PDA

View Full Version : Whatbox.ca review

cherio
01-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Potential customers need to be aware of their privacy policy

Account Deletion

Due to legal obligations in maintaining the accuracy of historical invoices, even if you were to delete your account, the majority of the information we store would need to be preserved within those historical records. As such, we do not allow account deletion.

While they will automatically delete the files in your slot if you cancel or decide not to renew, they DO NOT remove the customer records.
This can become a big problem if you are a member of a tracker and get logged by a copyright troll.

Currently they only accept paypal. You are not anonymous when you use paypal. Proceed with caution.

update;
old review was for a plan that is no longer offered and has therefore been removed

Thelen
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Good review.

If you want a similarly priced and spec'd, check out the small from pulsedmedia. Only 4-6 users per server, no 2MB/s limit although being OVH you might get less speeds depending on the tracker, vs server.lu.

cherio
01-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks

Thelen
01-26-2011, 06:31 AM
You can hog a line without using TPB ;)

Either way though, we configure so not 1 user can use everything, or much more than about half in this case, without us knowing about it. Last month our small users did average of 1.7TB upload for example.

kit
01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
thx

Aum
01-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Used a Hardon box for a month and I must say I am satisfied. Probably got ~1,5 TB worth of traffic.

However comparing the Feralhosting/Whatbox 100/100Mbps servers, the Feral gets speeds up to 20MB/s, and the whatbox got me up to 10MB/s.

7/10

Bonus points for the rTorrent restart plugin.:D

cherio
01-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Used a Hardon box for a month and I must say I am satisfied.

Hardon plan??? ROFL You mean Hadron :D :D

Some people really get excited about seeding

Thelen
02-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Yea you can burst to the 100mbit, no problems there. We manage usage by controlling system and rtorrent resources, such that everyone gets fair go for what they pay, other providers do it differently.

DarkestShine
02-09-2011, 07:14 AM
We manage usage by controlling system and rtorrent resources, such that everyone gets fair go for what they pay, other providers do it differently.

I'd like you to elaborate on that, thanks.

Thelen
02-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Feral, for example, doesn't limit the RAM you can use in rtorrent (or any client for that matter). We set it to a 'fair' amount, such that 1 user can only use so much. Then there are other system resource limits we set outside of rtorrent.

keanu
02-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Why don't we get this thread back on topic? Whatbox staffer here. There shouldn't be any sort of cap set in ruTorrent, although it has a tendency to try to change it to 100,000KBps (roughly 780Mb/s, 97MB/s). It looks like your Whatbox username isn't cherio, but if you want to open a support ticket, I'll see if I can find what's causing it to limit you to 2MB/s.

Six66Mike
02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Good review.

If you want a similarly priced and spec'd, check out the small from pulsedmedia. Only 4-6 users per server, no 2MB/s limit although being OVH you might get less speeds depending on the tracker, vs server.lu.

LOL I love how in the very first reply (and every one since) you have been derailing the thread to promote Pulsed Media and calling it we when you announced last month you were no longer involved.

2 points for being the biggest douchebag in the world.

Thelen
02-12-2011, 01:40 PM
LOL I love how you have nothing better to do, like helping your own customers, and instead spread malice and rubbish. I didn't say I wasn't involved, just that I wasn't an employee any more. At least I was constructive, it took whatbox staff 3 weeks to see/respond (granted it isn't the support channel, but considering this is one of the biggest seedbox discussion places, you'd think any provider would spend 30 seconds checking every couple days if someone was posting 'bad reviews'..). Go back to Canada if you want to be rude.

cherio
02-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Why don't we get this thread back on topic? Whatbox staffer here. There shouldn't be any sort of cap set in ruTorrent, although it has a tendency to try to change it to 100,000KBps (roughly 780Mb/s, 97MB/s). It looks like your Whatbox username isn't cherio, but if you want to open a support ticket, I'll see if I can find what's causing it to limit you to 2MB/s.

The slot expired, but thanks for offering to help. I wish I had used the tickets but I assumed 2MB/s was the limit set to slice up the bandwidth for users. If I knew it was a gbit box I would have expected more.

Thelen
02-13-2011, 12:07 AM
It was a 100Mbit box, what he means is rtorrent/ruTorrent likes to reset to 100000KBps for some weird reason, so even though its a 100Mbit box it will say Gbit type speeds.

