PDA

View Full Version : which indexing site(s) specialize on flac

bijoy
05-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Can anyone tell me any site that specializes on FLAC?? :unsure:

zot
05-29-2011, 09:03 PM
I think the best method for finding lossless music is to use headers the old-fashioned way; browse groups such as alt.binaries.sounds.lossless and dozens of sub-groups that you won't find indexed on any NZB site/binary search engine. Also, the "regular" music groups contain some lossless posts as well.

Although you can browse the more popular groups in Binsearch.info, there's a lot you'd miss. (And NZB index sites have even less.) In the small 'genre' groups, users even post requests -- and quite often get them filled.

The only thing is, you will need a proper newsreader to use headers, because SABnzbd, Altbinz and other 'NZB-only' clients don't support headers.

Cabalo
05-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Following zot's advice, I'd use newsleecher to search on those groups.
As there are so many releases, it's impossible to keep tracking them, no matter how big the NZB site is. So, manually updating certain groups or using a specific usenet client like I pointed out are the way to go.

Beck38
05-29-2011, 10:17 PM
As far as indexing sites, both Newzbin(2) and NZBMatrix have 'lossless' categories that filter pretty well. I don't do anything but either FLAC or 'pure' CD, these days FLAC is pretty much king.

Disme
05-29-2011, 11:25 PM
For FLAC-purposes BT is still king ... What or Pedro or Exxxx !

Stabber
05-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm part of pedro and e and i must say that the biggest archive of flac is adamsfile

I was finding a lot of trouble to find an album to upload there , which wasn't there already :P

zot
05-30-2011, 12:24 AM
As far as indexing sites, both Newzbin(2) and NZBMatrix have 'lossless' categories that filter pretty well. I don't do anything but either FLAC or 'pure' CD, these days FLAC is pretty much king.

The question is how well are lossless music groups covered by these NZB sites?

For comparison, let's take a look at some specific groups, alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.1980s and alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.beatles : you can find literally hundreds of releases posted in the last 1000 days on each of these groups. But how many of those hundreds does NZB Matrix list? Sadly, you can count them on the fingers of your hand.

For finding rare music on newsgroups, search engines like Binsearch.info are much more complete than human-indexed sites like NZB Matrix and Newzbin(2), since Binsearch lists everything posted to the groups it subscribes to. But in my opinion, using Binsearch is a lot more awkward than using headers - and it doesn't help that a lot of valid posts get classified as spam on Binsearch. Less-popular groups such as alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.1930s are not even carried on Binsearch, and I don't know if Binsearch will respond to requests to include them (as the late Newzleech once did).

One of the rewards of using newsgroups and browsing headers is finding a lot of great music that you never knew even existed. Many newsreaders will even let you sample music and listen to it directly from the newsreader.

Footnote: I've been labeled a "Highwinds hater" for my criticism of that provider's chronically poor completion, but I should say that since a lot of music is posted without par files, any NSP that uses Highwinds is a bad choice. For anyone who expects complete songs, Highwinds requires a secondary block account from another provider and a newsreader that supports fillservers.

Tlegasse
05-30-2011, 03:44 AM
What.cd has an amazing array of lossless content! What.cd FTW!

heiska
05-30-2011, 08:32 AM

The question is how well are lossless music groups covered by these NZB sites?

For comparison, let's take a look at some specific groups, alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.1980s and alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.beatles : you can find literally hundreds of releases posted in the last 1000 days on each of these groups. But how many of those hundreds does NZB Matrix list? Sadly, you can count them on the fingers of your hand.

For finding rare music on newsgroups, search engines like Binsearch.info are much more complete than human-indexed sites like NZB Matrix and Newzbin(2),.

Matrix is auto-indexed.

bijoy
05-30-2011, 08:30 PM
I think the best method for finding lossless music is to use headers the old-fashioned way; browse groups such as alt.binaries.sounds.lossless and dozens of sub-groups that you won't find indexed on any NZB site/binary search engine. Also, the "regular" music groups contain some lossless posts as well.

Although you can browse the more popular groups in Binsearch.info, there's a lot you'd miss. (And NZB index sites have even less.) In the small 'genre' groups, users even post requests -- and quite often get them filled.

The only thing is, you will need a proper newsreader to use headers, because SABnzbd, Altbinz and other 'NZB-only' clients don't support headers.

Following zot's advice, I'd use newsleecher to search on those groups.
As there are so many releases, it's impossible to keep tracking them, no matter how big the NZB site is. So, manually updating certain groups or using a specific usenet client like I pointed out are the way to go.

thank you guys for replying & helping me out. :)

For FLAC-purposes BT is still king ... What or Pedro or Exxxx !

Semi retired from BT. Never been a member of last 2 sites, but I found some 'waffles iron' relases in waffles but their total amount is s low that I can't find any of my favorite albums from there :P

Sorry, but already banned there for having dupe accounts. :huh: And sadly don't have any idea about another account. (till date) :blink:

In nzbmatrix lossless filter is useless. :(

johhny
10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
now scene has flac :happy:

MixLogy
10-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Pedro's is the best

What.cd in music , But pedro's is better in flac ;)