PDA

View Full Version : Azureus

Russo
11-17-2003, 12:51 AM
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Russo
11-18-2003, 09:48 AM
OK i guess ill have to download it and try it. it looks like a damn good Java BitTorrent client if it works.

Screen Shots http://azureus.sourceforge.net/screenshots_v2.php

muchspl2
11-18-2003, 10:09 AM
A little resources heavy but the second fastest client, after shadows of coarse

Gre1
11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
I have heard of people that said they like that client, but I didn't I stick with shawdow's

NotoriousBIC
11-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Azureus has a few things in favor of it:

- You can prioritize files within a torrent. That way you can download only the files you want from a big collection torrent and don't have to d/l files you already have.

- It has a built-in tracker, which you can activate and use as a maintracker or, which I do a lot, configure as a backup tracker, so that it's less likely there'll be tracker problems.

- Built-in scrape function. It can get the number of seeders/peers directly from the tracker

That being said I use both Azuereus and TorrentStorm

vivitron 15
11-18-2003, 04:00 PM
i found shadows was eating like 200~300MB RAM, which was killin me, so i switched to Azerus, which so far seems pretty damn good.

also it saves the .torrent files for you; you dont need to right click>save as etc.

ZaZu
11-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@18 November 2003 - 06:36
I have heard of people that said they like that client, but I didn't I stick with shawdow's
yeah... :D

3rd gen noob
11-18-2003, 08:20 PM
i think this is the fastest and most efficient bitt client

danne
11-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Haven't tried it in a while, but it was definitly the nicest client so far, however, I got shit speeds with it (mentioned it in another thread). If it wasn't for that, I'd definitly go with it. Saw they had released another update, will wait a while and try it out again.

Russo
11-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Are there any english Shadows sites, Google is only pulling up sites in German

muchspl2
11-18-2003, 10:32 PM
http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/download.html

is the main site

Icebound
11-19-2003, 06:01 AM
i used to use azureus for awhile but switched to torrentstorm for good
u can decide to use bt 3.3 or shadow's 5.8.6 or 5.8.7 versions with it
so those that swear by shadow's have no reason not to use torrentstorm

Supernatural
11-19-2003, 01:40 PM
It's good, but resource hungry. I'd recommend it to people with beefy systems.

And I don't know how you can say 1 BT client is faster than another. They are all the same!

danne
11-21-2003, 12:52 PM
It seems to have been a bug that caused me to get sihtty speeds with azureus. works fine now tho =)

as for resource hungry. sure, but it goes at about 10-15% cpu constantly instead of the python clients which sometimes goes up and take 99% cpu (almost killing the system) for quite a while. I know what I prefer ^^

stoi
11-22-2003, 04:39 AM
azureas = leechers heaven

i wouldnt recomend this client to anyone and yes ive tested it out.

any client that lets you download multiple torrents (lets say 10 for arguments sake) and the set the upload rate at 3KBs GLOBALLY (which means all 10 torrents sharing this 3KBs) but still lets you go fast (so whatever your max download speed / 10) for all torrents is a bad client to use, and if i find you doing this on my tracker you will be banned.

share ratios under 0.200 are not acceptible, and yes i have seen share ratios of 0.008 and thats with 1gig downloaded on my tracker (and when i was testing this theory out myself).

im sure most ppl on here that use it dont use it to leech, but the option is still there is you want to, at least with shadows if you had 10 torrents going with that you have to upload at 3KBS min for each torrent, not share that 3KBS with 10 torrents.

stoi

Arm
11-22-2003, 05:56 AM
<_< Well I guess the leeching problem needs to get fixed then.

danne
11-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by stoi@22 November 2003 - 05:39
azureas = leechers heaven

i wouldnt recomend this client to anyone and yes ive tested it out.

You can do this in SO MANY other ways as well (won&#39;t mention them tho :P). It&#39;s by far the best and most customizable client I&#39;ve tested so far.

I doubt we&#39;ll ever get rid of frekkin leechers. The only way to do that would be to have a centralized server keeping track of userers share ratio. (and who would want such a thing ??)

As for why there is a global MAX, my guess it&#39;s for users who use async connections to the net (like *dsl). I could never have two torrents going at the same time before due to having my line throttled to death (ie, the ACK packages din&#39;t get through so I lost my ip and had to reconnect and get a new one and start the download all over). Now that I don&#39;t use adsl anymore I haven&#39;t got any use for the global max setting (have 10Mbit duplex cable).

Something I have noticed on a bunch of trackers lately tho is that it stops you at around 99.9% and let your ratio go up before you can finish ^_^ THIS is a good way to force leechers to share. Some might get pissed at it, but it&#39;s one way to control leechers.

jrsr40
11-23-2003, 02:07 AM
I&#39;ve been using Azureus off and on for a couple weeks.I&#39;ve also tried just about every bt client out there.Strange though,i&#39;ve never seen any of then hogging resouces.(4 yr old 750 P3 running XP). I agree on the leeching problem :angry: Something needs to be done about it. In the short time i&#39;ve been using bt, i&#39;ve found a few tricks to leech,but i don&#39;t. Besides you can always block a leechers ip with your firewall. I too think that some trackers are slowing D/L&#39;s as they get close to the finnish.