PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent On A 56k ?

toonmental
11-11-2003, 10:44 AM
I am sick of kazaa but only have a 56k modem, would this be any good for d/l torrents ? ie suprnova

Triadcool
11-11-2003, 11:09 AM
You would get the same download speeds no matter what client you use. :(

randm01
11-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by toonmental@11 November 2003 - 11:44
I am sick of kazaa but only have a 56k modem, would this be any good for d/l torrents ? ie suprnova
lots of ifs and maybes for this question...
i used dailup and bt for several months and was able to dload several large movie/tv files...the only thing about the dialup problem i found was the pc would not redial after the 5hr cut off my isp had...but....if i ran another program that required the net to be connected(such as kazaa) it would redial for the other program and then bt would auto resume the dload/s fine..only other problem bt has is the ratio for up to down loads...but easily overcome by installing a program like netlimiter..this way you can set your upload speed to a point where it wont stop any dloading..this way at least you do upload some and dload at your max..im sure if you werent able to dload (due to upload taking all bandwidth) you would not use bt and then the small amount of upload you could give wouldnt be available to others..so any amount is better than none to keep the network alive...as with kazaa the network relies on ppl sharing and as with kazaa you will find fast files and slow files depending on the files you want at the time..
give it a try you will at 1st be dissapointed but eventually you will see it works with dialup...well thats how my experience was with bt on dialup..

wienerschnitzel
11-11-2003, 11:16 AM
first of all your in the Questions section under the Kazaa Lite Related category (look up).

now using BT would give you just a slow results as Kazaa would. I would use BT because of the built in error checking that Kazaa doesn't have. I know that using 56k can sometimes mess up your downloads. The only problem with using BT would be that you are uploading while you are downloading. This makes 56 K even slower but if your just gonna download thing overnight then it doesn't really matter.

Gre1
11-11-2003, 02:48 PM
U would probably get slower speeds with BT.

alpha
11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by toonmental@11 November 2003 - 11:44
i've tried netlimiter and it doesnt seem to limit the uploads in bittorrent. I've got shadows bittorrent so maybe that somehow bypasses it?
My advice: with your 56k modem how much dl speed do you get? around 8KB/s max, right? Now the thing with torrents is that they dont last long. So if its a big file youre trying to get, the file could be removed half-way through and you'll be left with nothing. So if ure sick of kazaa try shareaza instead.

toonmental
11-11-2003, 03:25 PM
what is shareaza ? is it diferent to kazaa ?

alpha
11-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by toonmental@11 November 2003 - 16:25
apparently is MUCH better. kazaa has only 1 network whereas shareaza has 3networks. It also lets u get torrents with several advantages, they dont dissappear. See this (theres a link in there for shareaza):
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=80842

Kunal
11-11-2003, 03:40 PM
bittorent sucks on 56k, k-lite is probaly the best for 56kers

CornerPocket
11-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Again doesn't matter what client you use, you use dialup, so regardless of client don't expect high increase in DL's. ;)

Supernatural
11-11-2003, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't exactly say Shareaza is better than K-Lite, but it's a good alternative. It actually connects to 4 networks (there are 2 Gnutella networks). Even the 4 networks combined is measly next to FastTrack.

randm01
11-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by alpha+11 November 2003 - 16:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (alpha @ 11 November 2003 - 16:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-toonmental@11 November 2003 - 11:44
i&#39;ve tried netlimiter and it doesnt seem to limit the uploads in bittorrent. I&#39;ve got shadows bittorrent so maybe that somehow bypasses it?
My advice: with your 56k modem how much dl speed do you get? around 8KB/s max, right? Now the thing with torrents is that they dont last long. So if its a big file youre trying to get, the file could be removed half-way through and you&#39;ll be left with nothing. So if ure sick of kazaa try shareaza instead. [/b][/quote]
netlimiter works fine for me and many other ppl on the bt network...on both xp and 98....also using shadows experimental version...netlimiter will work reguardless of the program your dloading with..set it to 1k and youll notice the max uploads will be under 2k(you may see spikes above 2k from time to time) giving you enuf bandwidth on dialup to dload at around 5k....once again this all depends on the sources you are trying to dload a file from and not every file will dload at full possible speed...shit happens and we step in it all day... :ph34r:

randm01
11-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by alpha+11 November 2003 - 16:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (alpha &#064; 11 November 2003 - 16:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-toonmental@11 November 2003 - 16:25
apparently is MUCH better. kazaa has only 1 network whereas shareaza has 3networks. It also lets u get torrents with several advantages, they dont dissappear. See this (theres a link in there for shareaza):
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=80842 [/b][/quote]
i dont see how shareaza can stop a torrent from becoming unavailable...once a torrent isnt there it just isnt there..no client will prevent it from vanishing..it is up to us as users to keep the file alive..it is not uploaded to a server for us to get but it is shared by us and up to us to keep it shared...yes shareaza may have some special stuff reguarding torrent files but if the user closes the connection once the dload is completed the sharing is gone..so hurry and get the files you want or tomorrow they will be gone...thats the main downfall for bt....not many of us would bother to seed the file once its dloaded..

ps
also if you find a dload wont complete due to no one seeding the file you can use the suprnova forum to request it to be reseeded....

