PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap

fred devliegher
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm trying to install the ME upgrade on a clean disk (spare me the "ME=demon spawn" rants). The manual says I have to insert the 95 or 98 CD when prompted, setup asks for a 98 CD and claims my 95 CD is not a full Windows version.
HELP !

(PS the bootdisk.com site seems to be down)

camille
12-16-2003, 01:46 PM
That's SOP!

fred devliegher
12-16-2003, 02:00 PM
I'm going to assume you mean Standard Operating Procedure...
Manual : (loose translation from Dutch)

[...]now place the product CD or -disk of A(!) complete version of Windows in the drive[...]

[...]you can verify an older version of Windows with all win98/95/workgroup disks[...]

I read : this thing should swallow win95 and setup ME. Instead , it ignores it's own manual - so I'm doing something wrong.

Constructive help , anyone?

(besides , the initial installation was done with a win95 disk)

camille
12-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Well perhaps your ME requires the original CD key!

balamm
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Maybe maybe maybe......

People, <_<

he has the windows 95 companion disk. It&#39;s a repair only disk that requires the original boot files on the hard drive.

You could spend the next 6 months looking for a setupup.exe file on the net or you can just get emule installed and download windows95c full.

It&#39;s that fkin simple&#33;

fred devliegher
12-16-2003, 02:14 PM
If by CD key you mean the 25-digit code on the orange sticker on the back of the CD-case , THAT one it accepts without problem...
Sequence of events : ME asks for code , accepts code , then asks to specify a folder or disc with a full Windows version... either on a hdd or CD/disk. I place the win95 CD , specify the "win95" folder , hit "advance". A box appears saying my disc isn&#39;t win98 - but the manual said I need OR 95 OR 98 OR workgroup. So either the manual&#39;s wrong or I am somehow , somewhere missing SOMETHING... just can&#39;t figure this one out. As it stands , I&#39;d have to get win98 THEN install ME over it , which seems to be an awful lot of trouble...

EDIT :missed that last post - thanks , finally something makes sense. Appreciate the help.

balamm
12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
You have a windows 95 repair disk and a windows ME upgrade disk.

From what you&#39;ve said, you do NOT have any full OS installation disks of any kind.

You need one. Go get it. You&#39;re just wasting time here.

fred devliegher
12-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Didn&#39;t think of that one , I only found one CD labeled win95 and assumed it was the "full" disc. Thanks for the help - I&#39;ll be more carefull in the future.
BTW , any easy way to recognise a repair disc "on sight"?

PS Knew I shouldn&#39;t have bothered with ME - might as well get 2K now...

balamm
12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
the disk you have is likely the companion disk. The only way to tell is to open it and look for executable files. There won&#39;t be a setup.exe on the companion. You can take it from another disk and it might work but you have to know what build you have and what build it&#39;s taken from and without installing it, that&#39;s a bit hard.

There are some great copies of windows ME and win2k on emule though. Get those and save yourself a lot of hassle.

fred devliegher
12-16-2003, 02:29 PM
I feel like I&#39;m repeating myself , but thanks.
Now I&#39;ve got to explain to the PC&#39;s owner why it won&#39;t work today...
Wish me luck.

camille
12-16-2003, 02:43 PM
You can cross your fingers now&#33;

Spindulik
12-16-2003, 05:21 PM
I can&#39;t believe that anyone would want to install "Windows me".

DWk
12-16-2003, 05:29 PM
i used to use it before winxp.... never had problems with it :) i mean...besides blue screen hehe

balamm
12-16-2003, 05:30 PM
it&#39;s a lifestyle choice for some.

I can&#39;t beleive anyone with advanced computer skills would want to install XP but it takes all kinds I guess.

DWk
12-16-2003, 05:32 PM
hehe :lol:

its ok balamm we all love you didnt your parents tell you that? :) :rolleyes:

Spindulik
12-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by balamm@16 December 2003 - 13:30
it&#39;s a lifestyle choice for some.

