PDA

View Full Version : Joined Date

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 09:01 AM
I don't know if this might be a bad idea or not possiable but instead of having stars for posts could it be for how long you been registered at the board. So someone who has been here a year would have more stars than someone who has been here for a month. Just an idea i will shut up now.

asmithz
12-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Sounds good, but don't think it will happen.

Rappy
12-12-2003, 09:04 AM
i don't think its good well mabe it does it makes more sense than the current set up

I.am
12-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by KwahyaJ@12 December 2003 - 04:01
I don't know if this might be a bad idea or not possible but instead of having stars for posts could it be for how long you been registered at the board. So someone who has been here a year would have more stars than someone who has been here for a month. Just an idea i will shut up now.
Definitely, is one way of giving seniority. But many people have registered their name and hardly used it. They show up after 6-8 months and using this will make them senior.

The point is, one should not refer to post count or stars for the credibility of the answers from that person. The answers/solution itself should reflect that. You gain respect and credibility automatically by making useful posts and not just pointless posts.

But for the general mass, the stars will always be an attraction i guess.

Edit: spelling argh!

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 09:07 AM
i just thought it would be more appropriate expecially since we are trying to get people away from whoring the board to get them 5 stars.

i dont know just random thoughts popping into my head i really need to work on thinking less.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
12-12-2003, 09:11 AM
:D All a person has to do is read what is in my SIG and take it from there. :D

I.am
12-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by KwahyaJ@12 December 2003 - 04:07
i just thought it would be more appropriate expecially since we are trying to get people away from whoring the board to get them 5 stars.

i dont know just random thoughts popping into my head i really need to work on thinking less.
:lol: Its always good to think! Many of the unknown solutions pop up which is good! The problem starts when you stop thinking :lol:

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by I.am@12 December 2003 - 03:06

Definitely, is one way of giving seniority. But many people have registered their name and hardly used it. They show up after 6-8 months and using this will make them senior.

The point is, one should not refer to post count or stars for the credibility of the answers from that person. The answers/solution itself should reflect that. You gain respect and credibility automatically by making useful posts and just pointless posts.

But for the general mass, the stars will always be an attraction i guess.

Edit: spelling argh!
but my thinking is the mods and admins are trying to get us from worrying about getting those stars or how many posts we can get right? So make it something we have no control over. Cause i much rather know how long a person has been at the forum than how many times he can post. But Maybe thats just me

I.am
12-12-2003, 09:22 AM
You still have an option to see the Joined Date. But people to choose to see the stars and get biased by it. Unless the star system altogether is removed/replaced, there are no solutions to this. But I know what you are saying and the points are valid. Just the solution has its own problems as well. :)

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 09:24 AM
yeah i guess nothing will ever be perfect and everyone cant be happy

N£MO
12-12-2003, 09:39 AM
You can see what date a user joined the board so i dont see the point in doing what you suggest. :rolleyes:

Adster
12-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Seeing people think they Post to get there stars

how about as soon as you register you get 5 pretty stars :huh:

then nobody will have to worry about getting the posts up to get the 5 stars :huh:

and you loose 3 stars once you reach 1000 :huh: then when to 3000 you get no pretty stars

Rappy
12-12-2003, 09:53 AM
eww thats what i think about ur evil plan :P

Illuminati
12-12-2003, 09:53 AM
GameFAQs uses a 'karma' system for its boards - Basically, it's a case of each day you post you get a karma point, any rule infringment brings said karma down. Member levels are linked to the karma and different levels have different abilities.

That won't work as it is and I'm not sure whether it's codable into IPB, but with a bit of editing that system it could work :)

Rat Faced
12-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@12 December 2003 - 09:53
GameFAQs uses a 'karma' system for its boards - Basically, it's a case of each day you post you get a karma point, any rule infringment brings said karma down. Member levels are linked to the karma and different levels have different abilities.

That won't work as it is and I'm not sure whether it's codable into IPB, but with a bit of editing that system it could work :)
Well, it would take warnings into account....ie rule infringements.

If you think im gonna sit here and click a reward button for a "Sensible" post every day though....you have another think coming :P

Wizzandabe
12-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Im pritty sure this isant possable, well its possable with some big time diting to the sql, but hey. "oi oi"

Illuminati
12-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+12 December 2003 - 14:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 12 December 2003 - 14:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Illuminati@12 December 2003 - 09:53
GameFAQs uses a &#39;karma&#39; system for its boards - Basically, it&#39;s a case of each day you post you get a karma point, any rule infringment brings said karma down.&nbsp; Member levels are linked to the karma and different levels have different abilities.&nbsp;

That won&#39;t work as it is and I&#39;m not sure whether it&#39;s codable into IPB, but with a bit of editing that system it could work :)

If you think im gonna sit here and click a reward button for a "Sensible" post every day though....you have another think coming :P [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s all done automatic - You ever seen the number of registered on GameFAQs? :P

However, I will admit that there&#39;s a report button on most posts to speed up finding infringing posts. Not that much a problem AFAIK, as IPB already comes with the report system :D But I think that&#39;s only for admin though :(

MagicNakor
12-12-2003, 03:10 PM
I think it&#39;s fine how it is now.

:ninja:

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+12 December 2003 - 07:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced &#064; 12 December 2003 - 07:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Illuminati@12 December 2003 - 09:53
GameFAQs uses a &#39;karma&#39; system for its boards - Basically, it&#39;s a case of each day you post you get a karma point, any rule infringment brings said karma down. Member levels are linked to the karma and different levels have different abilities.

