PDA

View Full Version : VIP? Yeah, I heard about it...

get8p
03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey race. I got question that might be useful for lots of us.
Ok, how u might already guess, its about bittorent tracker VIP's.

Requirements for becomig a VIP almost same for every the tracker:
Assigned by Administrators at their discretion to users they feel contribute something special to the site. (Anyone begging for VIP status will be automatically disqualified.)
Huh, cool. HOW should regular member understand that?
"What can I possibly contribute for the site?" - he will ask himself. So did I. Than, what would normal user do if he would be interested? Fcourse, ask staff! So did I.
Im quoting the answer

Well, its easy as pie mate, u just gotta be awesome.
"Huh", - I asked him, "how do I become an awesome man?"
The answer was even more understandable

"Its not about even being awesome, its about they think u are."

Next face expressions will literally show u mine face at the moment I saw the answer - :dabs: , and right after that :pinch: .

Yeah, so there it is, Im asking u guys, either ur a VIP or u just know how to become one, please explain me how can normal user become a VIP?
yeah, and...Ill be keeping this huge secret :shifty:

antrax34130
03-14-2011, 01:49 PM
ass-kissing. True.

Cabalo
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
ass-kissing. True.

+1

And spend a lot of time on the IRC, giggling like a little girl when one of the mods cracks some childish joke or goes on calling someone a jew or a nigger. It's a very popular occupation on IRC.

TONiC
03-14-2011, 02:26 PM
VIP is more often than not easily achieved through donation, found more often or not on sites which don't have a solid community.

However, being VIP on sites which do have a community usually means: helping out in the forums, posting guides, coding for the site, and in general just having your nick recognised in the BT world...

I remember I tried becoming a VIP on TheBox.bz, wrote 3 guides by hand [1 of which got stickied], filled about 20 requests, helped newbs out in the forums... I gave up after I saw a recently joined VIP who's account was less 5 days old. I thought if this f*ck can just walk on here and staff value his contributions more, then cba with this. Never thought twice about it :P

get8p
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
antrax34130,Cabalo
Huh, but how about

(Anyone begging for VIP status will be automatically disqualified.)

Pure lies?

TONiC
THATS EXACTLY MINE SITUATION. I filled requests for moar then 200 GB, wrote a tone of different useful stuff but 4 no use. I can not just ask moder with it and add "So, like...pretty lot work I made, yeah? Being helpful totally like a VIP, I was...yea...Ok...So, d'u have in planes to appoint another VIP?"

Disme
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Ffs ... Why do you want to be a VIP at a tracker?
Because it would make you feel better, important, cool, l33t, etc ... it doesn't, ok.

Just act like a decent member. If you feel like filling requests, donating, being active or helping out in any way you can think of just do it, without asking something in return.
Will save you a lot of disappointment and shattered dreams.

shipwreck
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
iRC and MMORPGs are the biggest time wasters existing. You see your life fly by without even knowing what you actually did in all those weeks, months, even years. It's sad.

get8p
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Ffs ... Why do you want to be a VIP at a tracker?
Because it would make you feel better, important, cool, l33t, etc ... it doesn't, ok.
LOLUVGOTTABEKIDDINGMEY
Ill tell u little secret...
Being a VIP member DOES makes u feel better, important, cool, l33t, etc

Just act like a decent member. If you feel like filling requests, donating, being active or helping out in any way you can think of just do it, without asking something in return.
I already did that.

Sorry mate, but your advice = 0.

EyeCandy
03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
If you need someone to rub your ego, on something that doesn't really matter, in real life...you have self-esteem issues...

Conversation over...

Cabalo
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
But the million dollar question: why are you trying to become VIP at hdbits ?

EyeCandy
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
He already answered, that it
makes u feel better, important, cool, l33t, etc

Hence the...

If you need someone to rub your ego, on something that doesn't really matter, in real life...you have self-esteem issues...

Conversation over...

IdolEyes787
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
LOLUVGOTTABEKIDDINGMEY

I already did that.

It was good advice , the best you are probably going to get and if you weren't such an utter twat you would realize it.

I'm also assuming ,because frankly that's what I do, that you only wish to be VSIP (very self important person) because you think that it will somehow aid you in your quest for even more l33t trackers, which sadly it probably will.

As for other suggestions and I say this in all sincerity Fuck off.

Btw if I've overstepped the boundaries of what is generally considered acceptable behavior here then what can I say but rank ironically has it's privileges. :mellow:

get8p
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Any more suggestions?=)

anon
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
However, being VIP on sites which do have a community usually means: helping out in the forums, posting guides, coding for the site

That's how I got VIP status on one of the trackers I belong to. Helping other users in the forums and finding a bunch of bugs and "sharp edges" on an experimental version of the site. One day I got a PM from the Admin telling me I had been promoted because of my work on the site.

