PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Pretty Women

ilw
12-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Its official, scientists have shown that seeing a pretty woman, makes men temporarily act like an idiot

Pretty women scramble men's ability to assess the future

Biologists have long known that animals prefer immediate rewards to greater ones in the future. This process, known as "discounting the future", is found in humans too and is fundamental to many economic models.
Male students, when shown pictures of pretty women, were more likely to opt for short-term economic gain than wait for a better reward in the future.
Wilson and Daly found that male students shown the pictures of averagely attractive women showed exponential discounting of the future value of the reward. This indicated that they had made a rational decision. When male students were shown pictures of pretty women, they discounted the future value of the reward in an "irrational" way - they would opt for the smaller amount of money available the next day rather than wait for a much bigger reward.

Women, by contrast, made equally rational decisions whether they had been shown pictures of handsome men or those of average attractiveness.
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994469

Theres some talk about evolutionary biology, but I think its much more easily accounted for as a bloodflow problem. ;)

Wizard_Mon1
12-10-2003, 06:49 PM
http://www.missworld.org/Contestantsspic/S_117.jpg

who wants to know teh future anyway :P

the other solution is find a beutiful girlfriend and let her make the decisions
:D

Busyman
12-10-2003, 11:53 PM
It scrambles your brain if you are inexperienced, young and dumb, very "uncool", and/or just a flat out geek. ;)

AussieSheila
12-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by ilw@11 December 2003 - 04:38
Its official, scientists have shown that seeing a pretty woman, makes men temporarily act like an idiot

Pretty women scramble men's ability to assess the future

Biologists have long known that animals prefer immediate rewards to greater ones in the future. This process, known as "discounting the future", is found in humans too and is fundamental to many economic models.
Male students, when shown pictures of pretty women, were more likely to opt for short-term economic gain than wait for a better reward in the future.
Wilson and Daly found that male students shown the pictures of averagely attractive women showed exponential discounting of the future value of the reward. This indicated that they had made a rational decision. When male students were shown pictures of pretty women, they discounted the future value of the reward in an "irrational" way - they would opt for the smaller amount of money available the next day rather than wait for a much bigger reward.

Women, by contrast, made equally rational decisions whether they had been shown pictures of handsome men or those of average attractiveness.
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994469

Theres some talk about evolutionary biology, but I think its much more easily accounted for as a bloodflow problem. ;)
:P Gosh really? It took a scientific study to figure that out? lmao!

Rappy
12-12-2003, 08:36 AM
hey im guilty of that

I.am
12-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by RapFan@12 December 2003 - 03:36
hey im guilty of that
You sure are guilty of many other things too :rolleyes:

Rappy
12-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by I.am+12 December 2003 - 09:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 12 December 2003 - 09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RapFan@12 December 2003 - 03:36
hey im guilty of that
You sure are guilty of many other things too :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
:rolleyes: i bet im not alone