PDA

View Full Version : Which tracker forum has the most "regular" posters ?

IdolEyes787
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Pointless question but this post got me curious

I dont think we are l33t or even the best tracker for games, but just because we only get 100 in IRC and only 20 talk, or 100 members in the forums and only 10 post regular, doesnt make us crap either.

Any sites that if ever made a point of regularly checking it pretty much the same thing - 10 or so "regulars" despite seeming general apathy determined to try and stave off a complete vacuum ( even in bt apparently "horror vacui") . Any place manage like low double digits ( or .01 % of it's members :unsure:) or something non inclusive of restricted forums ?

Btw by "regulars" I mean people who actually try to communicate and don't just spam post in the "Last HD movie you saw" or " rate that ass " threads.

shipwreck
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
What has a very active forum I used to partitcipate in regularly back in the days. A-HD has a friendly, helpful and mature / intelligent community, too. That's just two examples from the top of my head.

I'm usually not active in tracker forums though, and avoid IRC like a plague for a number of reasons. The 'best' community I experienced over the years was the original Torrentbits.org forums, the original private tracker. Elitetorrents and Oink forums were great, too. Maybe things look rosier than they actually were in retrospect and this is the nostalgic me speaking, or maybe I simply was less cynical when I was younger, I don't know. But Torrentbits forums were great.

IdolEyes787
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
What has a very active forum I used to partitcipate in regularly back in the days. A-HD has a friendly, helpful and mature / intelligent community, too. That's just two examples from the top of my head.

I'm usually not active in tracker forums though, and avoid IRC like a plague for a number of reasons. The 'best' community I experienced over the years was the original Torrentbits.org forums, the original private tracker. Elitetorrents and Oink forums were great, too. Maybe things look rosier than they actually were in retrospect and this is the nostalgic me speaking, or maybe I simply was less cynical when I was younger, I don't know.

No I think if what is evident here is true the face of filesharing is changing .
People use to consider it a privilege ,now it's just a convenience . Like people used to feel obligated to be nice to the bank tellers that they stood face to face with but now not so much so with the ATMs

Cabalo
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Underground-Gamer, no ?

shipwreck
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
No I think if what is evident here is true the face of filesharing is changing .
People use to consider it a privilege ,now it's just a convenience . Like people used to feel obligated to be nice to the bank tellers that they stood face to face with but now not so much so with the ATMs

It's maybe that. Or maybe the initial 'idealism' of the first private tracker days is gone. Back in those days, you simply didn't have this 'elitism' bullshit that P2P has emulated from the traditional scene. There was a certain degree of enthusiasm and friendliness, people were dedicated to the idea of sharing content with others (that's what maintaining a good ratio was all about), the sharing aspect was a lot more important than being 'exclusive' or even completely closed. The first private trackers were actually huge, 100.000 users and more was rather common.

IdolEyes787
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Underground-Gamer, no ?

Maybe. I gave up on the forums there because of the stupid karma system where people are anonymously allowed to penalize you for no reason other than they feel like it .:mellow:

A
04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
HDBits ofc

megabyteme
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
TorrentBytes is still quite active (under the "new" name). They have a number of people who can write and think intelligently. They also do not allow discussion of invites, and do not have an invite system themselves. That takes a lot of the stupidity out of the forums in itself. The staff is also very solid- actually, many of the frequent posters are staff, but don't abuse their power- typically, only people who cross a few reasonable barriers are thrown out.

Monaco
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I think what and waffle have the most diverse forum posters, but that could just be a reflection of their size. Most general private trackers are the same 10 people going off topic. Much like this forum.

shipwreck
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
TorrentBytes is still quite active (under the "new" name). They have a number of people who can write and think intelligently. They also do not allow discussion of invites, and do not have an invite system themselves. That takes a lot of the stupidity out of the forums in itself. The staff is also very solid- actually, many of the frequent posters are staff, but don't abuse their power- typically, only people who cross a few reasonable barriers are thrown out.

Torrentbytes can't be compared to the original Torrentbits. I was actually a member on Torrentbytes at the beginning, right after Torrentbits closed for good. At least back then, things were already quite different.

Can't comment on the current situation though since I haven't been member there for years. They lost the user database once or twice back then, losing all stats. I didn't bother using the account after that.

IdolEyes787
04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I think what and waffle have the most diverse forum posters, but that could just be a reflection of their size. Most general private trackers are the same 10 people going off topic. Much like this forum.

