise?

Of course there are. Expand the userbase, relax ratio requirements, introduce a bonus system, implement something similar to BCG's SP system or What.CD's requirements, are some of many things they could do to spurn activity.

But will they? Of course not. Plenty of people have posted on the forums complaining of how hard it is to seed there, but the staff have been staunch on the fact that their ratio system is working as intended.

It's simple cause and effect: if it's hard to seed there, people will attempt to find ways to seed. They'll either do one of two things - get a seedbox or donate. And as more people get seedboxes, it'll be even harder to seed, resulting in even more people donating. It's a great way to sustain a steady flow of cash, and it's a vicious cycle that'll never really solve itself without action on the staff's part.

And in addition, the notorious level of difficulty of seeding at BMTV and the extremely high ratio of seedbox users promotes a perceived sense of elitism ever so pervasive in the minds of people like the OP, resulting in less people leaving to far superior sites like TVT.

It's a win-win situation from BMTV, so why would they change it?

whatcdfan
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
The only wrong with that theory is that BitMeTV has a Donate for Ratio policy....

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/429495-Status-of-BitMeTV.Org?p=3548716&viewfull=1#post3548716

IdolEyes787
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Of course there are. Expand the userbase, relax ratio requirements, introduce a bonus system, implement something similar to BCG's SP system or What.CD's requirements, are some of many things they could do to spurn activity.

But will they? Of course not. Plenty of people have posted on the forums complaining of how hard it is to seed there, but the staff have been staunch on the fact that their ratio system is working as intended.

It's simple cause and effect: if it's hard to seed there, people will attempt to find ways to seed. They'll either do one of two things - get a seedbox or donate. And as more people get seedboxes, it'll be even harder to seed, resulting in even more people donating. It's a great way to sustain a steady flow of cash, and it's a vicious cycle that'll never really solve itself without action on the staff's part.

And in addition, the notorious level of difficulty of seeding at BMTV and the extremely high ratio of seedbox users promotes a perceived sense of elitism ever so pervasive in the minds of people like the OP, resulting in less people leaving to far superior sites like TVT.

It's a win-win situation from BMTV, so why would they change it? See post #7 which is also better than trance....

whatcdfan
01-12-2011, 04:36 PM

It's a win-win situation from BMTV, so why would they change it?

Pressing "Thank you" button

kukushka
01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
both btn & bitmetv ratio systems are retarded, btn is better for fresh shit, bmtv - for older, good ratio system should combine their advantages and be easy for new stuff while encouraging seeding of the older content /and making it relatively easily availible to leech for those who keep it seeded/. i consider it as one of the plagues of private bt trackers that all kind of "credits" on new stuff is almost everywhere considered equal to "credits" on older/rarer things

Rart
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
(@Idol) Sorry I've pretty much stopped listening to anything Canadians have to say. I think it's healthier for me that way.

And I tend to get distracted a lot mid post. And do other shit without coming back to read the thread. And I'm just slow. Don't make fun of me. I'm also glad I missed that post, as that video was utter shite. As to be expected.

Edit: to the comment below. I'm a home connection user. Never donated, never had a seedbox. My ratio is very healthy at bitmetv.

It's not to say it's impossible, but if you're maintaining a healthy ratio and are downloading all the files you actually want on a home connection, you're in a vast minority. That's not to say one has to "cherry pick" the files they download just to maintain a ratio, as you mentioned you have downloaded some packs and started seeding them back just fine. However, my guess is that you're not seeding them at even close to the speeds you would get at other, easier to seed trackers. When you have to carefully and meticulously, even severely limit the files you want to download in order to maintain that hard earned ratio, it really takes the enjoyment out of actually consuming the content you just downloaded. I also wouldn't really consider any recent content to be a good measure of the ability to maintain a ratio, as that kind of is contrary to the point of using such a niche tracker in the first place.

Tokeman
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
If you give bonus points or ease ratio requirements on older stuff, there would be less seeders, since the people on the older stuff would not have any incentive to keep seeding (IE reaching 1/1). This would mean less older content available and at less speeds as well IMO. Of course that isn't always the case, but thats what I would see happening if they changed their system. As I said earlier, the system is not flawed, people just want everything right away, and on older stuff, that just doesn't happen when seeding back. It takes time, get used it it, or move onto another site, you will not be missed.

The old pack I downloaded came in at full speed, maxing out my downstream, and I'm quite content with the 3+GB that I have uploaded in the past few days. Quite good on a pack almost 2 years old.

Almost all the stuff I grab is older as well.

Edit: Ok, I do get that I am in the minority, as I do not use bitmetv daily and download masses of stuff. But IMO bitmetv is about finding those shows you can't find elsewhere, and really, how many of those packs do you need to download every week? Maybe thats why I do not have a hard time, I only download what I'm ready to watch, I don't download just to download or to amass a huge TV collection for the future.

kukushka
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
If you give bonus points or ease ratio requirements on older stuff, there would be less seeders, since the people on the older stuff would not have any incentive to keep seeding (IE reaching 1/1). This would mean less older content available and at less speeds as well IMO. Of course that isn't always the case, but thats what I would see happening if they changed their system. As I said earlier, the system is not flawed, people just want everything right away, and on older stuff, that just doesn't happen when seeding back. It takes time, get used it it, or move onto another site, you will not be missed.

