PDA

View Full Version : Your Tips To New Torrent Users?

Bionic
01-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Your Tips To New Torrent Users?

What would be your tips to new torrent-users?
Was just wondering and bored. Maybe I missed out something... lol. It would also be useful to new users to private-trackers and such.

anon
01-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Two ones that spring to mind:

Don't bother with l33t trackers.

Learn how BitTorrent works, and use it well. I'm talking about being connectable and setting your client up correctly here, stuff like that.

Funkin'
01-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Grab your content and go. Leave all the eliteness and other bullshit to the kiddies of the bt world.

hulabula
01-22-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm pretty new to private torrenting myself, but I agree with anon and funkin. Stay away from bt forums and blogs after you get the invites you want, or else tracker levels will start mattering. Maybe if you're older than the average bt user, say 30 or so, you'd be immune to such things?

Bionic
01-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Grab your content and go. Leave all the eliteness and other bullshit to the kiddies of the bt world.
+1 - I would also add to that to never comment on a torrent and say "thanks" or something like that. lol

DeadPoet
01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
1. Don't rent a seedbox. Never. It's waste of money.
If you can't keep a positive ratio, delete your acc and join other, easier to seed, sites. There are plenty of them.

2. Join rutracker.

3. Learn to use IRC.

IdolEyes787
01-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Belong to the fewest possible trackers and then to those only because of their content.
Don't base your decisions by what people on tracker related websites tell you .
Avoid IRC.

A
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Goto Idoleyes for counselling before you do anything in BT. I hear there are already 765 people paying him for his services. Famous names include J-Dye, Serb, OlegL etc.

IdolEyes787
01-22-2011, 01:21 PM
That's hardly a ringing endorsement since all those people are still clearly.. ummmmm ..... more than a little off.

Join cool sites with cool people that have cool files and never stoop to sarcasm .
Also avoid thinking since nothing good ever came from anywhere other than your closed little mind.

bijoy
01-22-2011, 01:35 PM

+2:)

Avoid IRC.

Teh best thing to do. :P

DeadPoet
01-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Avoid IRC.

Teh best thing to do. :P

False. IRC often is the only way to contact staff in case your account was disabled/banned or there are some kind of issues with tracker.
It's better to go to IRC than come here everytime asking what happened.

And if avoiding IRC is the best thing to do, how come I've seen you using it not so long time ago?

A
01-22-2011, 02:29 PM
That's hardly a ringing endorsement since all those people are still clearly.. ummmmm ..... more than a little off.

Join cool sites with cool people that have cool files and never stoop to sarcasm .
Also avoid thinking since nothing good ever came from anywhere other than your closed little mind.
Your career as a BT consultant is flourishing I see. Is it invite only now? :shifty:

whatcdfan
01-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Most meaningful sentence with a minimal of typing effort

If you can't keep a positive ratio, delete your acc and join other, easier to seed, sites. There are plenty of them.

But what if that "hard to seed on" tracker has content that is unavailable elsewhere, Most of these hard to seed on trackers dont have the "content-wise" alternatives.

Join rutracker.

I couldn't agree more

bijoy
01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
And if avoiding IRC is the best thing to do, how come I've seen you using it not so long time ago?

for now, I'm in ony 1 irc, and that's too of cn, where i got banned today for -->
you have been disabled for being a trader/seller place: fst. :lol: Confusing part: BT Rep: +1 (which some people gave me accidentally)

So, waiting for the person who disabled me, and after I chat with him, I'm outta it.
Completely moved out of bt few days weeks ago, but yesterday joined in cn again to upload some data which I'd dlled from there before they went down.. :)

OlegL
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
OP, join any bittorrent site you like. Download, upload and/or donate. Love the trackers you are on. What.cd needs your donations. Donate to it to keep it running. Don't forget to be a great pirate.

IdolEyes787
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
False. IRC often is the only way to contact staff in case your account was disabled/banned or there are some kind of issues with tracker.
It's better to go to IRC than come here everytime asking what happened.

Still not worth dealings with the constant lols over.

ActuallyI'm hopeful that in the future trackers regain their sanity and install snail-mail addresses so that if ever banned/disabled I can merely send then a nasty letter instead.
Dear to whom in may concern

You Suck

Sincerely Idol.

PS So does your Mom or at least that's what I read on the bathroom wall.

DeadPoet
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM

But what if that "hard to seed on" tracker has content that is unavailable elsewhere, Most of these hard to seed on trackers dont have the "content-wise" alternatives.

