PDA

View Full Version : About Romney's chances to become the Republican nominee

OlegL
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Now that the Iowa caucuses are behind us, what, do you think, are Romney's chances of becoming the Republican nominee? Yes, there is still the New Hampshire primary ahead of us, and the whole bunch of other primaries, but let's start thinking about what Romney can accomplish. I am no Romney's fan, and I want Obama to win the election in the fall, but Romney is more electable than any other potential Republican nominee (in my opinion). The New Hampshire primary is fast approaching. If Romney wins the New Hampshire primary, do you think it's all over for the other Republican candidates? Romney won in Iowa by getting just 8 more votes than his more conservative rival did. Does it mean that the Democrats have to worry because the more electable guy won the causes? (even though he earned his victory by getting just 8 more votes). So, the big question is: Is Romney a threat?

01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Romney is a threat to Obama only if the economy actually gets worse than it is now. Romney is mainstream and wishy-washy, but not scary to most people, unlike most of the other Republican candidates, so he is electable, but only if people see the economy getting worse and they want to change horses.

OlegL
01-21-2012, 03:04 AM
And now they say that Santorum, not Romney, won the Iowa caucuses.
I wonder what will happen if Gingrich defeats Romney in tomorrow's primary in South Carolina.

OlegL
01-22-2012, 12:09 AM
And now Gingrich is the projected winner of that primary.

sandman_1
01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Romney is Wall Street's guy. One of his biggest campaign contributors is Goldman Sachs. Last election, Goldman Sachs was one of the biggest campaign contributors for Obama. They have been saying ad nauseum that Romney is the most electable in the MSM. Let me tell ya something, if you hear something enough times, you start to believe it. It is kind of like a tune, that you may not like at all, played over and over. It sticks with ya and you can't get it out of your head. Personally, anyone that Goldman Sachs supports, has gotta be the wrong guy! And ohh by the way, notice NO ONE, NOT ONE PERSON, has been brought up on charges from that 2008 collapse. Goldman is getting their monies worth out of Obama.

OlegL
01-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Gingrich is a really charismatic and effective speaker; he's a good debater. Romney seems dull in comparison. According to the latest polls, Gingrich is now more likely than Romney to win in the Florida primary. Now it seems very possible that Gingrich will be the eventual nominee. It will be interesting to watch the Romney-Gingrich debate (Paul and Santorum will also be present) today on NBC.

OlegL
01-28-2012, 08:24 AM
And now Romney is again leading in the Florida polls. I like the fact that he and Gingrich are pro-Israeli, and I like the fact that Gingrich wants to move the American embassy from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem. After all, Jerusalem, not Tel Aviv, is the capital of Israel. His idea of creating a colony on the moon is interesting... Santorum believes that Romneycare = Obamacare, and maybe he's right...

zot
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Romney is Wall Street's guy. One of his biggest campaign contributors is Goldman Sachs. Last election, Goldman Sachs was one of the biggest campaign contributors for Obama. They have been saying ad nauseum that Romney is the most electable in the MSM. Let me tell ya something, if you hear something enough times, you start to believe it. It is kind of like a tune, that you may not like at all, played over and over. It sticks with ya and you can't get it out of your head. Personally, anyone that Goldman Sachs supports, has gotta be the wrong guy! And ohh by the way, notice NO ONE, NOT ONE PERSON, has been brought up on charges from that 2008 collapse. Goldman is getting their monies worth out of Obama.

It reminds me of the Democratic party's 2004 nomination process. Howard Dean was the early front-runner, but then the MSM talking heads kept endlessly repeating the "only Kerry can beat Bush" mantra (translation: Don't vote for your choice; vote for who WE TELL YOU to vote for!) and Dean was soon out-maneuvered and pushed off the center stage and out the back door, just as the party brass demanded.

And again history repeats itself. Most Republicans, it seems, don't even like Mitt Romney, but they are going to vote for him anyway because, as we so often hear, Romney has "the best chance of beating Obama" -- and people who vote for Ron Paul are "wasting their vote" ... it's funny how easily people can be led by the nose while thinking it's their own decision.