Six66Mike
02-13-2011, 01:03 AM
LOL I love how you have nothing better to do, like helping your own customers, and instead spread malice and rubbish. I didn't say I wasn't involved, just that I wasn't an employee any more. At least I was constructive, it took whatbox staff 3 weeks to see/respond (granted it isn't the support channel, but considering this is one of the biggest seedbox discussion places, you'd think any provider would spend 30 seconds checking every couple days if someone was posting 'bad reviews'..). Go back to Canada if you want to be rude.

I have no problem supporting my customers and no current complaints that I'm aware of for service either. Rather than talking about whatbox you have been constantly talking about PM straight from the 2nd post.

There's no malice, rubbish or rudeness there. You're just being a dickbag like you are on every forum, changing topics that no matter where they start always end up on PM. In this one it only took 1 post. Good effort. Get hit by a truck.

Thelen
02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
There's no malice, rubbish or rudeness there........ Get hit by a truck.

I lol'd. Such a friendly person... NOT. You ought to change your nick, perhaps you won't feel so inclined to imitate the devil then.

keanu
02-14-2011, 09:19 PM
At least I was constructive, it took whatbox staff 3 weeks to see/respond (granted it isn't the support channel, but considering this is one of the biggest seedbox discussion places, you'd think any provider would spend 30 seconds checking every couple days if someone was posting 'bad reviews'..).

Without being rude, I'm not sure I could consider it constructive. Saying "Sounds good, now check out my [former?] business" isn't entirely constructive IMHO.

To be honest, you seem kind of contradicting...in another thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/430562-IPT-Content-Freedseedbox-Giveaways-Torrents4Days.net?p=3557373&viewfull=1#post3557373) you said that advertising was prohibited on here, yet that seems to be what your first response was in here?

Going through post history some more, it almost seems like you're trying to start flame wars - you're trolling in another Whatbox thread over here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/428767-Whatbox.ca-provider), as there your first response is also "X provider is better than Y". Further, I'd like to point out that calling people "idiots" and "morons" is fairly unprofessional - something that we'd never say to customers.

We have considered offering public tickets, but at the moment we're choosing to keep it simpler until we can find a way to ensure that users still retain privacy in tickets. We'd much rather have a handful of 'community support' members who know (generally) what they're talking about answer any basic questions, than have tickets visible to all customers by default, where misinformation could be spread.

Finally, you could certainly say we should check out various forums more often. It'd certainly be nice to help clarify any issues that appear in reviews, but personally, I get distracted rather easily. I'd rather wait until a thread appears in our referrer logs and check on it then instead of getting lost for hours in various forums when I could be working on support/new features/etc.

Six66Mike
02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll happily change my identity to CaptainRude if you start going by AwesomeMcDickNugget.

Thelen
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
How about AwesomeMcNugget?

Six66Mike
02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Nah I'm done now, keanu said what I said except more friendly. You're a dick, you tried to hijack the thread by promoting your own shit (which you claim to have parted ways with anyways). You're just a sneaky underhanded cunt that I really wish I could filter from the web.

Thelen
02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Without being rude, I'm not sure I could consider it constructive. Saying "Sounds good, now check out my [former?] business" isn't entirely constructive IMHO.

To be honest, you seem kind of contradicting...in another thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/430562-IPT-Content-Freedseedbox-Giveaways-Torrents4Days.net?p=3557373&viewfull=1#post3557373) you said that advertising was prohibited on here, yet that seems to be what your first response was in here?

Going through post history some more, it almost seems like you're trying to start flame wars - you're trolling in another Whatbox thread over here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/428767-Whatbox.ca-provider), as there your first response is also "X provider is better than Y". Further, I'd like to point out that calling people "idiots" and "morons" is fairly unprofessional - something that we'd never say to customers.

We have considered offering public tickets, but at the moment we're choosing to keep it simpler until we can find a way to ensure that users still retain privacy in tickets. We'd much rather have a handful of 'community support' members who know (generally) what they're talking about answer any basic questions, than have tickets visible to all customers by default, where misinformation could be spread.

Finally, you could certainly say we should check out various forums more often. It'd certainly be nice to help clarify any issues that appear in reviews, but personally, I get distracted rather easily. I'd rather wait until a thread appears in our referrer logs and check on it then instead of getting lost for hours in various forums when I could be working on support/new features/etc.

Missed your post somehow. Sure it is constructive, the user clearly was happy with your services but wanted more. You (and Mike) seem to think this is some airy fairy little game - it ain't. It is a million dollar industry, and to some degree billion dollar (if you extend to VPS/dedicated). If it seems non-constructive to be competitive and make money, then maybe you shouldn't run a business...

Advertisments are prohibited, which that other thread clearly is, not recommending a solution to someones problem. Calling people idiots and morons is completely professional, in reality, just not in the stupid "we deserve everything" attitude of America and some other places. It is a privilege to have a seedbox, not a right. If a customer is a moron and costing the company money instead of making it, then it isn't a customer the company should keep. People can get over being insulted very easily compared to getting over bankruptcy and large debt. So as insulting as Mike is, I don't really care cos I'm the one making money and his unprofessional little business will go down the drain when he fails to keep up with the market; and that is a bigger blow than I could ever make with words, even the c-bomb (and you said calling someone a moron was bad lol..)

Lastly, seriously "Finally, you could certainly say we should check out various forums more often. It'd certainly be nice to help clarify any issues that appear in reviews, but personally, I get distracted rather easily. I'd rather wait until a thread appears in our referrer logs and check on it then instead of getting lost for hours in various forums when I could be working on support/new features/etc. " ? Did you miss the whole thing about this being one of 3 public forums on the whole internet that people read to check seedbox stuff?

Forgot to say, it is funny how you all miss Aum talking about his Feral slot, how is that any different lol? Oh wait, it isn't.

Anyhoo, I guess you have your way and I have mine. As long as you are happy I guess it works.

Six66Mike
02-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Just admit you were advertising and promoting your own business. Rather than offer any number of options you went straight to yours and only yours. You advertised, pure and simple.

Professional or not I still make good money, offer a good service, and have a solid user base that you can't touch. I've acted the same way since we started nearly 2 years ago and business keeps coming in.

So if calling you a cunt is bad business then I'll kep doing it because it's great for mine.

Vars
02-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Thelen, the first four posts of yours in this thread—all of them before keanu joined in—are either promoting or discussing PM. You're advertising yourself. If you were actually interested in providing the user with alternatives, you could have given an unbiased response recommending any of the other major players in the industry. Mentioning just PM is not a recommendation, nor helpful.

If you actually wanted to be helpful, you could have told the guy how to actually solve his problem. It's very obvious from his post that he didn't like the fact that his upload was capped at 2MB/s. As someone who claims to be a seedbox "industry expert," you should know pretty damn well that WhatBox's server.lu servers are unmetered and uncapped. Heck, it even says so on the WhatBox website. If you actually wanted to be helpful, you could have at a minimum mentioned that the 2MB/s probably shouldn't have been there, and suggest he open a ticket about it.

Instead, you wrote "Good review," giving credence to the false 2MB/s cap, and devote the rest of your post to boasting about PM. You even specifically mention the "no 2MB/s limit" as a benefit of PM. Your sole purpose, anywhere you go, is to promote yourself and your interests. Which is fine; you created something and you want it to do well. However, there are boundaries and there are ethics, and you need to realize that they exist and that perhaps you should respect them. Otherwise you're just making an ass of yourself.

Thelen
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
If it actually was my business maybe I could admit to promoting it. But it isn't. It ceased to be mine more than 6 months ago, and while I was an employee up to a few days before my post (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1544833&p=46#r919) it was as much advertising as all your posts... I doubt you'll loose any business, in fact you might gain some from people that agree with your attitudes, but you are welcome to those types of people. It is funny to see you outgrown by companies started more than 6 months after yours, I guess you must be happy acting with the same mediocrity for those 2 years :D

Onto being "helpful", there are a lot of dodgy providers that aren't always honest and will do things like limit the speed and only fix it if someone actually complains (a certain defunct host used to do this with active torrent limit). Knowing they use server.lu doesn't mean I know how they have setup their stuff (certainly not when I haven't tested them in over 8 months), and especially because it is pretty hard to accidentally limit a user to something like 2MB/s it beggars the belief they deliberately did it, hence my original (and still now) stance. Anyway, if there is a simple explanation like "zomg we used an old script, we used to limit but we don't any more" (though I doubt that, there has not been any mention of limits like that on their site since I tested them) maybe they could come forward (I know I'm coming very close to accusing them of doing aforementioned dodgy things, but I know how easy it can be for a script to mess up without you noticing, so I'd rather give the benefit of doubt).

