PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is Kotor?

x_gimpg
12-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Ive heard alot of good things about kotor but the fighting system sounds kinda.... :blink: not as good as Jedi Knight 2 was (that was bitchin) Is it still cool? I hear its turn based but i dunno how that would work with a game like starwars.

joalien
12-05-2003, 11:48 PM
well, it's one of the best RPGs ever made.
I played through it 3 times.
There is just so much replay value.

x_gimpg
12-05-2003, 11:50 PM
How exactly does the battle system work then? FF style or what. Im downloading anyways for the graphics alone, they are da koolest

abu_has_the_power
12-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by x_gimpg@5 December 2003 - 18:45
Ive heard alot of good things about kotor but the fighting system sounds kinda.... :blink: not as good as Jedi Knight 2 was (that was bitchin) Is it still cool? I hear its turn based but i dunno how that would work with a game like starwars.
dude, rpgs are different from go in and kill everyone games. its so much more story based. kotor is the best rpg of this year. ff is the only rpg game that can compare to it's power. jedi knight 2 and jk academy are 1st/3rd person shooters. the point is to go in and kill everyone. kotor's point is to progress in a story and control the lure of the dark side, or just become dark all together, like me. lol

x_gimpg
12-05-2003, 11:56 PM
I actually like that better in some ways, FF was pretty kool. So, is it open world or mission or.. Anymore pro's/con's/ details

tHe LiNk
12-06-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by x_gimpg@5 December 2003 - 23:45
Please don't compare an RPG's gameplay to a FPS like that :unsure:

x_gimpg
12-06-2003, 03:27 AM
Well i was jumping to conclusions, heh. Ill have it in 20 minutes so ill see i guess

abu_has_the_power
12-06-2003, 04:29 AM
it's a great game. fps is mindless kill and kill some more. rpgs are more thought and reason

tHe LiNk
12-06-2003, 05:56 AM
abu_has_the_power, that 2.4c... i thought they could be overclocked to like 3.2 ghz? (i'll copy the article i got it from if you like) On the topic of KOTOR, i really cannot wait to get this game, i've chosen to wait until i upgrade to a AMD 2600+ xp, and a radeon 9600 XT before i actually play it... i feel playing the game with limited graphics on a Pentium 3 [1GHZ], and a geforce 4 mx will limit the experience. Should be great when i eventually do play it though!

abu_has_the_power
12-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by tHe LiNk@6 December 2003 - 00:56
abu_has_the_power, that 2.4c... i thought they could be overclocked to like 3.2 ghz? (i'll copy the article i got it from if you like) On the topic of KOTOR, i really cannot wait to get this game, i've chosen to wait until i upgrade to a AMD 2600+ xp, and a radeon 9600 XT before i actually play it... i feel playing the game with limited graphics on a Pentium 3 [1GHZ], and a geforce 4 mx will limit the experience. Should be great when i eventually do play it though!
yea. a p3 will have some trouble with this. it's an amazing game with mindblowing graphx

now, for my 2.4c, yes, with good ram, and if i change my fsb:ram ratio, i can go up to at least 4.0 ghz to 4.5 ghz with peltiers or wc. rite now, i&#39;m running stock hs and fan, and i don&#39;t need something that high yet. and my ram sucks too. it&#39;s some cheap infineon (made by samsung) ram that won&#39;t let my set my clock speed to higher than 233. arg. <_< <_< :angry: :angry:

tHe LiNk
12-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Yeah, it&#39;s definately not worth overclocking a cpu (even one as flexible as the P4 C&#39;s) if you&#39;re not going to use the extra speed. Mind if i ask what kind of specs you can push kotor up to with that kind of pc (with comfortable frames per second anyway)

abu_has_the_power
12-06-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by tHe LiNk@6 December 2003 - 01:08
Yeah, it&#39;s definately not worth overclocking a cpu (even one as flexible as the P4 C&#39;s) if you&#39;re not going to use the extra speed. Mind if i ask what kind of specs you can push kotor up to with that kind of pc (with comfortable frames per second anyway)
wat specs? well, i have everything enabled and everything on high, if that&#39;s wat ur asking. as for fps, not really sure. never measured. i&#39;m guessing, since i have flawless absolutly perfect picture and speed, i&#39;m guessing around 30-70 fps, at least. maybe 50-100 in some areas of the game

abu_has_the_power
12-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by tHe LiNk@6 December 2003 - 01:08
btw, when i get wc some time soon, i&#39;ll be getting some new ram, then spinning this shit to at least 3.8 ghz. that&#39;s the average clock for this card on many oced systems.

Global Media Trader
12-06-2003, 10:14 AM
The controls sucks , if you like point & click games (which i hate) you will like this game, but if you expect to navigate like you do in halflife or Unreal forget it

Cheese
12-06-2003, 04:15 PM
KOTOR imo is the best rpg i&#39;ve played in ages...it has a good story, great setting (you can&#39;t get much better than the Star Wars universe), superb graphics and the combat system is simple to use but works brilliantly.

I can&#39;t recommend this game enough.... :)

abu_has_the_power
12-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Global Media Trader@6 December 2003 - 05:14
The controls sucks , if you like point & click games (which i hate) you will like this game, but if you expect to navigate like you do in halflife or Unreal forget it
y is everyone comparing this with fps? rpg is completely different. yes, fps is amazing, but rpg is good too

Global Media Trader
12-09-2003, 10:05 AM
But Final Fantasy and Morrowind and many others had controls like a FPS that makes you more immersed in the action, rather than pointing & clicking and watching a battle take place.

But , are pirated versions playable in multi???

Monkeee
12-09-2003, 10:06 AM
its one of the best RPG&#39;s ever made..... not as good as Final Fantasies But almost there :D

Cheese
12-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Monkeee@9 December 2003 - 09:06
its one of the best RPG&#39;s ever made..... not as good as Final Fantasies But almost there :D
It is of course all a matter of opinion, a lot of people love the FF series but for me they&#39;ve never been the best RPGs. I&#39;ve always felt that the RPGs that come out on the PC are more immersive and have more to them than the console RPGs like FF.

My fave RPGs are Morrowind, Baldur&#39;s Gate 2 and, now, KOTOR.