All those niche trackers are easy to seed on, in my opinion, so I would like to hear from you which hard to seed tracker have no alternatives?
I mean, there are no real alternatives for a few niche trackers, but they are mostly easy to seed on (except for comedy tracker, maybe)...

whatcdfan
01-22-2011, 05:17 PM

:lol: Classic

anon
01-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I would also add to that to never comment on a torrent and say "thanks" or something like that. lol

:ermm:

place: fst. :lol: Confusing part: BT Rep: +1 (which some people gave me accidentally)

You can hide your BT rep, you know.

ca_aok
01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
1) Don't trade/cheat, and you won't have to worry about getting banned.
2) SEED.
3) As levels go up, content goes down.
4) I wouldn't say you have to avoid the IRC/forums, but use them if you actually enjoy doing so. Don't look at it as a way to dicksuck for invites.

Cabalo
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
1. http://sabnzbd.org/
2. http://www.just4today.net/
3. http://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/

kukushka
01-22-2011, 06:28 PM
2) SEED.
4) I wouldn't say you have to avoid the IRC/forums, but use them if you actually enjoy doing so. Don't look at it as a way to dicksuck for invites.
oh there's a lot more stuff that can get anybody banned. there's always a chance of it if you're regular user. last example - you just have to live in the wrong country
as for "levels" - yeah, content at hdbits is really a lousy tracker

bijoy
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Idol strikes again :lol:

You can hide your BT rep, you know.

but why shoud I? who cares btw. :huh:

+1 (infinitely)... try to avoid bt if you have the plans t spend money in seedbox..
P.S. I think for some specific releases from any encoder group is not always avilable in unenet. :(

ca_aok
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
oh there's a lot more stuff that can get anybody banned. there's always a chance of it if you're regular user. last example - you just have to live in the wrong country
There are exceptions to every rule.

Bionic
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM

lolwut?

IdolEyes787
01-22-2011, 08:02 PM
2) SEED.
3) As levels go up, a particular brand of idiotic small-minded self-satisfaction can go up in some people in association with it .

More accurate then ?:mellow:

hagckz0r
01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
1. Download what you wish without worrying about ratio
2. Don't enter forums/irc
3. Download again

or Reverse
1. Donate
2. Suck every admin lolypop on irc
3. Loose your life on forums/irc
4. Become an admin and ban everyone including yourself

Quarterquack
01-22-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm glad the male restroom is usually devoid of personal jabs.

On-topic:
1) Trackers that can satisfy anyone: RuTracker, TPB, GFT/SCC
2) Avoid forums/community/staffers.

gamesover
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM

So is that true for HDBits, Pedros, E, and FTN to name a few. Just because they are high level doesn't mean they are lacking in content.

chrisbeebops
01-22-2011, 10:33 PM

So is that true for HDBits, Pedros, E, and FTN to name a few. Just because they are high level doesn't mean they are lacking in content.
FTN has quite a few nice packs, but for new releases, sites with fast autouploaders like GFT, SCC, etc.. beat it out.
What.cd and Waffles have larger selections than P/E
HDBits... OK, caaok's statement isn't always true. :)

ca_aok
01-23-2011, 12:37 AM

My statement applies to every single one of those trackers save for HDBits. The lossless trackers have far less content than What/Waffles, which in turn have far less content than Demonoid/Rutracker, which in turn have far less content than TPB. It's all relative. The biggest difference is the objective increase in quality of the rip, not the breadth of content. Plus there are entire genres of music that have barely any representation there.

FTN has the same old 0-day stuff that every other 0-day site has, with fewer peers. They have packs, sure, but so do most other 0-day sites. Again, it has less content than a site like SCC, which in turn has less content than a site like IPT or TL, etc, etc.

Funkin'
01-23-2011, 03:20 AM

lolwut?

He means to avoid BT altogether and just go with Usenet.

Dear to whom in may concern

You Suck

Sincerely Idol.

:lol:

Mom jokes are just like video games and cartoons. No matter how old I get I'll never grow out of them.

A
01-23-2011, 03:28 AM
My statement applies to every single one of those trackers save for HDBits. The lossless trackers have far less content than What/Waffles, which in turn have far less content than Demonoid/Rutracker, which in turn have far less content than TPB. It's all relative. The biggest difference is the objective increase in quality of the rip, not the breadth of content. Plus there are entire genres of music that have barely any representation there.
Content should be compared relative to the type of file each tracker allows.

bigdaddydude
01-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Here are some tips.

1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one)
2. Don't use the same user name twice
3. Learn Bittorrent, how to upload and SEED.
4. Don't cheat/trade.
5. Don't hang out in IRC or post much in forums
6. Always read the rules and FAQ
7. Do not download large packs first
8. Beware of the hot torrents
9. Respect the staff
10. Make friends

anon
01-23-2011, 04:48 AM

In point 4 you're telling people not to cheat or trade. If they follow that advice, why should they use different nicknames on each one of their trackers?

stoi
01-23-2011, 05:29 AM
also 5 and 10 how are you supposed to make friends if you never go to the forums/irc?

