PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates, Superphilanthropist

3rd gen noob
11-22-2003, 04:43 PM
old Bill has decided to give away roughly half of his disgustingly huge wealth ($46bn (£27bn)) to charity

woo-bloody-hoo

Mik3ll
11-22-2003, 04:46 PM
I still think hes greedy.

Billy_Dean
11-22-2003, 05:47 PM
The man's a legend, why can't people leave him alone?

How would you be if you had his money? What's the betting you'd be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away. They get millions of requests a year. What the fuck does this guy have to do? Who's paying for millions of African kids to be immunised? Has your fucking country done it? No!

People should grow up, if it wasn't for this man, half of you probably wouldn't have a computer now, you wouldn't be able to afford one.

:)

james_bond_rulez
11-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 17:47
The man's a legend, why can't people leave him alone?

How would you be if you had his money? What's the betting you'd be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away. They get millions of requests a year. What the fuck does this guy have to do? Who's paying for millions of African kids to be immunised? Has your fucking country done it? No!

People should grow up, if it wasn't for this man, half of you probably wouldn't have a computer now, you wouldn't be able to afford one.

oh boohoo i paid my computer with my own sweat and blood!!!!!

the man has enough money for god knows how many life times, it's only fair taht he gives some back.

it&#39;s what he should have done, it&#39;s his duty <_<

he can buy iraq for god&#39;s sake... <_<

Mik3ll
11-22-2003, 05:57 PM
I heard that when he passes away, hes gonne leave his family members with like 1 mil each, then donate the rest. I just remembered this, and if its true he might not greedy afterall

Billy_Dean
11-22-2003, 06:00 PM
So, he&#39;s giving it away for fuck sake&#33; What&#39;s your problem? He employs 200 people to do it.

If it weren&#39;t for Microsoft and Gates, you&#39;d be paying twice as much for your comp now. Maybe you&#39;re not old enough to understand.

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 18:47
The man&#39;s a legend, why can&#39;t people leave him alone?

How would you be if you had his money? What&#39;s the betting you&#39;d be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away. They get millions of requests a year. What the fuck does this guy have to do? Who&#39;s paying for millions of African kids to be immunised? Has your fucking country done it? No&#33;

People should grow up, if it wasn&#39;t for this man, half of you probably wouldn&#39;t have a computer now, you wouldn&#39;t be able to afford one.

I agree.

protak
11-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Hey Rikk&#33;&#33; How was the fishin mate? :D I can see it did ya a world of good.. :lol:
Your back with a little more vigour... :P I was startin to wonder, if you were ok.. B)

Cheer&#39;s
Tim B)

Billy_Dean
11-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi Tim. Fishing was heavenly, backed into the jetty when we got back tho, did &#036;800 damage to one of the motors&#33;

We camped on an island, snorkled and fished, BBQ&#39;s on the beach, didn&#39;t even have a watch. Off again in the morning for a couple of days, going up to Lizard Island for a marlin fishing comp, and big party after.

Who said life wasn&#39;t meant to be easy? Must have been a sad bastard.

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 06:22 PM
http://www.cairnsfishing.com/images/photos/photo61.jpg

Marlin Fishing, off Cairns I think.

3rd gen noob
11-22-2003, 06:22 PM
i think you&#39;ve missed my point, Billy

i&#39;m disgusted because he&#39;s &#39;only&#39; giving away half of it

he should be giving away more, rather than sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest, when it could be put to better uses

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Are these actually liquid assets 3rd.

I think a lot of his wealth is actually shares in Microsoft and other things.

If he were to realise his assets, which is probably impossible anyway, that may result in a lot of businesses folding and a lot of people losing their livelihood.

I don&#39;t think he could give it all away, even if he wanted to. It&#39;s not like you pledging your tenner to Children in Need.

protak
11-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 13:18
Hi Tim. Fishing was heavenly, backed into the jetty when we got back tho, did &#036;800 damage to one of the motors&#33;

We camped on an island, snorkled and fished, BBQ&#39;s on the beach, didn&#39;t even have a watch. Off again in the morning for a couple of days, going up to Lizard Island for a marlin fishing comp, and big party after.