The old pack I downloaded came in at full speed, maxing out my downstream, and I'm quite content with the 3+GB that I have uploaded in the past few days. Quite good on a pack almost 2 years old.

Almost all the stuff I grab is older as well.

Edit: Ok, I do get that I am in the minority, as I do not use bitmetv daily and download masses of stuff. But IMO bitmetv is about finding those shows you can't find elsewhere, and really, how many of those packs do you need to download every week? Maybe thats why I do not have a hard time, I only download what I'm ready to watch, I don't download just to download or to amass a huge TV collection for the future.
you don't get it. i'm not saying that ratio system should receive another bonuses, it will just ruin ratio economy. but if some tracker will do let's say 2x upload for original uploader, .1 download / .1 upload for the first week of the torrent life and then increasing to 1/1 maybe step by step for all other guys, it will definitely benefit long term seeders and will hit at seedboxers with their buffer to the max and then hit'n'run for life philosophy.... ....and promote uploaders too. if there will be to few seedboxes that it'll start to hurt initial swarm speed, those .1 factors can always be regulated one way or another. why the hell the only tracker that i know that gives bonuses for uploaders is a rutracker (where those bonuses aren't needed that much anyway) what i proposed is quite simple and i'm sure there are more optimal ways of doing it but still...

bmtv system was less flawed until freeleech opportunities started to appear, but it's a new world of some kind and either way old sites will modify themselves or they'll go to stagnation in the best case

stoi
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I am not a member of BitmeTV but surely its.

A: The uploaders can only upload shows that are not already on the tracker, as its a few years old and they have packs, the chances of finding anything is slim to none that they dont have.

B: Most members dont want to upload, shame but true.

C: They have basically been closed for ages (and are specialized), yes a few invites giving out here and there, but the memberbase has everything they could want that is already on the tracker, so they dont bother downloading as much from it anymore, especially old shows.

D: there are not millions of users that use private trackers, its probably a hard core of 20,000 (and thats being generous) and these are usually in at least another 10 trackers, and probably 2-3 accounts on most of the big ones, so they use other sites/dont use others etc etc

Obviously i am taking my experience with BCG into this, but we have 45,000 members, only about 12,000 unique peers, but 150,000 seeders and only about 2,000 leechers, its just getting a lot harder (and that is with our SP system) to get members that A: download, and B: stay for awhile and keep downloading, and we have been open a hell of a lot recently, but its the same protagonists that usually get in. I just think we are very similar apart from us being open and having a system in place to help older torrents (and newer ones as well).

Rart
01-13-2011, 03:46 AM

By packs I was referencing your post, not my own downloading habits. I'm not sure if you meant packs as in the conventional sense of "packs" like on 0day sites, or packs as in TV seasons, but in my experience, when downloading seasons of TV shows (what is that, ~6-8 gigs give or take), it takes me weeks and weeks of purely seeding BMTV torrents to even have a chance of seeding it back, and even then it's not guaranteed. And these are on more recent, modern TV shows, imagine how hard it would be on older, more obscure shows? Maybe you're getting lucky with your show selection and how much interest they garner at BMTV, but given the general sense of the FST and BMTV forums, I would assume that your seeding success is a definite minority.

And at that point, it really isn't even fun anymore. When you're spending more time worrying about whether you can "afford" to download a season (and no, I don't mean constantly downloading packs, I mean downloading a season of a TV show once every few weeks) than actually viewing the content you download, what's the point?

While introducing things such as seedpoints certainly do raise concerns of torrent longevity, ultimately the biggest factor in torrent longevity is simply activity. If more people are willing to jump on to a torrent because it won't as drastically impact their ratio, it'll tend to outnumber the losses you'd get from those who don't feel the need to seed the file anymore. The perfect example of this is TVT: while there are absolutely no seeding length requirements and you can hit n run as much as you like without repercussions, I consistently see 5-6 times as many seeders on obscure season packs than on BMTV, not to mention that simply put a lot of the time those season packs are dead and abandoned on BMTV. Why is retention on TVT better, even though it has absolutely no rules on hitnrunning? It's because the sheer amount of peer activity resulting from an easy to seed environment (helped by things such as 1.5x upload bonus for seeders) far overcompensates for the amount of people that drop off a torrent because they have no motivation to continue seeding it.

Six66Mike
01-13-2011, 06:43 AM
There's a lot of things I find wrong with BMTV these days after a long time of being the best site in my books. Here's some:

- The site is stagnant, nothing happens. New features, new code, new anything is non-existent. It's the same boring forum contest every few months and nothing else. The owners and developers show absolutely no interest in keeping the site relevant or fresh. And no, I don't consider "Previews" a new feature... it's just a bloody forum with YouTube links, woopty doo.