However, I agree with the general consensus here. Becoming a VIP shouldn't be something you aim for in your trackers. If you contribute a lot and get promoted out of the blue (as it was my case), then cool, but otherwise don't bother. Most of the time you don't get but a few perks and that star next to your nick.

Disme
03-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Any more suggestions?=)

Sod off?

IdolEyes787
03-14-2011, 06:05 PM
That wasn't very Christian of you.

A short list of the benefits of being VIP on a bt torrent tracker .

ca_aok
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
The only place I have it that I care about, it was due to bug testing (general), bug fixes (mostly stylesheets), writing tutorials, chipping in in the help forum/channel, uploading, contributing, etc, etc.

Don't waste your time doing something just for the sake of a promotion. If you love the site, do what you can to help out. If you don't, don't bother. The people who are fishing for the status are painfully obvious. VIP on most sites means your own forum, maybe your own IRC channel, and that's about it. The permissions usually match those of the highest regular user class, and in many cases you don't get anything more than a Power User. It shouldn't be something you aim for, and if it happens, you should be flattered.

I have far more respect for people that help for the sake of helping than those that do so for a status or e-peen boost. And you can easily tell them apart. Then again, based on that request thread for E, we know you're definitely interested in e-peen.

Also if Cabalo is right and the site in question is HDBits... LOL. Good luck with that.

shipwreck
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
It's amazing how much of a motivation 'status' is, innit? Even virtual status, what people are willing to do for it always amazes me.

Daniel_30
03-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Three benefits are "not for me" : bragging,valid invites,make fun of others :lol:.

mrnobody
03-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Been "VIP" in couple in couple. Two of them after i stepped down from staff.

One of them came out of nowhere i.e. I had no clue why I got promoted. I didn't know the staff, I didn't donate or do anything. Supposedly it had something to do with being "torrent celebrity" or something like that...whatever it means. I ended up deleting this account shortly after.

The last one came from helping out. Started out as a FLS, several months afterward they lemme have +h on support channel, several months later they let me have +h on main channel...then several after i was promoted to VIP...by this time it had been like ~1.5 years. Came as a surprise to be frankly. And anyone who knows me knows I'm not the kind who just agrees with staff to get favors.

How do you get them? Well it depends. All give out VIPs to those who they think have contributed to the site. A lot of site classify staff of other sites as "VIPs", some give donors "VIPs", others to friends of staff.

BTW, participating (posting, uploading, joining conversation in irc or w/e) to become a VIP, or to gain any stupid rank (power user, elite user, or w/e they are called) is a utter waste of time. don't force yourself to do something what you possibly wouldn't do normally. contribute to a site because you like it not b/c you want something in return. even then don't keep high expectation.

A13
03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Been "VIP" in couple in couple. Two of them after i stepped down from staff.

One of them came out of nowhere i.e. I had no clue why I got promoted. I didn't know the staff, I didn't donate or do anything. Supposedly it had something to do with being "torrent celebrity" or something like that...whatever it means. I ended up deleting this account shortly after.

The last one came from helping out. Started out as a FLS, several months afterward they lemme have +h on support channel, several months later they let me have +h on main channel...then several after i was promoted to VIP...by this time it had been like ~1.5 years. Came as a surprise to be frankly. And anyone who knows me knows I'm not the kind who just agrees with staff to get favors.

How do you get them? Well it depends. All give out VIPs to those who they think have contributed to the site. A lot of site classify staff of other sites as "VIPs", some give donors "VIPs", others to friends of staff.

BTW, participating (posting, uploading, joining conversation in irc or w/e) to become a VIP, or to gain any stupid rank (power user, elite user, or w/e they are called) is a utter waste of time. don't force yourself to do something what you possibly wouldn't do normally. contribute to a site because you like it not b/c you want something in return. even then don't keep high expectation.

Objectively speaking, being a Power User at some sites isn't an "utter waste of time." You gain access to forums that allow you to join other sites through giveaways from site staff. And I think some sites don't disable you after being a Power User or above. So it helps those who're inactive for a long time because of life obligations. I may be wrong on that though.

ca_aok said it right. I'd say just work hard in an altruistic manner, and not worry about getting the rank, and you will get there. Although, I'm saying this with the presumption that whatever site you're dying to be VIP, has insightful staff, and not drama-seeking, attention-whoring teenagers. Those are a pain.