I really dont see why new members shouldnt come to forums/IRC though, especially if they have questions (regarding anything not just BT/tracker related), just because someone posts a lot, or comes into IRC it doesnt mean they are "sucking up" to the staff, and most owners have been in this long enough to tell the genuine members to the sucky uperers (the sucky uperers will never get a staff position on my tracker anyway), but if you know what the hell you are talking about on a certain subject and you help members out, one may very well come your way (a staff position that is).

ScottK
01-23-2011, 05:44 AM
OP, join any bittorrent site you like. Download, upload and/or donate. Love the trackers you are on. What.cd needs your donations. Donate to it to keep it running. Don't forget to be a great pirate.

Pirate's moral? couldnt agree more. :yup:

Waddafocky
01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
also 5 and 10 how are you supposed to make friends if you never go to the forums/irc?
Although I agree with the rest of your post, I usually make my friends by sitting with people at lunch and talking to them. Or meeting them in classes, or through family, or by being neighbors. It is the rare person that I call "friend" on the internet. For example, although I think many people on this forum are generally friendly, witty, helpful, etc. I wouldn't call them friends.

stoi
01-23-2011, 07:22 AM
well i presumed, as the thread is about BT and trackers and advice to new members, he meant make friends on trackers, not in real life, you dont even need to have the net never mind be on a tracker to make friends in real life, so i really dont see your point tbh.

Bionic
01-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Here are some tips.

1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one)
4. Don't cheat/trade.
9. Respect the staff
10. Make friends

Can you be my friend?

gamesover
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Here are some tips.

Worst advice ever. If you have different usernames at all your trackers people could easily assume your an account trader. When someone trades for an account they don't get to choose the username they have at the tracker, so someone who trades lots of account will have all kinds of crazy usernames that don't relate to each other at all. On the other hand, if you have the same username at your trackers the worst that could mean is your trading invites. For the reason I stated it's literally impossible to be an account trader if you use the same username everywhere.

Unless you have all the trackers you need and don't need to bother searching for any invites, which wouldn't apply to new torrent users, having a name people recognize and trust helps a great deal.

Bionic
01-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Here are some tips.

...having a name people recognize and trust helps a great deal.

Learn people..

ca_aok
01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Agreed. I have the same nick everywhere, including here (minus the underscore) and I've yet to run into any problems.

IdolEyes787
01-23-2011, 04:01 PM

I really dont see why new members shouldnt come to forums/IRC though, especially if they have questions (regarding anything not just BT/tracker related), just because someone posts a lot, or comes into IRC it doesnt mean they are "sucking up" to the staff, and most owners have been in this long enough to tell the genuine members to the sucky uperers (the sucky uperers will never get a staff position on my tracker anyway), but if you know what the hell you are talking about on a certain subject and you help members out, one may very well come your way (a staff position that is).

People don't go to IRC because it's an overly-complicated for the neophyte ?
As for forums I can't really comment on BCG not being active there but most give up in frustration either out of general lack of activity or subjects being largely about things they have little interest in. I know despite best intentions that I've beaten my head against the wall in both regards at a couple places.

As for being staff, no disrespect intended but seriously who in their right mind wants to be that?

One comment on the "making friends " part .You can set out to be friendly but you can't tick in your diary "Today I will make friends "
You either make friends naturally or you don't .Anything premeditated transforms the process into something else entirely and I don't think the word for it is very nice.

bijoy
01-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Here are some tips. modified by bijoy

There are 2 types of users.. So, there will be 2 cases.. :lol:

Case 1: (for good users)
1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one) Comment: This is optional/half true. If you are registering in any well known/old tracker then use your preferred email. Use a saperate email ID while joining any new tracker which just come into the picture. So, 2 e-mail IDs are good. :)

2. Don't use the same user name twice Comment: ALWAYS use same username. Btw what's in the name? :idunno:

4. Don't cheat/trade.

5. Don't hang out in IRC or post much in forums Comment: Post in forums, when you need some serious info. now-a-days I can see irc become nothing more than a place to troll & ass licking. P.S. I don't know anything about bcg irc.. Never been there.. ;)

7. Do not download large packs first Comment: If they are freeleech then grab them if the seeder: leecher <= 4:5 (at least) <--- refer to snatchlist for more details like peer speeds, it is most imp, as it tells you the difference between active peers & partial snatchers.

9. Respect the staff Do not respect, but behave politely with very few staffs, specially the veterans (generally, admin & sysops) of some old trackers..
Addition: always avoid mods, most of the cases they some some new 'active' members who got teh promotion.. Look their id number in the site to be sure.. If the id is less then its good, otherwise just avoid them those kids. :P

10. Make friends <-- this not really helps except for accidentally making friendship with someone who is hdbits vip *peace*...