I can&#39;t beleive anyone with advanced computer skills would want to install XP but it takes all kinds I guess.
What OS do you suggest?

balamm
12-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Depends what you wanna do. If all you want is yahoo and a jukebox, then XP is fine.
There&#39;s some very interesting OS&#39;s that can do that and a whole lot more.

warp 4 is pretty cool. beos is interesting. any of the earlier NT systems and win2k are OK. Even they are a bit limited for my taste though. I prefer to run the advanced server version with no limits on what I can do or serve.

If you want the ultimate OS, it&#39;s gotta be knoppix at the moment. You don&#39;t need a hard drive, it&#39;s totally fool proof, and it&#39;s about time people got to know Linux.

You just throw in a CD and if anything goes wrong, reboot. It&#39;s exactly like it was the first time you ran it.

fred devliegher
12-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Lifestyle choice ? Try lack of time , money , and the fact that the CD was lying around...
The only reason ME was installed in the first place was because of an impressively skilled salesman and PC - unsavvy parents ( even compared to me...)

Spindulik
12-16-2003, 07:32 PM
I comfortable with XP Corp. SP1 for now. The NTFS is better than the FAT32. It does everything I need it to do. I don&#39;t have my PC setup as a server. I tweaked a lot of the spyware out of XP. I can do DVD movie editing in real time. My capture card works perfect in XP. All of my Unreal Tournament games and levels work great too. Drivers are readily available for my hardware.

I would like an operating system that uses only the resources that I actually need. No spyware. Antivirus software. Supports GeForce and ATI drivers and every hardware device I have. 3D video games, video editing and all of the goodies. And I want one road, nonstop, that goes directly from my driveway to where I work. Is this too much?

DWk
12-16-2003, 07:43 PM
w0ot :w00t: :rolleyes:

balamm
12-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@16 December 2003 - 12:32
I comfortable with XP Corp. SP1 for now. The NTFS is better than the FAT32. It does everything I need it to do. I don&#39;t have my PC setup as a server. I tweaked a lot of the spyware out of XP. I can do DVD movie editing in real time. My capture card works perfect in XP. All of my Unreal Tournament games and levels work great too. Drivers are readily available for my hardware.

I would like an operating system that uses only the resources that I actually need. No spyware. Antivirus software. Supports GeForce and ATI drivers and every hardware device I have. 3D video games, video editing and all of the goodies. And I want one road, nonstop, that goes directly from my driveway to where I work. Is this too much?
so you want movies and games. I&#39;d hardly call that advanced. Which was my point in the first place.

Depends what you wanna do. If all you want is yahoo and a jukebox, then XP is fine.

Spindulik
12-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by balamm+16 December 2003 - 15:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm &#064; 16 December 2003 - 15:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
so you want movies and games. I&#39;d hardly call that advanced. Which was my point in the first place.

[/b]

What do you define as "advanced computer skills"?

Back to my original question. What OS do you recommend? So I can edit movies, do my autocad and graphics, play games and surf the internet? All of the hardware needed and drives that match the OS too.

I have the following....

LAN card
Capture card
printer
scanner
sound card
GeForce VGA card
CDR burner
DVD burner
FAXmodem

I may add other devices later.

<!--QuoteBegin-balamm@16 December 2003 - 15:50

[/quote]

I like movies and games, but my advanced computer skills supersede that. Therefore that was &#39;not your point&#39;. Your point was "advanced computer skills" aimed at why &#39;would I use XP&#39;. Well, as an advanced user yourself, you should know that you have to be advancely skilled to use XP and make it work the way you want it to.

"Computers and Games". That&#39;s the entertainment portion of what I use my PC for. I also use it for many other things too, like graphic design, autocad, billing, calculations, programming in C/C++ and VB, web design, DATA logging gases, printing, recording pressure calibrations, submitting reports, send/receive FAX, image scanning, photo processing, bar coding and labeling, troubleshooting other computers, backup data, disk burning, EXCEL formulas/macros & address, etc....

