PDA

View Full Version : Democratic: Compulsory voting :huh:

iLOVENZB
03-25-2011, 11:01 AM
In a supposed democratic society it's compulsory to vote. Failure to do so will result in a $50 fine.

Why do parties want votes from individuals who don't want to vote?

clocker
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I can only assume there's a missing link that will explain WTF the above post is all about.

iLOVENZB
03-25-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm#201

clocker
03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Oh, right...Australia.
That would never happen in America, Republicans would never allow it.

03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh, right...Australia.
That would never happen in America, Republicans would never allow it.

Or in some neighborhoods, militant minority groups aligned with the Democratic party would never allow it.

Oh wait, that happened in some of the previous elections.

clocker
03-25-2011, 04:39 PM
"Militant minority groups aligned with the Democratic party"...who might they be, exactly?

03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
"Militant minority groups aligned with the Democratic party"...who might they be, exactly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4dcvIYk9A&feature=related

clocker
03-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Like I didn't see that ridiculous bit of tripe coming.
"Predictability", you haz it.

mjmacky
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4dcvIYk9A&feature=related

If this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU) kept you from voting, then you should voluntarily give up your right to vote. Fucking white people.

Enough of old fodder. Everyone knows intimidation doesn't work, fear mongering does. If the NBP were truly trying to disenfranchise white voters from voting conservative, they'd buddy up with the NRA. Sure, the standard white conservative likes the NRA and says hurray guns. Now imagine a NBP face on the NRA, then those same white peope would say boo guns, and vote for anti-NRA liberals. It's scary how easy that would be. I was originally just making up an example, and it occurs that this would most likely work. Wow, I could get rich disenfranchising voters!

devilsadvocate
03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Or in some neighborhoods, militant minority groups aligned with the Democratic party would never allow it.

Oh wait, that happened in some of the previous elections.
One would think you'd be aware of your own "local" history.

Anti-immigrant activist in 2006 case reportedly had "9mm Glock strapped to his side" at polling place. A November 8, 2006, Austin American-Statesman article reported (from the Nexis database): "In Arizona, Roy Warden, an anti-immigration activist with the Minutemen, and a handful of supporters staked out a Tucson precinct and questioned Hispanic voters at the polls to determine whether they spoke English." The article continued:
Armed with a 9mm Glock automatic strapped to his side, Warden said he planned to photograph Hispanic voters entering polls in an effort to identify illegal immigrants and felons.
Arizona Daily Star: "[A]nti-immigrant activist" "stood by with a firearm in a holster." A November 8, 2006, Arizona Daily Star article reported (from Nexis):
A crew of anti-immigrant activists, meanwhile, visited several South Side polling places in what one poll-watch group called a blatant attempt to intimidate Hispanic voters.
Anti-immigrant crusader Russ Dove circulated an English-only petition, while a cameraman filmed the voters he approached and Roy Warden stood by with a firearm in a holster.
Diego Bernal, a staff attorney with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF), said the trio was trying to intimidate Hispanic voters. "A gun, a camera, a clipboard before you even get to the polls - if that's not voter intimidation, what is?" he asked.
Bernal said his group encountered the men at the Precinct 49 polling place at South 12th Avenue and West Michigan Street and began documenting the scene with their cameras. "There was an interesting period where they were taking pictures of us taking pictures of them."
Tucson Citizen: Incident "reported to the FBI." A November 8, 2006, Tucson Citizen article (from Nexis) reported that Mexican American Legal Defense Fund lawyer Diego Bernal "said he reported the incident to the FBI." The article also reported that Pima County elections director Brad Nelson said: "If intimidation or coercion was going on out there, even though it might have been outside the 75-foot limit, it's something we take very seriously, and we'll be looking into it."
No voters have alleged intimidation stemming from incident

I'm totally against mandatory voting, but I would rather have mandatory voting, as long as there is always a "none of the above" option, than have these voter suppression laws being pushed through in a number of states. I'm all for voted ID verification, but many of these bills are designed to make it harder for certain elements of society to register. Ohio has one going through that says state issued student ID isn't a valid ID. The sponsor of that particular bill was caught on camera saying that students tend to vote liberal, which he feels is a problem.