- Seeding is not hard, and it never was. From a 1mbit upload in Australia I was more than capable of getting a 1TB buffer, so all the nonsense about how hard it is to keep a ratio there is just that, nonsense.

- There's never been very good quality control, there's a lot of dupe uploads and a lot of bad rips that don't get replaced or removed.

- Given the age and size of the site the current userclass system is dated and obsolete. They need to revamp the system entirely or introduce new userclasses.

- They can't even give you a snatch list in your profile. The code/site keeps track of all uploads and downloads, surely it's not hard to insert a link listing them all.

- The site still falls over and crawls during prime time season when releases are at their highest point.

- The Top 10 hasn't worked for as long as I can remember, going on 3 years.

The only thing they seem do is keep the site online and manage the client whitelist, not much else appears to be happening. If they don't change it, BTN will esily take over very soon and they are well on their way to doing so now. I give it 2-3 more months and BTN will be the new king of TV trackers.

Lucifer9999
01-13-2011, 09:25 AM
it is a very good site, but the competition with tvt.ro, btn and tvt.com is very tough....

IdolEyes787
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
There s more in your post that I disagree with but those being more your opinion I won't comment on ,however......

- Seeding is not hard, and it never was. From a 1mbit upload in Australia I was more than capable of getting a 1TB buffer, so all the nonsense about how hard it is to keep a ratio there is just that, nonsense.

There must be two sites named BitMeTV then.

If they don't change it, BTN will esily take over very soon and they are well on their way to doing so now. I give it 2-3 more months and BTN will be the new king of TV trackers.

Besides the fact that in a system that is simply about whether you can download basically the exact same files from one place or another it's silly to want to call any "the king" if you choose to do so at least caveat it with "for those caring about userclasses or "walls' or "stamps" or " pointlessly pretty pictures" or their "pecking order" in the bt world" .Otherwise if you just want to find which TV shows you wish to view and watch them with a minimum of fuss or worry then , as Rart said , TVT is clearly just as good.:unsure:

Btw I'm an extremely competitive person I just don't see the point in competing over things that in effect serve the same purpose.

EyeCandy
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
- The site is stagnant, nothing happens. New features, new code, new anything is non-existent. It's the same boring forum contest every few months and nothing else. The owners and developers show absolutely no interest in keeping the site relevant or fresh. And no, I don't consider "Previews" a new feature... it's just a bloody forum with YouTube links, woopty doo.

This is probably the biggest thing that I agree with you on. They need to change/maintain with the times. I mean even torrentleech has done a major overhaul. Nothing has changed on that site in the past 5+ five years, to keep it fresh or renovating. One way I've noticed the user base has gone downhill, when almost no one competed in the Christmas banner competition, unlike two years ago; when they had to expand the time frame, this time around.

They'll be like myspace, not make any changes and let the next biggest thing (facebook/BTN/TVT) take over, and when they try to make changes. It'll be too late...

Bzzzzzzzz...Wrong

- Given the age and size of the site the current userclass system is dated and obsolete. They need to revamp the system entirely or introduce new userclasses.

Not something I particularly care about, I mean shit on BCG, everyone is pretty much a fuckin user or a piece of shit. They did away with Power User, etc.

- The Top 10 hasn't worked for as long as I can remember, going on 3 years.

Which to me shows they don't maintain their code, even with all the money they make being a donate for ratio site...

Rart
01-13-2011, 03:51 PM

:unsure:

As Idol said, not sure which BMTV you're talking about...

The only thing they seem do is keep the site online and manage the client whitelist, not much else appears to be happening. If they don't change it, BTN will esily take over very soon and they are well on their way to doing so now. I give it 2-3 more months and BTN will be the new king of TV trackers.

They'll be like myspace, not make any changes and let the next biggest thing (facebook/BTN/TVT) take over, and when they try to make changes. It'll be too late...

I've only been actively using private torrents for around a ~year and a half so I won't pretend to know what it was like before then, but at least from what I've seen, BMTV isn't and never has been any sort of "king" at all. When TVT surpasses BMTV is every objective manner you could possibly think of (peers, retention, selection of shows), the only thing that BMTV has over sites like TVT is the sheer amount of elitism surrounding the site that seems to give it some perceived sense of superiority over other torrent sites. Unfortunately, TVT isn't rare or elite, so it clearly isn't as good as BMTV, at least in the eyes of the average torrenter.

ca_aok
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
We all know of BitMeTV, as one of the elite sites.
Oh shit... and my class is "Elite" there, meaning I'm the Elite of the Elite. Fucking bow down to me now.

:lol:

Seriously though, this entire thread is useless. If you want to inspire change, man up and post something in their forums instead of here behind a pseudonym.

EyeCandy
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Seriously though, this entire thread is useless. If you want to inspire change, man up and post something in their forums instead of here behind a pseudonym.

