PDA

View Full Version : Bt Question

shoutman
11-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Hey,
sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm new to BT and i was wondering if you you can pause ure download. Coz i'm downloadin a game and i'm not gunna be on the net for 100 hours straight, so is it possible to pause, i'm using burst if that helps.

DVD PIRATE III
11-10-2003, 05:39 AM
yep its possible...Just make sure when u restart the torrent that u direct it to the same place where the file was originally saved

boxofslavery
11-10-2003, 05:43 AM
There's no "pause" button. You have to cancel or X out the download. Then when you "re-download" it, save it over your old file that you were downloading, or save it the exact same way you did the first. Then it should say "checking existing file" and then it will resume where it left off. It won't corrupt or harm the file in any way.

shoutman
11-10-2003, 05:44 AM
ok well let me explain everything,
i'm downloadin a game that i got from a link on this forum and i saved it in My Documents,
so if i want to continue it i just click on the link and save it to My Documents and it should be where it was up to?

Gre1
11-10-2003, 05:48 AM
U better get a better client then slavery because shawdows has a pause button u do not have to cancel

DVD PIRATE III
11-10-2003, 05:52 AM
Doesnt matter even if he does cancel...he can still resume it later

boxofslavery
11-10-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Gre1@10 November 2003 - 05:48
U better get a better client then slavery because shawdows has a pause button u do not have to cancel
Well, I'm using version 3.3 straight from Bram Cohen's official site. Call me crazy, but I think the creator did a good enough job for me. It's got just what I want and need on it so quite frankly IMHO, it is the best version. No bugs or problems whatsoever, and it shows in mb how much uploaded and downloaded...great for seeding.

Besides, how hard is it to resume folks?

boxofslavery
11-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by shoutman@10 November 2003 - 05:44
ok well let me explain everything,
i'm downloadin a game that i got from a link on this forum and i saved it in My Documents,
so if i want to continue it i just click on the link and save it to My Documents and it should be where it was up to?
Yup.

shoutman
11-10-2003, 06:42 AM
but is it possible to get faster than 0.5kb??? coz thats the max i'm getting its gunna takes me years to download this.

DVD PIRATE III
11-10-2003, 06:50 AM
yeah it is mate....Im getting 600k at the moment downloading a movie

alpha
11-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by shoutman@10 November 2003 - 07:42
but is it possible to get faster than 0.5kb??? coz thats the max i'm getting its gunna takes me years to download this.
thats not ur only problem buddy. The thing with this torrent stuff is that its not like kazaa where a file is in someones shared folder and people can automatically upload it, with bittorrent someone has to seed a torrent. so if the people eventually stop seeding it the torrent stops working and ur stuck with as much as u managed to download. And half a file is not better that none :D .

DVD PIRATE III
11-10-2003, 07:02 AM
thats right what the last poster said about BT...
the torrents have a short life, but there more reliable thatn kazaa as its checked constantly for bad pieces downloaded whereis kazaa only checks it once.Hence why theres so many corrupted files on kazaa network(fasttracker)
With bit-torrent you dont get all these falsely named files etc which is a bonus and you can probably say theres no screechy RIAA mp3's

shoutman
11-10-2003, 07:19 AM
yeah well how do i make it faster?

muchspl2
11-10-2003, 08:01 AM
sound's like router/firewall is blocking you
do you, whats the make/model heres a general link, most figer it out from here
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html
and shadows is even better than the original, it has many advance options and blocks people that put bad data into the swarm (BT ++ users)

Gre1
11-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by boxofslavery+10 November 2003 - 01:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (boxofslavery @ 10 November 2003 - 01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gre1@10 November 2003 - 05:48
Well, I&#39;m using version 3.3 straight from Bram Cohen&#39;s official site. Call me crazy, but I think the creator did a good enough job for me. It&#39;s got just what I want and need on it so quite frankly IMHO, it is the best version. No bugs or problems whatsoever, and it shows in mb how much uploaded and downloaded...great for seeding.

Besides, how hard is it to resume folks? [/b][/quote]
Every client has a problem u just haven&#39;t ran into one yet and also the shawdow&#39;s client has been out before 3.3 that&#39;s why noone really uses it because shawdows is better. The best client is the original anytime u get a error it will work, unless the tracker is just down.

boxofslavery
11-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Gre1+10 November 2003 - 15:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gre1 @ 10 November 2003 - 15:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by boxofslavery@10 November 2003 - 01:30
<!--QuoteBegin-Gre1@10 November 2003 - 05:48
Well, I&#39;m using version 3.3 straight from Bram Cohen&#39;s official site. Call me crazy, but I think the creator did a good enough job for me. It&#39;s got just what I want and need on it so quite frankly IMHO, it is the best version. No bugs or problems whatsoever, and it shows in mb how much uploaded and downloaded...great for seeding.

Besides, how hard is it to resume folks?
Every client has a problem u just haven&#39;t ran into one yet and also the shawdow&#39;s client has been out before 3.3 that&#39;s why noone really uses it because shawdows is better. The best client is the original anytime u get a error it will work, unless the tracker is just down. [/b][/quote]
What are you talking about? The first one had quite a few bugs. The most annoying one for me is that it would finish downloading a file so fast, that my comp. would freeze up. Sometimes I&#39;d lose the whole file b/c of that. The only solution was to cancel at 95% and then resume.
I&#39;ve tried Shadow&#39;s. I&#39;m not saying it sucks. It was pretty cool. I didn&#39;t encounter any bugs while using it. I just like the original creator&#39;s latest version better. Just my opinion. Opinions are like assholes: we all have one, and they all stink.

shoutman
11-11-2003, 05:35 AM
hey,
another problem, when i go off da net and coma back on later i loose about 5-6mg of my download. I&#39;m using shadows clinent, is this normal? And does it matter if i get disconnected from the net without pausing the download?

boxofslavery
11-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by shoutman@11 November 2003 - 05:35
hey,
another problem, when i go off da net and coma back on later i loose about 5-6mg of my download. I&#39;m using shadows clinent, is this normal? And does it matter if i get disconnected from the net without pausing the download?
Sometimes I lose a bit of the download too after resuming...no matter which version of bittorent I try.

If you get disconnected, you may lose what you downloaded since you last cancelled or paused. It&#39;s happened to me a few times...not every time, but a few times.