Case 2: for other users who don't love to be a good user.

1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one) <-- very important.

2. Don't use the same user name twice <-- very important!!!

3. Learn Bittorrent, how to upload and SEED. Comment: Do you need to?

4. Don't cheat/trade. :whistling

6. Always read the rules and FAQ Comment: don't waste your valuable time. :D

8. Beware of the hot torrents <-- really, do you need to? :huh:

9. Respect the staff Comment: huh! who cares?? right? ;)

10. Make friends Comment: what's the use of it??

:01::naughty:

whatcdfan
01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Good one bijoy, especially the second part

ninjaxz
01-23-2011, 05:08 PM
i saw a screenshot of a tracker whatcdfan posted yesterday ..

which tracker was that ?

the black one ..

stoi
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM

People don't go to IRC because it's an overly-complicated for the neophyte ?
As for forums I can't really comment on BCG not being active there but most give up in frustration either out of general lack of activity or subjects being largely about things they have little interest in. I know despite best intentions that I've beaten my head against the wall in both regards at a couple places.

As for being staff, no disrespect intended but seriously who in their right mind wants to be that?

One comment on the "making friends " part .You can set out to be friendly but you can't tick in your diary "Today I will make friends "
You either make friends naturally or you don't .Anything premeditated transforms the process into something else entirely and I don't think the word for it is very nice.

Surely to make friends on a tracker (if indeed you want to) you still have to take part, its no good not using the forums/IRC and then saying, damn they are crap and not very talkative, if you dont use them yourself. So saying in 1 point, dont use the forums or IRC and then in the next point make friends, how can you make friends on a tracker if you dont use forums or IRC? that was my point.

And why shouldnt someone want to be staff, pleased not everyone thinks like that or there wouldnt be any trackers.

but in all honesty, and this is going back somewhat on what i have been trying to prove, when this was the Klite forums years ago, I made about 10-20 friends on here in a few months, added them to chat programs, and they helped me get BCG off the ground (IE being staff), then i left here because i didnt use Klite anymore, came back as it is now FST, and in 3-4 years i have not made 1 friend on here, as in adding to a chat program and chatting to them live over that.

It just seems everywhere is changing, back then you made friends and shared stuff, I even had my own FTP with stuff on for users on here from my 32KBs connection, instead of them getting it from Klite, now you never see anything like that, and i dont think its just BT its the whole of the net, its gone far to impersonal, or social networking where you may have 1000 ppl on your friends list, and only ever talk to 2.

but anyway to new users, read the faq/rules and dont think well "i read the ones on tracker A, tracker B will be the same", they wont be, and then just enjoy it and do whatever comes naturally to you (as long as you dont break the rules)

bijoy
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
It just seems everywhere is changing, back then you made friends and shared stuff, I even had my own FTP with stuff on for users on here from my 32KBs connection, instead of them getting it from Klite, now you never see anything like that, and i dont think its just BT its the whole of the net, its gone far to impersonal, or social networking where you may have 1000 ppl on your friends list, and only ever talk to 2.

Just be honest, tell on thing: don't you think that the bolded part is actually doing very much harm to bt?? I used to have some (4-5) very good friends in bt 4-5 years back.. they were very famous uploaders in some trackers... And now, all of them moved to usenet, rarely use bt, except for (explicitly saying) whatcd and bcg.
Not only them, I heard that many many 'good' users of the past are not there in trackers... Not so much popular nicks... :(
Even I don't know last time when & where I saw pdq in an irc chan or tracker.. ( only example )

stoi
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
people grow up, get jobs, get families and even die, so other things take over their life, the problem that i am seeing, and it may be just on BCG is the older members are going for whatever reason, but if we open up we may get 3 members out of 3,000-10,000 that join in so to speak, 1 of those will be all over the forum/irc tracker for 2 weeks and then just disapear when they dont get staff, another one may last a couple of months, and maybe the other if we are lucky will stay for the long haul.

We have just pruned bambacha, 87TB uploaded #1 on the top 10, VIP but he has not been seen for 80 weeks (VIP are immune to pruning). keeping him as a VIP did not really send the correct message out "oh bambacha is still VIP i dont have to even login for over year and i can remain as VIP" as VIP is gained from the staff/other VIPs not from ratio/donations on BCG. But i had to put him to user and so he got pruned by the system, and i did try to send him an email but it got returned to me, so no idea whats happened to him, but we gave him every chance.

As an owner i would much rather see someone make 2-3 informative/helpful posts a day over a 6 month to a year period, than a member that joins and makes 80 posts a day, even if some of those are helpful/informative, just to try and get attention for a staf postition (mind you they may just like using forums but if they did they wouldnt just disapear after 2 weeks).