Oh, I don't know if it's mentioned yet, but being staff from other sites, may grant you VIP at some sites too. Just an observation.

get8p
03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Thx guys, but Im already helping with lots of stuff...just seems like no1 noticing me doing it and that kinna makes me sad.
Ps. Hdibits??? Naah, im not even a user of this tracker. non of em either ro or org. I dont like 0days. I like music trackers more <3

Funkin'
03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
"torrent celebrity"

:lol:

A13
03-14-2011, 10:46 PM
You shouldn't be "sad" over something like that in the online world. You'll probably think how dumb you were to think like this 20 years from now.

You should spend that sad energy into mourning the chaos in Libya, or the aftermath in Japan's earthquake. And do something about it.

mrnobody
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM

Objectively speaking, being a Power User at some sites isn't an "utter waste of time." You gain access to forums that allow you to join other sites through giveaways from site staff. And I think some sites don't disable you after being a Power User or above. So it helps those who're inactive for a long time because of life obligations. I may be wrong on that though.

By all means participate and contribute in a site that you've come to like. But don't force yourself to join IRC and idle in IRC just b/c it's a requirement to advance in a userclass.

Oh, I don't know if it's mentioned yet, but being staff from other sites, may grant you VIP at some sites too. Just an observation.

A lot of site classify staff of other sites as "VIPs"

ca_aok
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of users helping out just as much as you are. If staff gave VIP to every single user that contributed anything to a site, there'd be hundreds if not thousands of them on many trackers.

And yeah, I don't equate Torrent Celebs with VIP status. I think it's a good thing the two are separated in many places.

mrnobody
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
"torrent celebrity"

:lol:

that was about the answer i got when i inquired about my promotion. in other news, some sites actually have it as a class, or so i heard of.

mjmacky
03-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I want to be made VIP here at FST, can anyone tell me the secret, and hide the answer so that I can keep that secret. That way not everyone will know how to become VIP here, only me and a few VIP-class people, because surely it won't be public information if it's on the 3rd/4th page possibly hidden with spoiler tags. Oh don't even worry about pming me, this is a serious request, I can't have it getting lost in my inbox. You know my inbox is so busy because I am a big fish in a small pond, so naturally I have to delete all my messages every day before I even check my inbox, which is why there's usually no mail in there k thx :P :) :) :lol:

IdolEyes787
03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
I want to be made VIP here at FST, can anyone tell me the secret, and hide the answer so that I can keep that secret. That way not everyone will know how to become VIP here, only me and a few VIP-class people, because surely it won't be public information if it's on the 3rd/4th page possibly hidden with spoiler tags. Oh don't even worry about pming me, this is a serious request, I can't have it getting lost in my inbox. You know my inbox is so busy because I am a big fish in a small pond, so naturally I have to delete all my messages every day before I even check my inbox, which is why there's usually no mail in there k thx :P :) :) :lol:

If I could grant you VIP status for that one post I would.Sadly though FST is not enlightened enough yet to realize that dividing people into alienating ,different classes based largely on arbitrary reasons so that we can then all get along better is not the just thing to do.:(

ca_aok said it right. I'd say just work hard in an altruistic manner, and not worry about getting the rank, and you will get there.

Am I the only one getting mixed messages here?:unsure:

mjmacky
03-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I would
Coming from you, I already feel VIP; for you could grant it the entire time, it was always in your heart. Click click, there's no place like the internet, click click, there's no place like the internet...

Vorx
03-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Ass kissing, spending your life on IRC and being the staff's bitch, simple as that.

anon
03-15-2011, 02:54 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JLkdStmKIyk/TT1eezrZYAI/AAAAAAAAAXI/_Jo6upED04M/s1600/the-secret-to-trolling-always-and-trollface-troll.jpg

mjmacky
03-15-2011, 05:50 AM
why your graphic has different shades of gray?

anon
03-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Because your monitor is trolling you.

mjmacky
03-15-2011, 06:13 AM
I've been thinking about upgrading to 16 color

bijoy
03-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Requirements for becomig a VIP almost same for every the tracker:
Assigned by Administrators at their discretion to users they feel contribute something special to the site. (Anyone begging for VIP status will be automatically disqualified.)

This is nothing but tbdev's basic rule which comes along vanilla source-code. Most of the tracker coders don't bother to change it to something more realistic.
But who cares to check through rules & faq page?? All that matters is torrent. :P

Because your monitor is trolling you.

nice one.

P.S. your new avatar doesn't have any meaning like previous one :(

Intr4ns1t
03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
LOLUVGOTTABEKIDDINGMEY

I already did that.