I also build computers from scratch. More than I can remember. Most computers that I use are built by me. At home and at work. I know that most people want the newest version of Windows. Only one time I installed LINUX for somebody. I personally like Linux, but usually can&#39;t find drivers for hardware devices that doesn&#39;t have a flaw. I can&#39;t be bothered at the present time to configure drivers for other OS&#39;s when XP is fine for me.

Spindulik
12-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Are you familiar with PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers)? Or DCS? Can you connect a PC to a PLC, using a card (like Allen Bradley&#39;s SLC series) to measure a 4ma to 20ma reading? Can you convert that reading to a percent and and have it show up on a computer screen. Do you know how to set the alarms for high or low level? Do you know about trimming? Have you ever user a HART communicator? Do you know what one is? Do you know what an IP converter is? Can you convert the signal that it puts out into a readable scale? Do you know how to troubleshoot the PC and the software when errors occur?

I can easily do all of the above. From installing instruments in the field to programming software. I have been doing it for years. I get paid to do it. I enjoy it. Many facilities such as power plants, water treatment plants, glycol de-icing systems, chemical plants and wastewater plants are operating right now because of computer work that I contributed to them. The list goes on.

So believe it or not. My advanced computer skills still lead me to using Windows XP, for the current time.

Evil Gemini
12-17-2003, 04:15 PM
To tell you the truth, i use windows xp because i cant be fked with drivers for certain things.

Virtualbody1234
12-17-2003, 04:32 PM
@Spindulik, you&#39;re wasting your time trying to explain the benefits of XP to balamm. He is set in his ways. Time progresses forwards and he will stay back in the dark ages with his outdated OS.

DWk
12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
lol cmon guys....lets just say a person uses the OS that fits the most to him/herself

in my case, its XP.... for some it may be linux...

if u bash em for having something that seems bad to you...its the same as if you&#39;re being racist.... not good :(

ok? :) B)

balamm
12-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 09:32
@Spindulik, you&#39;re wasting your time trying to explain the benefits of XP to balamm. He is set in his ways. Time progresses forwards and he will stay back in the dark ages with his outdated OS.
And you will jump on any shiny new band wagon that comes along. You whore&#33;&#33;

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Get a grip on reality, you can do all of that on knoppix.

It&#39;s not a fuckin hockey team or your local high school you&#39;re rooting for, it&#39;s a collection of buggy data assembled by a collection of half baked nerds assisted by their coke habits. Grow up and recognize that.

Yes you "VB" Grow up&#33; You&#39;re never going to get an official jpeg police badge anyway so get over it. :P

Virtualbody1234
12-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Did I touch a nerve, balamm?

Spindulik
12-17-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 12:32
Thanks&#33;

All I am saying is, he is doubting my integrity in advanced computer skills. I never said XP is better than LINUX. I like LINUX, I have tried it, and it is very reliable. It is built from the ground up, however something simple like trying to make a new printer to work with LINUX sucks. You have to search and ask questions on finding drivers that work. Usually end up using some homemade software. The software selection (in a store) for LINUX is very limited.

I&#39;d say that all of the power plants that I have worked at, use Windows XP or 2000, right in their control rooms (the same room that Homer Simpson sits around in). Some plants use the "Mark 4 computer system", however, it is still reliant mainly on XP or sometimes 2000.

Other facilities use basic DOS programs, due to fail-safe programming and minimal software drivers.

balamm
12-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 11:29
Always, yes, you always get on everyone&#39;s nerves. ;)

It&#39;s very good that you can begin to see that and explore it though. It&#39;ll make your rehabilitation a little less painfull.

And if you ever really do get all growed up, I can help you learn a little more about subjects like the one that started this thread. Then maybe you can help with real answers too. Instead of just pretending, or bitching about jpegs I mean.

I&#39;m sure jpegs are very important to you and you must have quite a collection of them, but they aren&#39;t all you can do with a computer. Really, it&#39;s true&#33;

Virtualbody1234
12-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 12:29
I did. :rolleyes: :P

I.am
12-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by balamm@17 December 2003 - 13:18
collection of half baked nerds assisted by their coke habits.
:o you know me so well&#33;

how did you know about coke though http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/passifier.gif

http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/rofl.gif