PDA

View Full Version : What trackers offer - Do you think it's still useful?

KFlint
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
We would like to have your opinion on the usefulness of this list (http://filesharingtalk.com/what-trackers-offer/).

It is currently outdated in many aspects and it would require a lot of work to keep it up to date.

Nobody expressed the interest in maintaining it so far (we didn't really ask tbh) but if a group a people was willing to do it, it could be a good solution.

Thx,
KF

P.S. Votes will be public because I want to see what profile of people find it useful. Can't see otherwise.

atrwz
03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
voted yes

Cabalo
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
It makes no sense to even consider closing such section.
Consider this poll as a simple evaluation of what the users think about it, nothing else.

As Kflint said, he doesn't (or ever) have interest in maintaining the thread, which I have been doing all alone for the past 18 months. Obviously it needs corrections, but I assume everybody knows the tracker's stats won't be updated daily, duh.

So, if anyone wants to step forward and lend us a hand, as I need help from someone who can do something for this board, feel comfortable to do so.

Mokhtar
03-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Is very important, for newbies.
If it not existed, we have all the time newbies ask about trackers in bt section.

anon
03-17-2011, 03:18 PM
I voted yes. I've always thought the WTO table is an amazing resource on FST. All that information on a variety of trackers at a glance, separated by categories, and with quick links to reviews (if available) so that you can know more about every site.

Count me in if you're gathering users to update its data. :)

KFlint
03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
It makes no sense to even consider closing such section.
Consider this poll as a simple evaluation of what the users think about it, nothing else.

I rephrased my first post to avoid confusion.

As Kflint said, he doesn't (or ever) have interest in maintaining the thread, which I have been doing all alone for the past 18 months.

I'm well aware of the job you did maintaining this thread and I'm not against keeping it on, I'm the one who came up with the prototype of this list at first to replace the old WTO and WTAW threads. Point is, it shouldn't be only moderators job to make it up to date, but a collective effort. We already have other tasks to do. If a group of trusted people (not new members, those with a good background here) had interest in maintaining it, it would become a much more interesting tool.

I voted yes. I've always thought the WTO table is an amazing resource on FST. All that information on a variety of trackers at a glance, separated by categories, and with quick links to reviews (if available) so that you can know more about every site.

Count me in if you're gathering users to update its data. :)

We'll keep a list of interested users, thx for offering!

Radon0r
03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't see a use for it and I think newbies would be more confused by it than anything else.

Tokeman
03-17-2011, 05:11 PM
I've found it useful on more the one occasion, so yes, keep it alive if possible.
Not sure that I could do anything to help, as I am only a member of a few of those sites...

Great resource for newbs too.
Also, I don't find it confusing at all, its a list of trackers, click for review, what could be simpler?

KFlint
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Also, I don't find it confusing at all

Neither do I. :huh:

IdolEyes787
03-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't see any names attached to the results. :unsure:
Anyway I voted yes. I still wouldn't know what people were talking about half the time without it as a resource.
Of course it's also a double edged sword because then I wouldn't care what about what I might be missing out on either .:mellow:

bijoy
03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
voted no.
reason: for past 1-2 years, lots of new trackers getting started day by day, and it is practically impossible to list them all with correct & updated data. And for the existing sites, collecting correct data is sometimes not possible. So... after thinking a whwile voted no.

P.S. it is useful for some new users in bt to find the real name(url) of some so called l33t site. :P

mjmacky
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
voted no.
reason: for past 1-2 years, lots of new trackers getting started day by day, and it is practically impossible to list them all with correct & updated data. And for the existing sites, collecting correct data is sometimes not possible. So... after thinking a whwile voted no.

P.S. it is useful for some new users in bt to find the real name(url) of some so called l33t site. :P
Seems like the template of the project has no arguments, but anyone is really only taking issue with the updated accuracy of it. For the same type of argument, you can make complaints about imdb and wikipedia (oh it's alright, but not that useful because it has to be updated all the time).

Anyways, when you're a noob or even slightly seasoned, the WTO can be a great tool for identifying what trackers are available, what they offer, whether they're open for signup, etc. The only thing I question on there is the ranking, I mean how are some of those user experience figures quantified?

ca_aok
03-17-2011, 11:11 PM
The "rarity" column is for mentally challenged members, but aside from that I see its use. Remove that and it might actually be legitimate. Tracker reviews have usefulness, tracker "levels" do not, and merely facilitate morons trading accounts and invites for shit sites that they don't even want to use.

Drinkin, YEAH.

Pwner101
03-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Since your keeping the option either way... I figured I would chime in.

I think if your keeping it you could add a comments section for each site as well.
So even if you dont keep the stats up to date... users could check comments as well to gather their own info about the sites in question.
(Much like users can comment on requests on most trackers)

megabyteme
03-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I voted no, mainly because of its misuse by collectors, traders, and level-seekers. I also question the amount of effort it requires to keep it up-to-date versus the amount of valuable (as in, not those mentioned) use it gets. Beyond that, I am still one who believes trackers who don't want their names, or other details made public should be respected by the community (including FST).

Too much downside for me...

shipwreck
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Keeping it up-to-date and especially being objective about the 'ratings' are the two major problems I see with it. Who will rate the trackers, what are the criteria? And I'm not even talking about the pointless 'rarity' rating, which only concerns traders anyway.

Night0wl
03-18-2011, 12:22 AM
I voted yes, because it's the lesser of two evils.

I still don't get why it's so important to not censor it a little bit. I'm sure 100's of sites love being in it, but some don't.

anon
03-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I voted no, mainly because of its misuse by collectors, traders, and level-seekers.

