PDA

View Full Version : Running on a different set of rules than the rest of us.

devilsadvocate
02-28-2011, 02:50 AM
This ain't right (http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/azelections/articles/2011/02/26/20110226bundgaard-arrest-violencebrk.html)

Scott Bundgaard, the majority leader of the Arizona state Senate, was briefly taken into custody on suspicion of domestic violence Friday but was released because he was immune to arrest under rules of the Arizona state Constitution.

In 1988, Gov. Jan Brewer, then a state senator, was involved in an alcohol-related car crash.
Department of Public Safety officers, after learning that Brewer was in the legislature, told her that she had immunity from arrest. No charges were filed in the case. Brewer said at the time she had been drinking but was not impaired.

I'm not commenting on if they were guilty or not. I'm saying that they should be treated like everyone else and shouldn't have immunity from arrest. Of the people, by the people

megabyteme
02-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Thompson said although Bundgaard was not arrested Friday "it does not mean that he will not face those charges."

Thompson said Article Four, Part 2, Section 6 of the state Constitution allows for immunity for members of the Legislature unless it is a "felony, act of treason or breach of the peace." The immunity is only allowed during a legislative session or 15 days before it begins.

The alleged incident between Bundgaard and Ballard "did not rise to a felony," Thompson said. Thompson wasn't sure of the implication of Bundgaard waiving his immunity. "The only immunity was against him being arrested at that point," he said.

I believe this "immunity from arrest" is in place so that politicians cannot be kept from making important decisions, or placing votes. If they were not protected, it would not be too difficult for one politician (or group) to have another detained while a close vote was taking place.

They still face criminal charges, just are not held in jail/detained before a judge sets a court date. Prosecutors do have a chance to review the circumstances, and can charge them for sub-felonies. Felonies are not immune in the same manor- although there are occasional scandals that occur due to too much privilege being granted.

devilsadvocate
02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes I read the article and it doesn't change one thing. Public officials should be subject to the EXACT same rules as the rest of us. An arrestable offense for us should be an arrestable offense for them.

clocker
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Quelle surprise.
The "us v. them" application of the law is nothing new and only gets more inequitable as the scope of the crime grows.

02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Thompson said although Bundgaard was not arrested Friday "it does not mean that he will not face those charges."

Thompson said Article Four, Part 2, Section 6 of the state Constitution allows for immunity for members of the Legislature unless it is a "felony, act of treason or breach of the peace." The immunity is only allowed during a legislative session or 15 days before it begins.

The alleged incident between Bundgaard and Ballard "did not rise to a felony," Thompson said. Thompson wasn't sure of the implication of Bundgaard waiving his immunity. "The only immunity was against him being arrested at that point," he said.

I believe this "immunity from arrest" is in place so that politicians cannot be kept from making important decisions, or placing votes. If they were not protected, it would not be too difficult for one politician (or group) to have another detained while a close vote was taking place.

They still face criminal charges, just are not held in jail/detained before a judge sets a court date. Prosecutors do have a chance to review the circumstances, and can charge them for sub-felonies. Felonies are not immune in the same manor- although there are occasional scandals that occur due to too much privilege being granted.

Yes, Megabyteme is exactly right about this.

The same thing would have happened if it had been a Democrat senator.

This also shows how wrong it is for the Democrats in Wisconsin to flee the state to avoid doing their jobs by voting. They are making a mockery of representative government just because they don't like the outcome of the tea party victories in the November election in their state.

devilsadvocate
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Yes, Megabyteme is exactly right about this.

The same thing would have happened if it had been a Democrat senator.
No shit Sherlock, you think that hadn't occurred?
It still makes no difference. If lawmakers think they are so indispensable perhaps they should stay within the rule of law. "sorry you can't arrest ME, I have to vote on police search and arrest procedures"
This also shows how wrong it is for the Democrats in Wisconsin to flee the state to avoid doing their jobs by voting. They are making a mockery of representative government just because they don't like the outcome of the tea party victories in the November election in their state.

Do you think the filibuster should be done away with?

Is it fair that Wyoming with a population of just over half a million gets the same amount of senators as California with a population of 37 million? Why do you think it was set up that way?

You finished high school, yes?

mjmacky
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Chiming in again, finishing high school or even going to college does not in any way signify some basic intelligence. I question the analytical capabilities of many of the students on campus nowadays. However, to hear that he/she has not finished high school would not come as a surprise.

03-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Yeah, just insult me, and don't even deal with this...

"I believe this "immunity from arrest" is in place so that politicians cannot be kept from making important decisions, or placing votes. If they were not protected, it would not be too difficult for one politician (or group) to have another detained while a close vote was taking place."

Whether you like it or not, there are other points of view in this country, and you can try to shut them up by insulting them, but what does that prove?

devilsadvocate
03-02-2011, 01:46 AM

"I believe this "immunity from arrest" is in place so that politicians cannot be kept from making important decisions, or placing votes. If they were not protected, it would not be too difficult for one politician (or group) to have another detained while a close vote was taking place."

Okay let's run with that. We are talking about arrest here, not immunity from prosecution. Assuming your theory is valid Why would there need to be immunity 15 days before the senate is in session? Why would there need to be immunity at midnight if the lawmaker wasn't actually on his way to "work"? Do you want lawbreakers making laws?

Whether you like it or not, there are other points of view in this country, and you can try to shut them up by insulting them, but what does that prove?

I'm sorry my line of questioning insulted you, but after reading yet another radio/blogger/talking head talking point I had to challenge you on if you actually know why the system is set up the way it is. It's not even high school stuff, it's intermediate or middle school at best.