So yes, older members leave, and the newer members usually dont give a shite, and probably the older members dont either, its all about getting into as many as you can these days, or just curiosity, join up, nah, leave.

bigdaddydude
01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
It's interesting to hear all of your opinions. I just never thought that I should keep the same username everywhere I go. Why would it not make sense?

ca_aok
01-23-2011, 06:31 PM
I think one of the issues that BCG and game trackers in general face is that their products have quite a bit of longevity. If you download a movie, and watch it maybe twice, that's 4 hours of your time taken up. You're going to be looking for new movies fairly soon. However, I can play a good game for months before going to look for a new download. That's one of the reasons I never joined BCG until it was open signups, as I worried and still worry that my account will probably get pruned since I won't download enough stuff.

On an unrelated side note I also found the rules against uploading DLC, patches, and the like somewhat disheartening, since I was used to having them at Bitgamer. I know there was a poll about that a while back but I'm not sure what the results were. I see from the current poll that they're going to be at least partially allowed, which is a good thing imo :)

stoi
01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
You have lost me lol when has DLC, patches and the like ever been disallowed on BCG? they have always been allowed. we just could never work out which cat they should go in game dox like usenet has them or in their respective cats so PC for PC patches, Jtag for DLC etc etc.

ca_aok
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Perhaps the selection was just lower than I was used to then. I remember I went looking for some when I first joined and came up empty handed :(

stoi
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
well we dont disallow them thats for sure, we have 400 with update in the title, 200 with patch in the title and 505 with DLC in the title, so maybe you just got unlucky, but you could have requested them if you needed them badly.

bijoy
01-23-2011, 08:18 PM
well we dont disallow them thats for sure, we have 400 with update in the title, 200 with patch in the title and 505 with DLC in the title, so maybe you just got unlucky, but you could have requested them if you needed them badly.

from where you come up with these exact numbers? :lol:

stoi
01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
its called search

search update
search patch
search DLC

pretty clever eh lol

bijoy
01-23-2011, 08:30 PM
its called search

search update
search patch
search DLC

pretty clever eh lol

only avilable for admins eh!! (guess advanced search or something like that) :P
Btw: looks like you are funny person...lol... (DO not consider it as ass licking :P ) <-- teh main thing of cncern in bt

anon
01-23-2011, 08:33 PM

:frusty:

whatcdfan
01-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Btw: looks like you are funny person...lol... (DO not consider it as ass licking :P ) <-- teh main thing of cncern in bt

Someone is having a lot of fun :D

stoi
01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
not sure if you are trying to pull my leg here or something, but its the standard search on the tracker browse page, type update press search and 200 torrents will show up. you can even search in descriptions, type what you want, drop down to descriptions press search, good for seeing if anything is in a pack (i the uploader has listed whats in the pack of course).

anyway will leave it there, as i am pretty sure i am heading towards a fall here (but maybe this will help some new users, even though it is pretty commen knowledge, or so i thought before this thread lol)

bijoy
01-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Someone is having a lot of fun :D

confusion tend to happen all the time, and sometimes it have a lot of advarse effect on amyone's e-life. So, just want to be clear from all these 'e' thingy.

not sure if you are trying to pull my leg here or something,

that's the problem with internet.. I want to mean one thing and people at the receiving end tend to think/understand another point.. :lol:
btw, I never tried to experiment with search function till now :)

gamesover
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Don't know if its been said already, but never say you 'dream' of a tracker. I hate it when people say that, don't dream about getting invited to a tracker. None of them are worth dreaming about. You should 'want' to be invited to a tracker. Dream about things that matter like meeting the love of your life or finding that great job.

Funkin'
01-23-2011, 11:46 PM
It's interesting to hear all of your opinions. I just never thought that I should keep the same username everywhere I go. Why would it not make sense?

I don't have the same nick everywhere, and I've never ran into a problem because of it. I certainly don't care about some online reputation, so having the same nick everywhere holds no interest for me. I like changing things up a bit.

If you want to use a different nick at each tracker then do it. Just because a few people have the same username at every site they belong to doesn't mean you have to.

Intr4ns1t
01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Some practical(not political) hints for BT:

1.) If you are downloading a pack, and it is going slowly, prioritize individual movies/episodes to enjoy some of the content in that pack before it is anywhere near finished. {especially useful trick if you actual consume the files you download}.

2.) When searching most trackers, use at least 4 characters, as most unaltered search functions require a minimum of four characters to actually do anything( this avoids the "omg I got 2000 results searching for 13" problems) Try including other parts of a common naming scheme like the format/year/group.

