PDA

View Full Version : Experiment To See If Sharman Is Lying

Skarbro
12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
A post by imnotanaddict in another thread got me thinking about Sharman's claims that Kazaa 2.6 Supernodes won't allow users of older versions to download from the 2.6+ versions.

Could we not ideally do an experiment to answer this thing once and for all?

Post a new unique file on your shared drive - like a harmless text file with a harmless "blah blah" message on it or something.

Run as a Supernode in Kazaa 2.6. Do not run an older version.

Have someone somewhere else running K++ 2.4.3 do a search for that file (e-mail them the details of the file so Sharman can't botch the experiment).

Have that someone else try to download the file.

If they CAN download the file, would that not mean that what Sharman is saying is untrue? Is this not a scientific way of determining if Sharman is blowing smoke?

Could someone try this out?

mcrosby
12-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I suggest lots of us try downloading the file though. Now who wants to install 2.6? :-)

Mik3ll
12-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by mcrosby@14 December 2003 - 21:35
Sounds like a great idea! I suggest lots of us try downloading the file though. Now who wants to install 2.6? :-)
There is a clean version already http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=87721.

Skarbro
12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
OK Anyone running 2.6 and willing to try this out? If you put a file on your shared drive and PM me, I'll make the attempt to download it with my K++2.4.3.

SuBKulture
12-14-2003, 10:49 PM
It's pointless trying to test this at the moment. Sharman are not going to make the change to block older clients until they have migrated a substantial proportion of their existing user base onto KMD 2.6.

downloader2008
12-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SuBKulture@14 December 2003 - 17:49
It's pointless trying to test this at the moment. Sharman are not going to make the change to block older clients until they have migrated a substantial proportion of their existing user base onto KMD 2.6.
Yes, I agree. You should wait because they haven't claimed to block older versions yet.

Skarbro
12-14-2003, 11:07 PM
What are you saying? That Sharman has some sort of "switch" that they will throw on some arbitrary day to block older versions? That makes no sense to me. I don't see why this experiment would not yield the truth.

Slyck.com's article says:

A representative of Sharman Networks spoke to us on the condition of anonymity regarding their current campaign to vanquish Kazaa Lite K++.

Not only has Sharman Networks succeeded in eliminating nearly every major resource of Kazaa Lite K++, they are systematically forcing it off the network.

How you ask?

Recent upgrades to Kazaa clients (2.5 and higher) make them less tolerant with outdated or non official clients such as Kazaa Lite K++. Kazaa Lite is based on a version prior to 2.5, therefore a current supernode will not accept its shares. Although this will cause network headaches in terms of traffic, the client will not be able to participate or download off the main FastTrack network. This will effectively cluster and isolate all modified Kazaa clients from FastTrack....As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network. This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocrisy that involves the protection of their own intellectual property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others.

cosmic doobie
12-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Wonder if Nikki Hemming Sharman's CEO reads this board :unsure:
http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/141203-nml_0423hemming.jpg

imnotanaddict
12-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by SuBKulture@14 December 2003 - 22:49
Where are you getting your information?
[quote]
Sharman are not going to make the change to block older clients until they have migrated a substantial proportion of their existing user base onto KMD 2.6.[/unquote]

Do you mean that they will require users to download an update for 260? or what?I don't follow.

From what I've read its a block of new supernode access thats used in 250 and higher versions of Kazaa. Any changes that are made or going to be made for this block I would think would already be in newer versions. I could be wrong on this(would'nt be the first time) any info to clarify this would be great.

Skarbro
12-15-2003, 12:03 AM
imnotanaddict - You're running 2.6, right? You want to try this out? Send me a PM if you are.

SuBKulture
12-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by imnotanaddict+14 December 2003 - 23:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (imnotanaddict @ 14 December 2003 - 23:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SuBKulture@14 December 2003 - 22:49
It&#39;s pointless trying to test this at the moment. Sharman are not going to make the change to block older clients until they have migrated a substantial proportion of their existing user base onto KMD 2.6.
Where are you getting your information?

Sharman are not going to make the change to block older clients until they have migrated a substantial proportion of their existing user base onto KMD 2.6.[/unquote]

Do you mean that they will require users to download an update for 260? or what?I don&#39;t follow.

From what I&#39;ve read its a block of new supernode access thats used in 250 and higher versions of Kazaa. Any changes that are made or going to be made for this block I would think would already be in newer versions. I could be wrong on this(would&#39;nt be the first time) any info to clarify this would be great. [/b]
I don&#39;t have any information on this specifically, but I assume Sharman will use the same method that they used when they blocked Kazaa 1.x clients from the network. When they did that, they released KMD v2 and users of older clients received messages asking them to upgrade (KL currently blocks these messages), but the older clients were still functional for several months before they were prevented from actually connecting to the network.

Barbarossa
12-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SuBKulture@15 December 2003 - 04:21
I don&#39;t have any information on this specifically, but I assume Sharman will use the same method that they used when they blocked Kazaa 1.x clients from the network. When they did that, they released KMD v2 and users of older clients received messages asking them to upgrade (KL currently blocks these messages), but the older clients were still functional for several months before they were prevented from actually connecting to the network.
No, as soon as they got the "you must update" message they were unable to connect to the network at all, the only way round this was to reset the registry and connect to an older supernode.

This is how there was (for a while) an independent Morpheus network, but eventually that got "infected" by the upgrade message, and dissipated out of existence.

Since KazaaLite is impervious to the upgrade messages, it should continue to be able to connect to the network indefinitely, so long as there are enough kazaalite supernodes to support it

I&#39;m surprised it&#39;s taken more than a week for the effects of this to bite, but I&#39;m still seeing a high number of users, so I&#39;m beginning to wonder whether it was all bullshit..

cosmic doobie
12-15-2003, 11:27 AM
:D
The vast majority of users on the network are K-lite still.
This is using the CLEAN KMD 2.6 + 2.43++ so suffice to say there has been no evidence to suggest anything is happening.
Let&#39;s say I&#39;ll believe it when it happens.

SuBKulture
12-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by barbarossa@15 December 2003 - 11:05
No, as soon as they got the "you must update" message they were unable to connect to the network at all
Yes, the "you must update" message comes when the client can no longer connect, but before that there is a substantial period when users just get a "you need to update" message which can be cancelled without any problem.