PDA

View Full Version : I'm New At This Bitorrent Thing

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 03:38 AM
hey, so after weeks of trying to get matrix revolutions off of kazaa, i'm fed up with it only having part one and not being able to find part two, so i've been stuck with not knowing how the fuckin movie finishes, and plus in general, i'm tired of all the fakes and scramblers mp3s that's going on in that now........so now i'm switching to bitorrent, but i'm new at this and all that faq shit that i see on that site bores the hell out of me and makes me feel like sleeping......so can someone simplify how i set this thing up, or what files i need to install, and how i can use it to download? it should be sort of like using kazaa right? search for files, download off one another........? right?

Tasty
11-27-2003, 03:44 AM
First, d/l Bit Torrent here (http://bt.degreez.net/). Then go to any site containing the torrent you want, d/l the torrent, then double click the torrent, and wait for the magic to begin. Simple enough? :)

muchspl2
11-27-2003, 03:47 AM
after you install shad0w's client
right click one of these links and save as to your computer, then open it

http://novasearch.net/?search=matrix+revolutions

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 03:58 AM
oh.....uh.....this is like downloading for dummies for me, like, waht's a client? like what's this "EXPERIMENTAL BITTORRENT CLIENT" that i see in bold.......are people ripping off the original of this and making their own or something.......is bitorrent something that you use to get links from supernova or something.....i just gotta get used to switching from kazaa to this......so yeah, that's for the help people.....keep it coming........what else should i know? what does the word "torrent" mean anyways? what the heck, i see a windows installer file, a source package, a replacement light sets, DeHackEd's Experimental HTTP Seeder:, ......am i supposed to get all of this?

muchspl2
11-27-2003, 04:05 AM
should only be one windows installer, and I assume you are running windows
instll it and then goto the site I linked and right click the one you want and save as
then open it

also read the faq http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 04:07 AM
alright....thanks man.......i hope this shit works.........and do i just click on any of those links or is there a favored one? uh....how do you translate this stuff "Filesize Seeds DLs Quality Submitter" what the heck is a seed and well.....i guess the quality doesn't matter.......

muchspl2
11-27-2003, 04:13 AM
also read the faq http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 04:18 AM
SHIT that's A LOT OF READING.....haha........thank goodness this is starting my four day weekend.....ahha :lol: damn this sucks...i have like dsl and with this, i'm getting like 5kb a sec.......what the heck........

3RA1N1AC
11-27-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@26 November 2003 - 19:58
waht's a client? like what's this "EXPERIMENTAL BITTORRENT CLIENT" that i see in bold.......

are people ripping off the original of this and making their own or something.......

what the heck, i see a windows installer file, a source package, a replacement light sets, DeHackEd's Experimental HTTP Seeder:, ......am i supposed to get all of this?
a client is an internet program running on a PC. they call it a "client" to distinguish it from a server.

people do make their own, but it's not a ripoff. bittorrent is an open-source program, meaning that the person who made the original has granted everyone permission to view his source code (the program's raw code, before it's converted into a version that actually runs on a PC) and alter it to make their own versions.

you only need a windows installer. the source code is for professional programmers' use, and that other stuff is just extra junk.

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 05:19 AM
oh ic......i just realized that this is the FUCKIN SLOWEST PIECE OF CRAP THAT I"VE USED SINCE my 30.0kps connection two years ago.....damn.............and you guys say you can get this movie in less than 5 horus? i hhave sbc yahoo dsl and this shit estimates that it'll take me 40 hours!!! how can i adjust the settings from th edefault so that i can get this thing going faster, i'm not even downloading anything else.............!??!

muchspl2
11-27-2003, 05:22 AM
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#speed

also do you have a router/firewall you might need to open up ports, and if your running xp, it also has a built in firewall
http://www.haxial.com/faq/routerconfig/winxp/

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 05:30 AM
hm.....well...i read that other faq that you sent me earlier, .......... i'm not too computer literate, so i don't know how to fuck around with those "ports" to do stuff........man, 1 kb a sec.....fuck this shit...........