That won&#39;t work as it is and I&#39;m not sure whether it&#39;s codable into IPB, but with a bit of editing that system it could work :)

If you think im gonna sit here and click a reward button for a "Sensible" post every day though....you have another think coming :P [/b][/quote]
:( ahhh why not ? :D

Sparkle1984
12-12-2003, 04:07 PM
I like everything the way it is. If this suggestion is implemented, it will probably affect me negatively, because I have been here a shorter time than many people.

I have used K-Lite for 5 months, which is less than some people, but I think I am experienced because I know what all the options/functions do and everything, because I am quick to learn.

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@12 December 2003 - 10:07
I like everything the way it is. If this suggestion is implemented, it will probably affect me negatively, because I have been here a shorter time than many people.

I have used K-Lite for 5 months, which is less than some people, but I think I am experienced because I know what all the options/functions do and everything, because I am quick to learn.
well lets just say they do change it just because you havent been here for over a year doesnt make you less important or know less about it. This would just get rid of people spamming for the 5 stars

Virtualbody1234
12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
I like the Karma idea.

And if that can&#39;t be done then just remove the stars altogether.

Sparkle1984
12-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by KwahyaJ+12 December 2003 - 15:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KwahyaJ @ 12 December 2003 - 15:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@12 December 2003 - 10:07
I like everything the way it is.&nbsp; If this suggestion is implemented, it will probably affect me negatively, because I have been here a shorter time than many people.

well lets just say they do change it just because you havent been here for over a year doesnt make you less important or know less about it. This would just get rid of people spamming for the 5 stars [/b][/quote]
Well I see you have 5 stars already even though you&#39;ve been here for a shorter time than me, so why are you worrying about other people?&#33; :lol:

Jayhawk
12-12-2003, 05:48 PM
because they dont mean anything to me other than i spend alot of time posting on here in sections i enjoy. I dont care about posts or stars and i would be all for what Virtualboy says and get rid of them. I care more about what a person posts and how long they have been here.

I.am
12-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@12 December 2003 - 12:43
I like the Karma idea.

And if that can&#39;t be done then just remove the stars altogether.
I second that. Karma sounds interesting but could be a lot of work. Getting rid of stars altogether would just eliminate all conflicts.

MagicNakor
12-13-2003, 02:09 AM
Honestly, this is the only forum I&#39;ve seen that has such huge problems with post counts. I don&#39;t see why everything can&#39;t just be left alone.

uNz[i]
12-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 December 2003 - 11:39
Honestly, this is the only forum I&#39;ve seen that has such huge problems with post counts. I don&#39;t see why everything can&#39;t just be left alone.

Agreed.

tracydani
12-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Send the stars to the land of the post counts.

sparsely
12-13-2003, 11:07 PM
I like the stars.
they remind me to eat more marshmallow cereal.

can someone make my name start with a lowercase &#39;s&#39; instead?
I don&#39;t know what the hell I was thinking that day....

Busyman
12-14-2003, 12:18 AM
I like the Karma idea but someone could easily come up with a complex algorithm that takes your join date and your post count to give the stars instead.

kAb
12-14-2003, 02:16 AM
i think join date=stars is a great idea.

Jayhawk
12-14-2003, 10:53 AM
yeah me to cause i could care less about post counts. And I dont know how many threads I have seen now with "posts count in the lounge now i can finally get 5 stars" IMO would get rid of this problem.

Busyman
12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Joined date alone is a horrid idea. If I have 5 aliases (hinthint) and they are seldom used, then they would have 5 stars with 300 posts or even 10 posts. Ridiculous idea <_<

uNz[i]
12-14-2003, 11:22 AM
I&#39;m sorry, but all this aggro about postcount and stars makes no sense to me at all...

If you lot don&#39;t care about postcount so much, why is it that you&#39;re the ones that are always going on about it?

I&#39;ve seen many 1000+ members starting topics in the lounge celebrating postcount milestones ever since I joined. Look in there now, There&#39;s Virtualbody1234&#39;s topic that was started yesterday, and tralala hit the big 1K about an hour ago... and good luck to both of them.

Sure, I&#39;ve seen the occasional sub 100 post member mention that they would like to reach 5 stars, but it&#39;s by no means done to the point where it&#39;s become an annoyance. The amount of times I&#39;ve seen that happen is vastly less than the amount of topics that say "1000 posts - hooray for me&#33;"

And I dont know how many threads I have seen now with "posts count in the lounge now i can finally get 5 stars" IMO would get rid of this problem.

I know exactly how many threads I&#39;ve seen like that... virtually bugger all.
If there are any, I&#39;m sure it&#39;s a fad that will soon pass. There is no problem.

Admin, Mods, Please leave everything just the way it is. It&#39;s fine as it is.

dragon_son
12-14-2003, 11:52 AM
heh

I like joined date for seniority idea hehe I been here for very long time B)

though the karma idea sounds intersting too :P

Cloud.
12-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Posts counts suck just read the god dam post that someone made not the number of posts next to their name....

dam if I wanted a forum that was about post counts I would go too postcountsforum.com to see how many I can get :huh: ......

asmithz
12-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Cloud.@14 December 2003 - 06:47
Posts counts suck just read the god dam post that someone made not the number of posts next to their name....

dam if I wanted a forum that was about post counts I would go too postcountsforum.com to see how many I can get :huh: ......
i agree posts counts are dum