PDA

View Full Version : Are you smarter than a 10th grader?

devilsadvocate
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Here's something I'd watch.

http://minnesotaindependent.com/81476/high-schooler-challenges-bachmann-to-debate-on-u-s-constitution

I think it's a great idea and should be a regular event for all lawmakers, state and federal.

Just the prospect of being shown up might make some of them actually bother to study the subject.

bigboab
05-13-2011, 09:00 PM
It is a good idea but it would not work. Any kid doing this would become a mouthpiece for the opposing parties (at a price).

iLOVENZB
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Michele Bachmann :naughty:.

megabyteme
05-18-2011, 12:34 AM
I hope our elected officials have more important things to do during their day than debate lippy 16 year old kids...

devilsadvocate
05-18-2011, 12:46 AM
I hope our elected officials have more important things to do during their day than debate lippy 16 year old kids...

You do know people with an IQ greater than that of an avocado can walk and chew gum at the same time?

megabyteme
05-18-2011, 04:07 AM
Sorry, I'll get back to you after I finish this yummy gum... :P

My point was, that elected officials should be doing the jobs they are elected to perform- not enter public debates (ala reality television) when requested to do so. If they wanted to be a "reality star" (Palin :ermm: ) , they should simply do so. State Reps and Congress should be above stupid "challenges" and publicity stunts.

What would this law school graduate, elected official have to gain? "Yeah, 16 year-old high school student, I kicked yer ass!!!" :01:

Now, if the point is to ensure basic competencies, I'm all for it. Have a test prior to running. I've had enough RT already, and I don't even watch the crap. Officials should lead, not play games on television.

If the high-schooler wishes to call out the Rep, she should write an editorial challenging the "incorrect" interpretations of the Constitution. This would be far more effective, and realistic than the proposal. This kid has political views- none of which were stated. This is grand standing, not debate.

mjmacky
05-18-2011, 04:52 AM
Sorry, I'll get back to you after I finish this yummy gum... :P

My point was, that elected officials should be doing the jobs they are elected to perform- not enter public debates (ala reality television) when requested to do so. If they wanted to be a "reality star" (Palin :ermm: ) , they should simply do so. State Reps and Congress should be above stupid "challenges" and publicity stunts.

What would this law school graduate, elected official have to gain? "Yeah, 16 year-old high school student, I kicked yer ass!!!" :01:

Now, if the point is to ensure basic competencies, I'm all for it. Have a test prior to running. I've had enough RT already, and I don't even watch the crap. Officials should lead, not play games on television.

If the high-schooler wishes to call out the Rep, she should write an editorial challenging the "incorrect" interpretations of the Constitution. This would be far more effective, and realistic than the proposal. This kid has political views- none of which were stated. This is grand standing, not debate.

But this is assuming that politicking (the type the Bachmann participates in) deserves any more respect than reality television. I say they're both pretty low on the scale. I could only imagine Bachmann would end up being embarrassed, so naturally her camp wouldn't consider this. This does tell you, there's a district in Minnesota where a majority of the voters are at the least half-retarded. Some of Bachmann's shining logic:

Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.

If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level

How unique in all of the world, that one nation that was the resting point from people groups all across the world...It didn't matter the color of their skin, it didn't matter their language, it didn't matter their economic status....Once you got here, we were all the same. Isn't that remarkable?

Yeah I'm sure that one is capable for any type of intelligent debate...

megabyteme
05-18-2011, 05:50 AM
It doesn't appear Bachmann is qualified for the position. I'm all for thinning out the herd before they even get to run. What you guys are looking for is public ridicule. Perhaps I am being too much of an idealist, but I want those is public office to be worthy of the office, and the office to be above Reality Television altogether.

And maybe we are all on the same page wanting those who are not worthy to be publicly ridiculed for their failure. I just don't want spectacle to get in the way of elected officials who are doing their jobs.

devilsadvocate
05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
And maybe we are all on the same page wanting those who are not worthy to be publicly ridiculed for their failure. I just don't want spectacle to get in the way of elected officials who are doing their jobs. When was the last time you attended a high school debate? They are well presented and show a good level of thought and knowledge. You seem to be under the impression that debates between high school student and adult lawmakers would be little more than a farce. I think it would show the best of our younger generation and occasionally highlight the worst of our "leaders". You seem to be under the impression that lawmakers have better things to do with their time, but they spend a large amount of their time attending a whole manner of events that often seem trivial. Many of them also participate in debates.

So far you have accused this teenager of having some kind of political agenda and being "lippy", I take it you know her personally, but what if her agenda was a love of historically correct knowledge and a desire to have reality be the basis upon which we make our cases? What if her agenda was to hold the feet of those running her future inheritance, this country, to the fire?

mjmacky
05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
It doesn't appear Bachmann is qualified for the position. I'm all for thinning out the herd before they even get to run. What you guys are looking for is public ridicule. Perhaps I am being too much of an idealist, but I want those is public office to be worthy of the office, and the office to be above Reality Television altogether.

And maybe we are all on the same page wanting those who are not worthy to be publicly ridiculed for their failure. I just don't want spectacle to get in the way of elected officials who are doing their jobs.

I feel it's open season once you start sticking by batshit crazy remarks that have left your mouth. The more of this woman's time that's occupied with what may be just "trivial" matters, the less disastrous policy making she would be able to contribute. That seems like a waste of time I could get behind.

iLOVENZB
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
So far you have accused this teenager of having some kind of political agenda and being "lippy", I take it you know her personally, but what if her agenda was a love of historically correct knowledge and a desire to have reality be the basis upon which we make our cases? What if her agenda was to hold the feet of those running her future inheritance, this country, to the fire?

What 16 year old are you talking about?

clocker
05-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Michelle Bachmann has but two discernible talents- she is quite adept at fundraising and she's unshakably convinced that stupidity is not an impediment to a career in politics.
That Bachmann's bullshit has been called out by a high school student (bonus point, it's a female high school student!) is cause for slight hope.

Of course, if Bachmann and the conservative right have their way, future students will not be smart enough to recognize the endlessly spouted inaccuracies.

devilsadvocate
05-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Speaking about constitutional "experts" running for president. Looks like Bachmann has a challenger for the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEyKoZ5wK4o

:frusty:

mjmacky
05-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Speaking about constitutional "experts" running for president. Looks like Bachmann has a challenger for the title.

Not only is he reading from the wrong document, the purpose of that document was to form a new government, thus is a predecessor to writing a new constitution. Even further, his quote focuses not on understanding and enforcing, but on making changes, which is contradicting himself all within a minute's timespan. His rant is a logical mess. I can see why Godfather's is king of gas station pizzerias...

I heard Herman Cain's constitution really rails against George III. At least he didn't accidentally use the Articles of Confederation, then it would have been really confusing figuring out what office he was running for.

Snee
05-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.

I've a proposal for one. All I need is a car, a long enough hose, and one Michelle Bachmann.

mjmacky
05-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I've a proposal for one. All I need is a car, a long enough hose, and one Michelle Bachmann.

Please Snee, you're making it look like it was a direct quote from me, and that sullies my chemistry background. So this is my public notice, too much dihydrogen monoxide can kill you!