As much as some would like to believe otherwise in a forum there is no such thing as being off-topic . :eyebrows:

EyeCandy
04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I wonder if Skate from Streets of Rage is a family man now...

megabyteme
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Torrentbytes can't be compared to the original Torrentbits. I was actually a member on Torrentbytes at the beginning, right after Torrentbits closed for good. At least back then, things were already quite different.

Can't comment on the current situation though since I haven't been member there for years. They lost the user database once or twice back then, losing all stats. I didn't bother using the account after that.

I was a member on torrentbits, and have stayed current with the "new" site.

EDIT- You quit a site for losing your "stats"? That seems (quite) a bit shallow...

Join date 2005-01-06 20:39:37 (6 years ago)

OlegL
04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't think I was a "regular" forum poster on any tracker; however, the biggest amount of forum posts I ever made was probably on bitmetv, followed by hdbits. Unfortunately, they don't allow me anymore to make forum posts on hdbits, but I still post (actually very rarely now) on bitmetv forums.

IdolEyes787
04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I wonder if Skate from Streets of Rage is a family man now...

Seeing as he's a fictional character 'bout as likely as you not being a virgin I expect.

megabyteme
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Irony is asking for "regular" posters, and getting a response from Oleg... :wacko:

shipwreck
04-06-2011, 08:50 PM

I was a member on torrentbits, and have stayed current with the "new" site.

EDIT- You quit a site for losing your "stats"? That seems (quite) a bit shallow...

Join date 2005-01-06 20:39:37 (6 years ago)

Wasn't "shallow" at all, especially considering how the staff dealt with the situation, and how long it took to build up a decent buffer with that shitty DSL line back then.

Quarterquack
04-06-2011, 11:52 PM
HDBits; it's my second most used tracker forum, and I'm not even anywhere near the top 200 posters.

What.CD/Waffles.fm would be pretty up there by virtue of their massive user database, but a lot of the posts I see/saw were just inane one liners of members trying to make an impression on some fictional peers. :idunno:

IdolEyes787
04-06-2011, 11:56 PM
HDBits; it's my second most used tracker forum, and I'm not even anywhere near the top 200 posters.

What.CD/Waffles.fm would be pretty up there by virtue of their massive user database, but a lot of the posts I see/saw were just inane one liners of members trying to make an impression on some fictional peers. :idunno:

Begs the question "what's your first"?

Quarterquack
04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
SCC, but that's just because most of the ScT "community" moved there, and I still enjoy dicking around with them on the forums.

Although if you count FST as a BT-related forum, and if your question wasn't limited to forums with trackers attached, then I have the most posts here.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2011, 12:08 AM
SCC, but that's just because most of the ScT "community" moved there, and I still enjoy dicking around with them on the forums.

Although if you count FST as a BT-related forum, and if your question wasn't limited to forums with trackers attached, then I have the most posts here.

I think "dicking around" with people whose company you enjoy is the best reason to be active anywhere .
And no I don't count FST as a bt-related forum .
Btw Cinemaggedon ain't bad as forums go ( people post out of interest not trying to prove or gain something) if you overlook the fact that some of the people are truly disturbing .

Quarterquack
04-07-2011, 12:34 AM

I think "dicking around" with people whose company you enjoy is the best reason to be active anywhere .

Miscommunication on my part. I intended to say that SCC is most definitely not what you're looking for, and that the sole reason for my high activity there is because I enjoy their forums, however unfitting they are to the picture you painted at the start of this thread. Not that there should be any ideal or anything, but given the query at hand, SCC definitely does not match the criteria.

By the way, being that you and I are non-believers on the concept of the off-topic, why do you always leave a space before your periods?

Pwner101
04-07-2011, 12:57 AM

I used to be staff on the original back in the day... Have the same notion as you. Lost interest in the site after the first couple of times of having everything being reset. They should keep backups.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2011, 01:54 AM
By the way, being that you and I are non-believers on the concept of the off-topic, why do you always leave a space before your periods?

Learnt that at Eton .

Actually I wasn't aware that I did. Now I'm gonna be all paranoid.:pinch:

Btw I'm not "looking" for anything .Like I said I was merely curious even though I thought I could more or less guess the answers - HDbites ,What probably E if any member slums enough to post on this thread , niche sites.

Anyway I don't except everyone or anyone to post on a tracker because obviously that is not why most people are there but you have to admit it's passing strange that out of the thousands or even tens of thousands of members that some sites have so few show the slightest interest .
Especially considering seems like nowadays people do little aught but post online in one way or another.

megabyteme
04-07-2011, 05:45 AM

I used to be staff on the original back in the day... Have the same notion as you. Lost interest in the site after the first couple of times of having everything being reset. They should keep backups.