3.) Try not to download directly to cheap external hard drives if you can, as it's much harder on your hardware. Moving files from your main hdd to the external will generally be much quicker anyways. (this helps avoid many of the "disk overload" errors seen when dling, as well as constantly fluctuating speeds)

4.) Do not try download faster than your hardware can handle. (self explanatory) Honestly, you should always cap your download and upload speed to below your max speeds. This leaves you bandwidth for the rest of your internetting wants.

5.) Avoid brand new blockbusters on public trackers(safety first) These are the swarms that generally get the most attention from ip harvesting orgs.

6a.) Public Trackers - read the comments first. This is the best way to avoid infected/fake files. If you get a fake/infected file, LEAVE A FUCKING COMMENT!(sorry for yelling, I just really hate that more people don't warn others about bs files)
6b.) Private trackers - ignore the comments. If the file is borked, a decent private tracker will remove the bad versions, and beyond that there's no need for comments on the file itself.

7.) Learn how to use the advanced functions on your bt client, such as queing, moving dls on completion, schedules, limiters, rss feeds, as they can greatly assist your torrenting experience.

8.) Do not operate under the assumption that downloading from a private tracker makes you any safer than downloading from a public tracker, even if you are. (safety first) Always practice safe filesharing.

9.) If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It's the internet people.That Inception.2010.1440p that was uploaded in 2008? Probably not real. Harry Potter 9? Probably a fake. Brand new leet tracker, with 170,000 torrents, and 1,000,000 members, that noone heard of before two days ago? Probably bs.

10.) Never ever ever believe that you need to download shit you don't want. That's horse crap, and if you feel a need to do so on a tracker, you probably don't need that site. I have yet to be on ANY site that was the only place/way to get a specific bit of media.(I will give an exemption for language specific trackers that are non-english)

anon
01-24-2011, 01:21 AM
3.) Try not to download directly to cheap external hard drives if you can, as it's much harder on your hardware. Moving files from your main hdd to the external will generally be much quicker anyways. (this helps avoid many of the "disk overload" errors seen when dling, as well as constantly fluctuating speeds)

You can change your client's disk cache settings to overcome that. For example, I've set uTorrent's disk cache size to 100MB, and tweaked some of the other settings to minimize disk access as much as possible. I download and seed 90% of my stuff to and from my terabyte external drive, and never had any problems.

A more general tip for external HDD users, always make sure it's operating in USB 2.0 mode, and don't disregard those "the device could work faster" pop-ups from Windows. If files are copied to that drive at 900kB/s, you know what the problem is.

4.) Do not try download faster than your hardware can handle. (self explanatory) Honestly, you should always cap your download and upload speed to below your max speeds. This leaves you bandwidth for the rest of your internetting wants.

True. Limiting your upload speed to 75 or 80% of its maximum is usually the way to go. If you max out your upload, downloading and latency will suffer, because of the extra TCP overhead. Similarly, maxing out your download usually slows uploading down.

5.) Avoid brand new blockbusters on public trackers(safety first) These are the swarms that generally get the most attention from ip harvesting orgs.

To this I'd add: use some form of IP blocking if you download public torrents regularly, and even if you don't (which is what I think you mean on point 8).

Oh, and last but not least...

1440p ... Harry Potter 9?

:lol:

Intr4ns1t
01-24-2011, 01:28 AM
You can change your client's disk cache settings to overcome that. For example, I've set uTorrent's disk cache size to 100MB, and tweaked some of the other settings to minimize disk access as much as possible. I download and seed 90% of my stuff to and from my terabyte external drive, and never had any problems.

A more general tip for external HDD users, always make sure it's operating in USB 2.0 mode, and don't disregard those "the device could work faster" pop-ups from Windows. If files are copied to that drive at 900kB/s, you know what the problem is.

I was trying to keep it as simple as possible, in line with the topic, and I consider cache settings to be a more advanced method of dealing with poor performance. I dl directly to my externals too, but I also am in much less of a hurry than many of these speed demons that inhabit filesharing. Good stuff to know though.

Oh, and last but not least...

1440p ... Harry Potter 9?:lol:

;)

Cabalo
01-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Some practical(not political) hints for BT:

1.) If you are downloading a pack, and it is going slowly, prioritize individual movies/episodes to enjoy some of the content in that pack before it is anywhere near finished. {especially useful trick if you actual consume the files you download}.

2.) When searching most trackers, use at least 4 characters, as most unaltered search functions require a minimum of four characters to actually do anything( this avoids the "omg I got 2000 results searching for 13" problems) Try including other parts of a common naming scheme like the format/year/group.

6a.) Public Trackers - read the comments first. This is the best way to avoid infected/fake files. If you get a fake/infected file, LEAVE A FUCKING COMMENT!(sorry for yelling, I just really hate that more people don't warn others about bs files)
6b.) Private trackers - ignore the comments. If the file is borked, a decent private tracker will remove the bad versions, and beyond that there's no need for comments on the file itself.

