PDA

View Full Version : WhatMan Leaves What.CD

n00bz0r
03-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Three years, four months, and twenty days 1 hour and 50 mins ago
...Is a long time on the Internet. In that time, I've watched this site grow from a tiny tbsource site, buckling under the load of a few dozen users. to its current form - a record-breaking Internet juggernaut with over a million torrents. I've been with this site as it's moved country due to copyright threats, thwarted database crashes and hacking attempts, developed two cutting-edge codebases from scratch, hosted thousands of independent releases from artists worldwide, and passsed milestone after milestone, carving its way into BitTorrent fame. It's been one of the greatest experiences of my life, to not just watch this development as a passive observer, but to play a central role in it.

Unfortunately, times change. I've always been willing to give all of my free time to this site, but as of several months ago, free time has become a luxury of the past. The less time I spend here, the less qualified I am to decide the future of the site and lead it in that direction. In these past few months, these duties have been impeccably overtaken by the current management, and I feel entirely comfortable leaving the site in their more than capable hands. It is thus, with great regret, that I have chosen to resign from my long-standing post as sysop of this site.

To all the current and ex-staff: Even though we've occasionally differed in opinion, you guys are some of the nicest and most intelligent people I've ever had the good fortune to meet and work with. I'll miss all of you.

To the users: From the casual downloaders to the hardcore rippers and uploaders, this place is an ecosystem that needs all of you to survive. We couldn't have gotten anywhere without you.

To anyone I've ever insulted, hurt, or ignored (I hope there aren't too many of you): I extend my deepest apologies. I've always tried to maintain a level head, but I'd be lying if I said that the stress, responsibility, conflicting requests from different camps, and huge volume of PMs didn't get to me at times.

I'd love to write more, but this has been hard enough already. If nothing else, I guess, I'd like to be remembered as the badass who coded ocelot.

It's been a hell of a ride, What. I know you'll do fine without me.

--WhatMan

He certainly changed the way we share music.
Much respect for the hard work he put into what.cd, gazelle and ocelot.

Discuss.

1000possibleclaws
03-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Mad respect for what he was able to help create.

ca_aok
03-21-2011, 06:08 AM
I have no words to describe what he's done for music sharing, the bittorrent community, and the site itself. Mad props to him. <3

shipwreck
03-21-2011, 06:21 AM
His work will hopefully continue to live on for ages to come. A great achievement that deserves respect and gratitude.

Long live What, long live bittorrent! :)

A
03-21-2011, 08:25 AM
An innovator who built the worlds largest music archive. Internet Legend. :respect:

roland
03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
So...did he just have a baby, or?....

antrax34130
03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
no whatman = end of what.cd?

waffler
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
One word - respect.

EyeCandy
03-21-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBYuqBgpxt0

bijoy
03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
It's sad to hear that hwatman is leaving what.cd

But it also true that real life have more priority than digital life.
Best of luck to him in his 'real life'. :)

b3owulf
03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
The Man. His name should be put in one row together with anakata, TiAMO and brokep. Much love!

anon
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
no whatman = end of what.cd?

Nope. It clearly states in the first post that the site will continue to operate.

whatcdfan
03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
What was different from all other music sharing portals, their policies, rules and features made them stand out and dictated the success, Credit to Whatman for what he did,
I talked to him once on the IRC, seemed like a nice guy.

FACE_TO_FACE
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
After oink was shuted down what.cd (...and waffles) have make a great job.
Thanks for that.

gamesover
03-23-2011, 12:38 AM
The Man. His name should be put in one row together with anakata, TiAMO and brokep. Much love!

I feel so stupid because I can't remember who any of those three people are.

anon
03-23-2011, 01:08 AM
I feel so stupid because I can't remember who any of those three people are.

Hint: TPB

RayJuniored
03-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Comparing Wheatman to TPB?

Cabalo
03-23-2011, 01:21 AM

Indeed.

*facepalms*

waffler
03-23-2011, 03:45 AM

Indeed.

*facepalms*

+1

shipwreck
03-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Redbeard (original Torrentbits.org sysop) or OiNK would have been better choices.

bijoy
03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Redbeard (original Torrentbits.org sysop) or OiNK would have been better choices.

+1 :yes:

shipwreck
05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
In these past few months, these duties have been impeccably overtaken by the current management, and I feel entirely comfortable leaving the site in their more than capable hands.

Is it really? What seems down more than not these days, especially the tracker itself. :/

No offence meant in the slightest to the staff, but maybe WhatMan is being missed more than he believed.

bijoy
05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
In these past few months, these duties have been impeccably overtaken by the current management, and I feel entirely comfortable leaving the site in their more than capable hands.

Is it really? What seems down more than not these days, especially the tracker itself. :/

No offence meant in the slightest to the staff, but maybe WhatMan is being missed more than he believed.

Why?? Do you have any problem with their site administration?? :unsure:

A
05-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Why?? Can't you read english?? <insert smiley>

Tv Controls you
05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I've had my good deal of fights with whatman, and the whole what staff on FST (as im sure some of you old members are aware of).
I've posted some of the nastiest threads about what.cd on this forum.

In the end, whatman asked me to come to the irc to talk to him, despite my previous actions and talk about my banned account.
Needless to say, he turned out to be one of the most understanding/caring staffers I have ever dealt with.
What.cd is undeniably one of the best, if not the best, online sources to get high quality music.

long live what :-p

*also I know this post is around 3 months late lol*

Tv Controls you
05-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you for your work. good job.

It's funny how all 5 of your posts here at Fst are Literally the same exact phrase.... No variation what so ever.

Thank you for your work. good job. X5

It's a shame he didn't read the other stipulation to get into the bittorrent invite sections.... 15 days of being a member :P

shipwreck
05-08-2011, 10:08 PM
It's the stupid spam bots. May their creator rot in hell.

@ bijoy
See AbyBeats' post.

anon
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
It's the stupid spam bots.

They're a real nuisance...

CleverMan
05-08-2011, 10:57 PM
It's the stupid spam bots. May their creator rot in hell.

+
Anyway, i wonder what the user of that bot hopes to achieve, as no one will see that he's posted identical post in completely different threads

anon
05-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Anyway, i wonder what the user of that bot hopes to achieve, as no one will see that he's posted identical post in completely different threads

I'm inclined to think the bots try to edit their signature to place the spam links there, but fail since new users can't do that in this forum. They however don't fail to post :dabs:

n00bz0r
05-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Try spending a little extra time reading the post you're responding to.
It'd have 2 benefits:
1) You would get trolled less.
2) You won't look like an asshat when you accidentally read your own post(s) after a couple of months.

:ermm:

Disme
05-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Try spending a little extra time reading the post you're responding to.
It'd have 2 benefits:
1) You would get trolled less.
2) You won't look like an asshat when you accidentally read your own post(s) after a couple of months.

:ermm:

Listen to the dawg!!!

ChelseaManiac
05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
hes an awesome dude and done a pretty damn good job in filling the gaping void after oink was shut down