Yea, BitMeTV is one of those ban-happy, kick from IRC for idling too long, take all of your invites, change your title cause I didn't like what you said in IRC...Hence their holier than though, elite attitutde...

stoi
01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Not something I particularly care about, I mean shit on BCG, everyone is pretty much a fuckin user or a piece of shit. They did away with Power User, etc.

Why is a user a piece of shit?

strange comment.

and why is a Power user so much better than a user?

EyeCandy
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Why is a user a piece of shit?

strange comment.

and why is a Power user so much better than a user?

I said user OR a piece of shit...

And if you're kitty litter, you have a piece of shit icon, a pile of dung.....

And the way you have your site, but not so much power user isn't better...

But Power Users have that since of pride, that they maintain their ratio above and beyond 1:1, they have access to certain parts of forums, like VIP, talking about other trackers, giveaway to other site invites....but your site isnt ran like that

stoi
01-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Its to get members to strive to get out of KL not just sit there and stay there. (and sorry i didnt notice the OR)

so 2 members.

A: join, download 2 brand new torrents with a seedbox (or cheat, or donate to get the gigs) upload 450 gig on each (its possible) download another 100 torrents, hit and run all of them, have a ratio of about 2-3 with an average seeding time of 2 days = PU

B: Join download what they want, seed everything that they download for days/weeks/months, have a ratio of 1.0 or just less but with 100+ torrents downloaded, and an AST of 30-200 days, yes they have some hit and runs (as in torrents under 1 not grab and piss off) (and i am talking about a global ratio site here) and some torrents above 1 but all torrents they have seeded to the best of their ability = User

That is why we got rid of PU, SPU, VIP for donors and everything else, because it was just wrong imho and its a false economy. an PU/SPU could just be a prick with a seedbox their daddy bought them, or a cheater, it does not mean they are a good user.

IdolEyes787
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
But Power Users have that since of pride, that they maintain their ratio above and beyond 1:1, they have access to certain parts of forums, like VIP, talking about other trackers, giveaway to other site invites....but your site isnt ran like that

We talk about other trackers and give away invites here too and might I add equally as pointlessly.
Also please give me , besides begging for invites at places other than this one , the actual pluses of the seemingly important userclass restricted forums you belong to. :unsure:

I think the whole idea of restricting access to parts of a tracker should only be applicable if it involves security and even then it's sort of farcical given the apparent number of traders/sellers that buffer accounts to increase their value.

All in all wouldn't your time be better spent considering why you feel the need to seek approval from strangers on the internet instead of pondering the necessary attributes that will get you into such lofty sections.

Six66Mike
01-14-2011, 12:35 AM
If you think seeding on BMTV is hard you clearly aren't doing it right. As I said, proper 1mbit upload speed, Australian bandwidth and quota, I did more than alright for myself. It's pathetic how easy it is to build a ratio by either 1) being patient 2) seeding for a long time and 3) using RSS. 3 different ways to not be a complete idiot, apparently that's too hard for many people. It's not a hard site to seed on and I get ridiculously tired reading about it.

And ca_aok I've posted numerous suggestions in the forum and spoken to Q, there's no interest to change anything. Posting any further about it seems pointless, both here & there.

peeves
01-14-2011, 12:40 AM
I was just thinking about this especially after the "ratio booster event" BMTV had a few weeks before. I've been a member for close to two years and this was the first time I've ever witness some sort of freeleech event. I assumed it because BMTV had recognized BTN as a rival and this event was perhaps a consolation to their remaining active members.

To me BMTV is like a stubborn old man refusing to budge and persistently thinking its way is the best. Whereas BTN is like a youthful adolescent not afraid of change and willing to explore in order to improve. Unless BMTV makes new changes or implements new features, it is likely in the near future that BTN would dethrone BMTV as king of the TV trackers.

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 12:54 AM
As they say "stupid is as stupid does" but I don't see how you managed as claimed
I was able to get a ratio of 4 or better on about a dozen sites, 2TB buffer on one seeding in Australia for abotu 2 years. BMTV, What.cd etc, you don't need a seedbox at all to survive unless you're impatient and want to leech as much as possible as fast as you can.

without the help of your many seedboxes on the low traffic caps that Aussies were /are saddled with .
Me no doubt just being an idiot again but the math simply doesn't add up.:unsure:

Six66Mike
01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Who said anything about a seedbox? I was a BMTV user a long time before I had any seedbox. Can you not read? The buffer was atleast 1TB built on a 1mbit connection.

So yes, clearly you must be an idiot if you can't manage a good ratio on this site.

Rart
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Who said anything about a seedbox? Can you not read?

Perhaps you're the one who should learn to read again before being so quick to insult someone?

He asked how could you possibly maintain such a buffer without using a seedbox. In now way, shape, or form did Idol ever say that you stated you had a seedbox.

So yes, clearly you must be an idiot if you can't manage a good ratio on this site.

