PDA

View Full Version : Feralhosting

cibu
04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Hy guys . I just bought a seedbox from Feralhosting ( 500gb hdd , 2tb traffic , 101mb/s upload conection , 1gb/s download conection ) and I am totally new to the world of seedboxes...
Any tips for me ?
Should I change the settings of Rtorrent (upload slots ..etc ) ?
Thanks !

anon
04-12-2011, 10:25 PM
A friend once shared his box with me some time ago. It was from FeralHosting as well, and I tweaked it a bit. I don't remember those settings, but if you show me some screenshots of what ruTorrent lets you change maybe they'll refresh my memory :P

Don't forget to use your box responsibly, BT already has enough seedbox whores out there.

Thelen
04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
don't touch the settings, more is less on a shared box. and it is the same as home utorrent, just 100x speed.

cibu
04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
ummm....I seem to be having some problems . At first my download speed was reaching 40mb/s , now it's kinda low (9mb/s) . And sometimes some torrents apear under the "error" tag ( some have a red arrow and others have a red"x" ) . Why is that ?

anon
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
ummm....I seem to be having some problems . At first my download speed was reaching 40mb/s , now it's kinda low (9mb/s) .

That's perfectly normal on a shared server. If everyone tries to leech and seed a lot of torrents, things will slow down for everyone.

And sometimes some torrents apear under the "error" tag ( some have a red arrow and others have a red"x" ) . Why is that ?

You can click on the torrent and go to the general tab in the lower panel to know. If the error message is "file chunk read error, cannot allocate memory" it means you're running too many torrents, making the box choke. Stop some of them so that the server frees some RAM up.

cibu
04-13-2011, 05:20 PM
It's not shared , I'm the only user of the seedbox . I found out the problem , I was downloading 3 bluray movies and the disks were working slow .

I'm not perfectly happy with the seedbox , but I guess I just need to tweak the settings . I noticed that Deluge is way better than rTorrent btw

anon
04-13-2011, 06:46 PM
It's not shared , I'm the only user of the seedbox .

Oh... then try not to overload it like that :happy:

The file chunk error will of course cause slowdowns as the server can't handle the load.

Thelen
04-14-2011, 01:42 AM
you aren't the only user.... you aren't even the only user on that disk there will be at least 2 others....

you are more likely to make speeds even slower if you mess with the settings, though using deluge for some torrents will be better, rtorrent for others. if you are downloading 3 bluray at once, and getting more than 30MB/s down, you are DEFINITELY getting what you are paying for.

anyway, battle and complain to feral if you want, but let me just stop you there and say you have false expectations..

cibu
04-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Honestly I don't really know what's up with my seedbox , but this last week the speeds totally improved , I actually downloaded an hd torrent ( 17gb) with 30mb/s for 5 minutes .... The speeds seem pretty decent at the moment . I've also managed to buffer up my Tl account without any problems ... So I'm satisfied :lol:

edit// Loooooool I just downloaded a torrent from TL with 74mb/s :lol:
Okay , I can say that Feral is more than just decent :lol:

Ichigo81
05-01-2011, 05:16 PM
You have the Neon-2 which is shared.

I had a Helium-2 basic plan with them before. Was great the first week I had it, was really impressed... until I hit the 1TB limit. They weren't joking when they say they limit your speeds, made it completely useless. I was expecting maybe a 10mbit limit or so, but it was more like 1mbit and it even affected FTP transfers.

Rdysn5
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
I have a similar issue, Ichigo81. I'm currently on a Feral power slot, and it took me less than 2 weeks to hit the 1.5TB upload cap. The speeds are abysmal after you get capped. Since being capped, I rarely upload above 100kb/s on any torrent. That's barely faster than my home connection.

Thelen
05-02-2011, 01:38 AM
LOL.....

You are complaining that a service you know has a limit, is limited? ROFL....

Seriously what do you want.. Gbps speeds for the 1TB, then 999Mbps speeds for the rest??

There is no issue with Feral (or anyone that uses a limit system), the issue is with you expecting something for nothing.

orgzzs
05-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Are the old Neon slots still unlimited upload @ Feral? I'm speaking of those who didn't switch to Neon-2 slots when they came out. The old Neon's are 250 gb vs. 500 gb for Neon-2.

Thelen
05-25-2011, 02:14 AM
Yea they are but you can't buy them any more.

Williem
05-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking about buying slot Argon-2 on Feralhosting. But I have little doubt if it's worth. Does anyone have any experience with this slot?
I've heard more negative than positive responses, so I do not know.
What is a real upload speed of this slot?
I've heard that on 100mbit connection is even 50 people. And it sounds really scary. 100mbit/50 = 2mbit per user. Is this really the average upload speed. Or Not.
And what about the speed via ftp?
If anyone has experience, I will be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

cibu
05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
I've just upgraded to Burst reloaded ( the one with 10gb/s connection ) . I'm curios if it's worth the money ... 50 pounds is a lot :lol:

Williem
05-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I've just upgraded to Burst reloaded ( the one with 10gb/s connection ) . I'm curios if it's worth the money ... 50 pounds is a lot :lol:

It depends where and what you'll download and upload. Especially for those who upload via ovh.net (internal traffic is not counted)

But there is a very low external upload limit per month. Only 3TB that is very little.
Impact slot is much better, 15TB upload limit and upload speed is just great. Minimum upload speed 33Mbps (4MB/s cca), but the real upload speed is much higher.
Absolutely no problem to achieve upload speed even 25MB/s. Download speed 50MB/s and more, no problem.
I use this slot four months and I can only say that this slot is simply amazing.
Unfortunately, it's really a lot of money. But if you have enough money, this is a great choice.

Thelen
05-28-2011, 01:24 AM
10Gbps is what you need to get buffer on SCC and such. Otherwise gbps is fine for any tracker.

cibu
05-28-2011, 11:31 AM
:lol: I use it for TL and Torrent-damage :lol:

tuningman
05-29-2011, 07:33 AM
got a normal feral hosting one, just finding it real shit that it keeps on crashing and that my speeds are really slow on scc :'(

cibu
05-29-2011, 05:16 PM
which one did you buy ?
My last one was neon-2 and I also had problems , it was working slow and stuff ( in the 1st week , after it was okay ) . Try using deluge , it's a bit better

Fibre
05-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Helium-2 is amazing value. Feral for life.

unoriginal
05-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Until you hit the upload cap. Till then they are pretty good assuming you can control your outbound traffic and stay within the limits.