PDA

View Full Version : What's More Exhilirating, Exciting And Tense?

Vamp
11-15-2003, 03:41 PM
I think that the main purpose of games is to act as an interactive movie. The game which comes the closest to capturing all the great qualities of a film is Metal Gear Solid 2, in my opinion. But even that can't compare with action films such as The Matrix, Bad Boys 2, Hard-Boiled etc.

Movies can offer so much more the games, and keep you really engrossed. A movie that captures the horror of the Silent Hill series would be utterly amazing and 100X more horrific then a game.

I also think there's a lot of technology that can be made for movies that can improve the experience even more. However I can't think of any features for games that raises them above the exhiliration of a good movie.

What do you think is better?

What are you? A Gamer, A Movie Lover or an Entertainment Junkie (Dedicated to both) :D

I'd say I'm an EJ, I have Xbox, PS2 and DC, love games and have an amazing setup for watching movies. However I think I enjoy movies more then games, I have a great knowledge of film and see around 106 films on cinema a year.

Mr AnDy D
11-15-2003, 03:52 PM
playing online competition Age of Empires II: The Conquerors 4v4 arabia

Vamp
11-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Well, thats like what's better? Sports or Multiplayer Gaming?

Lets talk about Single Player Games - Vs - Movies

Anyone want to list the pros and cons of both?

Peerzy
11-15-2003, 08:35 PM
i'll do this just for you vamp:

MOVEIS U CAN GET BORED OF B/C ONC3 U HAEV SEN TH3M U KNOW TEH ENDNG BUT WIT GMAS LIEK MAX PAYN3 2 U CAN HAEV DIF3R3NT ENDNGS1!!1!1! OMG WTF ALSO MOVEIS R JUST MOVEIS U CANT CHANG3 THAM THEY R WT AER BUT GMES LIEK GTAVC U CAN DO WUT U WANT AND JUST ABOUT ANYTHNG1!11!1!!

hope that helps.

OmniZero123
11-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Mr AnDy D@15 November 2003 - 15:52
[QUOTE]

do u spealize in dm or rm? if its dm ill get some buds u get some buds we kick the shit out of each other...sound good to you? whats ur zone name?
im I3OI2N_Leader_

id be the gaming guru..give me a week ill master any game

Vamp
11-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by OmniZero123+16 November 2003 - 08:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OmniZero123 @ 16 November 2003 - 08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr AnDy D@15 November 2003 - 15:52

do u spealize in dm or rm? if its dm ill get some buds u get some buds we kick the shit out of each other...sound good to you? whats ur zone name?
im I3OI2N_Leader_

id be the gaming guru..give me a week ill master any game [/b]
Yeah, but think about it... No game can be as exciting as watching a hardcore action film, predetermined or not... It&#39;s just so much more exciting&#33;

And Omni, you should check out my one friend, give him a game, and his thumbs will adapt in a few minutes and he&#39;ll totally master it... I&#39;ve seen him finish Metal Gear Solid 2 in an hour and 43 minutes, skipping all the cutscenes and speech etc...

He doesn&#39;t even need a manual&#33;

Cheese
11-16-2003, 03:32 PM
This question smells familiar :P

Anyhow I like a good story (which is why I read a lot) so I&#39;d have to go with movies on this one. Ultimately a movie is much more rewarding for me than any computer game. The games I do play reflect this as well as I only really play RPGs or games with a solid story like Resident Evil.

@capslockboy (aka peerzyboy) But will you still be playing Max Payne 2 in five years time? Games date very quickly an very badly...but a good film is still watchable years and years after it came out. I won&#39;t give any examples as film tastes are very personal but I bet there are a few films from the nineties that you still rate...or maybe not? :P

Peerzy
11-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@16 November 2003 - 15:32

Anyhow I like a good story (which is why I read a lot) so I&#39;d have to go with movies on this one.&nbsp; Ultimately a movie is much more rewarding for me than any computer game.&nbsp; The games I do play reflect this as well as I only really play RPGs or games with a solid story like Resident Evil.

@capslockboy (aka peerzyboy)&nbsp; But will you still be playing Max Payne 2 in five years time?&nbsp; Games date very quickly an very badly...but a good film is still watchable years and years after it came out.&nbsp; I won&#39;t give any examples as film tastes are very personal but I bet there are a few films from the nineties that you still rate...or maybe not? :P
@didnt-read-vamps-last-topic-so-wodnt-get-y-in-caps (aka withcheese) i still play starcraft and warcraft1, i still play half life, i still play driver. i sztill watch pulp fiction, i still watch kill bill. my point being movies can get old they are what they are. starcraft i can do what i want i can choose what i do. movies u choose to watch them and thats it.

i play gta3 and i can decied to do a job, a rampage or just kill ppl and run from the cops. i decied to watch pulp fiction, i watch it i ahv no more choice i watch and thats it.

