PDA

View Full Version : Help with btjunkie setup

WentloogWhix
03-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Hi, I'm new to the torrent world, having spent many years using eMule.

I have tried tentatively sharing some files on both BTJunkie.org and TPB, but I'm doing something wrong because BTJ reports my file as having no seeds and bad health for several days.
KFedit : Direct links to torrent removed, not allowed, thx.
and my own uTorrent 2.2 client reports "0 of 12 seeds (7 in swarm)"

I got a smilar reaction on
KFedit : Direct links to torrent removed, not allowed, thx.

It was only after a few people downloaded it that things began to improve. Is this weirdness normal? I'm a newbie :unsure:

bijoy
03-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Now-a-days, tpb don't their own tracker & btjunkie is nothing but torrent indexing site. So, they don't have their own tracker wither. So, your torrents depends upon dht & pex.
That might create initial seeding problem. :unsure:

GreenTea
03-06-2011, 06:27 AM
@WentloogWhix: I've uploaded a couple of torrents on TPB in the last few weeks.
The information in TPB is slow to update.

Also, when seeding, make sure to check "Initial Seeding".
To do this, right-click on torrent, check "Initial Seeding" under "Other Settings".

anon
03-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Now-a-days, tpb don't their own tracker & btjunkie is nothing but torrent indexing site. So, they don't have their own tracker wither. So, your torrents depends upon dht & pex.

However, TPB torrents often have other public trackers' URLs on them, and BTJunkie can easily "scrape" that information.

As for the main question, I don't know, since I never uploaded any torrents there. I wouldn't worry too much about it, anyway...

Also, when seeding, make sure to check "Initial Seeding".
To do this, right-click on torrent, check "Initial Seeding" under "Other Settings".

Do disable that when you no longer are the only seeder.

WentloogWhix
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

If a file is, say, 100MB in size and 102MB is already uploaded, I guess it is still too early to uncheck the "Initial seeding" option?
Are there any guidelines and what would happen if I unchecked it too early or left it on indefinitely?

Just a curious newbie ;-)

anon
03-06-2011, 04:54 PM
If a file is, say, 100MB in size and 102MB is already uploaded, I guess it is still too early to uncheck the "Initial seeding" option?

It's when you're the only seeder that super-seeding should be enabled. After uploading a full copy, it should be turned off. If there's another seeder in the torrent, you can uncheck it now.

Are there any guidelines and what would happen if I unchecked it too early or left it on indefinitely?

Efficiency would be lost. Super-seeding alters aspects of BitTorrent's piece-picking algorithm which make it much more efficient when you're a single seeder, but counterproductive when that's not the case.

Super-seed mode is 'NOT recommended for general use. While it does assist in the wider distribution of rare data, because it limits the selection of pieces a client can downlad, it also limits the ability of those clients to download data for pieces they have already partially retrieved. Therefore, super-seed mode is only recommended for initial seeding servers.