03-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Okay let's run with that. We are talking about arrest here, not immunity from prosecution. Assuming your theory is valid Why would there need to be immunity 15 days before the senate is in session?

But see, that's the problem. It is in session. And much to my chagrin, they are passing all sorts of stupid laws that don't make any sense, rather than focusing on what they were sent there to do.

Why would there need to be immunity at midnight if the lawmaker wasn't actually on his way to "work"?

That is a good point. This particular senator seems to abusing this provision in the law, but it was put there for a reason. He will eventually have to face charges for this crime, and hopefully, he will lose the next primary election over this scandal.

Do you want lawbreakers making laws?

No. I would say after this, he will have a difficult time getting re-elected. I certainly wouldn't vote for him after this.

I'm sorry my line of questioning insulted you, but after reading yet another radio/blogger/talking head talking point I had to challenge you on if you actually know why the system is set up the way it is. It's not even high school stuff, it's intermediate or middle school at best.

mjmacky
03-04-2011, 10:23 PM
No. I would say after this, he will have a difficult time getting re-elected. I certainly wouldn't vote for him after this.

I guess you don't realize how naive the average voter is, most politicians (increasingly so the more local it is) are elected by fucktards subject to simple ad nausea. I mean, there are people less rational and educated than you casting these votes, many of the things on the ballot being christmas-treed. Rick Scott, whose only real fame is chairing the company that was levied the biggest fraud fine in history (medicare fraud if I remember correctly), and forcefully resigned his CEO position after FBI raids. He goes and spends $80 million of his own money (on the campaign) and essentially buys the Florida governor's mansion for the next 4 years. Fucking morons are casting these ballots (they probably just recognized his name).

03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Isn't it interesting how Arizona gets mentioned in the news so often.

For such a small state in terms of population, we sure get a lot of attention.

Why is that?

devilsadvocate
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Why is that?Because crazy attracts attention?:eyebrows:

mjmacky
03-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Why is that?Because crazy attracts attention?:eyebrows:
What he said
Arizona is the Jersey Shore of U.S. states

clocker
03-11-2011, 11:43 PM

It is interesting that the long-feared Republican bugaboo..."Death Panels", is now a reality and actually being lead by your Republican governor.
All this time they feared it would be lead by "faceless bureaucrats" or, even worse, Barack Obama, and look what happens, the Havasu Harpy turns out to be the Grim Reaper.
I am shocked.

03-15-2011, 03:44 PM

It is interesting that the long-feared Republican bugaboo..."Death Panels", is now a reality and actually being lead by your Republican governor.All this time they feared it would be lead by "faceless bureaucrats" or, even worse, Barack Obama, and look what happens, the Havasu Harpy turns out to be the Grim Reaper.
I am shocked.

Oh? How so?

devilsadvocate
03-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh? How so?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/News/arizona-transplant-deaths/story?id=12559369

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q83Exx8FUg

03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh? How so?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/News/arizona-transplant-deaths/story?id=12559369

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q83Exx8FUg

Did you see how fat that guy was?! He's not going to be alive much longer whether he gets a new lung or not.

These people eat themselves almost to death, and then when they get to the point that they are just about ready to die, they cry out for the rest of us to help them live a few weeks longer. Do you see how stupid that is?

I'm sorry, but that guy should have eaten a carrot or some dark green leafy vegetables like kale or spinach instead of living on a diet of fast food. It's a little bit late now to try to turn that around.

And I know Clocky is going to say that poor people have no access to fresh fruits and vegetables again, but hello?, are there no Safeway grocery stores where these people live? Every town, even Eagar, has grocery stores with fresh fruit and vegetables in them. They make a choice in what they decide to eat, and now they have to suffer the consequences of those decisions.

devilsadvocate
03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Did you see how fat that guy was?! He's not going to be alive much longer whether he gets a new lung or not.

These people eat themselves almost to death, and then when they get to the point that they are just about ready to die, they cry out for the rest of us to help them live a few weeks longer. Do you see how stupid that is?

I'm sorry, but that guy should have eaten a carrot or some dark green leafy vegetables like kale or spinach instead of living on a diet of fast food. It's a little bit late now to try to turn that around.

And I know Clocky is going to say that poor people have no access to fresh fruits and vegetables again, but hello?, are there no Safeway grocery stores where these people live? Every town, even Eagar, has grocery stores with fresh fruit and vegetables in them. They make a choice in what they decide to eat, and now they have to suffer the consequences of those decisions.

So you are for death panels then, glad we sorted that out.

Seeing as that guy needed a LUNG TRANSPLANT how the fuck are you able to say that his weight had anything to do with it? How can you be so sure that he didn't gain weight because he can't exercise because he has A LUNG DISEASE?

Does this guy deserve to die?
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfvdln_valley-man-denied-liver-transplant_news

how about this one?

The first guy is in the last video so look at the second guy 7;10 mark

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/death-panel-invades-arizona/17y05e6bu

How about this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6latAMFxQ64

What were the tea party people saying death panels were?

mjmacky
03-16-2011, 05:07 AM
What were the tea party people saying death panels were?
No one really needs to answer that, I mean it was pretty obvious that your average tea party rabbler was an incoherent idiot with minimal capacity of comprehension. They were simply a bunch of sheep, shouting "baaaah", and were then properly shepherded by the political base most preferred by the dim-witted, the republican party. Americans are largely conditioned to be told who they are and what they want, and when they get upset, you simply distract them to spoon feed some more bullshit.