I'll tell you a secret, you being an idiot doesn't make the way things works any worse or better than it already is. I'm not generally in the habit of insulting people, but Disme's advice was spot fucking on, and anyone who thinks their is no value in it, MUST, by virtue of logical procession of thinking, an idiot. So, enjoy your booby prize, idiot.

Intr4nsedit: Yes, I know, it sounds almost exactly like Idol's post on page two(which I failed to read before posting) WHat can I say? Great minds think alike? Or something...(perhaps the op is, in fact, just an idiot)

IdolEyes787
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Intr4nsedit: Yes, I know, it sounds almost exactly like Idol's post on page two(which I failed to read before posting) WHat can I say? Great minds think alike? Or something...(perhaps the op is, in fact, just an idiot)

Page 2 is so yesterday anyway .

Btw I think it's obvious that the OP is only looking to become VIP at some music tracker or other in the hope that will aid in his quest to become a member of Exigo.
Presumably then if ever gaining entrance he will think himself infinitely cool for a brief period until ( hopefully) realizing that that is not what the place is ( presumably) all about , soon grow bored or feel out of place ( not enough idiot brethren to mouth breathe with ) and start looking for his next "great" bt accomplishment .
Most non-l33t people on the other hand will have foolishly wasted their time simply downloading music for no better reason that they might actually like the stuff.
Or in the case of Britney Spears songs for reasons unexplained.

bijoy
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM

only members who are there from 'very' begining, are vip. so, it is not practically possible.

EyeCandy
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM

only members who are there from 'very' begining, are vip. so, it is not practically possible.

shut up

ca_aok
03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Btw I think it's obvious that the OP is only looking to become VIP at some music tracker or other in the hope that will aid in his quest to become a member of Exigo.
Pro tip for the OP: I'd take a power user with 100 FLAC uploads over a VIP any day.

Presumably then if ever gaining entrance he will think himself infinitely cool for a brief period until ( hopefully) realizing that that is not what the place is ( presumably) all about , soon grow bored or feel out of place ( not enough idiot brethren to mouth breathe with ) and start looking for his next "great" bt accomplishment .
Most non-l33t people on the other hand will have foolishly wasted their time simply downloading music for no better reason that they might actually like the stuff.
Describes many, unfortunately.

Isn't she on her third or fourth comeback now? I expected you'd be following the tour.

anon
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
P.S. your new avatar doesn't have any meaning like previous one :(

Does it not? I love the Internet!

Haha, totally true as usual. Being a non-l33t user is underrated. :01:

get8p
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
IdolEyes787
Nah, its not about being part of Exigo, Im not interested with that anymore. :whistling

Got ur adivces friends, just be a kissass. Well, thats not what i will to do.

Ur will to close it now.

A
03-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Does it not? I love the Internet!
Who types "www" these days? eeew! What a n00b! yuk! And that is IE6 as well. eeew! What a n00b! yuk! And you watch 24! eeew! what a dweeb! yuk!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/HotCarl_photos/episode_1008_jenkins_south_park.jpg

anon
03-15-2011, 05:21 PM
And that is IE6 as well.

Is it? I only stole the image from Google. :unsure:

And you watch 24!

No, I don't. I however thought that imaginary IP would make a good custom title. :P

IdolEyes787
03-15-2011, 05:35 PM
IdolEyes787
Nah, its not about being part of Exigo, Im not interested with that anymore. :whistling

Got ur adivces friends, just be a kissass. Well, thats not what i will to do.

Ur will to close it now.
U no i notised one of mi used 2 b favorite trackers had a couple nu mods and curious ghey that i m i browsed for those usernames on other trackers and they only showed up on l33t sites.:mellow: iv also done that previously out of curiosity with other ppl i nevr saw any posts from and without variance it was the same thing :mellow:
i figure that they must hang out on irc or something 2 make friends .Either that or rating a lot of asses and wishing strangers hppy birthday cunts for a lot more than i thought it did. :unsure:
Btw i gave miself a headache trying to type think this.

@ca_aok No Britney used 2 rule but iv moved past her on2 Selena Gomez now.:)

bijoy
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM

shut up

did I hurt your feelings? :huh:

ca_aok
03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6148/1300154451929.jpg

IdolEyes787
03-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Best troll evr or else a total mental case .Either way I stand in awe as I could never put that much effort into being either.
Btw is that from a VIP forum and if it is then I should probably make some effort to become one.

A person I mean ,no hope of every being important.

ca_aok
03-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Best troll evr or else a total mental case .Either way I stand in awe as I could never put that much effort into being either.
Btw is that from a VIP forum and if it is then I should probably make some effort to become one.