One could say that, in theory, that'd be addressed by removing the "rarity" column. But I don't think that's going to have any effect - if traders don't get their tracker levels here, they'll do it elsewhere. Therefore, wiping the whole table, and affecting the non-abusers as well, would be overkill in my eyes.

I still don't get why it's so important to not censor it a little bit. I'm sure 100's of sites love being in it, but some don't.

Had something to do with freedom of speech and tracker rules holding no effect here. I'm not saying it's cool to break their rules, but FST should remain neutral in that regard. If someone wants to post information or a review of some site with secrecy bullshit policies, let them do it. The staff can find and ban them on their place, if they desire.

Fishy2
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I’ve used it on occasion to find irc details mainly, but lots of the info is out of date and it does seem to classify according to how hard the tracker is to obtain, not a good thing I think. I also think that despite the argument for free speech and all that, that any trackers privacy ( if privacy is sought) should be courteously respected by FST and other forums, so I would vote no overall and either scrap it or re work it altogether.

LazyGuy
03-18-2011, 10:23 AM
it has been very very useful for me
i would like to see it updated often

IdolEyes787
03-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I also think that despite the argument for free speech and all that, that any trackers privacy ( if privacy is sought) should be respected by FST, so I would vote no overall and either scrap it or re work it altogether

I nice thought except for the fact that the trackers aren't in turn giving a hoot for the videogame/music/film industry's wishes.
Really I agree with you to a certain point about but to attempt to premise your argument on such an inherently hypocritical point .....
Maybe if you changed the wording from respect to courtesy.

Fishy2
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I nice thought except for the fact that the trackers aren't in turn giving a hoot for the videogame/music/film industry's wishes.
Really I agree with you to a certain point about but to attempt to premise your argument on such an inherently hypocritical point .....

Whilst what you say is true (and I wasnt looking to argue the point ), the whole debate on how much damage filesharing does to the videogame/music/film industry's aside, yes it is against the industries wishes. I was thinking more in terms of the risks taken by individuals putting liberty at stake and security generally speaking.

Not “all” of the trackers out there court the hype or publicity in fact many don’t and this can also promote more hype in turn as we all know. Yeh I know they chose to run the risks and all that, I was just expressing my personal opinion, maybe I’m too old skool sometimes :yup:

Agreed and changed the wording :)

deadalive1
03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Keeping it up-to-date and especially being objective about the 'ratings' are the two major problems I see with it. Who will rate the trackers, what are the criteria? And I'm not even talking about the pointless 'rarity' rating, which only concerns traders anyway.
This here is what needs to be answered. If there is no set standard then it is all going to be on the reviewer who may or may not hold grudges against certain trackers/staff etc.

randomusername
03-19-2011, 02:07 AM
World Trade Organization talks have been stalled for several years. I'm not sure the WTO is useful.

megabyteme
03-19-2011, 02:27 AM
I also think that despite the argument for free speech and all that, that any trackers privacy ( if privacy is sought) should be respected by FST, so I would vote no overall and either scrap it or re work it altogether

Regardless, there are two camps- filesharing, and "The Industries". By coming here, and engaging in our activities, we have chosen a side. To do so and then be guilt-ridden, or uncertain is where the hypocrisy lies. Anyone who feels enough guilt, or desires a retail version of the product(s) may do so- no one is stopping them.

Respect is given- not to one's enemies, but to one's friends. Respecting trackers, and general community norms is a necessity for our continues existence. If we are divided amongst ourselves (and we seem to be headed that way as a community), we grow weaker, and are more susceptible to "The Industries" trampling of our current freedoms, and to a greater extent, gaining a strangle-hold on the internet.

I have chosen my camp, and I could not care less about "The Industries", and whether or not my community's norms are hypocritical to them.

senegal
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
i voted "n0".

mjmacky
03-21-2011, 12:11 AM
i voted "n0".
I voted

waffler
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
If any help is needed in keeping it updated, count me in.

Vorx
03-22-2011, 03:09 AM
I would be happy to help rebuilt and fix it. However, i voted no for the simple reason that its outdated, and some trackers which i would love to know about are not even on it.

b3owulf
03-28-2011, 05:08 PM
It should stay. But it also MUST be kept up to date, otherwise it's shit. Voted yes, of course.

P.S. As ca_aok mentioned, "rarity" column is useless and should be removed.

ca_aok
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
The rarity column is shit because it leads to this:
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/431873-NB-why-...

Radon0r
03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
The rarity column is shit because it leads to this:
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/431873-NB-why-...

That's one of the shit columns for sure. I can think of four others--torrents, members, seeders and leechers--that are practically useless and are already part of the ratings (speed, content, etc.) in one way or another.

Monaco
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Most of the people commenting are very knowledgeable about the trackers listed. I think it should be kept for new members, less knowledgeable members and lurkers. Perhaps they will see a reference to an open signup thread or want to know what to look out for, or otherwise use it as a reference to sites. It is useful for whatever information it provides. If someone steps in to update it, all the better.

Just because some folks will use the rarity column to value a tracker invite/account does not mean the column is useless. It may discourage a hopeless request. Further, I don't think that removing that category or the list will snuff out the interest in "levels."

motorsport1989
03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
i vote yes

pastoral
04-02-2011, 03:18 AM
WTO is obsolete. It should be closed. I do not know who created it.

Tv Controls you
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Should it stay?
Any sort of material on a website that attracts even the smallest group of people to the content is worth saving.

So absolutely yes!!!, if people don't like it.... they won't use it...

Should it be updated?

Yea it should be updated, this doesn't need to be done crazily.. But a few times a year updates would be nice.
I know I have referred to it a few times to inform members on a website, and what they have to offer/redirecting them to the WTO thread.

So yes, but it doesn't need to be overkill.

*if anything the rarity column should be removed, but then again people will just refer to another list... lol