Adster
11-12-2003, 02:18 AM
oki used BT alot when i had 56k and to be honest it sux espically if you have a 4 hr session with your ISP you can&#39;t leave it goin gover night instead you have to babysit it to reconnct again after the drop off. to re click the link to join a peer again.

anohter bad think is becaseu 56k only has about 5k to 6 bandwith i foudn that pl were uploading at about 4k and i was fucked 1k it takes about a week to get a movie 700 meg

alpha
11-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by randm01+11 November 2003 - 22:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (randm01 @ 11 November 2003 - 22:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by alpha@11 November 2003 - 16:30
<!--QuoteBegin-toonmental@11 November 2003 - 16:25
i dont see how shareaza can stop a torrent from becoming unavailable...once a torrent isnt there it just isnt there..no client will prevent it from vanishing..it is up to us as users to keep the file alive..it is not uploaded to a server for us to get but it is shared by us and up to us to keep it shared...yes shareaza may have some special stuff reguarding torrent files but if the user closes the connection once the dload is completed the sharing is gone..so hurry and get the files you want or tomorrow they will be gone...thats the main downfall for bt....not many of us would bother to seed the file once its dloaded..

ps
also if you find a dload wont complete due to no one seeding the file you can use the suprnova forum to request it to be reseeded.... [/b][/quote]
quote from REALITY: "Upon completion a copy of the file is moved to your download directory while the other is left in the Incomplete folder to continue uploading. Not only does the file continue to upload after completion, it also leaves a "sd" file for reseeding the file later, though I have yet to try it. If you don&#39;t believe it then here is a screenshot for you..."
Now u see how it overcomes the problem? you dont have to leave the download open, you could be downloading some other file and the torrent will still be available.
See the link.

toonmental
11-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Ok Ive been useing bt shadow experimental over night to d/l 3 files, all about 600meg. When i checked this morning ive only got between 0.5 and 1.7% of the files complete, is this usual on a 56k. Also how could i speed things up a little.

randm01
11-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by alpha+12 November 2003 - 08:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (alpha @ 12 November 2003 - 08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by randm01@11 November 2003 - 22:55

Originally posted by alpha@11 November 2003 - 16:30
<!--QuoteBegin-toonmental@11 November 2003 - 16:25

ps
also if you find a dload wont complete due to no one seeding the file you can use the suprnova forum to request it to be reseeded....
quote from REALITY: "Upon completion a copy of the file is moved to your download directory while the other is left in the Incomplete folder to continue uploading. Not only does the file continue to upload after completion, it also leaves a "sd" file for reseeding the file later, though I have yet to try it. If you don&#39;t believe it then here is a screenshot for you..."
Now u see how it overcomes the problem? you dont have to leave the download open, you could be downloading some other file and the torrent will still be available.
See the link. [/b][/quote]
no i dont see it...as i say most ppl will stop the finished file...its human nature...as for having a copy of the file(yes 2 complete files)most ppl will delete one of them...and my guess is it would be the one assocciated to the .sd file so no further uploads would be done.imho. :rolleyes:

randm01
11-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by toonmental@12 November 2003 - 08:47
Ok Ive been useing bt shadow experimental over night to d/l 3 files, all about 600meg. When i checked this morning ive only got between 0.5 and 1.7% of the files complete, is this usual on a 56k. Also how could i speed things up a little.
how much was uploaded during that time? this is where bt and dialup(also dsl) has the biggest problem..if the uplaod bandwidth is chocking the dload bandwidth you wont get much dloaded....also the 3 files maybe poorly shared..you need to try other files that have plenty of seeders with fewer leechers....and even then the seeders may also be on dialup which will cause slow dloads..just think kazaa and bt has the same slow/fast moments...its not a perfect world... :o

toonmental
11-12-2003, 07:59 AM
not sure what the upload was, am at work now and cannot check, is shadow defaulted to give you the highest d/l speed ? not sure how to work the bugger

toonmental
11-12-2003, 08:01 AM
oh and theres about ten peers and three or more seeds