3RA1N1AC
11-27-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@26 November 2003 - 21:19
SLOWEST PIECE OF CRAP
i'm getting a file at 87kb/sec right now.

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 05:32 AM
and you have dsl? is opening up ports a safe thing or is that like weakening myself for hackers? i'm using win 2000

3RA1N1AC
11-27-2003, 05:45 AM
yeah, dsl.

it depends a lot on which file you're getting. bittorrent creates very small networks, usually only a few hundred people per file, rather than millions of share folders like kazaa. you should pay attention to the number of people that the webpage says are uploading & downloading the file. the more people in total, the faster you'll get the file. and sometimes it just starts off slow. it can take a while for the transfer to speed up-- you will eventually get connected to more people.

try to stick to popular files, ignore the ones that don't have many people trading, and try to have a little patience. bittorrent is not a perfect program, but it does work really well when you figure out how the system works.

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 05:50 AM
oh alright......it's just that it's fustrating seeing dsl going that slow with this thing, that is supposedly supposed to be "all good" and all fast and all, and i'm getting this movie, which is still pretty new and there's like 129 seeds for the divx one.......shessh, how many people do you need to have a decent connection? i only got 5kb sec download and 10 kb upload.....what the hell...........that's like numbers that a 56k person should have.....or something........

muchspl2
11-27-2003, 05:54 AM
if you have a router or firewall you need to configure it

MuGen_PoWeR
11-27-2003, 06:33 AM
Fuck all this Bitorrent bull shit that shit aint neven as fast as MIRC but hey thats my opinion :lol: try MIRC and see how that goes

muchspl2
11-27-2003, 06:38 AM
he is having trouble with BT, good luck

but I do get the fastest speeds consentingly on irc

Chame1eon
11-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@27 November 2003 - 01:38
but I do get the fastest speeds consentingly on irc
Yeah, i always try irc first (Noob Irc Help (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=69650&hl=neverwinter)) then bittrorent, but their both faster than Kazza for movis and software.

BTW I've been using bittorent @ suprnova and 90% of the time after the download completes it says complete then continues to downlopad for about 30 seconds before saying complete again, other times it does the same thing, but never completes. :huh:

phoenixdragonhart
11-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the info here, I just started using bittorent. I downloaded two pieces of The Cat in the Hat and they came down rather qucikly, now I'm trying for Gothika and The Santa Clause 2 dvd but the speeds are rather slow, so besides choosing the file with the most seeds and downloads is there anything that I can do to speed things along?

phoenixdragonhart
11-27-2003, 12:28 PM
hmmm just thought about something, can you use videolan or any other program to preview the files? (I tried, doesn't seem to work) and on that same note is the quality of the files usually good? I hate downloading something that big then finding out that its filled with glitches. thanx for you help,

aizlumzan
11-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@27 November 2003 - 05:22
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#speed

also do you have a router/firewall you might need to open up ports, and if your running xp, it also has a built in firewall
http://www.haxial.com/faq/routerconfig/winxp/
i am also very new in Bittorrent. I have a DSL and am using a router. I was hoping to get faster speed by configuring the ports and stuff like it says in the link. But dont know what is KDX server and all. I have no idea on networking. SO how ?

mikenmike0001
11-27-2003, 02:58 PM
so yeah......anyone with yahoo dsl, can someone help me configure this stuff? i don't really know what to mess with , or how to restore default settings if something goes wrong, or just setting what in general......

Revan
12-01-2003, 03:51 AM
I havent been using bittorent 4 long at all!
At 1st it was only doin about 1-4 kbs and now am downloading matrix revolutions at 35 kbs and scary movie 3 at 15 kbs!
I didnt open any ports or mess about with anything just left it 4 a bit and it got faster as it connected 2 more peers and seeds!
Just leave it connected 4 a day an you'll have it!
Its worth a days wait :)