PDA

View Full Version : Two fundamental types of trackers

1000possibleclaws
03-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Type One:
- Improvements aim to make the site as efficient as possible so users will have to spend as little time as they have to on the site, all the while trying to provide the best speeds and the content that the user is expecting
-run like a business and decisions are normally made based on practicality, and how they will bring the site to their end goal (activity/money/whatever).
-tracker is central, a community may build itself around the tracker, or may not.

examples: Whatcd, HDBits, FTN, BCG, TorrentBytes, (most 0days), the list goes on..

Type Two:
- Improvements aim to coax the user into spending as much time as possible on the site, all the while trying to provide the best speeds and the content the user is expecting
-hobby sites that are run based on emotion and unrealistic ideals; decisions are made without a clear connection to the endgame plan.
- community is normally centric and stressed

examples: PTN, CE, probably a ton of trackers that have long since closed their doors due to lack of donations or some form of drama.

Made you look :DThere must be a lesson in here somewhere... :unsure:

heiska
03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
The two "fundamental" types of trackers are:
1. public
2. private.

End of thread.

KFlint
03-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Type 3 : Sites loaded with seedboxes that are hard to seed and who want you to pay 2 leech :unsure:

heiska
03-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Type 3 : Sites loaded with seedboxes that are hard to seed and who want you to pay 2 leech :unsure:

That would fall under type 2, my dear.

IdolEyes787
03-20-2011, 12:21 AM
So what's more important in the greater scheme of things,speed or retention?Speed or not having to overly worry about a ratio?
Also for any "mainstream" tracker is initial speed ever really an issue to anyone?:unsure:

Also do sites really try to get people to spend time on them or are they just trying to exploring other options to the norm and some of those options happen to be things that are of interest to the staff?

1000possibleclaws
03-20-2011, 12:37 AM
The two "fundamental" types of trackers are:
1. public
2. private.

End of thread.

Well fuck you for your rude 'end of thread' comment that's preceded by offtopic nonsense. Public trackers go into my 'type one', because afaik they don't reward you for refreshing their pages or browsing their forums. Also, if you're going by what I've specified, having seedboxes has absolutely nothing to do with either type. Troll / moron.

Also do sites really try to get people to spend time on them or are they just trying to exploring other options to the norm and some of those options happen to be things that are of interest to the staff?

I guess its safe to broaden 'Type Two' to include: 'makes changes based on staff preferences, regardless of how they will improve or be detrimental to the userbase'

The obvious point I see in this is that successful sites do not focus on trying to waste users time by rewarding idling on irc, pages refreshes, posting in forums, because those do nothing to affect the core of a successful torrent site, which is its traffic economy. They are all streamlined, and all of those extras mentioned above are entirely optional, usually with little to no benefit besides whatever practicality they offer in of themselves.

ca_aok
03-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Type 1 trackers have obviously been more successful. Type 2 trackers buy into the same problem that surrounds WTAW, the idea that exclusivity and "community" somehow make up for lack of content. It's not totally mutually exclusive (for example HDBits is now exclusive and still has a ton of content) but for the most part, people who go out of their way to make the site as community oriented as possible get a strong core of members loyal to the site, but not much else. And once those core members have donated a few times or uploaded whatever they have, the site pretty much runs dry.

chrisbeebops
03-20-2011, 04:16 AM
You don't need a tracker to have a community. That's why "community tracker" is usually just a buzzword and excuse to make up for a lack of content and activity on the tracker.

bijoy
03-20-2011, 05:47 AM
You don't need a tracker to have a community. That's why "community tracker" is usually just a buzzword and excuse to make up for a lack of content and activity on the tracker.

but traders like those kind of trackers very much.

End of thread.

It's harsh comment towards OP.:O

chrisbeebops
03-20-2011, 05:57 AM
but traders like those kind of trackers very much.
...someone has to.

1000possibleclaws
03-20-2011, 06:15 AM
If you hadn't noticed already, there isn't really two types of sites. 'Type one' could be interchangeable with words such as 'successful' or 'efficient', and type two could be replaced with 'not successful', 'destined to fail', 'using the protocol very inefficiently'.

If you think a successful site belongs in my 'Type Two', I'll just reword the OP until I see fit.

and before this heads into nonsense community rambling,
-FTN has very good pretimes and it may have a good community but its not central. Many users take advantage of the smart uploader filtering and sleek browse page without ever touching 'community'
-HDBits its at its peak right now not because of its exclusiveness, but because it has worked it way up there over the years by being functional and doing what it does best
-UK-T had great 0day times and respectable numbers, its renowned community was hardly a crutch
-CN: well I've never been a member so I can't speak with complete confidence, but I've always had the impression their major decisions and improvements since day 1 have been good ones, despite the questionable PR in the past. I have no idea on the stats, but its probably type one unless I've been grossly mistaken.
-SCT - they had such a great model going, they could get away with inflating their economy with terabytes of purchased upload and the fl packs, all the while keeping their ratio model entirely meaningful. Biggest shame to see them fold, but they were probably soon to enter the legal spotlight with what they had going

There ya go, those are the 'questionable' ones, and they are all definitely in the Type One category.