:rolleyes:

So yes, the 99% percent of users that don't get a terabyte buffer on sites like BMTV on a home connection are clearly complete idiots. Please stop talking out your ass.

And the fact that you're the owner of a very prominent seedbox reselling company adds absolutely no credibility to your post.

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 04:18 AM

If merely lacking the ability to do something ,whatever it may be , that another person in the world finds "simple " makes us idiots then I'm afraid we are all doomed to idiocy then.

Oh well some of us are affable idiots at least .

Six66Mike
01-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Perhaps you're the one who should learn to read again before being so quick to insult someone?

He asked how could you possibly maintain such a buffer without using a seedbox. In now way, shape, or form did Idol ever say that you stated you had a seedbox.

:rolleyes:

So yes, the 99% percent of users that don't get a terabyte buffer on sites like BMTV on a home connection are clearly complete idiots. Please stop talking out your ass.

And the fact that you're the owner of a very prominent seedbox reselling company adds absolutely no credibility to your post.

Where was his question, I don't see one. I see a comment, a statement, not a question.

And I don't see how running Fastsh.it has anything to do about my credibility? Fastsh.it started March 2009, long after I had a solid ratio on BMTV.

If you don't believe me that's fine just stop complaining because you can't manage a ratio.

Bionic
01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Hmmm.. Why so serious?

Funkin'
01-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Because some people can't help but take bittorrent seriously. :rolleyes:

Bionic
01-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Because some people can't help but take bittorrent seriously. :rolleyes:
Roll up bro.. That avatar of yours makes me wanna. Eh, out of green-stuff today.

Rart
01-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Where was his question, I don't see one. I see a comment, a statement, not a question.

And I don't see how running Fastsh.it has anything to do about my credibility? Fastsh.it started March 2009, long after I had a solid ratio on BMTV.

If you don't believe me that's fine just stop complaining because you can't manage a ratio.

Well sheesh, do I need to spell everything out for you? You're taking all of Idol's and my words far too literally. Even the slightest ability to read between the lines would go leaps and bounds.

Question. And by question, I meant a rhetorical question. Idol doesn't know how you could've managed such a buffer without the use of a seedbox. By saying so, he states it as if it a question but isn't expecting an answer as he implied by the way he wrote it that he already knows the answer. Ie, he is posing a rhetorical question.

In addition, congratulations on nitpicking one of the least consequential parts of my post while failing to admit that you competely misread Idol's post.

And yes, Fastsh.it has everything to do with your credibility. And by credibility I don't literally mean your trustworthiness, but your credibility in defending an argument that it is easy to seed on BMTV with a home connection. I don't believe for a second, that being the owner of a decently prominent seedbox provider, you never used a seedbox to seed at BMTV and contribute to your absurd buffer (and even if you started fastsh.it after you had a substantial buffer, my point still stands. You clearly need a lot of past experience to manage a decent amount of seedboxes on shared servers and VPSs, it had to come from somewhere).

Six66Mike
01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
If that was his question I already answered it. Long term seeding. I seeded my very first BMTV torrent up until about 2 months ago. And I did it initially from my home ADSL connection, unmetered upload though at 1mbit speeds. If you stay on torrents long enough regardless of speed you will earn huge rewards. Partial season seeding, also hugely beneficial and outlined in the FAQ on the site to maintaining a good ratio.

I never claimed that I haven't used a seedbox on BMTV, because I have and do so now since I've switched ISP's many times and moved house. And it has contributed, my buffer is somewhere in excess of 6TB now instead of 1-2TB. But the fact remains unchanged that the first 1TB buffer and then some came off the back of long hours seeding and patient leeching on a home ADSL connection. I guess you could contribute the 40-80GB monthly download quota to the lack of leeching, and the free upload and endless seeding to the buffer. Had there been no limit to my download I guess I would have been greedy and less patient, ruining any ratio I had.

CleverMan
01-14-2011, 07:59 AM
It's generally recognized fact that BMTV is one of the hardest trackers to keep ratio (seed GBs, etc), mainly because of those f*ckin' seedboxes. Who is an idiot is usually one that can't admit the facts and do nothing but call everyone around idiots.
Generally, it's not impossible to gain 1tb with home connection of course, you just gotta seed hell of amount of torrents for a long time, well that method does the trick on practically any tracker. However that amount should be downloaded somehow too, without being banned for low ratio

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Like Rart said questions can be implied I would have thought that any idiot would know that. :whistling

And also before the use of seedboxes were the exception and not the norm on places like the one we are talking about here .Not to mention back then BitMeTV as people have attempted to point out to you seemingly with ( as with everything else ) much success , had this particular playing field much more to itself ( the whole gist of the original post actually :mellow:) .

Anyway c'est la vie.The only thing that I really care about in this thread is your boorish insistence on referring to other people, who you frankly know nothing about , as "idiots" .
If I was of like simplicity as yourself I could just as easily state that I have found those that discuss seedboxes on this site to overwhelming fall into the "idiot" category if not by intelligence then by demeanor but since I'm not ,I shalln't.