The site has now been up and running for 6 years. Judging them for things that (if I understand both of your posts) happened in the first couple years, is quite a bit unfair. I don't really give a squirt about my stats, but I do not remember that sort of thing even happening. It certainly has not been a recent issue.

stoi
04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
we have

50 members with 1000+ posts
420 members with 100+ posts
720 with 50+
2460 10+
9360 1+

300 ish new topics a month
2,900 ish posts per month

not a clue if that is good or crap compared to other trackers though lol

and we dont have any rate the girl next door crap threads, so 99% of those will hopefully be semi serious questions/answers and discussion. we do have a shoutbox on the forums now which a lot of members ask their question in now. (before the shoutbox we used to get 1000 topics per month, 10,000-20,000 posts per month)

YoYoY
04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
we have

50 members with 1000+ posts
420 members with 100+ posts
720 with 50+
2460 10+
9360 1+

300 ish new topics a month
2,900 ish posts per month

not a clue if that is good or crap compared to other trackers though lol

and we dont have any rate the girl next door crap threads, so 99% of those will hopefully be semi serious questions/answers and discussion. we do have a shoutbox on the forums now which a lot of members ask their question in now. (before the shoutbox we used to get 1000 topics per month, 10,000-20,000 posts per month)

Aaah,....I just wanted to say congratulations on your 4000 post. Keep posting ;).

ca_aok
04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Easily What, but it's due mostly to its huge memberbase. It'd be more interesting to know which site has the greatest percentage of "community participants" overall.

Solitude
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
E. Their forum magically keeps smart and opinionated people around and lacks most of (if not all) useless word listings you'd see on virtually any other site. It is not too active, but assuming small userbase it's ok.

antrax34130
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
not really about E

cap87
04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Well, obviously the larger ones will have more regular posters and it's hard to tell a tracker forum that really pops out for 2 reasons: spammers and the ones that only participate to accomplish something like a status (and then turn into lurkers)

But if i had to guess i would say the niche trackers have the most quality regular posters.

Vorx
04-11-2011, 10:07 PM
What.cd certainly.

lol87
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
nordic-t forum

IdolEyes787
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Sort of ironic considering what I was getting at that my thread is now spam fodder .:pinch:

megabyteme
04-13-2011, 05:50 AM
Sort of ironic considering what I was getting at that my thread is now spam fodder .:pinch:

Careful, wiseguy, I've got my spam cannon aimed right at you as we speak... :shifty:

anon
04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Careful, wiseguy, I've got my spam cannon aimed right at you as we speak... :shifty:

Your spam cannon? :smilie4:

My lawyer will be contacting you soon, megabyteme. :snooty:

IdolEyes787
04-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Clearly I am an internet tough guy so I have this to say about that."Bring it on spamboy ".

Btw please for my lunch's continuing presence in my stomach sake , assure me that "spam cannon " wasn't some ghey euphemism for your penis.

Also from your ghey prospective what do you think of this as possibly my new sig ?
k, sent. thx for ur help waffler.
Does it violate the English only rule?

anon
04-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Btw please for my lunch's continuing presence in my stomach sake , assure me that "spam cannon " wasn't some ghey euphemism for your penis.

We have many symbols with the same shape and size floating around here :smilie4:

megabyteme
04-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Clearly I am an internet tough guy so I have this to say about that."Bring it on spamboy ".

We are Gheynonymous, we are legion...

http://thejournalistachronicle.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/scooter.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2728779512_bb2ef7cb67.jpg

http://www.chinasmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/taiwan-gay-pride-parade-2009-06.jpg

http://www.rnw.nl/data/files/images/lead/gay%20pride%202008%20ANP.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/o4/25/630725/1/62601029.pzYgwTuK.SFGayParade64.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Gay_Pride_2006_-_89.jpg

flashback3r
04-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Swebits' forum was the most active forum i've ever seen on a tracker by far. And it wasn't just bullshit topics like "how many toes do you have?" They had serious forums and you could pour your heart out there and get great response.

Damn i miss swebits <3 rip

Lovestoned
04-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I must go with What and Waffles. HDBits isn't too bad.

kingeater
04-15-2011, 06:58 PM
From all the ones I post at, goem is probably the most active of the bunch. The spam threads are there, most topics get derailed, but it is a ball of fun and overmoderation is never an issue (Which is usually my biggest worry with other forums).