PDA

View Full Version : Ban For Not Sharing...

Not_Sharing's_Buster
12-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Hi there,

First of all I wanna apologise if this topic should appear somewhere else, not here actually.

I decided to post it here, because I'm very very angry (to say it in a polite way) with people who do not share any file. Even one. I guessed, that the idea of such systems as KaZaA was to share files. For example:

Someone is downloading a file from my computer. I want to check if he has something interesting for me, so i choose Find more from the same user. And then I see: Search finished without result. What the ... is going on? In addition, this user is a K-Lite Master (1000) !!! Where are these files?

Why am I supposed to waste transfer for somebody who I can't deal with, because they do not share anything? I understand new people, who just joined us. But when they have a file downloaded they should share it. I might not be interested in files they share, but I should see them shared.

Therefore, I want to ask question to people who run KaZaA and who create this software. Is it possible, to include in new versions of KaZaA a new option as BAN user? I click Cancel Upload and in a few seconds time the same user is connected again and downloading. I am dreaming of such option, because when you don't share files with me, I don't have to share files with you. I'd click BAN Upload and this user wouldn't disturb me anymore during actual session of KaZaA. I think, it would be very very helpful for those people who don't want to be a charity institution and want to have a chance to see files shared by other users.

Best regards

NotSharing_K_Master's_Buster

cwctv
12-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the world of p2p my friend (and the board)this as been brought up many times its all to do with the RIAA etc thats why people are seen as not sharing it DOESN'T mean they are not I myself and hundreds of others do the same.

Yep I also use to do that check and see for ideas but not any longer unless you have a common name like Kazaauser etc if you keep knocking people they will see your name and do the same I know been there done that.

SeK612
12-14-2003, 02:20 PM
The fact is you cannot be sure whether someone is sharing or not. The latest versions of K++ comes with a built in privacy patch which prevents anyone from using the "find more files from same user" as this was supposedly used by the RIAA to gather info for a prosecution. If you have set up K++ properly then when users try and view your files they will get the same message (and no doubt you'd complain if people began stopping you from downloading for not sharing when you were sharing all you could).

As for the PL of 1000 K++ is designed to give all users this figure so the unfair Kazaa PL system is null and void and everyone is on an equal footing.

Aaron_T
12-14-2003, 03:07 PM
there is an option in k-lite to stop people looking at all of your shared files as you may get swamped by someone downloading hundreds of files from you i think that is the reason, but just today someone was trying to download scary movie 3 from me and there participation level was 0 people should start of with at least 10 files i now am sharing 256 files and all are free to view

Not_Sharing's_Buster
12-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that I can download a file from someone who has the privacy patch installed. It is even funny actually if you download a file who teoretically isn't sharing anything. But the problem is still unsolved.
Someone who has the patch installed, downloads a file from me. I want to check this persons files but I get nothing as a result, so I cancel the upload. I do that because it isn't obligatory for me to share files. Especially when the downloading user doesn't want to show me what he or she has got. Why am I supposed to show them my files?

I share over 2000 files because this is, in my opinion, the idea of p2p systems :-)

GMC0529
12-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Not_Sharing's_Buster@14 December 2003 - 15:45
Someone who has the patch installed, downloads a file from me. I want to check this persons files but I get nothing as a result, so I cancel the upload. I do that because it isn't obligatory for me to share files. Especially when the downloading user doesn't want to show me what he or she has got. Why am I supposed to show them my files?

I share over 2000 files because this is, in my opinion, the idea of p2p systems :-)
I live in Canada, so I allow other users to view my files. But believe me, after reading some of the threads regarding people being sued for file sharing in the States, I would disable my view shared files as well.

Happy Sharing!

postie
12-14-2003, 09:52 PM
I too have found this to be a minor bugbear but at the end of the day the Americans have this problem with the RIAA. I often wonder why I share my files and it always comes down to the same thing for me. I choose to share because thats what P2P is all about.

Looking for peoples files and not finding any dosen't mean they don't share. As has been stated there are privacy patches and options not to show personal files because people wish to avoid prosecution. Its their choice.

I find a lot of people do share. The % may be low but I can live with that. I share and that's what matters to me.....

Postie ;)

SeK612
12-14-2003, 09:56 PM
If your really bothered by leechers then try a program like emule (http://emuleplus.tk/). It revolves around a points based system which forces you to share files if you want to download at good speeds.

cosmic doobie
12-14-2003, 10:01 PM
eMule Forum (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showforum=57)

:P

guit_steel
12-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Not_Sharing's_Buster@14 December 2003 - 08:14
Someone is downloading a file from my computer. I want to check if he has something interesting for me, so i choose Find more from the same user. And then I see: Search finished without result. What the ... is going on? In addition, this user is a K-Lite Master (1000) !!! Where are these files?
If ur not using the privacy patch in K++ and u live in the US, ur begging to get sued. If u want recommendations, try PMing the user and 9 of 10 they'll help u out.

If ur looking for search capability, I recommend eMule Plus (http://sourceforge.net/projects/emuleplus/). U can share ur file lists with friends while still keeping them hidden from the network at large.

mojava
12-15-2003, 12:01 AM
All I can say is ever since I left the states for SE Asia I have not been happier to share my files. I cannot believe the crap that's goin on with the riaa & sueing kids etc..........

I hope Klite+++ stays alive n goes strong & F the music/movie/software industry.

TheGatherer
12-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Ok this is sorta a dum question but if we live in the uk can we be sued? :blink: just thought id better ask :D

TheGatherer
12-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Is no1 gona answer me?

GMC0529
12-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Although not from the UK myself, some members have posted info that there is an agency in the UK following along the same lines as the RIAA and MPAA in the USA. That's all I know.

<_<

cosmic doobie
12-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Yeah it&#39;s the BPI (British Phonographic Industry) Website Here (http://www.bpi.co.uk)
They are not as visible as the RIAA but they are actively scanning on P2P.

DRACOJOE2
12-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Not to be mean but Not Sharing Buster you must be a dumb Arse. The main point of the Kazaa lite ++ program is to keep you from getting caught and sued by the RIAA. The feature of not letting someone see all of your files if they want to is because the RIAA is suing people with 1000 songs or more for upload. If you ever in the future become a major sharer like some of us sharing 5000 to 10,000 files you should want to use this feature unless you want to fork out 100,000&#39;s of thousands of dollars out to the RIAA in court. I use this feature always so if ya want a song that I have search for it and if ya are lucky you will find me or someone else that I have shared it with. If this doesnt make sense to you, you need to go back and use regular KAZaa, KMD like all of the rest mindless sheep out there.