PDA

View Full Version : This Will No Doubt Stretch Your Knowledge...

ac17
12-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Hi.
I have been trying to move my .dat files to another PC (three others actually).
I have no problems viewing these in the 'traffic' screen, and they can be added to, untill compltetion.

HERE's THE PROBLEM: the completed files I had begun on one pc and had finished on another, retained their .dat name (eg 109727649835230876) and their .dat file extension so that they are to my knowledge useless (i.e., I don't wish to be confined to listening to, or previewing them in Kazaa).

How do I get these files to be 'normal'? (they should be .mpeg and .mp3)

Has anybody had this problem?

Cheers

Autumn Fox
12-16-2003, 12:32 AM
You have to change their names, both file name (title of a movie for an example) and files extension (mpg for a movie) (ie. 1234567890.dat to Movie.mpg)

ac17
12-16-2003, 01:21 AM
That's dumb - why is this so?

-shouldn't Kazaa do this like it ordinarily would?

Autumn Fox
12-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Sometimes it might occure, when K-Lite has finishied a download and haven't change the name.

Jg427
12-16-2003, 02:35 AM
from the f.a.q.

After my download is completed the file still appears as a .dat file

If you start a download, a .dat file (partial download) is created. It's important to notice, that the path to the current download folder is coded into the .dat file, together with other information like the filename. When the file is finished with downloading it will be renamed and put into the folder that is stored inside the .dat file. So it is important that that folder is present. If not, the file will stay a .dat file untill this 'old' folder is restored. Or worse, it might even get deleted (this happens when the 'old' and 'new' folders are on different partitions).

If you change the download folder or use a different setting after reinstallation you can still use the uncompleted .dat files. But after completion, the client tries to copy the final files to the original download folder. If this folder still exists, you may find the file there. If you have removed it, the .dat stays in your current download folder and cannot be copied. Do NOT rename it, because the download info is still attached to the end of the file. If you recreate the original folder, then the file will be copied to its final destiny.

If you can't remember your 'old' download folder, you can use the K-Dat or DatView tool to find it out.

Recreate the original path to the download folder used on the first pc or change the path in the dat. file with k-dat.

edit: change the path of a dat file (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=72986)

ac17
12-16-2003, 02:54 AM
thanks mate I'll give it a go...