Who said life wasn&#39;t meant to be easy? Must have been a sad bastard.

We camped on an island, snorkled and fished, BBQ&#39;s on the beach, didn&#39;t even have a watch.&nbsp; Off again in the morning for a couple of days, going up to Lizard Island for a marlin fishing comp, and big party after.
That&#39;s sounds like........... FUCKING FUN :D I&#39;ll be there in 24 hour&#39;s should be in time for the party mate.. :lol: Atleast you did&#39;nt wright the jetty off, gotta look a the positive side of it.
Anyway have a good trip Rikk, and make sure to, rub it in when ya get back... <_<

Cheer&#39;s
Tim B)

Billy_Dean
11-22-2003, 06:38 PM
There&#39;s a lot more to being a philanthropist than just giving money away. A good philanthropist, and I believe Gates is one, gives to deserving causes that governments should be funding but don&#39;t, often because there&#39;s no votes in it for them.

What he&#39;s doing is a lifetime job, and he needs to keep on making money to ensure funding for more and more things. Money makes money, if he gave it all away just like that, the whole thing would grind to a halt. As someone said earlier, in his will he has left almost his entire fortune to his charitable trust. They will then carry on his legacy, hopefully, for many years after his death.

As JP said, most of his money is tied up, earning money, not, "sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest ...

Edit: Cheers Tim, I&#39;ll do that&#33;

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 19:38
There&#39;s a lot more to being a philanthropist than just giving money away.&nbsp; A good philanthropist, and I believe Gates is one, gives to deserving causes that governments should be funding but don&#39;t, often because there&#39;s no votes in it for them.

What he&#39;s doing is a lifetime job, and he needs to keep on making money to ensure funding for more and more things.&nbsp; Money makes money, if he gave it all away just like that, the whole thing would grind to a halt.&nbsp; As someone said earlier, in his will he has left almost his entire fortune to his charitable trust.&nbsp; They will then carry on his legacy, hopefully, for many years after his death.

As JP said, most of his money is tied up, earning money, not,&nbsp; "sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest ...

Again I agree.

For him to give it all away (which like I said earlier would probably be impossible anyway) would be irresponsible. Not least for the people he employs.

He would no longer be generating further income which he could use for good causes. There is far from any guarantee that those who bought the companies from him would continue.

So it would be a short term gain, long term loss for the projects he supports.

It&#39;s like the "give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life" thing

protak
11-22-2003, 07:00 PM
It&#39;s like the "give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life" thing
J&#39;Pol I like that reference it seem&#39;s fitting....or fishing :D
B.D. gonna catch the biggest marlin on record, and give it to me.... :lol:

Cheer&#39;s,
Tim ;)

Illuminati
11-22-2003, 07:10 PM
So Bill Gates is giving away half of his fortune...where&#39;s the problem in that? :huh:

Even half of Bill&#39;s assets is an obscene amount of money to donate from anyone bar governments. The only problem is where it goes - If it goes to some needing cause like funding an AIDS vaccine, then he&#39;s doing a great thing. But if he&#39;s "donating" to the Bush re-election trial though, he&#39;s gonna be doing more harm than good with it. <_<

Personally, I say "F***ing A" to him right now - Donating billions is no mean feat :D

j2k4
11-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+22 November 2003 - 14:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 22 November 2003 - 14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 18:47

How would you be if you had his money?&nbsp; What&#39;s the betting you&#39;d be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away.&nbsp; They get millions of requests a year.&nbsp; What the fuck does this guy have to do?&nbsp; Who&#39;s paying for millions of African kids to be immunised?&nbsp; Has your fucking country done it? No&#33;

People should grow up, if it wasn&#39;t for this man, half of you probably wouldn&#39;t have a computer now, you wouldn&#39;t be able to afford one.