That btw was a statement.

xirvflux
01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
It's generally recognized fact that BMTV is one of the hardest trackers to keep ratio (seed GBs, etc), mainly because of those f*ckin' seedboxes.

f*ckin' seedboxes? . Your argument is like this: Since my home connection is XX then anyone doing better than me is making it hard for ME to seed. Well, obviously. But if you have a HOME 50 Mbit/s connection, you are making it harder for anyone with a 3 Mbit/s, and those are making it hard for dial up user.

So either trackers make all users go dial up, so that those with dial up don't feel left behind, or accept as the fact that home users will need to have a different seeding strategy as they do now (the successful ones anyone).

I don't see 100 Mbit/s seedbox users complain about gigabit seedbox users, by the way. This is a hobby, and as a hobby some people will want to spend just a bit on it (maybe their home connection, however slow it is), some will spend a bit more and for some it's just a passion and they will spends lots of money as long as it's fun for them.

If you don't want a seedbox - that's fine, don't get one. But either seed for a long time (which is great, it helps keep deep archives) or realize that some trackers are not just for you. There are lot of trackers for more casual users, what's wrong with them?

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
It's generally recognized fact that BMTV is one of the hardest trackers to keep ratio (seed GBs, etc), mainly because of those f*ckin' seedboxes.

f*ckin' seedboxes? . Your argument is like this: Since my home connection is XX then anyone doing better than me is making it hard for ME to seed. Well, obviously. But if you have a HOME 50 Mbit/s connection, you are making it harder for anyone with a 3 Mbit/s, and those are making it hard for dial up user.

So either trackers make all users go dial up, so that those with dial up don't feel left behind, or accept as the fact that home users will need to have a different seeding strategy as they do now (the successful ones anyone).

I don't see 100 Mbit/s seedbox users complain about gigabit seedbox users, by the way. This is a hobby, and as a hobby some people will want to spend just a bit on it (maybe their home connection, however slow it is), some will spend a bit more and for some it's just a passion and they will spends lots of money as long as it's fun for them.

If you don't want a seedbox - that's fine, don't get one. But either seed for a long time (which is great, it helps keep deep archives) or realize that some trackers are not just for you. There are lot of trackers for more casual users, what's wrong with them?

Case in point .

Funkin'
01-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Please guys. According to Six66Mike this simply isn't true. And incase you skipped this part, he is ridiculously sick of reading about it. So I would highly appreciate it, for his sake, that everyone would stop spreading this lie.

I could just as easily state that I have found those that discuss seedboxes on this site to overwhelming fall into the "idiot" category

What about the ones that distribute them?

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't know how to respond since my already precarious toehold on reality has been severely shaken by your apparent move to the Darkside. 64131

Quarterquack
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
You called?

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Case in point .

To elaborate.

Overlooking the fact that ( by your username) you like the previous poster have a vested interested in propagating that sort of thinking , you like the previous poster, for a "smart " person seem to have a questionable understanding of mathematics.
( Again ) Overlooking the fact that anyone the least active on a tracker is unlikely to be on dial-up , it's not a case of 10Mb/s uploaders being equally adverse to slower connections as 100Mb/s up/down . If a person is downloads at those speeds and I upload at say 1 Mb/s I have,what, 15 seconds before all possibility of "gaining" anything from them is gone? At lesser speeds I have at least corresponding more time to at attempt to get something out of the process besides a warning for bad ratio.

Btw not to be a heretic here but I think the whole situation is badly screwed and seeding time as opposed to seeding speed should be of the greatest import.
Again heretical thinking but with more people likely to then join a swarm I doubt if speeds would suffer very much but on the other hand retention would probably increase.

Oh yes if your definition of casual as opposed to "serious " user is simply the amount of largely unused files they consistantly download then someone needs a perspective readjustment.

PS again I see your reason for expounding such malarkey but do you really seriously think that anyone rents a seedbox and spends either an inordinate time or money on building outlandish ratios because it's actually " fun?":mellow:

PPS why the fuck should anyone be required to "have a strategy " for an institution supposedly about sharing and fun?

Funkin'
01-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't know how to respond since my already precarious toehold on reality has been severely shaken by your apparent move to the Darkside. 64131

I've always been there.

Something something something...dark side...

CleverMan
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Well i said that because i'm against seedbox, not because they make me harder to seed or envy, heh. I don't have problem with seeding. But, just consider this example: 1 guy with average home connection gets 1tb by seeding 100 files for say 1 month, another guy gets same upload by seeding 1 very popular torrent from seedbox for 2-3 days. And this situation is quite close to reality i figure. The 2nd guy doesn't have to seed anything now for a while, can get anything and hit-n-run. Not really good for retention of files, and you can bring up any arguments for seedbox defense, but it's true. Not all seedbox users do bad such bad seeding though. I remember couple of times downloading pretty old stuff from seedbox. Well it's mostly matter of conscience, loving to share, and etc.
My opinion, only solution: trackers should adopt some rules to prevent collection extra amounts of upload on new and popular torrents using fast connections, eg like say on certain music tracker. :naughty:
I guess i make your business looks bad, well sorry if so, but that's how i see things :)

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 06:53 PM

I've always been there.

