PDA

View Full Version : Treatment of Australian cattle in Indonesia (Halal or animal cruelty?)

iLOVENZB
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
A couple of days ago I saw a segment on 4 Corners about the live cattle trade to Indonesia.

Not sure if international users can watch iView shows but the episode is still on there:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/775504

Here's a news article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/30/3230817.htm

Some of the scenes are pretty horrific. I'm just glad we have OH&S over here sometimes. Cows over there were skinned on the same floor they were killed on. Someone was even smoking while moving a rump on his shoulders. Lot's of bare shirted butchers and kids standing around in the abattoir (no protective clothing, boots etc).

At my old work I was in a discussion about Halal produce. Long and short of the way he explained it to me was; that the animal had to be alive while it's killed but it has to be quick and minimise pain as much as possible. An argument about not using the stun gun was that the animal wasn't technically alive, I'm sure if stun guns were around when the Halal laws came out it would of been implemented.

From a business point of view it's more productive and efficient to use the stun gun instead of fucking around trying to trip the animal and slash at the neck.

The report seemed to focus mainly on Australian cattle and their treatment but seemed to not really care about the treatment about the rest of the cattle being slaughtered in Indonesia.

For the record I'm not a vegan and happened to live on a meat farm for most of my childhood in Australia. The scenes I watched were no where near what would be tolerated here.

IdolEyes787
06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
The horrors that animals are routinely forced to endure in so called humane slaughter houses not to mention in their sad lives up until that point would probably have them all pleading for mercifully having their throats slit if ever given voice.
Besides killing is killing and dead is dead and anyone that thinks it makes an iota of difference in the circumstance is deluding himself.
Although again given a choice as an animal I'd probably ago for old age in my sleep as opposed to eaten alive by some large predator or having my innards sucked out by a spider.
Btw not to mock the situation being a PETA supporter as I am but why no likewise irate posts on lobsters casually being boiled alive?