Cheese
11-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+16 November 2003 - 15:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 16 November 2003 - 15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@16 November 2003 - 15:32

Anyhow I like a good story (which is why I read a lot) so I&#39;d have to go with movies on this one. Ultimately a movie is much more rewarding for me than any computer game. The games I do play reflect this as well as I only really play RPGs or games with a solid story like Resident Evil.

@capslockboy (aka peerzyboy) But will you still be playing Max Payne 2 in five years time? Games date very quickly an very badly...but a good film is still watchable years and years after it came out. I won&#39;t give any examples as film tastes are very personal but I bet there are a few films from the nineties that you still rate...or maybe not? :P
@didnt-read-vamps-last-topic-so-wodnt-get-y-in-caps (aka withcheese) i still play starcraft and warcraft1, i still play half life, i still play driver. i sztill watch pulp fiction, i still watch kill bill. my point being movies can get old they are what they are. starcraft i can do what i want i can choose what i do. movies u choose to watch them and thats it.

i play gta3 and i can decied to do a job, a rampage or just kill ppl and run from the cops. i decied to watch pulp fiction, i watch it i ahv no more choice i watch and thats it. [/b][/quote]
Well I suppose it all comes down to personal preference in the end, as I said I like a good story and each time I see a film I can enjoy it on a different level. A well done gone (like for instance GTA:VC) can almost rival a film but not for me. I can fully understand where you&#39;re coming from, but I still think games date a lot faster than films. Pulp Fiction came out in 1994, almost 9 years ago, are you still playing games that old?

I-did-read-vamps-topic-and-thought-it-was-quite-funny-then-forgot-about-it-so-I&#39;ll-give-you-that-one(aka Withcheese)

Cheers.

ps What made GTA:VC such a good game for me is the way it blended the interactive action with the movie-style script. Way of the future, perhaps?

abu_has_the_power
11-16-2003, 07:04 PM
movies make u relax, even the tense horror/action. games, ur tense no matter if u want to be or not. ur the dude surrounded be a hoard of dead people. but when u watch a movie, u can laugh ur head off at the guy on the screen getting raped by dead people. in games, u r the guy getting raped. not so fun. but games are great to get hyped. movies are 4 relaxation

Peerzy
11-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+16 November 2003 - 18:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 16 November 2003 - 18:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by peerzyboy@16 November 2003 - 15:38
<!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@16 November 2003 - 15:32

i play gta3 and i can decied to do a job, a rampage or just kill ppl and run from the cops. i decied to watch pulp fiction, i watch it i ahv no more choice i watch and thats it.
Well I suppose it all comes down to personal preference in the end, as I said I like a good story and each time I see a film I can enjoy it on a different level. A well done gone (like for instance GTA:VC) can almost rival a film but not for me. I can fully understand where you&#39;re coming from, but I still think games date a lot faster than films. Pulp Fiction came out in 1994, almost 9 years ago, are you still playing games that old?

I-did-read-vamps-topic-and-thought-it-was-quite-funny-then-forgot-about-it-so-I&#39;ll-give-you-that-one(aka Withcheese)

Cheers.

ps What made GTA:VC such a good game for me is the way it blended the interactive action with the movie-style script. Way of the future, perhaps? [/b][/quote]
true pulp fiction did come out in &#39;94 and is one of the best movies ever made BUT doom came out in &#39;92 (i think) and once they made the noahs ark mod(changes it all to noahs ark)i couldnt put that beast down. when was i playing noahs ark mod last 45mins ago. when did i last watch pulp fiction? 3 days ago, when will i next play doom? after this post, (damm those birds) when will i next watch pulp fiction? about 6-7days time&#33;

3RA1N1AC
11-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@15 November 2003 - 07:41
I think that the main purpose of games is to act as an interactive movie.
yeah i&#39;m sure that&#39;s what they were thinking, when they invented Pac-Man. "it&#39;s like a movie, but with a joystick&#33;" and Pole Position... oh, man, that one really made you feel like you were Tom Cruise in Days Of Thunder. :rolleyes:

no offense, but i think you&#39;re mistaken if you think the cinematic element is the MAIN point of games. some people actually dislike games that rely so much on cinematics that they cease to be games and become merely movies with game-like elements (i.e. Dragon&#39;s Lair, Myst, Phantasmagoria, the Final Fantasy series, MGS2).

TheDave
11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
multiplayer games :)

•Balla•
11-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr AnDy D@15 November 2003 - 15:52
heh...i remmeber a time when i used to be so good...but then aoc got stupid cuz zone.com became gay thsoe dum asses kept recruiting stupid member plus and those fags thought they were king of the world....

TheDave
11-16-2003, 11:33 PM
i used to play 4v4 tib sun. that was cool

Cheese
11-16-2003, 11:40 PM
but when u watch a movie, u can laugh ur head off at the guy on the screen getting raped by dead people

That sounds like a great movie&#33; :D

Seriously though, I think you make a good point films are much more relaxing and entertaining, whereas games are more engrossing and when you do well you feel like you&#39;ve achieved something.

Mind you I&#39;ve never thrown a DVD out the window because the main character died, games can be very frustrating.... :lol: