PDA

View Full Version : The 51st State: Baja Arizona

02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.bandersnatch.com/bajaz.htm

How far do you think this will go?

At this point, I would not be all that surprised if something like this happened.

I wouldn't mind losing Tucson, but I wouldn't want to lose the agricultural areas to the south of Tucson.

Oops! Forgot to add this to it...

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Pima-County-to-become-51st-state-116914963.html

devilsadvocate
02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Looks like a joke to me. Certainly the first link appears to be a spoof site.

but I wouldn't want to lose the agricultural areas to the south of Tucson
How would that affect you?

clocker
02-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Squeeze his supply of orange juice?

megabyteme
02-26-2011, 06:09 AM
It would make it considerably more difficult for him to stay in the lines when coloring state maps.

Snee
02-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Squeeze his supply of orange juice?

Oh please. Not the OJ! Without a steady supply of vitamin C, the democrats will win.

02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Well yeah, I like my fresh veggies and fresh fruits in the winter, and many of them come from southern Arizona. I can't hardly grow anything edible in the winter at 7000 feet above sea level, now can I?

devilsadvocate
02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Well yeah, I like my fresh veggies and fresh fruits in the winter, and many of them come from southern Arizona. I can't hardly grow anything edible in the winter at 7000 feet above sea level, now can I?

Is there some trade sort of trade embargo in the plans then?

clocker
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
They could probably still throw fruits and veggies over the fence you'll no doubt build around your new border.
You can just stand on your side, catching the bounty from the sky...manna from heaven, if you will.

03-02-2011, 01:02 AM

I wouldn't put it past them.

Besides, our state government needs the extra revenue from the sale of their agricultural products.

clocker
03-02-2011, 01:06 AM
But they don't like your state government.
Which is very Tea Partyesque, don't you think?

devilsadvocate
03-02-2011, 02:09 AM

Besides, our state government needs the extra revenue from the sale of their agricultural products.

1. surely if they parted your state would need less revenue, or are they correct that your state takes from them and gives it to other counties (can you say wealth redistribution?)

2. You believe in taxing business?

03-03-2011, 05:37 PM

1. surely if they parted your state would need less revenue, or are they correct that your state takes from them and gives it to other counties (can you say wealth redistribution?)

Unfortunately, you are right about that. The bulk of the state's expenses are in northern Arizona (if you include Maricopa County), and so the agricultural areas of southern Arizona provide more revenue than what is spent on them.

2. You believe in taxing business?

I never said that businesses should pay no taxes.

devilsadvocate
03-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Then I say let them separate.

But it still looks like something from the onion news network to me.

clocker
03-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Please reconcile the above statement with this: "Besides, our state government needs the extra revenue from the sale of their agricultural products."
How does the state derive revenue from sales if not through taxation?

Can you explain why business is supposed to be exempt from taxation?
You are content to allow business to profit off the infrastructure that taxpayers provide?

devilsadvocate
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Please reconcile the above statement with this: "Besides, our state government needs the extra revenue from the sale of their agricultural products."
How does the state derive revenue from sales if not through taxation?

Can you explain why business is supposed to be exempt from taxation?
You are content to allow business to profit off the infrastructure that taxpayers provide? I think you may have misread what you quoted.

clocker
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Perhaps so.
Oh well.

It's good to know that 9 approves of taxing businesses.
If the south of Arizona secedes, businesses in his part of the state will have to step up and remediate the shortfall- 9 sounds like he's onboard.