A person I mean ,no hope of every being important.
Actually I did see it originally posted in a VIP forum, that was completely unintentional though. Irony :lol:

A
03-16-2011, 03:49 AM
A wise choice indeed, my dear Padawan Idoleyes. The choice was wise, indeed.

Is it? I only stole the image from Google.
The navigation bar is onto top of the menu bar. IE has that l33t feature IIRC.

anon
03-16-2011, 04:21 AM

As far as I know, that started being a "default" in IE7. It is however possible to reposition the toolbars in previous versions to make it look like that. Why someone would want to waste screen space like that is beyond me, however. I prefer Opera's compact menubar, specially in my netbook.

A
03-16-2011, 04:32 AM

As far as I know, that started being a "default" in IE7. It is however possible to reposition the toolbars in previous versions to make it look like that. Why someone would want to waste screen space like that is beyond me, however. I prefer Opera's compact menubar, specially in my netbook.

That doesn't change the fact that your avatar shows IE! That alone is a reason to change back to your old avatar :shifty:

mjmacky
03-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm surprised there's not a dinosaur wait symbol

anon
03-16-2011, 05:23 AM
That doesn't change the fact that your avatar shows IE! That alone is a reason to change back to your old avatar :shifty:

Next avatar change is scheduled for 5 months from now. Sorry bro :(

mjmacky
03-16-2011, 05:28 AM

Or a bunch of members can get together and hold an avatar charity for you, where hundreds of participants in a thread design and submit your next avatar, which will be chosen by committee, and presented to you free of charge and already pre-sized to spec

A
03-16-2011, 05:56 AM

The sadness.

Or a bunch of members can get together and hold an avatar charity for you, where hundreds of participants in a thread design and submit your next avatar, which will be chosen by committee, and presented to you free of charge and already pre-sized to spec
Get far from those HD sites mjmacky. Don't you see that it is affecting your reasoning.

mjmacky
03-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Get far from those HD sites mjmacky. Don't you see that it is affecting your reasoning.
I'm currently not active on any HD sites, only one site has the key to my heart and it isn't up and running right now. Also, that post was a little bit inspired by Oleg, not directly, but I was picturing that kind of thread. No doubt my reasoning has been affected.

anon
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
anon-sbi uses IE6

http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=My%20name's%20on%20someone's%20signature

Also, that post was a little bit inspired by Oleg, not directly, but I was picturing that kind of thread. No doubt my reasoning has been affected.

I changed avatars all the time in 2008. I don't know what happened. Avatars have acted like an asshole to me, but they're fine now. Why must avatars be changed?

mjmacky
03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Why must avatars be changed?
Don't ask me, I never change mine. But you have developed a bit of a standard for yourself (I guess over time), and the people seem to be demanding a change to meet it. They are your minions, you must decide what is best for them.

anon
03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
But you have developed a bit of a standard for yourself (I guess over time), and the people seem to be demanding a change to meet it. They are your minions, you must decide what is best for them.

Unrealistic expectations. I'm just a human being :(

On a sidenote, there are places I guess where I haven't changed my avatar in years, so there may be some truth to that.

mjmacky
03-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm just a human being
YOU LIE! Oh sorry, was that an inappropriate outburst?
Robots are always trying to trick us. It's adorable anon that you think you're people.

anon
03-16-2011, 10:41 PM
What did I do wrong? Tell me so that I can update my neural network knowledge database learn from my mistake.

mjmacky
03-17-2011, 07:08 AM
What did I do wrong? Tell me so that I can update my neural network knowledge database learn from my mistake.

Well if someone assumes you are a robot, making a claim of humanity is very suspicious.
It's like when she asks me if it will hurt her a lot, and I try to exclaim, "No you make it sound like it's uncomfortable, it's just normal-sized. Some people just exaggerate." Then immediately she understands that I don't WANT to hurt her with my monster cock, but I'm obviously lying when I try to underplay its size.

It can be surprising how insightful 3rd graders are sometimes.

anon
03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Well if someone assumes you are a robot, making a claim of humanity is very suspicious.
It's like when she asks me if it will hurt her a lot, and I try to exclaim, "No you make it sound like it's uncomfortable, it's just normal-sized. Some people just exaggerate." Then immediately she understands that I don't WANT to hurt her with my monster cock, but I'm obviously lying when I try to underplay its size.

Don't be truthful about monster cock size. Note stored.

mjmacky
03-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't be truthful about monster cock size. Note stored.
Words of wisdom from Jonah Falcon