PDA

View Full Version : Gilad Shalit released from captivity after more than 5 years

tralalala
10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
http://news.sky.com/home/article/16091086

Many mixed feelings around this deal, what with the likes of Mahmoud Abbas stating to the freed terrorists that they're "sacrifice proved itself worthy".

This same Abbas wants a Palestinian state. How can stating such a phrase, more or less meaning that the suicidal attacks that killed hundreds of men, women, elderly and children, be taken seriously? Doesn't this prove he's a completely two-faced person who can't be trusted, let alone be given a state to run?

I'd like to read what others are thinking of this issue worldwide.

NotLettingItGo
10-18-2011, 04:10 PM
There are lots of problems with this deal.
1) it potentially encourages Hamas and/or other radical Palestinian groups to 'take' other IDF members... seeking a similar deal.
2) it places an enormous amount of value on the life of one Israeli soldier... too much value IMO.
3) it under values the lives of the Palestinian prisoners who have been released.
4) it makes a mockery of the justice served by due process via the Israeli Justice system.
5) it under values the lives of the victims of the due process and hence alienates the loved ones of those victims from the peace process.
... etc, etc...

All around it's a very big leap of faith (read gamble)...

Having said that... there need to be leaps of faith... the only viable long term solution is a two state one, and building that requires trust upon both sides... and trust is something which is built upon small steps which inspire other small steps, until both sides come to trust one another...

I'm not sure this leap of faith (gamble) is going to make any difference though... we've already heard about how the released Palestinian prisoners sacrifices were all worth it and would one day lead to a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital... and that kind of fucks up any building of faith/trust from this exchange (unless the Israelis knew that was what was going to be said beforehand of course)... so potentially the only things to come out of it are the list I started with...

megabyteme
10-18-2011, 06:15 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, there is a 1000+:1 ratio on the exchange. Perhaps someone else should make the deal next time- perhaps a kid with experience trading Pokemon cards, or something...

zigzagon
10-21-2011, 11:35 AM
very idiot deal

bigboab
11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
http://news.sky.com/home/article/16091086

Many mixed feelings around this deal, what with the likes of Mahmoud Abbas stating to the freed terrorists that they're "sacrifice proved itself worthy".

This same Abbas wants a Palestinian state. How can stating such a phrase, more or less meaning that the suicidal attacks that killed hundreds of men, women, elderly and children, be taken seriously? Doesn't this prove he's a completely two-faced person who can't be trusted, let alone be given a state to run?

I'd like to read what others are thinking of this issue worldwide.

Tut tut Rafi! I did not think you would make statements without checking your history. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel? Let me remind you:-

Zionist Terrorist Menachem Begin Murdered 100 Arabs
In Cold Blood at Deir Yassin on April 9, 1948

Surprise: The World Tribunal Never
Prosecuted Begin
Early in the morning of April 9, 1948, commandos of the Irgun (headed by
Menachem Begin) and the Stern Gang attacked Deir (http://www.deiryassin.org/)Yassin (http://www.deiryassin.org/), a village with about 750
Palestinian residents. The village lay outside of the area to be assigned by the
United Nations to the Jewish State; it had a peaceful reputation. But it was
located on high ground in the corridor between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and
according to Plan Dalet, it was to be destroyed and the residents evacuated.

In all over 100 men, women, and children were systematically murdered. Fifty
three orphaned children were literally dumped along the wall of the Old City
where they were found by Miss Hind Husseini and brought behind the American
Colony Hotel to her home which was to become the Dar El-Tifl El-Arabi orphanage.

That is just one of the many terrorist attacks carried out under the command of this man.

That aside, how are you getting on Rafi?:)

tralalala
11-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I'll get down to the Deir Yassin bit in a later post, I'm too tired to get into writing diplomatically :lol:

I'm all ok thanks, almost finished the army, just under 4 months to go. Hard to believe how fast it's gone by. Am planning to go to the UK next summer, visit the family and travel round the Isles for a bit, then back home to work, then eventually study economics and international relations (unless I suddenly find something more interesting to put my efforts in to).

How about you? All ok? :)

j2k4
11-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Not bad here, sonny.

The years go by, don't they?

tralalala
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Indeed they do. Can't wait to be out of the army though, making roughly 200$ a month is getting to me bit by bit. I'm just waiting for the moment I can get back to what I love - coaching tennis.. More money, more freedom, close to home etc.

j2k4
11-12-2011, 02:50 PM
We're keeping an eye on events from here, Rafi.

Best to you, and check in a bit more often, won't you?

tralalala
11-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I shall make my best efforts. Promise ;)