PDA

View Full Version : Education

JONNO_CELEBS
12-04-2003, 03:00 AM
After just reading a post about educating a youth (under10) about sex it got me thinking of when I was at school.

I remember a copper comming to talk to us about drugs.

He had samples of pot, heroin, cocain and acid.

Told us that they make you feel good...........but can kill you
Told us how muchh they are and how easy they are to get.
And even told us how to use them.

Looking back I think, I knew nothing about all that til he said, so I went from something I never thought about to knowing and thinking about drugs.

Something tells me thats not quite right <_<

:angry: <<Hehe, this guy is so funny :lol:

Jonno B)

TheDave
12-04-2003, 03:05 AM
i think they should say that they make you feel good and they probably wont kill you. but you start to look scary, everybody hates you. even your family dont like you, and people will be looking for an excuse to kick the shit out of you.

probably not so much for weed though, that just upsets your mum

JONNO_CELEBS
12-04-2003, 03:07 AM
True.......but I don&#39;t think we should have been told at all at that age cos none of us thought about it til he told us <_<

Now look at me :angry: <<hehe :lol:

Jonno B)

dingoBaby
12-04-2003, 03:11 AM
They told us to Just Say No. Thanks Nancy Reagan. Thats all the drug education I ever recieved in school.

Sex ed was even more laughable. I went to Catholic school. <_<

Billy_Dean
12-04-2003, 09:31 AM
My generation had no drug or sex education, at school or in the home.

No drug education because there was no drug problem, only alcohol and tobacco, and they weren&#39;t seen as problems in the 50&#39;s. We even had tobacco ads on the telly encouraging women to have a cigarette next time they felt hungry, as a way of losing weight&#33; Our parents smoked in the house when the kids were there, our teachers smoked. And the local drunk was our hero, as he was always good for the odd sixpence when he was pissed.

Sex education wasn&#39;t taught simply because you didn&#39;t talk about things like that in front of the kids.

So my generation grew up finding all these things out for ourselves, and look where that got us ...

WE INVENTED THE 6<span style='color:BLUE'>0&#39;S&#33;&#33;</span>

:)

Cheese
12-04-2003, 09:44 AM
These days we have to teach children about sex education and safe use of drugs from an early age. Teaching sex education from an early age is perfectly healthy imo and if parents were more open with their children with regards to this then I think we&#39;d have a lot less unwanted teenage pregnancies. (I live in Plymouth which has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Britain...)

Drugs are another matter, it&#39;s such a complicated mess. Do we teach our children about drugs and possibley therefore encourage them to take drugs? Or do we try to shield them from the truth as long as possible?

imo children should be taught about drugs in secondary schools, they should be taught the dangers AND safe use of drugs. None of this "just say no" crap or if you take drugs you&#39;ll probably turn into a crack whore and die in the gutter nonsense.

Keikan
12-04-2003, 10:33 AM
how are you suppose to smoke weed safely or snort cocaine (you picky people) :angry: (ya thats right) safely???

and i agree saying no suck ass

Cheese
12-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@4 December 2003 - 11:33
how are you suppose to smoke weed safely or sniff crack safely???

Knowing your limits
Knowing what you can and can&#39;t do whilst on drugs (ie no driving)
And also knowing the laws on the various drugs (ie what will happen if you get caught in possession)

Yogi
12-04-2003, 10:41 AM

At what prices did he sell those??

Yogs :lol:

Keikan
12-04-2003, 10:52 AM
What about physical affects like sniffing stuff burns your nose

cowswithguns
12-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Don&#39;t ya just love those drug educators who have never actually been near a drug in their life...how can they honestly expect kids to take them seriously.

I don&#39;t know what the answer is but I&#39;m sure if they found people who can at least answer kids questions from experience it may help.

It&#39;s about time they presume that a large number of kids are going to experiment and teach them how to use drugs more safely and the risks involved rather than just saying you shouldn&#39;t take them.

:unsure:

Yogi
12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Best drugeducation:

Let former Junky&#39;s tell the class about their life .

This actually happens and the kids keep quiet for an hour without laughing......

Yogi ;)

soopaman
12-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I second Withcheese&#39;s comments. Plymouth IS a shit hole full of kids pushing prams round. I almost had to go there today on business and thank God that&#39;s not gonna happen now&#33;&#33; :lol:

Keikan, how would one go about sniffing crack?? Interested to know. I&#39;ve only ever experienced it in a smokeable form. Is this some sort of new thing I haven&#39;t heard of??