7.) Learn how to use the advanced functions on your bt client, such as queing, moving dls on completion, schedules, limiters, rss feeds, as they can greatly assist your torrenting experience.

8.) Do not operate under the assumption that downloading from a private tracker makes you any safer than downloading from a public tracker, even if you are. (safety first) Always practice safe filesharing.

9.) If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It's the internet people.That Inception.2010.1440p that was uploaded in 2008? Probably not real. Harry Potter 9? Probably a fake. Brand new leet tracker, with 170,000 torrents, and 1,000,000 members, that noone heard of before two days ago? Probably bs.

10.) Never ever ever believe that you need to download shit you don't want. That's horse crap, and if you feel a need to do so on a tracker, you probably don't need that site. I have yet to be on ANY site that was the only place/way to get a specific bit of media.(I will give an exemption for language specific trackers that are non-english)

I should sticky this. Probably will do some kind of tutorial copy&pasting good tips found on this thread when the dust settles down.

Good stuff indeed.

Daniel_30
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Here are some tips. modified by bijoy

There are 2 types of users.. So, there will be 2 cases.. :lol:

Case 1: (for good users)
1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one) Comment: This is optional/half true. If you are registering in any well known/old tracker then use your preferred email. Use a saperate email ID while joining any new tracker which just come into the picture. So, 2 e-mail IDs are good. :)

2. Don't use the same user name twice Comment: ALWAYS use same username. Btw what's in the name? :idunno:

4. Don't cheat/trade.

5. Don't hang out in IRC or post much in forums Comment: Post in forums, when you need some serious info. now-a-days I can see irc become nothing more than a place to troll & ass licking. P.S. I don't know anything about bcg irc.. Never been there.. ;)

7. Do not download large packs first Comment: If they are freeleech then grab them if the seeder: leecher <= 4:5 (at least) <--- refer to snatchlist for more details like peer speeds, it is most imp, as it tells you the difference between active peers & partial snatchers.

9. Respect the staff Do not respect, but behave politely with very few staffs, specially the veterans (generally, admin & sysops) of some old trackers..
Addition: always avoid mods, most of the cases they some some new 'active' members who got teh promotion.. Look their id number in the site to be sure.. If the id is less then its good, otherwise just avoid them those kids. :P

10. Make friends <-- this not really helps except for accidentally making friendship with someone who is hdbits vip *peace*...

Case 2: for other users who don't love to be a good user.

1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one) <-- very important.

2. Don't use the same user name twice <-- very important!!!

3. Learn Bittorrent, how to upload and SEED. Comment: Do you need to?

4. Don't cheat/trade. :whistling

6. Always read the rules and FAQ Comment: don't waste your valuable time. :D

8. Beware of the hot torrents <-- really, do you need to? :huh:

9. Respect the staff Comment: huh! who cares?? right? ;)

10. Make friends Comment: what's the use of it??

:01::naughty:

blah blah blah can you shut the fuck up ;).

Intr4ns1t
01-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Why the fuck are you here? Seriously. I have never once seen you contribute a goddamn thing, of any value, either knowledgeable or entertaining, to any topic here, ever. So why don't you stfu?

bijoy
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM

did I hurt your feelings in my post?? specially the 2nd part? :naughty:

Bionic
01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
This is such a HOT topic.

Agreed. :naughty:

Cabalo
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
@ Daniel_30: consider this a warning regarding your participation at this board. As it was previously pointed out, all you do is random insults and attempt to start flame wars.
This is the only warning you will be getting.

anon
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Actually, even though his post was written in a humorous way, I do agree on that it's mostly correct.

respawn40
01-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Don't base your decisions by what people on tracker related websites tell you.

Waddafocky
01-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Don't base your decisions by what people on tracker related websites tell you.
As if any of us actually make decisions as opposed to mindlessly following nonadvice.

A
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Actually, even though his post was written in a humorous way, I do agree on that it's mostly correct.
But to me, Bijoy's post mostly is full of nonsense.

anon
01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Try using Google Translate. :lol:

Daniel_30
01-24-2011, 11:42 PM

No you didn't, you say feelings! what feelings sorry dude this word doesn't exist on me , it's only in the women dictionary :lol:.

@ Daniel_30: consider this a warning regarding your participation at this board. As it was previously pointed out, all you do is random insults and attempt to start flame wars.

hehe Cabalo mentioned the "Insults-flame wars" especially when he keep going to insult the new members in the beginning ;) you make me lol'ed, try to warn yourself and respect all *Community shits" i'll not take that bullshits from you.

