PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Os

Evil Gemini
12-15-2003, 03:06 AM
OK i was thinking wouldnt it be cool if there was a PC games only OS ??

The reason i thought about this is because i have checked out the specs of all these new gaming consoles and they are pretty crap compared to PC specs and the reason that they can play them perfectly with bad ass graphics is because they are a machine designed for only the games and dont have to worry about running fkn windows apps and dll's in the back and all that shit.

But PC's that are higher spec than the ps2 and the xbox play need for speed underground shit house!.

I have a 1.3ghz duron 512mb ram and a geforce4mx440 and that beats the hell out of the xbox specs and i have to run nfs underground at low settings and at 800x600 and even then it pulsates sometimes.

Imagine if there was an OS dedicated for just playing PC games ??

Have %100 of the PC's power just for our PC games.

If i was going to say to you

"hey i can run gran turismo 3 perfect on 300Mhz PC" you will tell me to go fuck my self but this is what the ps2 is running.

So what do you guys think ?

If their was such an OS for PC's would you buy it ?

Just think, doom 3 is coming out on xbox and thats only a 733mhz machine.

¶~¥aT§~¶
12-15-2003, 03:13 AM
They will have one soon. its called PS3 :D

tHe LiNk
12-15-2003, 04:35 AM
That sounds like a good idea, but it would be such an effort for anyone to try, you'd need developer support and a huge team to work on it. After all, developers would have to redesign alot of their games to suit the new OS. Like i said though, good idea...

morpheus 1.0
12-15-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by ¶~¥aT§~¶@15 December 2003 - 03:13
read the question, your fucking dumb

Evil Gemini
12-15-2003, 01:08 PM
I was thinking, would someone be able to modify windows and actually get something like gta vice city running on a 200mhz pc with geforce4 ??

YouSycophant
12-15-2003, 10:52 PM
well would this os be able to run other stuff, because no matter how much you enjoy games , other programs are neccasary , like kazaa itself, while a console may be able to run games better it cant run AIM or kazaa or brose the internet, youd hafta find a way to be able to switch off between OS's.

toddiscool
12-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by YouSycophant@15 December 2003 - 17:52
well would this os be able to run other stuff, because no matter how much you enjoy games , other programs are neccasary , like kazaa itself, while a console may be able to run games better it cant run AIM or kazaa or brose the internet, youd hafta find a way to be able to switch off between OS's.
Dual booting is quite simple.

[P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
12-15-2003, 11:36 PM
hmm...they used to have dos booted games, that is very similar to what you're saying...but now the games want 3d drawing that only directx delivers. and when microsoft only being the company to give this 3d drawing...they want it to run on their os...This is one of the very many reasons I hate microsoft.

Evil Gemini
12-16-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by YouSycophant+15 December 2003 - 23:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YouSycophant &#064; 15 December 2003 - 23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>well would this os be able to run other stuff, because no matter how much you enjoy games , other programs are neccasary , like kazaa itself, while a console may be able to run games better it cant run AIM or kazaa or brose the internet, youd hafta find a way to be able to switch off between OS&#39;s.[/b]

Actually, i wouldnt mind having two PC&#39;s.

One for the games and the other for the net, and all that other stuff.

Build your self a cheap 1Ghz pc and install the gaming OS and youre set :D

Only if linux ran win32 without winex or something because im sure someone would have made something like this.

<!--QuoteBegin-&#091;P
[RO][CE][SS][OR],16 December 2003 - 00:36]hmm...they used to have dos booted games, that is very similar to what you&#39;re saying[/quote]

Yeah thats exactly what im saying :)

I dont know why M&#036; or some other company doesnt make something like this.

Maybe it would put ppl off from consoles :unsure:

Not only PC games would rule but imagine when xbox and ps2 emulators when they are running at the speed of the current psx emu&#39;s :rolleyes: would be awsome on a gaming OS.