Something something something...dark side...

You know for some reason I always pictured you to be taller.

Rart
01-14-2011, 07:21 PM

A hobby? Stamp collecting is a hobby. Playing computer games is a hobby. Watching sports is a hobby. Watching an singular, artificial number go up as you waste countless dollars is not some kind of pastime or something the people enjoy doing because they're passionate about it.

It's for ego, it's for epeen, it's for getting into "rarer" torrents sites, and nothing more. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

or realize that some trackers are not just for you. There are lot of trackers for more casual users, what's wrong with them?

Oh I'm sorry. BMTV is a hobby for the TRULY HARDCORE, and I'm just way too casual. I'll leave the self perpetuating elitists who can't think of anything better to do with their money to stay on BMTV, while I trod over to TVT, which has far better speeds on older files, far better retention, and a far more extensive selection of shows. Cause, you know, I'm just not hardcore enough for BMTV.

If you stay on torrents long enough regardless of speed you will earn huge rewards....

...long hours seeding and patient leeching on a home ADSL connection ... lack of leeching, and the free upload and endless seeding to the buffer.

Yes. Lets spend months and months trying to maintain a buffer while carefully only downloading the smallest amount of actual content in order to ensure that my buffer remains intact. :mellow: At the same time, TVT can max my upload pipe on even the oldest shows, so I never have to worry about my ratio. The choices, the choices...

In addition, Idol raised a very good point, as you mentioned that you garnered this buffer quite a long time ago, almost 3 years ago (not sure exactly how long, but you mentioned you had your buffer well before March 2009). The BT landscape has changed significantly since then, and I'm sure that there are now exponentially more seed boxes than there were 3 years ago (especially at sites like BMTV). While it's may be possible that you may have maintained such a ratio 3 years ago (apologies for not thinking of this earlier and calling you an outright liar), that is essentially a completely irrelevant point now, as what people really care about is what BMTV is like now, rather than in perhaps some golden age of BMTV 3 years ago when it was actually easy to seed. You can't compare apples and oranges and expect it to be relevant.

And has anyone noticed that the ones most staunchly defending BMTV are the ones who have the most to lose? :rolleyes: I bet if people stopped using BMTV they'd lose quite a significant chunk of their business.

Tokeman
01-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Rart, are you guys talking about tvtorrents.ro?
Just asking because I migrated there when I lost my bitmetv account, about a year and a half ago, and found it to be far from a replacement of bitmetv as far as content went. So much that I went back to IRC to get BMTV back...

Have things changed that much since then, or is it a different site you are speaking about?

EyeCandy
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Just asking because I migrated there when I lost my bitmetv account, about a year and a half ago, and found it to be far from a replacement of bitmetv as far as content went. So much that I went back to IRC to get BMTV back...

Have things changed that much since then, or is it a different site you are speaking about?

How about you not jump in, I was getting smarter reading this back & forth; Rart/IdolEyes787 VS the world....

PS: From what I gather BitMeTV < TVT < BTN

Rart
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM

I was talking about TVT.com.

How about you not jump in, I was getting smarter reading this back & forth; Rart/IdolEyes787 VS the world....

PS: From what I gather BitMeTV < TVT < BTN

:slap:

IdolEyes787
01-14-2011, 10:00 PM

If that's all you got from all this then obviously not enough.:mellow:

Btw to dispel any thoughts of mere sour grapes on my part.

I really just want to lay out the true facts here . Despite delusions self-servicing protests to the contrary it has gotten progressively harder to effectively seed on BMTV but they are hardly alone in that unfortunate circumstance and as Rart my apparent tag-team partner said the question isn't "what silly strategies do you need to employ to get around the fact?" or as the seedbox providers would like you to believe "how much is it reasonable to spend to alleviate the "problem ? " but rather " is any of it really worth the trouble" ?

Anyway if you think that a protocol originally designed ( repeating myself) for unbiased sharing should degenerate into a multi-tier system merely for the egos and profit of a minority then I'm afraid that there is nothing I can do about it.

djkamikaze
01-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I was just thinking about this especially after the "ratio booster event" BMTV had a few weeks before. I've been a member for close to two years and this was the first time I've ever witness some sort of freeleech event. I assumed it because BMTV had recognized BTN as a rival and this event was perhaps a consolation to their remaining active members.