As for Goldman Sachs and the rest of the international bankers, let's not forget that they virtually own the government. And despite their immense wealth, they always need taxpayer bailouts ... just like in the Savings and Loan collapse in the late 1980s - which should have resulted in a lot of well-connected insiders --Neal Bush for example-- going prison. So of course there were no serious criminal investigations in the 2008 disaster, nor efforts to overhaul, regulate, tax, or police the banking industry -- similar to the reforms undertaken after the 1929 crash. And so the revolving door between the banking industry and government spins faster than ever.

06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Romney is a threat to Obama only if the economy actually gets worse than it is now. Romney is mainstream and wishy-washy, but not scary to most people, unlike most of the other Republican candidates, so he is electable, but only if people see the economy getting worse and they want to change horses.

Hmmm... the economy does seem to be getting worse, so Romney might be able to beat Obama after all.

clocker
06-21-2012, 03:05 AM
And then we'll see just how much worse things can be.
Oh boy.

07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Does anyone notice how the media and dems are saying that Romney is not being transparent now?

Um... hello?

Obama hides behind executive privilege to sweep the worst scandal since Watergate under the rug, and the media looks the other way. Obama hides his college records from public scrutiny when he was a member of various left wing organizations, no one cares. Obama was a member of ACORN, no one cares.

Romney makes some money as a successful businessman, and oh my God! We can't have that! We don't want anyone who knows how to make money from private enterprise! We want a communist to fix our economy!

clocker
07-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Does anyone notice how the media and dems are saying that Romney is not being transparent now?

Um... hello?

Hi.
They are saying that because he isn't being transparent.
I'd be interested in hearing his response if asked whether he took advantage of tax amnesty, for instance.

BTW, what exactly is "the worst scandal since Watergate"?
Please elucidate in your own words.

Darth Sushi
07-17-2012, 01:41 AM

Please don't say Birther conspiracy or dog munching. :whistling

clocker
07-17-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm guessing 9 will say Operation Fast and Furious which will somehow eclipse Bush's Iraq war debacle.
We'll just have to wait for his cut-n-paste to see.

mjmacky
07-17-2012, 08:01 AM
We don't want anyone who knows how to make money from private enterprise!

What we have here is a failure to understand the difference between business and government. I don't need to expand, this conversation has been had before and since 9s refuses to acknowledge any form of intellectual merit, there wouldn't be much of a point to repeat the discussion. I just know that I totally destroyed him with that first line.

07-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Um... hello?

Hi.
They are saying that because he isn't being transparent.
I'd be interested in hearing his response if asked whether he took advantage of tax amnesty, for instance.

Please elucidate in your own words.

No one died in Watergate, but Brian Terry (not to mention the hundreds of Mexicans also killed) is now six feet under because of Fast and Furious, and even after Holder was held in contempt of Congress, for refusing to let us all know the details of their dirty little scheme, Obama stepped in and claimed executive privilege to hide it from public scrutiny.

What is he trying to hide?

Why doesn't he want us to see what he and his administration did?

And here's the bigger question, why is the media sweeping this under the carpet?

clocker
07-18-2012, 04:33 AM
I don't think you have any idea what this whole "F&F" bullshit tempest is all about.
The details of the "dirty little scheme"- which for your edification, is simply a continuance of policies/actions begun under Bush- were all released, not even Darryl Issa denies that.
What was withheld was discussions between the Executive office and the DOJ about the aftermath of the operation.
An identical response to the one that Bush/Cheney gave to inquiries about the formulation of their energy policy.
Sorry kid but you don't get to climb a high horse over something that all Presidents (including your beloved Reagan) have routinely done.

You are aware of course that all this is a result of the Republican/NRA desire to make gun sales as easy as buying Coke: they have refused to allow any legislation that requires background checks and reporting to the ATF...so what do you think is going to happen?
Mexico has tougher gun laws than we do.

Your concern for the Mexican nationals is touching, albeit totally fake.

07-20-2012, 01:53 PM
How did you know I have a horse? :)

Yes, I am aware that Fast and Furious was an ill conceived plan to chip away at the 2nd Amendment.

Mexico has a lot of tougher laws than we do. Including immigration laws. We could learn a lot from them.

Speaking of Reagan, what would the Duke do in this instance? Would he lie and try to cover it up and hide behind executive privilege? I don't think so.

