PDA

View Full Version : What I realized today

OlegL
06-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Today, when I was high, I realized that I needed to grow intellectually and spiritually. I need to start reading books. For example, I need to read novels by William Faulkner because he's considered one of the greatest writers of our time. His prose is hypnotic. I also need to really learn C++, so I could start developing games. I also need to start visiting a synagogue more often because I want to grow spiritually. I need to increase my knowledge about things. I want to understand more. I need knowledge; I crave for knowledge.

megabyteme
06-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Or, you could just get high again, and play more video games...

OlegL
06-27-2011, 05:55 AM
I really need to grow intellectually. Tomorrow I will take out a book from a library and read it because reading exercises a person's brain. Today, a hunger for knowledge awoke in me.

megabyteme
06-27-2011, 06:34 AM
I think you are still a bit high. Don't worry, everyone gets the munchies. It will pass.

Enjoy your video games, though.

mjmacky
06-27-2011, 07:10 AM
I realized, Oleg, that you needed to grow intellectually months ago. Are you saying that all this time you were satisfied with where you were at mentally?

I say no, you didn't just realize a few hours ago, you just happened to remember. Unless you have the talent to achieve this, you're just sort of fucking with yourself, and that's a cruel practice. Finish off the joint and stop watching so much shounen.

megabyteme
06-27-2011, 06:38 PM
If he were actually serious, he would be driven to finish the school work he has been blowing off. Instead, he's getting high, and fantasizing about reading books that have nothing to do with the work he is supposed to be doing.

It is a momentary feeling of under-achievement while smoking pot.

Now, if this had been any other poster here, I would be giving a different story- one involving how amazing it is to have pushed yourself further than anyone expected, or even wanted, you to achieve. It is a different world when you look through educated, knowledgeable eyes. The wonder is largely gone, but you still have a desire, and often the ability, to make things better. To share what you have learned, and help others move forward is a wonderful feeling. Seeing someone else go through the process of learning how to learn is very fulfilling.

However, the last paragraph is not for Oleg. He has stated many, many times that he has no goals in life. What good is it to explain the joys of making oneself better to one who would rather stay in his room, break stuff, send stupid PMs, and bring nothing interesting to discussions?

No, I don't see Oleg suddenly "get it".

kallieb
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
OlegL: Today, when I was high, I realized that I needed to grow intellectually and spiritually.

However enlightenment comes to someone is neither right nor wrong, it's what you do about it that counts. What's the next step?

OlegL
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
OlegL: Today, when I was high, I realized that I needed to grow intellectually and spiritually.

However enlightenment comes to someone is neither right nor wrong, it's what you do about it that counts. What's the next step?

Well, I don't have a library card, so I couldn't take out Faulkner's book from a library. I gotta find something that would be the proof of my address to get a library card. Hopefully, I'll find the proof by tomorrow...

And megabyteme, tell me what people brought something interesting to the discussions that we had on this board.

kallieb
06-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Those are reasons not to get the book - I'm sure there's other ways to read this if you really want to. Be creative. Problem solve. If a problem like this bogs you down so early on, then how will you deal with the next difficulty that comes up. Sorting out life is not a straight line free of obstacles. If it was like that what would we learn: Life's easy and then you die.

If that were the case I highly doubt we'd have evolved as a species, and we just be another mammal swinging from tree to tree.

KFlint
06-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Well, I don't have a library card, so I couldn't take out Faulkner's book from a library.

Have you asked the lady at the counter to make you one? That's how they do it usually, it rarely ends up in your wallet by a divine gesture.

mjmacky
06-28-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm guessing you were pretty high when you went to the library

megabyteme
06-28-2011, 07:36 AM
And megabyteme, tell me what people brought something interesting to the discussions that we had on this board.

Oh, you got me there, you master of the bong library.

mjmacky
06-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Oleg, a library chick is far too experienced and wild, I would not recommend losing your virginity to a library chick. You could end up very injured, possible paralysis.

megabyteme
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Oleg, a library chick is far too experienced and wild, I would not recommend losing your virginity to a library chick. You could end up very injured, possible paralysis.

They may get wild at times, but they are always quiet.

mjmacky
06-28-2011, 08:06 AM

They may get wild at times, but they are always quiet.

Actions speak louder than words, but I don't know if they'll be audible over Oleg's screams

megabyteme
06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
they may get wild at times, but they are always quiet.

actions speak louder than words, but i don't know if they'll be audible over oleg's screams crying.

:p

mjmacky
06-28-2011, 07:22 PM
well who says they have to be mutually exclusive?

clocker
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
You know what I realized today?
This thread does not belong in this section, that's what.

If the Drawing Room is to die, let the passing have some dignity...don't keep it alive to foster pathetic threads like this.

mjmacky
06-29-2011, 12:15 AM

If the Drawing Room is to die, let the passing have some dignity...don't keep it alive to foster pathetic threads like this.

If anyone was killing off the "prestige" of the drawing room, it was 9's, trolling or not. My DR thread on the other hand, was pretty great.

OlegL
06-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Well, it's a serious thread about developing oneself intellectually. As far as I know, one of the ways a person can develop himself is by reading books, but I could be wrong. You could be right if you believe this thread is pathetic; I just don't know what is smart and what is stupid; I have no clue why people sometimes say the things that they say (about me or about someone else); I just don't know... I am underdeveloped; that's a fact.

clocker
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Anodyne plaints about feeling underdeveloped do not a serious thread make.
Or an interesting one, for that matter.

megabyteme
06-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Well, it's a serious thread about developing oneself intellectually. As far as I know, one of the ways a person can develop himself is by reading books, but I could be wrong. You could be right if you believe this thread is pathetic; I just don't know what is smart and what is stupid; I have no clue why people sometimes say the things that they say (about me or about someone else); I just don't know... I am underdeveloped; that's a fact.