Di@monds
03-20-2011, 07:02 AM
There are also two type of ppl too
1. ppl who knows
2. ppl who doesnt know
and i dont think we a rocket scientist to guess our OP's type

bijoy
03-20-2011, 01:57 PM
There are also two type of ppl too
1. ppl who knows
2. ppl who doesnt know
and i dont think we a rocket scientist to guess our OP's type

:lol:

(smily reply is always the best)

Cut-Copy-Paste
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Public trackers go into my 'type one', because afaik they don't reward you for refreshing their pages or browsing their forums.

users will have to spend as little time as they have to on the site,

Contradicting ??

And tracker reward users 2 refresh page? Lemme try.. Refreshing Refreshing Refreshing... Still Now reward 2 me :unsure:

I m guessing by browse forum of MAJORITY of tracker u mean licking each other a$$?
Minus Tutorial section (which has 85% CCP content) majority of post include +1 +2...
What r u listing, Rate last movie watched etc in which no one give sh!t about previous poster.

On Any Day For me
hobby sites that are run based on emotion >>>> run like a business :yup:

If you hadn't noticed already, there isn't really two types of sites. 'Type one' could be interchangeable with words such as 'successful' or 'efficient' and type two could be replaced with 'not successful', 'destined to fail'

FIXED

Intr4ns1t
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah, PtN loves you too TSOL. Happy 3rd birthday to us. :)

ca_aok
03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
-CN: well I've never been a member so I can't speak with complete confidence, but I've always had the impression their major decisions and improvements since day 1 have been good ones, despite the questionable PR in the past. I have no idea on the stats, but its probably type one unless I've been grossly mistaken.
Aside from the donation begging they were doing well before the crash. Having to start over again with zero torrents is tough, and they're asking for donations again... idk how much longer it'll last.

IdolEyes787
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Struck a nerve? :eyebrows:

Anyway I guess the thread has more merit than I first thought because it highlights the different reasons that people belong to bt trackers. Some see them as a simple resource ( probably the healthiest approach) while others look at them as being more a hobby.
I wildly fluctuated between the two but on the whole I agree with Cut-Copy-Paste that something that the creators care about ,however successful or unsuccessful , is always going to be "better" ( take that anyway you want) than cold, callus efficiency.
Of course I'm basically content to live without anything but a bit of caring so maybe I'm not the best to judge .

1000possibleclaws
03-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Aside from the donation begging they were doing well before the crash. Having to start over again with zero torrents is tough, and they're asking for donations again... idk how much longer it'll last.

Well then I stand corrected...

I can't remember one staff decision that improved tracker side. Paraphrasing Sgt. Major, 'the onus is entirely on users for not snatching more and fixing the stale activity that leads to slow speeds and non-seeded torrents'.

I will respect/like you but I'm still gonna call it how it is regardless. Three years and the pirate bay is still faster on most releases, minus the minute number of random torrents are still hosted by their uploaders seedboxes. Yes, plodding on sure means anything at all. Yes, community on a tracker that is almost exclusively made up of users who have felt the need to sign up on forums revolving around asskissing and climbing the tracker ladder can be a good one :rolleyes:

IdolEyes787
03-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Sgt. Major is a wank .He used to be a well spoken if insincere level hunting wank, now he's a staff wank but I think the important thing to note is that he's still a wank.

Intr4ns1t
03-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Struck a nerve? :eyebrows:

Don't worry, PtN loves you as well Idol :inlove:

bijoy
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

To be very honest I was expecting your post. :P

Intr4ns1t
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM

To be very honest I was expecting your post. :P

What can I say? I'm so full of love it's just bubbling over. :yup: I love you even bijoy!:wub:

1000possibleclaws
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
When did 1nstr4ns1t trade his FST account to Muri? :O

Intr4ns1t
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
When did 1nstr4ns1t trade his FST account to Muri? :O

:P Nah, I just don't see a reason to argue about it. Whether you believe it or not, I actually agree with you on some things. I don't agree with your estimation that there's been not a single decision that was for the betterment of the tracker side of things, but as someone who is prone to exaggerating for effect, myself, I don't judge. ;)

chrisbeebops
03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Aside from the donation begging they were doing well before the crash. Having to start over again with zero torrents is tough, and they're asking for donations again... idk how much longer it'll last.They were asking for donations even before the site reopened.