To me BMTV is like a stubborn old man refusing to budge and persistently thinking its way is the best. Whereas BTN is like a youthful adolescent not afraid of change and willing to explore in order to improve. Unless BMTV makes new changes or implements new features, it is likely in the near future that BTN would dethrone BMTV as king of the TV trackers.
no way you've been there for two years, they've done the christmas bonus every year since they opened over 5 years ago. First few years was double upload only, last 2 or 3 was double upload, half-download.

as for comments about their top10 code being broken, IIRC, about 2 or 3 years ago some of the major uploaders threatened to stop uploading altogether because they wanted to remain anonymous, but their names were all in the top 10 list. Since it's a feature I don't think I've ever used on any torrent site, I'm not sure why that's an important feature. I don't even know that they have a professional coder on staff

anyway, the main issue that seems to be getting raised here is that the torrents there are too well seeded. As opposed to the majority of sites where the main complaint is that the torrents are under-seeded. Bitmetv is not for the casual torrenter, period. It never claimed it was, most of the people on staff there have always agreed that it takes more work on the member's part to keep an account in good standing.

They're still my exclusive site for tv content, both new & old, and I have very little trouble seeding back to 1:1 within 48 hours on a home connection on just about anything I DL there.

Their current site design leaves something to be desired, but the bottom line is it works. I'm not sure why they would really need to grow their userbase, it's been between 18,000 and 23,000 for at least the last 4 years, that seems healthy enough to me.

The forums are less active than they were 4 years ago, but part of that has to be the changing times. when bmtv began, no one I knew was watching their favorite shows on an ipod or smartphone, or streaming entire seasons of shows from netflix... These days I read that netflix accounts for something like 25% of ALL internet activity in the evenings. A big percentage of that has to be tv shows. Stuff that was hard to find 4 years ago is available from a lot of sources now, many of them 100% legal. I used to get 90% of my tv shows from bitmetv, but I now DVR at least half the shows I watch. I use bitmetv for UK & Swedish tv shows now, and maybe 25% of the US shows I watch are downloaded from BMTV.

Six66Mike
01-15-2011, 08:00 AM
And has anyone noticed that the ones most staunchly defending BMTV are the ones who have the most to lose? :rolleyes: I bet if people stopped using BMTV they'd lose quite a significant chunk of their business.

Maybe you missed my multi-point first point outlining all the reasons I think BMTV is failing and will be surpassed by BTN in content, quality, speeds & community very soon. If I wanted to promote my business I would 1) buy advertising and 2) be posting in the Seedbox forum, not here.

Rart
01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Just because you've promoted one doesn't mean you can't defend the other. They aren't mutually exclusive. And you have done both. I was mostly referring to xirvflux anyhow as his post was far more aggressive and blatant in his defense of seedboxes. Although the fact to you seem to refuse to even acknowledge TVT as a viable alternative doesn't exactly help your cause.

And there already is a site that has surpassed BMTV in content, quality, speeds, retention, selection, you name it. It's called TVT. I feel like I'm talking to brick wall here, you've never even felt the need to start a debate with me, only blithely ignoring my arguments while stubbornly referencing only BMTV and BTN. Shows how pervasive this elitist attitude is, people just seem to ignore plain facts. There are countless shows on TVT I haven't been able to find through BMTV, recent and older files easily tend to have 5-10x as much seeders, the retention is far better on old, 5-10 year old shows, and with 2-3 torrents it is incredibly easy to max your upload pipe. And you get a 1.5x upload bonus if you're a seeder. TVT has surpassed BMTV, and it has for quite a while. It's just simple facts.

So is there going to be a point and time at which you'll actually respond to the points in my post? For the last 2-3 posts all you've managed to do is completely ignore the meat of my post while only choosing the smallest semantics in my word choice to nitpick over. Are you ever going to substantiate a response to the previous points I have made, or perhaps you can't think up of an argument against us, as, well, Idol's and my points actually make logical sense?

Six66Mike
01-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Nah I think I'll just ignore all of it :)

Intr4ns1t
01-15-2011, 11:43 AM

I believe this statement falls under the label of irony, but I could be wrong...

IdolEyes787
01-15-2011, 12:53 PM

How to maintain a happy albeit blank superiority.

1. Make an unsubstantiated but "high sounding " statement.
2. If anyone gives counter-arguments put fingers in ears all the while silently repeating the mantra " I am right and they are douches.I am right and they are douches "
3. When pressed pretend that you actually already given the answer to everything and the offending parties are so far beneath you you tire of them and don't need to explain it all again.
4. Rest comforted that no matter what "Mums" says, you have once again proven that reason , rationality and common courtesy are in fact not truly necessities of life. :):):)

Rart
01-16-2011, 03:29 AM

Alright. :happy: Only serves to make you look bad, I couldn't care less myself. Guess this really shows how ignorant the "elite" in BT really are.

How to maintain a happy albeit blank superiority.

1. Make an unsubstantiated but "high sounding " statement.
2. If anyone gives counter-arguments put fingers in ears all the while silently repeating the mantra " I am right and they are douches.I am right and they are douches "
3. When pressed pretend that you actually already given the answer to everything and the offending parties are so far beneath you you tire of them and don't need to explain it all again.
4. Rest comforted that no matter what "Mums" says, you have once again proven that reason , rationality and common courtesy are in fact not truly necessities of life. :):):)

Couldn't have said it better myself.