@anon : :yup: bijoy make me sick by his post, I hate those arrogants who behave as if they were gods speak what we must do and must not.

anon
01-24-2011, 11:59 PM
hehe Cabalo mentioned the "Insults-flame wars" especially when he keep going to insult the new members in the beginning ;)

:unsure:

I don't think I've ever seen Cabalo flame anyone in the insult sense of the word. And the few times he treated someone "roughly" was because they really deserved it.

Waddafocky
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Cabalo doesn't flame, he wears sunglasses and attends the backyard grills.

Cabalo
01-25-2011, 01:19 AM

No you didn't, you say feelings! what feelings sorry dude this word doesn't exist on me , it's only in the women dictionary :lol:.

hehe Cabalo mentioned the "Insults-flame wars" especially when he keep going to insult the new members in the beginning ;) you make me lol'ed, try to warn yourself and respect all *Community shits" i'll not take that bullshits from you.

@anon : :yup: bijoy make me sick by his post, I hate those arrogants who behave as if they were gods speak what we must do and must not.

I am rough to those I believe will only understand the message that way. You certainly are one of those, and now be warned you are treading on thin ice.

By the way, are you admitting you are a dupe account of a previously banned user at this forum? How could you know anything prior to April 2010 when you joined?

mrnobody
01-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Listen to (almost*) everyone but decide for yourself. Don't let someone else tell you what to and what not to do. If you like IRC, forum, and whatnot where by all means have fun**

*some people aren't worth even listening to

** you might eventually get tired of hearing same stuff over and over again but that's a different story.

bijoy
01-25-2011, 07:56 AM
But to me, Bijoy's post mostly is full of nonsense.

Actually yesterday, I didn't have the time to visit here... So, did I miss something??:unsure:

A
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Actually yesterday, I didn't have the time to visit here... So, did I miss something??:unsure:
People opining about your post?

karachidude
01-26-2011, 11:26 PM
People opining about your post?

someone has a new avatar know :P

tombrady
12-20-2011, 06:52 PM
2. Join rutracker.

Is this a joke? That site is russian, do you use a translation filter or is there a reason to just join retracker without actually using the site...

anon
12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Is this a joke?

Nope. It's an excellent place once you deal with the "issue" of it being in Russian, actually.

tombrady
12-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Is this a joke?

Nope. It's an excellent place once you deal with the "issue" of it being in Russian, actually.

How does one normally deal with that issue?

anon
12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Chrome's translator, or various plugins providing similar functionality on other browsers.

I personally use nothing, because I know where the "search" and "download .torrent" buttons are. :D

tombrady
12-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah I realized that its actually easier to not translate the page, and after a few minutes I could navigate it normally. Of course if I wanted to browse it would be a different story.
on rutorrent are you supposed to seed?

anon
12-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Yeah, sort of. It's a bit hard for people to download otherwise.

temisturk
12-21-2011, 02:31 AM
BitTorrent is a file sharing system--you're always supposed to seed. If you mean will they kick you out if you don't seed, that's a different question and, frankly, one which shouldn't be relevant unless you were planning on not seeding in which case I wouldn't help you.

If you don't want to seed then you should pay for access to usenet (where you're not expected to upload).

Alien5
12-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Why does the latest utorrent say 100% disk overload with just a normal sized movie.

anon
12-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Disk overload only happens with bad cache settings or when another program is clogging the disk for itself. I've only seen it when mencoder was active.

zot
12-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Yeah, sort of. It's a bit hard for people to download otherwise.
I might be completely wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the *other* site you help run -- Small Bandwidth Innovations -- teaches people about .. well, ... something to do with what the name seems to imply. :whistling:

tombrady
12-21-2011, 05:55 AM
BitTorrent is a file sharing system--you're always supposed to seed. If you mean will they kick you out if you don't seed, that's a different question and, frankly, one which shouldn't be relevant unless you were planning on not seeding in which case I wouldn't help you.
If you don't want to seed then you should pay for access to usenet (where you're not expected to upload).

Someone has said this before and I probably can't repeat it with the same elegance but:
I'm in this for me, there is nothing that I gain from seeding torrents after they are complete on public trackers, doing so only increases the risk. I am certainly grateful that other people seed and I realize the importance of seeders. This being said, I always seed the file while I am downloading and until I check my computer in the mornings, and sometimes achieve a ratio of well over 1.
The whole point of this is that I am not paying for anything, If i was going to pay a usenet I might as well go buy some content...

zot
12-21-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm in this for me, there is nothing that I gain from ..........
That basically says it all right there.

But as strange as it might seem, there are actually people who enjoy helping others, without any tangible benefit -- and often at great personal risk -- to themselves. The P2P scene would not even exist without their immense contributions. :)

Alien5
12-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Disk overload only happens with bad cache settings or when another program is clogging the disk for itself. I've only seen it when mencoder was active.

For some reason when I restarted the computer it stopped saying disk overload, so the off and on again worked.Thanks