As for 'ethics', that is LOL considering we are talking about seedboxes. The scene from Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift comes to mind (where ""DK confronts Han in garage, and after pulling out a gun, tells Han that he put his honor and reputation on his line. Han tells him that "this is what we do", "") as well. Perhaps you guys aim is to not make an ass of yourself, mine was to provide a good service and make money. If I make an ass out of myself in the process I don't see how it matters, you are all random internet people anyway :)

Six66Mike
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
If it actually was my business maybe I could admit to promoting it. But it isn't. It ceased to be mine more than 6 months ago, and while I was an employee up to a few days before my post (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1544833&p=46#r919) it was as much advertising as all your posts... I doubt you'll loose any business, in fact you might gain some from people that agree with your attitudes, but you are welcome to those types of people. It is funny to see you outgrown by companies started more than 6 months after yours, I guess you must be happy acting with the same mediocrity for those 2 years :D

This is the only part that really warrants a response. Throughout the entire thread you have said "we" when referring to PM. And now yoe have nothing to do with them.

Make up your fucking mind already. And just admit to being a dickbag who tried to hijack the thread, repeatedly and blatantly.

Thelen
02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Wow, it really matters to you that I confirm your sad paranoia and need for attention doesn't it. Amazingly sad.

Clearly after running a business for a year and saying "we" about a million times it is a habit that will take time to kick. I also don't "have nothing to do with them", but clearly even if I joined another seedbox company you'd sad I was still biased towards PM, so I won't bother explaining the concept of friendship and helping friends (maybe you don't have any? that'd explain your attitudes :( )

You have as much to blame about hijacking the thread, you could have just pointed out I was doing it and left it at that. Instead almost 2 pages later you are still going on about it.

keanu
02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
especially because it is pretty hard to accidentally limit a user to something like 2MB/s it beggars the belief they deliberately did it, hence my original (and still now) stance

Without knowing cherio's slot username, I can't actually look to see what caused it. However, any of our other users can confirm that we don't limit users to 2MB/s. A blind guess could be that a plugin malfunction could have triggered it, but even so, an rTorrent restart should revert any changes back to our defaults. Given that this is the only time I've heard of a cap appearing in ruTorrent (other than the 10...00 KB/s it automatically sets), I feel confident in saying that it's certainly an isolated incident.

Thelen
02-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Sure, and as I said in my experience a lot of funky stuff happens so definitely I believe you :)

If you are ever interested in having some scripts developed to check for things like this let me know it is on the list of stuff for us (SeedNet) to have developed so having someone to share the cost would certainly help. The main issue we (and I'm sure you have) is the terrible quality of ruTorrent in general. Going over disk/quota and it killing the link so users can remove torrents/data is a major pain but as of yet there won't be a simple fix :(

FUTURiTY
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for good review !

FUTURiTY
12-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Tell me how to download files from WhatBox HTTP protocol directly from a web browser.

Thank you!

n00bz0r
12-12-2011, 07:25 AM
ask the whatbox support team.

garbage
12-15-2011, 07:23 AM
been using this for a while now nothing but love over here:)

FUTURiTY
12-15-2011, 08:07 AM
ask the whatbox support team.
Unfortunately you can not ask for tech support it. :dry:

ghostbustah
12-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Good review been using for about a year now and I have no problems. There were some times some servers went down but were quick to let you know and even extended the month. Support have always been very fast, within houror a day maximum depending on timezone, I suppose.

watchintv
03-23-2012, 06:37 PM
I have been using whatbox.ca for a few months now, I was previously with another provider mentioned in this thread. I thought they were ok perf wise but I was new and didn't know any better, I left because they were not particularly good at answering questions and dealing with support issues.

I am so happy I switched to whatbox.ca, the product is first rate, even though the advertised speed was less than the other provider I am seeing much faster realized speeds than I was before, the price is a little bit less and the support is nothing short of excellent.
I have had a couple of support issues, and the response has been super fast, less than an hour, usually a few minutes and generally very helpful and informative. I have even made a suggestion on how they might change something and they implemented the change it in a matter of a few hours.

If you are thinking of trying a new provider, give whatbox.ca a try, friendly, helpful and responsive staff means a lot to me. I give them top marks!