Smart people can fly when they jump out of 20-story buildings, Oleg. There is only one true way to tell if you are smart, or not...

mjmacky
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
No, it's the other one MBM, smart people, like non-witches, don't burn when you set them on fire.

megabyteme
06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I always get confused between those two tests. :idunno:

To be doubly sure, he should (try to) set himself on fire, then jump out of the window.

It's the only way he'll know for sure.

mjmacky
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
To be doubly sure, he should (try to) set himself on fire, then jump out of the window.

That would be the correct order in which to do those things, yes

megabyteme
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM

That would be the correct order in which to do those things, yes

Obviously, since you and I have both passed the test. :yup:

mjmacky
06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Lucky for me, I was able to get a stop drop and roll in after jumping off the second floor of a 20 story building. Nobody was the wiser. I think the real test was to undermine the test based on technicalities.

I heard you used hairspray and a swimming pool

megabyteme
06-30-2011, 01:18 AM
I heard you used hairspray and a swimming pool

That was a different story entirely. Let's just leave my sexual exploits out of this, shall we? :shifty:

whatcdfan
06-30-2011, 04:21 AM
I always get confused between those two tests. :idunno:

It's the only way he'll know for sure.

:lol:

This is a good one, MBM

OlegL
07-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Today I finally received a library card and ordered that book that I wanted. They told me to come back after one week to pick it up... But... You know... This won't get me laid...

mjmacky
07-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Today I finally received a library card and ordered that book that I wanted. They told me to come back after one week to pick it up... But... You know... This won't get me laid...

What, making steps not to be an aimless loser? No way is that going to help in getting you laid.

The_Martinator
07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Just one question; Oleg, what do you hope to gain by posting here? Is it attention you're after?

OlegL
07-14-2011, 12:15 PM
What do you mean? This is a serious topic about a serious issue.

The_Martinator
07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
It doesn't seem that way to me. :P

Even if it is, do you really think that the people of FST could help you if they tried? I don't think they (we) can.

PS: I'm not talking about just this thread.

OlegL
07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
If anyone was killing off the "prestige" of the drawing room, it was 9's, trolling or not.

9's was actually pretty cool. I mean, he never attacked anyone... I know that you felt that some of his comments were dumb. He said that McCarthy was right about Communist takeover of American schools, but I don't think that 9's meant it literally. American high schools are indeed bad (or at least NYC high schools are), and Communists are also bad. So, I think he was simply comparing American schools with Communists, and what he said about McCarthy was just a metaphor.

mjmacky
07-23-2011, 11:31 AM
newsflash, I'm a commie sympathizer... also he wasn't right about anything

OlegL
07-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Well, McCarthy was a nut, but 9's is cool... He never attacked anybody on this forum, as far as I know...
Anyway, back to the original topic... I finally took that book by Faulkner out from a library and I skimmed through the first few pages of it... Soon, I will really start reading it.

a7x
07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
What do you mean? This is a serious topic about a serious issue.

Is it? Then i failed to understand the point :(

OlegL
07-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I need to grow spiritually and intellectually; that's the point of this thread.

a7x
07-24-2011, 05:16 PM
So, what the connection with this thread? You not really asking for opinion,dont you?
Pardon me,really not understand.I'll leave then :wacko:

OlegL
07-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I didn't ask for an opinion. I simply stated that I needed to grow intellectually and spiritually and what steps I needed to take to try to achieve my goal. Reading books often helps a person to grow intellectually, so I took out a book from a library.

a7x
07-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Do you have facebook account?

OlegL
07-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes.

a7x
07-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Post there.Get 100 likes. You feel better than here :yup:

CQ1ST
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I just realized, you really do strike me as underdeveloped man, I guess you missed out on the whole bar-mitzvah +higher learning stuff?(yeah I know some Jews) You should really go get drunk with some jewish girls! Get laid man.. seriously, and if you want something, you can do anything you put your mind to

How's the book?

OlegL
08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I just realized, you really do strike me as underdeveloped man, I guess you missed out on the whole bar-mitzvah +higher learning stuff?(yeah I know some Jews) You should really go get drunk with some jewish girls! Get laid man.. seriously, and if you want something, you can do anything you put your mind to

How's the book?

I actually celebrated my Bar Mitzvah in a Jewish camp for teenagers. (It was a few months before I immigrated to the United States)...

And speaking of the book, it's a difficult book to read. I don't usually read books in English. I had to read some books in English when I was in college, but in my spare time I usually read books in Russian. But I don't wanna read "Sanctuary" in the Russian translation.

CQ1ST
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
oh I spelt bar-mitzvah right - sweet"

he's looking good (william faulkner) , I like this poem of his (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240294), and sanctuary looks like a good read, does it have the magic flow? the 'hypnotic prose' you were expecting?

a7x
08-02-2011, 05:25 AM
:slap:

OlegL
08-02-2011, 06:58 AM
oh I spelt bar-mitzvah right - sweet"

he's looking good (william faulkner) , I like this poem of his (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240294), and sanctuary looks like a good read, does it have the magic flow? the 'hypnotic prose' you were expecting?

Well, he's a brilliant narrator. His prose feels more than just prose; it feels like a visual. You can feel it as soon as you start reading his book.

CQ1ST
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Well good on you man, you shouldn't find it hard to grow spiritually and intellectually with such a vast library at your disposal I'd say