Shit i dream to much :lol:

¶~¥aT§~¶
12-16-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by morpheus 1.0+15 December 2003 - 04:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (morpheus 1.0 @ 15 December 2003 - 04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-¶~¥aT§~¶@15 December 2003 - 03:13
read the question, your fucking dumb [/b][/quote]
I did read the question. did you read the reason why neattairoski suggested this. i quote

"The reason i thought about this is because i have checked out the specs of all these new gaming consoles and they are pretty crap compared to PC specs and the reason that they can play them perfectly with bad ass graphics is because they are a machine designed for only the games and dont have to worry about running fkn windows apps and dll&#39;s in the back and all that shit."

Because the specs of the PC far surpass that of the consoles and the consoles dont have to run all the other necessary things that a PCs does , and eat up resources.

again neattairoski writes

"But PC&#39;s that are higher spec than the ps2 and the xbox play need for speed underground shit house&#33;.

I have a 1.3ghz duron 512mb ram and a geforce4mx440 and that beats the hell out of the xbox specs and i have to run nfs underground at low settings and at 800x600 and even then it pulsates sometimes.

Imagine if there was an OS dedicated for just playing PC games ??

Have %100 of the PC&#39;s power just for our PC games."

You can see his reasoning is. so 100% of the power can be dedicated to playing the game and not to other processes, hence you get a game that plays better on lower specs.

His reasoning is not because the games on PC are not available on a PS2 or Xbox.

He is talking about SPECS ,not cross platforming

raiserblade2003
12-16-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by neattairoski@16 December 2003 - 02:52
Actually, i wouldnt mind having two PC&#39;s.

One for the games and the other for the net, and all that other stuff.

Build your self a cheap 1Ghz pc and install the gaming OS and youre set :D

thens whats wrong w/ one pc for all the stuff and a cheap 200 dollars console for games? basically your just turning the pc into a console now that u lower to the spec.

bigdawgfoxx
12-16-2003, 04:41 AM
I thought of this idea 2 years ago haha..it seemed kinda weird tho

Kevhead2
12-16-2003, 04:47 AM
Consoles are PCs with out Operating Systems.

Evil Gemini
12-16-2003, 04:52 AM
thens whats wrong w/ one pc for all the stuff and a cheap 200 dollars console for games

Because like i said, it would be cool to play all your favourite PC games with all the effects up and at full speed.

There are some really good games coming out for the PC, and alot of people would not be able to afford the pc upgrades to play these games.

Look at Doom 3. Thats coming out of the xbox and its running on a 733mhz processor.

How cheap would it be to build a system of same spec and play better games ?

Alot cheaper than the xbox thats for sure.

Mïcrösöül°V³
12-16-2003, 06:57 AM
just do a fresh install and dont put any proggies back on your comp except for games. that would atleast help some, :P

Evil Gemini
12-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@16 December 2003 - 07:57
just do a fresh install and dont put any proggies back on your comp except for games. that would atleast help some,&nbsp; :P
I was thinking about that.

Im going to see how fast i can get games running on a low spec machine what i just built a few days ago and experiment with different versions of windblows.

Ill install windows and see how much i can change from it and see if i can strip some things away.

This might sound like a strange question, but can you install windows CE on a pc ??

tHe LiNk
12-16-2003, 12:04 PM
but can you install windows CE on a pc ??

Short answer, no. Windows CE is custom made for that hardware and wouldnt even boot on a pc, even if you did get it on there.

Evil Gemini
12-16-2003, 12:06 PM
damn :(

Damn MS

Mad Cat
12-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Its graphics card that makes most of the difference in games performance these days. PCs weren&#39;t created for graphics like consoles, so the GPU is totally seperate from the CPU. I bet you could run most games on a 1.4 ghz 512 MB RAM PC with a 9800XT whirring away inside.

YouSycophant
12-16-2003, 10:49 PM
I agree that the idea of two pc&#39;s is redundant because all youd have is a computer like you already do and replacing ur console with a pricier pc. It doesnt make sense

YouSycophant
12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
though a pc is more universal while consoles have a limited amount of games they can play, if ms really wants to do sumthin special they should find some way to make xbox play any cd game, dunno if its possible but that would be the best