I agree.[/b][/quote]
Break out the bottle. :o

My God (please excuse my gratuitous reference), I never thought I&#39;d see the day when I would agree with Billy_Dean- :huh:

To enjoy J&#39;Pol&#39;s blessing as well just makes it all the sweeter. :P

kAb
11-22-2003, 08:44 PM
wha-wha?

the agreement of you three astounds me :o

I&#39;m going to have to agree as well.... :unsure:

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by j2k4+22 November 2003 - 21:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 22 November 2003 - 21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@22 November 2003 - 14:06
<!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 18:47

How would you be if you had his money? What&#39;s the betting you&#39;d be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away. They get millions of requests a year. What the fuck does this guy have to do? Who&#39;s paying for millions of African kids to be immunised? Has your fucking country done it? No&#33;

I agree.

My God (please excuse my gratuitous reference), I never thought I&#39;d see the day when I would agree with Billy_Dean- :huh:

To enjoy J&#39;Pol&#39;s blessing as well just makes it all the sweeter. :P [/b][/quote]
When I posted my agreement, the board crashed, seriously.

I don&#39;t know if it was just me but the board slowed and then crashed altogether.

It was a few minutes before I could log in again.

Illuminati
11-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+22 November 2003 - 22:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 22 November 2003 - 22:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by j2k4@22 November 2003 - 21:42

How would you be if you had his money?&nbsp; What&#39;s the betting you&#39;d be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away.&nbsp; They get millions of requests a year.&nbsp; What the fuck does this guy have to do?&nbsp; Who&#39;s paying for millions of African kids to be immunised?&nbsp; Has your fucking country done it? No&#33;

I agree.

I don&#39;t know if it was just me but the board slowed and then crashed altogether.

It was a few minutes before I could log in again. [/b][/quote]
See? Even the board fainted at the news&#33; :lol:

j2k4
11-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+22 November 2003 - 17:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 22 November 2003 - 17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by j2k4@22 November 2003 - 21:42

I agree.

It was a few minutes before I could log in again.[/b][/quote]
It was due to my impending invocation of the Lord&#39;s name, no doubt. ;)

So much for the agreement..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 09:14 PM
j2k4

Spamming using the Lord&#39;s name.

That&#39;s a bit .... I&#39;m not sure what it is, but it is definitely a bit something.

Watch out for

http://www.pulsar.org/archive/stormwatch/icons/anim-lightning.gif

j2k4
11-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@22 November 2003 - 17:14
j2k4

Spamming using the Lord&#39;s name.

That&#39;s a bit .... I&#39;m not sure what it is, but it is definitely a bit something.

Watch out for

http://www.pulsar.org/archive/stormwatch/icons/anim-lightning.gif
Hooooookay......... :ph34r:

Alex H
11-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Good for him&#33; What can you do with &#036;42 billion that you can&#39;t do with &#036;1 billion?

So he&#39;s giving some away now to help people who live in the same world he does, and he&#39;s stashing some away in investments so that his trust fund can keep helping people for maybe hundreds of years.

A true capitalist makes their money and then gives a lot away, realising that they are wealthy and powerful and have a responsibility to the rest of society. Think of all the other great American capitalists. They gave away shitloads too.

MagicNakor
11-24-2003, 02:19 AM
You can&#39;t give me &#036;1 billion. ;)

I don&#39;t particularly understand why a lot of people dislike Bill Gates. Leave the monopolizing and anti-trust and all that other crap out of it. The Business Personality and the Real Personality have to be different if you want to be successful. I&#39;ve heard of him donating money to charities and setting up various computer-related programs for the less fortunate for years. It&#39;s not out of character (of what I know) for the man to be giving away vast sums of money.

:ninja:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@22 November 2003 - 18:22
i think you&#39;ve missed my point, Billy

i&#39;m disgusted because he&#39;s &#39;only&#39; giving away half of it

he should be giving away more, rather than sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest, when it could be put to better uses
actually, he has promised to give away 95% of his money, not half