If the most transparent administration in all time has nothing to hide about Fast and Furious, why was Holder held in contempt of Congress for refusing to provide the information requested? Why would Obama resort to executive privilege when he earlier claimed to know nothing about it? Why is he hiding behind executive privilege? What does he not want us to know? What is he ashamed of?

I am sure he doesn't want the voters to know what his administration has been up to, and so it is understandable. But the bigger question is why isn't the media jumping all over this? If this was Bush's fucked up mistake, the media would be all over it, and giddy about asking him uncomfortable questions about it every chance they got. They wouldn't let this die down and then sweep it under the carpet.

Brian Terry is rotting in the ground. His family wants answers. Don't they deserve to know all the details which led to his death?

And don't the voters and the taxpayers deserve to know?

clocker
07-20-2012, 04:23 PM
How did you know I have a horse?
It seemed inevitable.

After all your exhaustive research into the subject, what is it specifically you'd like explained?
You keep hinting at all these nefarious and murky plans based on hidden info that you seem certain exists, so precisely what do you expect to find if you got what you ask for?

As for Reagan, two words...Iran Contra.

07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
How did you know I have a horse?
It seemed inevitable.

Thanks Clocky! This made me laugh!

You are definitely one of the funniest posters on here, and I do appreciate your humor.

bigboab
07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Why did 69 send Romney over here to the U.K? He is complaining and questioning the security set up for the Olympic Games. Border controls should have refused him entry into the U.K.

Actually I feel sorry for him as I believe he is dyslexic. He read somewhere that any moron could become republican President of the U.S.A. He read moron as Mormon.:lol:

megabyteme
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I believe I've officially made the transition. In the distant past, I was very conservative. As a made my way through school, those damn liberals invaded my very soul. Even then, I stuck to my conservative roots when voting. Now, I can't see myself supporting anyone on the right. All of the banking scandals, the housing bust, BIG money going to the rich has made me sick. I still don't trust anyone on the left (at least the sky has not fallen under Obama's watch), but I can't bring myself to support BIG money/corporate interests of the right.

:sick::frusty::angry:

Oh, and I can't stand the look/sound/pompousness of Romney. I want to see him lose as much as I did John Kerry.

clocker
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I think the current Romney/Reid tax standoff is hilarious.
How inept is Romney's team not to have foreseen the problem in trying to hide his enormous wealth and the strategies he's used to to protect it?
As long as Romney refuses to release his tax records for the past several years, Reid and the Democrats are free to speculate about what he's "hiding" and they can be as wild and insulting as possible till Mitt caves in.
Which inevitably, he will and then you can be certain that the records will be exhaustively picked over for even more dirt.

This election is shaping up to be the most naked expression of the what the far right has been working towards for decades.
They have finally found the perfect plutocrat to front the party, a spineless blank slate with no fixed values (pick any subject and Mitt has been on both sides at some point), a man who doesn't even pretend to care about anyone save his peers. The Romney budget will lower taxes on the rich and raise them for everyone else...and he DOESN'T EVEN BOTHER DENYING IT.

Mitt Romney is a man shaped middle finger, raised by the Kock brothers and Karl Rove and waved in the face of America.
He is "Fuck You!" made flesh and running for President.

Ck1
07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Hello clocker remember me still nikkid c2k jp paul vb aroumd

Snee
07-24-2013, 04:23 PM
clocker hasn't posted for a while.

nikkid dropped in to say hi a couple of months ago, maybe. Otherwise she's not been around much since maybe 2006. Not since Jonno moved in with her, basically. I'm not sure who c2k is meant to be, if it's j2 he's not been around for a while either. JP showed up a couple of months ago, after a long absence, but otherwise seems to have quit the board. All of the other pauls (also pol) and both vbs have been gone for a long long time.

cokebottles
09-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I think Mitt's chances of becoming president are over, sadly he's the best rep candidate there has been in a long time

Vestibule
09-18-2013, 08:46 PM
:blink:
seriously...
go to the library, get a few self help books and after reading the life affirmations, stand in front of the mirror and repeat them to yourself out loud... and count yourself lucky you didn't have 4 years of Mitt Fuckmey!

slawko
10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
he will save us from the insanity