Cheese
12-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@4 December 2003 - 13:12
I second Withcheese&#39;s comments. Plymouth IS a shit hole full of kids pushing prams round. I almost had to go there today on business and thank God that&#39;s not gonna happen now&#33;&#33; :lol:&nbsp;

Keikan, how would one go about sniffing crack?? Interested to know. I&#39;ve only ever experienced it in a smokeable form. Is this some sort of new thing I haven&#39;t heard of??
Oh dear, you don&#39;t have a very high opion of Plymouth do you? Mind you neither do I... ;)

@cowswithguns: not sure who your comments are directed at but most drugs work in the UK these days with young people already does center around the fact that young people are expected them to do them anyhow. I think most drug counsellors these days are more concerned with risk reduction than telling people not to do drugs.

I don&#39;t honestly think that if a person has taken drugs has any real bearing on whether young people will take them seriously. The flipside to what you&#39;re saying about young people taking them seriously is how can you really respect the advice of someone who has done drugs in the past?

Lots of people who have taken or still take drugs feel they are experts because of this, when in fact there are a lot of hard facts they have to learn before any advice they can give is really valid.

@yogi: not sure about your idea really...kinda sounds like scare tactics again: Take drugs and you&#39;ll end up a deadbeat. But maybe it would help young people to treat drugs with respect and ensure they use drugs (if they choose to) in moderation.

internet.news
12-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@4 December 2003 - 04:00
After just reading a post about educating a youth (under10) about sex it got me thinking of when I was at school.

I remember a copper comming to talk to us about drugs.

Told us that they make you feel good...........but can kill you
Told us how muchh they are and how easy they are to get.
And even told us how to use them.

Looking back I think, I knew nothing about all that til he said, so I went from something I never thought about to knowing and thinking about drugs.

Something tells me thats not quite right <_<

:angry: <<Hehe, this guy is so funny :lol:

Jonno B)
they told you how to use them - do you mean the teacher show it
to you while he use the drugs?

wow. :P <_<

Alex H
12-05-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@4 December 2003 - 17:10
@yogi: not sure about your idea really...kinda sounds like scare tactics again: Take drugs and you&#39;ll end up a deadbeat. But maybe it would help young people to treat drugs with respect and ensure they use drugs (if they choose to) in moderation.
Getting former users who have kicked the habit does work though. I remember my old Pys Ed teacher doing the "Drugs Topic" at school (drugs are bad, you shouldn&#39;t take them, etc) and someone (OK it was me, being a smartarse) asked him what drugs he had taken in his time. "I&#39;ve never taken any illegal drugs".

"So, you really have no qualifications to talk about them or their effects, do you?"

He wasn&#39;t happy. He called in an ex-junkie called Mike. EVERYBODY listened to HIM&#33;

I don&#39;t think you can put a lable on the issue like "Drugs". There are lots of different types with lots of different effects. Bad heroin will kill you, but bad pot will just make you want to find a new dealer. And what about the people who are addicted to normal prescription drugs? Should they be put in the same category?

Perhaps "Addiction and Dependance" would be a better lable.

Keikan
12-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by cowswithguns@4 December 2003 - 03:54
Don&#39;t ya just love those drug educators who have never actually been near a drug in their life...how can they honestly expect kids to take them seriously.

I don&#39;t know what the answer is but I&#39;m sure if they found people who can at least answer kids questions from experience it may help.

It&#39;s about time they presume that a large number of kids are going to experiment and teach them how to use drugs more safely and the risks involved rather than just saying you shouldn&#39;t take them.

:unsure:
cocaine crack same thing

brotherdoobie
12-05-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@4 December 2003 - 05:33
how are you suppose to smoke weed safely or sniff crack safely???

How do you sniff crack period? ;)

Peace brotherdoobie

soopaman
12-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@5 December 2003 - 07:10
cocaine crack same thing

No they&#39;re not&#33;&#33;&#33; Chemically they are quite different and have very different physiological effects, they are different prices and have a different "public perception" of their users. Perhaps a bit of research into a topic you are ignorant of would be useful. :angry: :lol: :P :lol: