PDA

View Full Version : Playing .mpeg

bytey
02-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

I have downloaded a video with the file extension .mpeg. I have tried to play this in all the applications i have which are windows media, avi preview, divx player and quicktime player. I thought that alteast one of these would support .mpeg but apprarently not.. Is there something wrong with the file or do I need another application?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Bytey

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-10-2003, 06:13 PM
What happens with the file when you try to play it? Black screen, green screen? It could be a fake or you need the latest codecs. Try the K-lite codec package (link to it pinned in the development section) or try another codec package... Also head to the download section of the main page and get the G-spot codec finder which will tell you what kind of codecs you need.

Leech_Killer
02-10-2003, 06:14 PM
It should play in Windows Media Player. Sounds like there's something wrong with the file.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Yea, it should've worked in WMP as WMP can automatically DL the codec you need.

bytey
02-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks for your help guys!

I suspect there is something wrong with file. On opening with WMP it says "Windows Media Player Error" Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

I am going to have a go at the G-spot thing ;) as suggested by Shinigami and perhaps something will show up.

Thanks again,

Bytey

bytey
02-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Well, I downloaded the codec pack and Gspot.

Gspot says DirectShow was unable to play the file. The only information returned was in the form of an error message.

Error number: 0x80040265

Error name: VFW_E_UNSUPPORTED STREAM

Full error text: Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

Am i correct in assuming I have a dud file as suggested? :angry: Damn back to the drawing board....

Thanks for everyones assistance :D I am now a bit wiser

Bytey

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Yea, it's most likely a fake... You could try renaming to .avi but oh well, seems like a fake.... Good luck on your search for the real thing and also remember after about 10 megs, use AViPreview and see if it works.

bytey
02-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. It is not the end of the world as it was not a huge file but, shall take your advice and use AVI preview in future.

Bytey